Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Fhrizzball I like the way that came out!

QUESTION: Does anyone use Good Day hair pins? I'm scared of the regular bobby pins causing breakage. Are the Good Days any bettee? If so, why?

@Fhrizzball I like the way that came out!

QUESTION: Does anyone use Good Day hair pins? I'm scared of the regular bobby pins causing breakage. Are the Good Days any bettee? If so, why?

Froreal3

I use them and they're pretty decent. Sometimes they get too bulky though. I prefer using the long roller pins and as a last resort hair pins. I'm not good with hair pins as I can never get them to hold and have to end up using more pins as a result. I would like to try my hand at Amish pins or spin pins though.

Fhrizzball said:
Love the poodle skirt. Did you make it yourself?

So this was my hair for the day. I couldn't get cornrowing down so I just did some jumbo braids and tried this out. I never tried a frohawk before so it's a bit sloppy and I took the easy way out and used hairbands.

Thanks! All from party city but the cardigan :-)

Im feeling jetlagged and lazy! I didnt get to have my leisurely lazy hair day today bc had unexpected family in town so I ended up hanging out with them. Tomorrow gonna take my little man to the circus and I go back to work monday....cant miss my weekly DC soooo in order to fit it in Im gonna DC on dry hair overnight and wash it out in the AM. Im using this method more and more it seems, but its quick when youre busy and you still get to give your hair some TLC. No time to retwist so Im sure it will be a bun or grecian twist....maybe in another week Ill retwist. I think Im going to make it my goal to wear twists 2 weeks of the month and bun/updo 2 weeks of the month.

PSA: BEANIE Season is here! ;0) And Forever 21 has them for 4.50 to 6.50 each. As if I need another obsession in addition to my scarf and hair accessory obsession. So far I have black, tan, gray, mustard...looking for a multicolored one.

Froreal3

I love Good Hair Day Pins! Or Good Day Pins? Whatever they're called.... lol :lol: When My hair was longer I used them for buns on a regular basis. They hold my hair in place like no other...

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
*Buns, Buns and Mo' Buns!

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
*M&S, oil scalp/scalp massage, and detangle lightly every night then style the bun in the morning.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
*Texlaxed:)

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
*To be FULL BSL by December

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
I will be bunning the entire week. I will have two Flat Iron sessions in the meantime in the end of November and The beginning of December, only then will I use my week pass I wear it down for a couple days.

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

Attachments

• 3763_486239844743089_1681403179_n.jpg
    3763_486239844743089_1681403179_n.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 22
Leslie_C said:
Im feeling jetlagged and lazy! I didnt get to have my leisurely lazy hair day today bc had unexpected family in town so I ended up hanging out with them. Tomorrow gonna take my little man to the circus and I go back to work monday....cant miss my weekly DC soooo in order to fit it in Im gonna DC on dry hair overnight and wash it out in the AM. Im using this method more and more it seems, but its quick when youre busy and you still get to give your hair some TLC. No time to retwist so Im sure it will be a bun or grecian twist....maybe in another week Ill retwist. I think Im going to make it my goal to wear twists 2 weeks of the month and bun/updo 2 weeks of the month.

PSA: BEANIE Season is here! ;0) And Forever 21 has them for 4.50 to 6.50 each. As if I need another obsession in addition to my scarf and hair accessory obsession. So far I have black, tan, gray, mustard...looking for a multicolored one.

Thanks for the PSA! I would like to get some beanies this year.

Leslie_C. Oh, have fun at the circus. BTW, that is the only way I can get my DCs in lately. Thanks for the tip on beanies.

EnExitStageLeft :welcome4:. Got you on the list.

I wore a twist out yesterday and tried to pineapple it last night to get second-day hair: FAIL. But, I did get a nice, full bun out of it.

First two photos were after I took the pineapple down. Had a few stringy pieces in the back that just weren't going to work. Third one is after I detangled and the fourth is obviously the hair I lost. Last one is the bun.

Attachments

• 2012-10-28 09.35.52.jpg
    2012-10-28 09.35.52.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 2012-10-28 09.34.24.jpg
    2012-10-28 09.34.24.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 2012-10-28 09.44.47.jpg
    2012-10-28 09.44.47.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 2012-10-28 09.44.55.jpg
    2012-10-28 09.44.55.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 2012-10-28 09.54.07.jpg
    2012-10-28 09.54.07.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 32
Here are a couple more photos of the bun. I finger detangled the ends, not the roots. I'm 14 weeks post. I applied DB Transitioning Creme to my roots with an applicator bottle.

Attachments

• 2012-10-28 09.54.52.jpg
    2012-10-28 09.54.52.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 2012-10-28 09.55.09.jpg
    2012-10-28 09.55.09.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 2012-10-28 09.53.54.jpg
    2012-10-28 09.53.54.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 24
http://youtu.be/BY3YiC1RdhI

I am attempting this style but I'm not very good at flat twisting, or whatever she is doing in that video. If it comes out all right (big IF) then I will post a pic. If not, then at least the video is here if someone else wants to try it.

Perfexion said:
http://youtu.be/BY3YiC1RdhI

I am attempting this style but I'm not very good at flat twisting, or whatever she is doing in that video. If it comes out all right (big IF) then I will post a pic. If not, then at least the video is here if someone else wants to try it.

I like that style so much! I've looked at several tutorials and tried it a couple of times. I've tried as both a twist and as a braid style. I need to practice more before I'm ready to show any pics, though.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Okay I can already tell the grecian twist style is going to be an epic fail! I just can't flat twist to save my life! I also can't cornrow (hanging head in shame) No matter how much I practice and how many tutorial videos I watch I just can't get the hang of it. So I gave up and tried BraunSugar 's puff bun. Thanks for the style idea!

blog_attachment.php

Okay I can already tell the grecian twist style is going to be an epic fail! I just can't flat twist to save my life! I also can't cornrow (hanging head in shame) No matter how much I practice and how many tutorial videos I watch I just can't get the hang of it. So I gave up and tried @BraunSugar 's puff bun. Thanks for the style idea!

blog_attachment.php

Perfexion

You can always try a roll and tuck or do a bunch of twist and flat twist the twists. But yea I need to work on my flat twists as well because they're not as defined it seems.

So I still have yet wore my hair down since the challenge. I am making some changes to my routine. This weekend I was supposed to wash and deep condition my hair and then braid and bun it the next day. What I ended up doing was prepoo with coconut oil and I was too lazy to wash it out so I left it in for almost ten to twelve hours. I finally washed it out by cowashing. I think I will clarify my hair once a month and cowash twice a week. I already cowash once a week so now this would make two. I then deep conditioned (which I am doing twice a week) then I placed my hair in four braids to dry. Since I have no work tomorrow because of the hurricane I think I will leave them in the braids and bonnet until Tuesday morning. That was a nice treatment for my hair. So Tuesday back up in a bun my hair goes. This challenge is really helping me focus on my hair and taking better care of it. I make sure that comb does not go into my hair unless I am cowashing it and now that's twice a week. I finger style and maybe lightly brush the top of my hair to push it in a bun but just lightly. I am seeing that my hair is responding very well to my new regimen and my bunning. I am very excited to see the end results. If things go well by Dec 31st I might just continue this routine.

Okay I can already tell the grecian twist style is going to be an epic fail! I just can't flat twist to save my life! I also can't cornrow (hanging head in shame) No matter how much I practice and how many tutorial videos I watch I just can't get the hang of it. So I gave up and tried BraunSugar 's puff bun. Thanks for the style idea!

blog_attachment.php

Perfexion. I was the same way. IMHO if you practice around 5 times, your fingers will just start taking over. You'll get it.

. I am seeing that my hair is responding very well to my new regimen and my bunning. I am very excited to see the end results. If things go well by Dec 31st I might just continue this routine.

Growingmyhairlong. Yeah :trampolin. There's something about letting people know what you're doing with your hair that makes it thrive.

Thank you BraunSugar, Fhrizzball & Froreal3 for your tips and encouragement. To any challenger that I've missed, my apologies. I'm trying to get more organized y'all, please bear with me. :duck:

i think im going to TRY to leave these braids in for a few weeks. the operative word is TRY. haha. they are pretty small, so im not about to take them out after only a few days or a week, but im not sure exactly how long i'll leave them in.

Off tomorrow due to Sandy, so I will twist tomorrow and keep in until I go back to work for a lovely Twistout :-)

anyone else rinse twists & braids right after they do them? i know it's weird because i just did them and it's a "fresh style" and all, but i haaaaate the way my twists and braids look right after they're done, so pretty much anytime i do them, i hop right in the shower when im done to rinse. to me, they look "fresher" after being rinsed.

edit: dangit. i dont "hope" in the shower, i "hop" in the shower...well i guess i hope everywhere...but that's now what i wanted to say.

Last edited:
yeah, im off tomorrow, too...as well as tuesday (as of now). the college canceled classes for both monday & tuesday which means im off from both school & work (my job is on campus). i dunno if they'll change anything. it's very rare for this school to announce a closing this early...let alone 2 days in a row...that's like WHOA...WHAAA???? haha. never happens.

anyone else rinse twists & braids right after they do them? i know it's weird because i just did them and it's a "fresh style" and all, but i haaaaate the way my twists and braids look right after they're done, so pretty much anytime i do them, i hope right in the shower when im done to rinse. to me, they look "fresher" after being rinsed.

I believe Nonie does. I think she has posted her regimen in several threads.

anyone else rinse twists & braids right after they do them? i know it's weird because i just did them and it's a "fresh style" and all, but i haaaaate the way my twists and braids look right after they're done, so pretty much anytime i do them, i hope right in the shower when im done to rinse. to me, they look "fresher" after being rinsed.

youwillrise I do, I rinse my twists right after I do them. I like the way freshly rinsed twists look better than anything. They look new after each rinse-- bouncy, thick and shiny. I love the way you can renew twists so easily. I think you're missing out on a lot if you don't ever rinse your twists.

Back