Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Ahhhhhh you ladies are looking great! I love seeing the hair posts. I'm so shocked MsDee14 snipped! :shocked:

It took me 14, yes FOURTEEN hours to twist my hair. :nono: These puppies are staying in for a long time.

From wonky braidout

IMG_0741.jpg

To my bun of the day

IMG_0744.jpg

The back of my hair from out styles are always so flat so I would really love to get some layers in but I don't trust myself to do it yet at the same time I don't trust anybody else. Maybe when I finally get some decent length I will bite the bullet and get it done. That and perhaps even decent highlights I've been craving.

Also I can't wait until my hair is long enough to do this type of sock bun. Instead of doing it the regular way, she keeps rolling it so it looks fuller and fully hides the end. I think it all looks way more natural too.

Here's a video comparing the two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM#t=02m00s

And here's the easier way she does her sock bun now as opposed to the first video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3CryIfIyK8#t=02m19s

eta: sorry for the size

Fhrizzball - How did you get your hair to look so shiny? Did you use some type of oil or pomade?

For some reason, this morning, my bun turned out looking dry and non-shiny. I was expecting the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie to give me shine. I am thinking because I did not use oil throughout my hair. I only put some castor oil on the ends of my hair. Did you put oil on all of your hair while it was airdrying in the braidout?

I just dc'd and am twisting my hair. Yesterday took EVERYTHING out of me as I twisted dd's hair....small twists (not quite minis, but close). The bright side is that she can keep those for 3 weeks. I will probably cowash mid-way and keep her moisturized of course. I'm switching to a flat twist updo in a few days...

hay ladies ... Im gonna be rogue this week .... twist outs and puffs.
Just declaring my hand.

Im retwisting every night though :giggle:

I have a strange question. Has anyone ever experienced a very concentrated soreness on the scalp, and then determined it to be from literally one "bad" strand of hair? This happens to me randomly like every 4-5 months. Just the other day after finishing my twists, a tiny section of my scalp was extremely sore, so i took the twist out that it was under, and then i started slowly pulling strands away to figure out exactly where the soreness was coming from, and then I just pulled the strand out from the root that hurt the most when I was separating the strands, and the soreness went away completely. This happens on my scalp, eyebrow hairs, and eye lashes very very infrequently, but its still strange. Has this happened to anyone?

@Fhrizzball - How did you get your hair to look so shiny? Did you use some type of oil or pomade?

For some reason, this morning, my bun turned out looking dry and non-shiny. I was expecting the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie to give me shine. I am thinking because I did not use oil throughout my hair. I only put some castor oil on the ends of my hair. Did you put oil on all of your hair while it was airdrying in the braidout?

Poohbear

My hair only looks shiny in pictures at least to me. Now Mahoganyknots on YouTube has some shiny hair :lick: . But I do apply oil to my hair a lot and at the moment it's a mix of JBCO and EVOO. I do it midshaft to ends and a bit on my edges. When I finger detangle I always use oil as well as my regular hair products as it helps me not waste so much hair product. Also using a silk scarf as opposed to just a bonnet or pillowcase helps me up the shine a bit for some reason.

SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie does nothing for shine for me although it helps keeps my hair moisturized for days. I used oil on top of my hair products to seal this go around so that also helped with the shine factor for me.

Your bun looks nice and full though. I think I'm so heavy handed that it weighs my buns down and makes them more compact so I have to work on that. Until then, I have my trusty sock buns.

Thanks Fhrizzball. My hair always tends to look like it's on the dry side right after airdrying. When I got home from work today, I spray my hair down the the Shea Moisture Mist and then applied some more Curl Enhancing Smoothie, and then applied castor oil to sections of my hair before plaiting it up. Tomorrow, I'm thinking about doing a sock bun and leaving my hair in that sock bun without taking it out until my next wash day.

Yea I'm going to attempt to sleep in mine and hope it won't be too much of a problem. Usually I just plait it up at night but my roots shrink up due to the added products I need to properly finger detangle it. I may perhaps just take down the sock and leave the ponytail in and work from there. Still trying to work out the kinks.

I have a strange question. Has anyone ever experienced a very concentrated soreness on the scalp, and then determined it to be from literally one "bad" strand of hair? This happens to me randomly like every 4-5 months. Just the other day after finishing my twists, a tiny section of my scalp was extremely sore, so i took the twist out that it was under, and then i started slowly pulling strands away to figure out exactly where the soreness was coming from, and then I just pulled the strand out from the root that hurt the most when I was separating the strands, and the soreness went away completely. This happens on my scalp, eyebrow hairs, and eye lashes very very infrequently, but its still strange. Has this happened to anyone?

Happens on my eyelashes sometimes...never had it w/my hair.

Victoria44, yes this has happened to me before. It's one of the reasons I don't wear two strand twists that much anymore. It usually happens when I do the "grab and twist" method without doing any neat parts.

Sent via Android LHCF App

After 3 weeks in buns, I'm back in twists... Gave my hair a much needed all day deep condition (ORS replenishing pack) and used Oyin products for everything else. Oh and also Tropic Isle Living JBCO hair food on my ends -- recently started using this and really like the way it makes my hair feel. A little goes a long way.

:yay: :party: :woot: :clapping: :bouncy:

:yahoo:

:sweet:

I am now officially two years relaxer free!!

P1020780.JPG

I bought some toys at the BSS today. Gonna do a top knot and use the feather clip I bought.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Dang, I missed picture day again. :grinwink:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17091371&postcount=608

Thank you NappyNelle. Hmm it says you can do that style on N/L. I might have to try it.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17095053&postcount=619

IMFOCSD. Your hair looks good for 10 days. Mine’s pretty frizzy 4 days in:sad:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17095783&postcount=621

Growingmyhairlong. Your bun is so big and shiny:yep:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17095789&postcount=622

Nix08. Are you sure you’re style challenged?;) That’s a nice style.:yep:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17096021&postcount=626

MsDee14. Your ends are looking good. :clapping:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17096029&postcount=627

Poohbear. Oh, the style :drool:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17096293&postcount=629

Thank you for the tutorial BGT :wave:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17096751&postcount=630

Hey NikkiQ. Wasn’t that one of things you wanted for your hair upthread? :waytogo:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17097639&postcount=632

@Frhrizball. From ‘wonky’ :lachen: to FIERCE. :superbanana:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17101005&postcount=643

Tibbar. Your hair is so shiny. Sounds like someone had a hair day:bath:

Last edited:
Tibbar Congrats on two years!! :party:

Fhrizzball Your wonky and bun look pretty to me! I wish my 'wonky' looked as deliberate as yours. :lol:

Poohbear If I'm interested in shine, I use an oil-based moisturizer on damp hair, then allow to dry in braids. I'm never tried the SM products, but maybe adding hempseed oil will help? (I get tons of shine from hemp seed oil, but the scent isn't the greatest.)

Victoria44 I get this with my eyelashes and eyebrows about 3-4x a year; I've never had scalp soreness due to one hair strand/follicle. I didn't realize this was so common. I thought I was just weird. Does that mean the follicle is infected or something?

Nonie Have you ever had the experience Victoria described?

@Nonie Have you ever had the experience Victoria described?

NappyNelle, I've had a painful point on my scalp but in the cases I remember, it's because I twisted a little too tight or when I styled my hair, a twist got pulled tighter than I intended...or a headwrap pulled against a twist. I have even been guilty of pulling just one hair. Like since I part my hair with fingers when twisting, a hair that doesn't belong might end up in a twist then when I do another it gets pulled in a way that hurts and that alerts me to that one hair being stretched by the wrong twist.

Now just like you can get pimples on parts of your body, you can get the same on the scalp (acne), or an inflamed hair follicle (Folliculitis), or a cyst just from a plugged sebaceous gland duct at the base of the hair follicle.

Rather than yank the hair out, I instead massage my scalp in the painful area, and I usually undo the twist and leave that area loose even after massaging to let the follicles heal. Since I always assume pain means "unhappy follicles" I'm careful not to cause them anymore trauma so I massage in the hope that increased blood circulation will bring some healing of sorts (eg nutrients to build and to protect body cells). Pulling the painful hair IMO would be doing what happens in traction alopecia: hair is pulled until hair follicles are damage and hair stops growing in that area.

If I don't want to leave the hair loose, I will usually retwist the area with the painful follicle very loosely and then put all my twists up in a way that that particular twist is so loose it's practically bulging out of the do. The pain seems to go away in a day or so. I do believe it's easy for one hair to be pulled by itself. Even when I've put my hair up in a puff, I may have one section that feels as if the strand of hair got caught in the fibers of the friendly elastic and got pulled more than the others.

Okay ladies. I put my hair in a donut bun this morning. It looks much better after re-moisturizing and sealing with more castor oil. I plan on keeping my hair in this bun all week until I wash my hair on Sunday:

IMAG1378.jpg

IMAG1379.jpg

My update:

Been real sick the past week, and I was at the docs yesterday. I managed to co-wash, air dry, moisturize, and flat twist the front half of my hair. I will try to finish flat twisting the back half of my hair tonight.

ETA: Confession!!! I'm really tempted to install Kinky Twists! I miss them, I've never worn my natural hair out in the winter...I'm scared :sekret:

Last edited:
Okay ladies. I put my hair in a donut bun this morning. It looks much better after re-moisturizing and sealing with more castor oil. I plan on keeping my hair in this bun all week until I wash my hair on Sunday:

My update:

Been real sick the past week, and I was at the docs yesterday. I managed to co-wash, air dry, moisturize, and flat twist the front half of my hair. I will try to finish flat twisting the back half of my hair tonight.

ETA: Confession!!! I'm really tempted to install Kinky Twists! I miss them, I've never worn my natural hair out in the winter...I'm scared :sekret:

So I baggied my bun and slept in it like that but it was a little awkward. I don't think I will do that again but rather just sleep in the ponytail and have it stretched via twists or plaits. I'm going to the gym again tonight so hopefully I won't be sweating up a storm as I don't feel up to cowashing my hair each time I work out. If it gets that bad I will just re plait my hair giving my scalp air to breath. I hear castor oil is a good anti-fungal so maybe I'll have success using that. It's just so doggone thick to apply that I end up mixing it with olive oil but then I'm never sure if my scalp is getting enough of the actual castor oil to make a difference.

Poohbear

See you have awesome shine right there. Is your hair coloured by the way or is that just the lighting?

SoopremeBeing

Don't worry I've been so tempted to get crochet braids myself. I think the only thing that's stopping me is that I can't properly cornrow for the life of me.

So I baggied my bun and slept in it like that but it was a little awkward. I don't think I will do that again but rather just sleep in the ponytail and have it stretched via twists or plaits. I'm going to the gym again tonight so hopefully I won't be sweating up a storm as I don't feel up to cowashing my hair each time I work out. If it gets that bad I will just re plait my hair giving my scalp air to breath. I hear castor oil is a good anti-fungal so maybe I'll have success using that. It's just so doggone thick to apply that I end up mixing it with olive oil but then I'm never sure if my scalp is getting enough of the actual castor oil to make a difference.

Poohbear

See you have awesome shine right there. Is your hair coloured by the way or is that just the lighting?
Fhrizzball - Thanks. It was that castor oil. My hair is colored. I got it colored back in July. ;)

So I wahsed and DC overnight ususng ors replenishin conditioner and decided to do something simple this round.

ForumRunner_20121023_134529.jpg

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Back