Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Guess I'll share my donut bun pics. Haven't done on of these for some YEARS! :lol:

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 32
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 35
virtuenow, thank you mam - these were very helpful!

Three videos that give good tips on how to do mini twists, wash them and avoid unraveling. It allows so much freedom to have the option of washing and DC your twists. The first two are by

Both have shown great growth by using mini twists as a long term protective style :yep:

ETA: Had to add a fourth video by my favorite youtuber, AFR0ST0RY, She also uses micro twists as a long term protective style and has a good wash technique video

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Medium Braids
2. What is your style maintenance regimen?

I maintain by re-doing once a week, and through out the week I moisturize daily with CURLS second day curl spray, along with coconuit oil, and Olive Oil.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?

Natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?

I have been doing this before I knew there was a challege so I hope that I keep up with the results that I have been having while trying to keep my hands out of my hair everyday... This isnt more of a challenge for me.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?

2 days... IF i wear actually let it breathe..
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

I will be back with this picture... (:

Hi ladies! I'm excited bunning is really paying off. Here are some progress pics ova the past 6 months.

Attachments

• DSCF1055.jpg
    DSCF1055.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF1118.jpg
    DSCF1118.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 81
I ended up wearing my hair out for 3 days... oops! My twist out was just so cute I couldn't help it!

I washed my hair with my new wen products and retwisted. Wen's cleansing conditioner is definitely gonna be a staple! I'm still iffy about their "deep conditioner." it has shea butter in it... and my hair doesn't really respond to that. I will give it another shot next week.

Are any naturals only detangling with fingers? I did that for the 2nd time. I hope I don't regret it and find matting.

Growingmyhairlong That is a cute bun! And you say it's tension free?! You've hit the jackpot there.

Are any naturals only detangling with fingers? I did that for the 2nd time. I hope I don't regret it and find matting.

isawstars I only finger detangle. I don't remember the last time I used a comb through my hair; maybe it's been 2.5 years? :look: I only have a problem if I air dry my hair in braids, and neglect to moisturize while my hair is still damp. My roots will try to mesh in little sections, making it difficult to detangle or part my hair.

I do plan on getting one or two seamless combs whenever IDareT'sHair posts the Black Friday / Holiday Season online sales information, but I will still use my fingers as my primary detangling method.

ETA: I received three compliments on my hair today! I wore my twists in my regular half up, half down style. I 'feel' like my hair is growing because my bangs hang so much further than they used to.

Last edited:
isawstars said:

I also haven't used a comb on my hair for awhile now too. It's alright as far as feeling detangled but what really got me was how my curls clumped so much better and frizz just about completely disappeared.

Putting in my mini twists right now! I'll likely be done tomorrow but I'm going to spend the next couple hours twisting before I call it a night.

NappyNelle

:blush:....:lol:

I hope we do find some Great BF Sales this year.

I'd like to have back ups for a couple of my Bone Combs I got from Hairsense. I should convo' her to see if she's having BF Sales.:look:

So today I went back to my donut bun. I didn't think you guys would want to see pictures of the same bun that I been wearing off and on for a week. Anyway, I did some things differently this time. I wrapped the donut with a satin scarf and sewed it. I oiled the thread so that it can have some goodness in it (since it will be touching my hair lol) I then sprayed my ends with water and coconut oil mix and sealed with vasaline and tucked it under the bun. Lets see how well my ends are by the end of day.

TruMe

yes! I noticed my curls clump better too!! I wasn't sure if it was the new products I was using or what. It must be the finger detangling like you said.

NappyNelle

Please post photos of your "do." I need to figure out how to pin up my short twists. they're starting to rub against my shoulders... which is exciting but also a bad thing.

I haven't been posting but have still been doing nothing but twists, buns, and updos. I have a two and a half month progress pic. It's slight but I can tell a difference .

Attachments

• image-377491824.jpg
    image-377491824.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 30
280419514268987509_E7PbH3Bo_c.jpg

This this as my bun for today. Well a variation of it as I can't locate my sock for a sock bun and ended up flat twisting as I can't cornroll decent enough. Even my flat twists look shoddy but it'll do for today. I did braided pigtails last night and that just made my roots tangly so I should learn my lesson and stop taking the easy way out.

Style for the next week...or 2 ☺. My stylist confirmed that my hair is growing and gaining thickness.

Attachments

• image-3540094818.jpg
    image-3540094818.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 27
I thought my bun style would last longer than two days but I'm a wild sleeper I guess. I had to wash my hair and start all over again.
picture.php

So I wet styled with ecostyler gel, Surge spray, MN on my scalp and Care free curl instant moisturizer all over. Now it's drying under a du rag because I'm not going outside today. That little roll thing in the front actually makes my hair neater and helps it to last longer. Hopefully it will be nice and set for tomorrow when I go out.

P.S. Sorry the picture is so big.

Thank you all so much for encouraging each other. There is a lot of wonderful knowledge that is being shared.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=16973723&postcount=196

tapioca_pudding. Ah, SimplYounique one of my hair 'all stars'. Would you mind if I paste this in' styles and inspiration' post?

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17097639&postcount=632

Fhrizzball. I wouldn't have thought to look at other textures for style ideas. Thanks for this. Can I post please?

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17113461&postcount=678

virtuenow I didn't know about AFROSTORY. I like her style. Can I put this in the inspiration post? Thanks for this.

Last edited:
Back