Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

@g.lo I had problems with ssk's when I did mini twist. Now, that I do them bigger and I dont have a problem. I also blow dry my hair straigh when I twist. It makes it easier for me.

Last edited:
I am in the process of taking down my twists. I will NEVER twist my hair again. The style was cute and I loved showing off the length but I have sooooo many knots. It's crazy! Single strand, double strand, multiple strands...just a bunch of knots and I'm not Kimmaytube and refuse to pick them out with a safety pin. I will not allow a style to hinder my progress so I will be back in a bun starting toady. No more twists for me!

Hi Ladies,

just curious to find out if any of you ladies who do double strands twist have experienced any ssk at all? I have noticed that i have more since i started my twist reggie:perplexed!

g.lo Do you seal your ends with a heavy oil or butter? That helped me.

I am in the process of taking down my twists. I will NEVER twist my hair again. The style was cute and I loved showing off the length but I have sooooo many knots. It's crazy! Single strand, double strand, multiple strands...just a bunch of knots and I'm not Kimmaytube and refuse to pick them out with a safety pin. I will not allow a style to hinder my progress so I will be back in a bun starting toady. No more twists for me!

:sad::sad::sad::sad:

I'm sorry this happened to you.

Fhrizzball. I co-wash 2-3x/wk. I'm cowashing in cornrows which I think protects my hair while I'm manipulating it. How are you wearing your hair? Are you washing in braids?

virtuenow. After looking at BraunSugar's Flaxseed WnG, I'm thinking flaxseed gel might do it. What do you think BraunSugar? Thank you for letting me copy this.:)

LaFemmeNaturelle Aw man:sad:. I guess the positive is that your regi is on point and your recognized it early.

Hey NappyNelle. How's the job?

Hi Ladies! I will be joining. This will be my first challenge in a few years. :spinning: I'm getting a touch-up tomorrow so I'll take a picture then :grin:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Bunning
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Co-wash 2-3 times per week
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Relaxed
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Thicker, fuller ends
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

Last edited:
Earlier this week, I went to CVS and got some headbands and clips since they were BOGO free. I ordered some toys yesterday from Amazon. 4 toys for a total of $8.15, which included shipping!

$2.26

41SkeTAavEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

$1.65

41cXdYMHcdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

$1.25

51BLIARPQoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

$2.99. This was actually 1 cent and I paid $2.98 shipping. :lachen:

41rCQV66nFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

@Fhrizzball. I co-wash 2-3x/wk. I'm cowashing in cornrows which I think protects my hair while I'm manipulating it. How are you wearing your hair? Are you washing in braids?

I usually wear braidout/twistout buns and I wash my hair in twisted sections. I end up having to detangle regardless but I may just switch to solely finger detangling as opposed to also using a comb and see if that helps.

BGT said:
Earlier this week, I went to CVS and got some headbands and clips since they were BOGO free. I ordered some toys yesterday from Amazon. 4 toys for a total of $8.15, which included shipping!

$2.26

$1.65

$1.25

$2.99. This was actually 1 cent and I paid $2.98 shipping. :lachen:

How long is your hair? Mine is SL and I always feel like the cute bun accessories never work for my length.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

How long is your hair? Mine is SL and I always feel like the cute bun accessories never work for my length.

I'm about APL-BSL. Haven't measured or taken pictures in years. :lol: This diagram looks simple.

New-50-PCS-LOT-Magic-Hair-Bun-Roller-Donut-Maker-Foam-Sponge-Twist-Hair-Styling-Tool.jpg

Last edited:
BGT said:
I'm about APL-BSL. Haven't measured or taken pictures in years. :lol: This diagram looks simple.

I think I have something like this at home, but haven't even thought about trying it in almost a year. I'll try it today; maybe my bun won't look anorexic. Lol

I think I have something like this at home, but haven't even thought about trying it in almost a year. I'll try it today; maybe my bun won't look anorexic. Lol

I had a plastic one that was difficult to use. So hopefully these foam ones will work better. :yep: BTW, I just realized that this

41SkeTAavEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and this

41cXdYMHcdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Are the same thing. :lol:

looks great, Victoria44 My shoulders would hate me!! I wish I could manage to do them that small.

Ladies, my twists are starting to touch my shoulders... I am worried about the friction. But I don't feel cute when I pin them up. Maybe I am not doing it right? Or stylishly, ugh. I suck at getting creative with twists.

Anyone doing anything exciting (hair related) this weekend?? I might be getting my wen package today or tomorrow. I am so excited. I really hope it helps increase my moisture. Anyone else trying out new products? I love hearing reviews.

Finally done, took like 20-22 hrs!

photo32-1.jpg

photo13-1.jpg

photo23-1.jpg

eta, excuse my pink face lol its my camera's front view :perplexed

Last edited:
Victoria44 said:
Finally done, took like 20-22 hrs!

eta, excuse my pink face lol its my camera's front view :perplexed

Love it! Victoria44, Your hair is beautiful! How long have you been natural? Do you mind sharing your regimen?

isawstars gvin89 SimJam thanks so much ladies!

gvin89 My last relaxer was nov.2009, but I transitioned for 14 months, so I've been natural since Jan. 2011. I have 2 yrs 10 months worth of natural hair on my head.

My regimen is really really simple

On wash day, I detangle my hair with a cheap rinse out condish and put it in 8-10 braids ( i leave a little room at the top so i can get to my scalp). This is the only time i comb my hair throughout the whole two weeks

I use a regular sulfate shampoo, diluted with lots of water in an applicator bottle, and put it directly on my scalp, and wash twice.

Then I do a castor oil rinse, unbraiding each braid, applying a nickel size amnt of castor oil, and braiding them back up. I don't let it sit, I rinse as soon as i finish applying.

After rinsing I apply my deep conditioner, usually aubrey organics gpb or hsr, but deep conditioning has never made my hair feel amazing, i just do it because i feel like i should lol

Then i rinse, and apply my leave in, and seal with an oil on top. When my hair is like 95% dry the next day, I rebraid the braids to give more stretch.

The key to my retention from when i started was protective styling like crazy, and being super gentle. My moisture retention has only just begun from starting the castor oil rinses. Before then, no matter what, I had dry hair. But yea, I just keep manipulation to a minimum and monitor my ends on a regular basis

Oh, I'm not loyal to most of the products I use. I'll list them, and put 1 star next to the ones i like, and 2 stars next to the ones I love!

Detangling - herbal essence hello hydration
Shampooing - herbal essence totally twisted* ( I only like the smell)
Castor oil**-any brand on amazon
Deep conditioning- AO GPB / AO HSR
Leave in- kinky kurly knot today**
Moisturizers - Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie* qhemet biologics burdock root**

Last edited:
Victoria44 oooh so beautiful! Those look like the small ones I did last time! So worth it in the end though.

so this has been a long week but last night I used my applicator bottle of castile soap and water to clean my scalp and then co washed with tresemme naturals. Hope to push these twists to November then redo them. Good job ladies, I've been lurking and thanking lol

Starting the process of taking these stupid braids out. So annoyed and frustrated with my hair right now.

MeowMix Yes the flaxseed gel would be great to use and not have to rewet the twists. It doesn't take forever to dry like other gels do either.

I finally got all of my mini braids out last night!!! Styled my hair in a WnG today. I'll keep it another 2 days then convert to my next style.

Victoria44 That's it, I'm doing some super mini twists for my next style! Those are beautiful!!! I know they'll be easier to take down than the mini braids too.

Back