Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Yesterday's hair:

frenchroll1_zpsf2f5f0a4.jpg

frenchroll2_zpsfa342bec.jpg

WnG converted to french roll. I'm wearing a bun today.

@Fhrizzball - Thanks. It was that castor oil. My hair is colored. I got it colored back in July. ;)

Sent via Android LHCF App

Did you have to bleach it? I dyeing to get to get my hair coloured but bleaching it scares me off. Last time I used dye though it sadly didn't take so I would probably have to bite the bullet and bleach it first if I want colour to show up on my hair.

Did you have to bleach it? I dyeing to get to get my hair coloured but bleaching it scares me off. Last time I used dye though it sadly didn't take so I would probably have to bite the bullet and bleach it first if I want colour to show up on my hair.

Fhrizzball - nope, my hair wasn't bleached. A stylist in Los Angeles, CA colored my hair. I don't know what she used but I know it was not bleach because she said she doesn't use bleach to color clients' hair. ;)

my doughnut bun i have been wearing for the past 2 days! done on wet hair straight after cowashing.

Attachments

• S1370034_zps6d098077.jpg
    S1370034_zps6d098077.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I decided not to wear my donut bun to bed. It was too big to be laying on. :lol: I know I move around alot when I sleep and I can already imagine the ponytail holder and donut bun probably breaking my hair strands on the sides of my head. But anyway, I put my hair in two loose braids, one on each side of my head....

...contemplating putting my hair into a protective updo style instead of a bun tomorrow... :look: ... not sure yet, we'll see... :spinning:

I decided not to wear my donut bun to bed. It was too big to be laying on. :lol: I know I move around alot when I sleep and I can already imagine the ponytail holder and donut bun probably breaking my hair strands on the sides of my head. But anyway, I put my hair in two loose braids, one on each side of my head....

...contemplating putting my hair into a protective updo style instead of a bun tomorrow... :look: ... not sure yet, we'll see... :spinning:

Take pictures!

Mid-week update: So I am updating now because I i wont be doing my weekly wash this up-coming weekend.

So yesterday I braided my hair and put beads and shells on the end with foil. I'm planning on dressing up as a pirate. So here is a pic.

Attachments

• downsized_1023120351.jpg
    downsized_1023120351.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 29
I hope it's not too late to join. I've been lurking for a while but now I have a picture.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Buns
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Wet bunning in the shower, spritz with instant moisturizer, slick back with gel
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Three inches
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? Two days
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
picture.php

Last edited:
Three videos that give good tips on how to do mini twists, wash them and avoid unraveling. It allows so much freedom to have the option of washing and DC your twists. The first two are by Naptural85:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdlunJnsvmI&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqbIJpGgTtM&feature=youtu.be

The third video is another technique for washing mini twists by Naturalhairgrowth101 (Ms Lala) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMVmVuG6SI0

Both have shown great growth by using mini twists as a long term protective style :yep:

ETA: Had to add a fourth video by my favorite youtuber, AFR0ST0RY, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nd2U_v7_Eo&feature=plcp She also uses micro twists as a long term protective style and has a good wash technique video

Last edited:
I realize that since I have been doing this challenge I have not wore my hair down not once. I am proud of myself. When I take my hair down from the bun it goes straight up into two damp braids for the night and a bun again the next day.

I think I'm going to invest in some claw clamps and MAYBE some banana clips to help me recreate some of the super cute buns you ladies are rockin in here.

Sent from my Android...Boom.

Hey ladies!

I took my mini-twists out on Saturday - I think that made 2 weeks. Seems thats the longest I can go without washing, and when I wash the twists just go HAM!

I detangled last night 1.5 hrs! Ugh! I'm bunning now, and I think this style will be a keeper :yep:. My hair is shorter in the front so I rolled and pinned about 1/3 of my hair and bunned the back. This is the bomb for those with shorter hair.

The 2nd pic is how I wore my hair for a couple days - before I detangled - minit-twist out rolled, tucked, and pinned.

Attachments

• halfbun.JPG
    halfbun.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 41
  • RollTuckPin.JPG
    RollTuckPin.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 49
g.lo

Do you take down your bun at night or leave it in by the way?

hi, I don't take the bun down, i sleep with it that way. all my buns are very loose (otherwise i get headaches), i can only use banana clips or doughnut bun without the lastic band, just the scrunchie!

Poohbear, ohlalalala, jolie, jolie!!!! this challenge is so inspiring for us who are style challenged! thank you to all the creative ladies!!!

Back