Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Are you ladies alright?! I've been worried and not seeing many Island or East Coast ladies updating in the OT thread...

just wanted to share my 10yr old hair. I believe the simple reggie and double strand twist helped to reach WL. I wash DC and double strand twist her hair every 2 weeks.

Thanks for sharing g.lo. I like your regimen. Like you said...simple:)

PYT I hear ya! Ive been going nonstop for over a week and Im worn out. Finally off for a few days with no plans and will be in chill mode for sure! ITA MeowMix you are doing an awesome job with the challenge! Im lovin it ;)

Aw shucks Leslie_C. LOL. I'm just thrilled with all the wonderful ladies in this challenge. You too, thank for asking @BruanSugar about her 'shiny secret sauce';)

MeowMix....the hurricane didn't do me too bad. I left work an hour before it really hit, but it was already dumping rain and the wind was nuts. Was without utilities for a while. But frankly I can't complain. God is Good.

I'm doing fine...all is well. Had lots of time in the house to nourish my hair :-)

bajandoc86 & jprayze. Whew, I'm glad you all are alright. I still can't get over the scale of that storm. Your right bajandoc86. God is Good.

Hey ladies! Made it through that storm and disnt lose power or have too much damage.

I twisted my hair on Sunday, after fussing with it for about an hour. I wanted to bun, but it didn't want too. The twists are medium sized, I will probably keep them in for 2 weeks *fingers crossed*

I trimmed about 1/4" off. I was having a lot of breakage, but it was drastically reduced after my trim. Hoping to keep my ends in good shape, so I can stop trimming my progress.

So I haven't taken the braids down as of yet, but will be soon and hopefully getting Senegalese twists in to keep in for the rest of the year. I just don't have the attention span to be sitting there all day doing them. Lolzyz

But I do have a brand new regimen I want to try that I read in a book that was recommended. It involves water only rinses and daily moisturizing spraying of the hair to keep it mosturized. I think it'll work since I have extremely dry hair. I just hope it doesn't mess the twists up too much.

Leslie_C [USER][/USER]

Hey My hair is fine 4a medium density. I have been natural for 4 years. I wish it would grow more. It started out growing so fast. Now its seems to be staying the same.

I'm still in the challenge :) same style as ever..

I've been shifting my placement of my cornrows weekly

I'm looking for new ideas though..

no single braids or twists though.. take too long and I am not invested enough to spendt the time..

My twists have been in four bantu knots under a scarf since Saturday. I feel like such a bum. Sandy has us stuck inside, so I guess the good news is I've been very low manipulation and keeping up with my oiling this week.

My twists are no longer air drying soft. I have hard hair again :( ...Any suggestions on how to air dry my hair and keep soft hair throughout the day in these freezing temps? HighAspirations cute twists!

BraunSugar- Your twists are spectacular!

I'm still in mini braids, 2.5 weeks to go. I am wearing them pinned up, in buns, and in ponytails. I will be releasing the ends of the braids a little some time next week.

virtuenow said:
My twists are no longer air drying soft. I have hard hair again :( ...Any suggestions on how to air dry my hair and keep soft hair throughout the day in these freezing temps? HighAspirations cute twists!

virtuenow Thanks! and I keep my twists soft by using a shea butter leave in conditioner mix. my hair always dries soft springy and spongy!

@virtuenow Thanks! and I keep my twists soft by using a shea butter leave in conditioner mix. my hair always dries soft springy and spongy!

Thanks! Do you make the shea butter mix yourself; if so, what's in it? If not, what brand is it? Oh, I was going to say I like the look of min twists on short hair. I don't see it often, but it looks very nice. There are two twin girls in my Zumba class w/mini fro's, I'd love to twist their hair up :yep:.

virtuenow said:
Thanks! Do you make the shea butter mix yourself; if so, what's in it? If not, what brand is it? Oh, I was going to say I like the look of min twists on short hair. I don't see it often, but it looks very nice. There are two twin girls in my Zumba class w/mini fro's, I'd love to twist their hair up :yep:.

I use alba botanicals leave in conditioner and i put the stove on the lowest setting it will go on and add the conditioner and then the shea butter until it melts and i stir it up. You just want to melt the shea butter so no serious heat is needed and its only on the stove for a second. After that I put it into a container and I place it in the freezer for like 5 minutes. take it out shake it up and repeat until its whipped. about a 10 minute process. Just shea butter was too greasy for my hair, and I don't have the money to keep buying leave ins so this mixture is perfect. I'm sure any leave in will work.!

I'd suggest, reduce the co washing for now, until you get your softness back, and don't go outside with wet hair. Let it dry inside, or if you have to go outside, wear a hat until its completely done drying. Also maybe sealing with a heavier oil?

My twists are no longer air drying soft. I have hard hair again :( ...Any suggestions on how to air dry my hair and keep soft hair throughout the day in these freezing temps?
virtuenow - do you have a microfiber towel? After washing your hair, use this towel to soak up excess water. Once your hair is about 80% dry, apply your moisturizer and oil and then braid your hair and let it airdry. I used Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie and castor oil right now. Once your hair has completely airdried, then style your hair the way you want.

But before all that, make sure you are using a shampoo and conditioner that makes your hair soft. I was having problems airdrying myself because of Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo. It used to be great back in the day but they must have changed their formula or something. Now I'm back to using Garnier Fructis Length & Strength Shampoo. I also used the conditioner that goes with it. It made my hair soft after washing. After my hair airdried, it was soft as well.

Hope that helps.

Sent via Android LHCF App

Last edited:
My twists are no longer air drying soft. I have hard hair again :( ...Any suggestions on how to air dry my hair and keep soft hair throughout the day in these freezing temps? @HighAspirations cute twists!

virtuenow...is it possible you need to clarify? Usually when my hair stops responding to products it usually responds to, its probably build up. What are you moisturizing and sealing with? How are you air drying? I *thought* my hair adored EVCO, but when I was out of town I only took jojoba oil and figured out my hair really is much softer when I use that instead... Who knew?

@BraunSugar Definitely gonna whip up some of your moisturizer/leave-in :-)

BraunSugar Im gonna make some as well! The only thing Im missing is the FOTE Aloe gel...I cant seem to find it. Can I get it at walmart and where is it in the store?

@virtuenow - do you have a microfiber towel? After washing your hair, use this towel to soak up excess water. Once your hair is about 80% dry, apply your moisturizer and oil and then braid your hair and let it airdry. I used Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie and castor oil right now. Once your hair has completely airdried, then style your hair the way you want.

But before all that, make sure you are using a shampoo and conditioner that makes your hair soft. I was having problems airdrying myself because of Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo. It used to be great back in the day but they must have changed their formula or something. Now I'm back to using Garnier Fructis Length & Strength Shampoo. I also used the conditioner that goes with it. It made my hair soft after washing. After my hair airdried, it was soft as well.

Hope that helps.

Sent via Android LHCF App

ITA with this....Im really loving CON Argan Oil shampoo these days. My hair is really porous so I only quickly blot with a t shirt and that is enough bc my hair responds better to me applying products to pretty damp hair and detangling is easier that way too. If I apply the towel it will be practically dry and Id have to spritz it. I usually band or braid in about 6 sections to air dry now and then style from there.

I'm doing fine...all is well. Had lots of time in the house to nourish my hair :-)

jprayze. It's so cool that you made lemonade out of a huge lemon. So glad to hear you are doing well.

So I redid my twists and couldn't help but post my "model" pic lol

View attachment 174873

Hey HighAspirations. Look at you LOLing. Girl, you can be a model:)

I'm still in the challenge :) same style as ever..

I've been shifting my placement of my cornrows weekly

I'm looking for new ideas though..

no single braids or twists though.. take too long and I am not invested enough to spendt the time..

Itgirl

There is a Braid styles tumblr URL in the link below. Hope that helps.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=16918739&postcount=3

My twists have been in four bantu knots under a scarf since Saturday. I feel like such a bum. Sandy has us stuck inside, so I guess the good news is I've been very low manipulation and keeping up with my oiling this week.
NappyNelle. You and jprayze can be twins with the positivity. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Last edited:
Threw in some celie braids. Not worthy of being worn out so i will use my two or three days in between protective styles to wear a braidout then bun probably. Hope all our east coast ladies are keeping their heads up. What are your weekend plans, girls? :)

I just took my Celies out and currently stretching my hair in 4 big braids so I can wear it out if I go anywhere this weekend then buns,buns and more buns!

ForumRunner_20121101_212641.jpg

2012-11-01 19.19.51-1.jpg

Sent from my Android...Boom.

Trying to experiment with new buns. This is mine for today and Friday. I took it down today and will rebraid fresh in the AM. Since Monday I been stuck at home until today so my hair remained in four braids under bonnet. I spritzed and oiled daily.

ForumRunner_20121101_215006.jpg

Where are you ladies getting your banana clips? I didn't think natural hair could fit in them except I keep seeing lhcfers show pics wearing them. I bought a few Scuncci brand and just as I suspected, it snapped before I even came close to clasping it. I don't get it!

Back