Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Victoria44 a month :yep: I so enjoy mini twists because it's like you can enjoy your length and versatility without straightening!

NikkiQ I definitely get in those moods about my hair. What's got you feeling annoyed?

Victoria44 a month :yep: I so enjoy mini twists because it's like you can enjoy your length and versatility without straightening!

NikkiQ I definitely get in those moods about my hair. What's got you feeling annoyed?

Tired of fighting the fuzz. Just redid these things Wednesday and they already look a month old :nono:

Sent from my Android...Boom.

MeowMix I LOOOOVE IT!! Thankfully, no one has asked me stupid /prying/ unneccessary questions. I get to eat and drink when I want, I always have a plethora of seats to choose from, no one accuses me of doing drugs when I pull out my pillbox, I can wear what I want… AND MY GIRLS ARE AWESOME.

I really, really like this job. :grin:

Victoria44 :shocked: :drool:

I plan on twisting this weekend, so I'll be pampering my hair, starting tonight with an oil pre-poo.

Here is my bun from today. I started with the tall twisted bun, and then changed it to a looser tuck bun.

Try not to laugh too hard at my edges. I am diligently working on them, and I've pretty much stopped all brush usage. :ohwell:

Attachments

• DSC03031.jpg
    DSC03031.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC03018.jpg
    DSC03018.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC03015.jpg
    DSC03015.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC03016.jpg
    DSC03016.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 56
Okay here we go!

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Mostly braids/Celies. Haven't had the guts to try a bun yet.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Shampoo,DC, detangle, braid, leave in for 2 weeks at a time. Apply MN mixture daily. M&S whenever I can remember. I'm pretty bad at that.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length retention :yep:

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I usually don't wear my hair out so I'll just pick 2 days

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

That is some nice growth! congrats!

That is some nice growth! congrats!

:blush: Thanks!!

Ladies,do any of you guys have a problem with your ends like this? Idk what to do. My BFF just thinks I should cut em off,but this ***** can grow 2" of hair in like 2 weeks so cutting hair is no big deal to her.

2012-10-19 21.23.21-1.jpg

NikkiQ Don't cut those ends off! When's the last time you dusted, how are you moisturizing your ends, are you braiding all the way to the ends, and have you considered smaller braids?

NikkiQ Don't cut those ends off! When's the last time you dusted, how are you moisturizing your ends, are you braiding all the way to the ends, and have you considered smaller braids?

I tend to dust ever 2 months or so while in braids. I can't braid to the end since my hair is so darn uneven. I twist the ends which is easier,but it never stays twisted. I apply SM yucca and aloe thickening growth milk or spray a Talijah Waajid or however you spell it product al over my ends daily or every other day. Even with smaller braids,I get the fluffy ends :(

BraunSugar thanks! and yea, they're definitely easier to take down than braids, but if you wash frequently I think they get shorter than mini braids would.

jesusislove1526 thank you, and yours look amazing!

NikkiQ

Have you tried continuing the braid to the end by borrowing from other pieces? I know it's not good to borrow when aiming for twist outs, but its very inconspicuous in braids, especially smaller ones, you just have to be careful in the take down. I just think if its braided all the way down, the poofiness would be less drastic because its a tighter hold than twists at the end. A lot of my braids are uneven at the ends too, and that's how i try to fix it.

@NikkiQ

Have you tried continuing the braid to the end by borrowing from other pieces? I know it's not good to borrow when aiming for twist outs, but its very inconspicuous in braids, especially smaller ones, you just have to be careful in the take down. I just think if its braided all the way down, the poofiness would be less drastic because its a tighter hold than twists at the end. A lot of my braids are uneven at the ends too, and that's how i try to fix it.

This is a good point. I have borrowed while braiding because my hair is layered. I've also coiled my ends too. It makes them look "neater" at the ends.

I seal my ends with something heavy because my ends can get very dry in twists or braids if I don't seal my ends with a heavy oil.

This thread is hard to understand b/c no one uses quotes!

MeowMix;17080559 @[URL="http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=10150" said:
virtuenow[/URL]. After looking at BraunSugar's Flaxseed WnG, I'm thinking flaxseed gel might do it. What do you think @BraunSugar? Thank you for letting me copy this.:)

MeowMix I will check out the flaxseed. I've been curious about it since Naptural85 did a video about it.

Victoria44 I think those are almost micro twists. Good job & good retention. How long will you keep those in? I plan to do my next twist set in micro's and will leave them in a longer time (to make it count!).

MeowMix I will check out the flaxseed. I've been curious about it since Naptural85 did a video about it.

Victoria44 I think those are almost micro twists. Good job & good retention. How long will you keep those in? I plan to do my next twist set in micro's and will leave them in a longer time (to make it count!).

lol i should start quoting more

I'm really realllly going to try for a month, but the longest ive ever gone was 12 days :ohwell: I think I'll have to maybe re-do the front half way through, just to play in my hair and get over the urge to take the whole thing out.

I can't wait to see yours!

Thinking aloud...bunned all week like a good girl so...I think I will wash n go this weekend and start wet buns with banana clips on Monday. Sounds like a plan!

@NikkiQ

I've never tried that before. I might have to try it next time...whenever that may be. Obviously I'm not the best braider in the world, but it's worth a shot!

jprayze said:
Thinking aloud...bunned all week like a good girl so...I think I will wash n go this weekend and start wet buns with banana clips on Monday. Sounds like a plan!

You all are such good influences! I put the wng into 2 buns!

image-3575921740.jpg

image-2036704536.jpg

Here is my bun from today. I started with the tall twisted bun, and then changed it to a looser tuck bun.

Try not to laugh too hard at my edges. I am diligently working on them, and I've pretty much stopped all brush usage. :ohwell:

NappyNelle, your bun is the size of a softball. I can't wait till my lil cotton ball grows up:lol:

virtuenow. Thanks for looking out. Will be quoting.:yep:

You all are such good influences! I put the wng into 2 buns!

jprayze Nice job. You've influenced me to do two buns.:yep:

I never officially joined this challenge, but I have been bunning and french braiding daily since I decided to increase my workouts this month. I would love to join officially though because I put myself in a personal challenge for a healthier body and longer, healthier hair and buns and french braids are working like a charm!! I'll be back to post picts of my styles soon!!

Thanks ladies!

Thanks for the compliments ladies! I remember when I couldn't bun at all, and sometimes I'm really shocked to see such a change in size. My bun was definitely weave checked several times yesterday.

NikkiQ Your hair is getting soooo long! My ends actually do the same thing, so I'm collecting everyone else's answers. Even in my night time and conditioning braids I have to twist the end to avoid the little poof.

Ok, ok, I'll multi-quote more often. :wink2:

Last edited:
Wore these braids in a high pony today with a pink headband for a Breast Cancer/CrossFit event. Tonight is the Zombie prom so I'll be wearing a wig for my costume. Is that okay??

I've been severely neglecting my hair over the past year. Had to trim. The center of my head is very dry and damaged so I think the co washing and bunning will help. I also want my ends to thicken up too. I'll be taking biotin which really helps with my growth. Going to do more protein treatments and DC treatments and adding castor oil and coconut oil to my regimen.

Btw that was my first time trying the instyller. The results were great!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-756338563.jpg
    image-756338563.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 27
  • image-415746070.jpg
    image-415746070.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I thought I added this info, but I guess not. Whoops!

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Bunning
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Dry DC alternating moisture one week, then protein the next. Cowash with Wen, followed by leave-ins. Air dry, then bun.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Relaxed every 12 weeks usually, but trying to go longer.
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Better retention and APL sometime next year.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days (twist outs)
Starting pics:
1. After a trim about a month ago
2. High bun with my hair and bobby pins
3. Southern tease bun

Attachments

• 2012-09-23 14.24.42.jpg
    2012-09-23 14.24.42.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 2012-07-07 20.27.41.jpg
    2012-07-07 20.27.41.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 2012-07-07 16.21.46.jpg
    2012-07-07 16.21.46.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 31
BGT said:
That top knot is cute. How'd you do it?

I pulled my hair into a ponytail at the top of my head with a Goody elastic (the kind with rubber grips), then I wrapped a scrunchie (dipped in grape seed oil) around twice so that the fabric is still full ( if that makes sense), then I fanned my hair around it and pinned it with hair pins. Added a Goody flower clip (bought at Target)

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Will be taking out my mini twists tomorrow. I cowashed & DC'd today, but they didn't hold up well. I have a lot of sheds hanging from the twists. To prevent knots, tangles, I feel it's best to remove :sad:.

I'll try to bun or do a flat twist style. Maybe play around with my banana clip.

I pulled my hair into a ponytail at the top of my head with a Goody elastic (the kind with rubber grips), then I wrapped a scrunchie (dipped in grape seed oil) around twice so that the fabric is still full ( if that makes sense), then I fanned my hair around it and pinned it with hair pins. Added a Goody flower clip (bought at Target)

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing. Always looking for different bun styles to keep it interesting.:spinning:

Back