Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

@IMFOCSD Your hair looks great!
@judy4all Sending well wishes your way for a healthy rest of your pregnancy and baby boy! And yes, I think you should chill on stylists for now.

@Nonie does your hair feel dryer when you use no products?

Froreal3, I stopped using products in 2001 so it feels normal to me. It may feel dry to others who are used to stuff on their hair, but I consider dry hair hair that is hard, but my hair is so soft so to me its got plenty of internal moisture. Products feel icky and yucky to me :lol:, while my bare hair feels clean and doesn't transfer grease to everything I lean on plus it just smells like conditioner. I only use product if wearing my hair out because I need slip to comb it but I appreciate shrinkage then because I can't stand to have product-laden hair touching my skin. When I do use product, my hair does feel smoother and cool so it feels good to touch and of course is easy to comb but other than that, I am happier when my hair has nothing on it. It does make my regimen a breeze too not to have to worry about applying stuff. My scalp also appreciates the experience of not having stuff getting on it. It's like since I stopped using products, baggying just encourages sebum production so that my hair and scalp never feel dry.

Leslie_C Hey girl. I think the ACV rinse was a good alternative to shampooing my twists...didn't disturb things as much and cause frizz. I'll probably do it again in a couple days.

NappyNelle I hope you feel better, love! How do you stretch your hair for such a bodacious bun? And don't tell me its full of air and deceiving lol It's VOLUPTUOUS!

Hi @Leslie_C Thank u & I am actually texlaxed and the last 2-3 inches are bone straight which i so dont like lol. I will be trimming for a while which means i will be apl for a while :look:
@IMFOCSD Wow your hair is amazingly thick! It looks natural and I just thought it was sleek bc it had been blow dried and oiled or something. Nice hair lady!

@NappyNelle do you have any pics of when you big chopped at 15 months? One of my tentative BC dates is my birthday May 5 and it would make me exacty 15 months. Id like to have an idea of how much hair I MIGHT have at that point lol.

@Growingmyhairlong your hairstyle is really cute! I uses to wear my bun to bed, but then I started thinking maybe that was a culprit in some of my breakage in the back/middle part of my hair (demarcation line) so now Ive been taking down and putting in 4 braids or bantu knots after moisturizing and sealing. I think I was encouraging tangling and matting back there by not taming it or stretching it at all.

Currently working on my Etsy store and still DCing my braids from last night. I'm actually looking forward to rebraiding my hair. Weird huh?

@NikkiQ what kind of shop do you have on Etsy? Link please! :) I enjoy doing my hair too!

@MeowMix thanks for the insight and videos and thanks for the compliment on my sweet pea! Thats my heart! I hope by the time I chop I can do at least 10 different styles fairly well. Im not counting on being able to cornrow or being able to flat twist in different directions though!

Ok, I have a question.. I've just had a bandu knot out and without combing the fallen curls how do you go from a braid out, twist out, Bknot out, to co-washing without combing first to prevent tangles when the water hits your hair?

Because I'm not sure how to do this it reduced the frequency that I wash (twice weekly) because I don't want to comb my hair more often than that. And would actually prefer not to comb if possible.

@Monaleezzza I always prepoo before washing and I tend to lightly finger detangle then. I wash with CON Argan Oil shampoo and it has a lot of slip. If cowashing Trader Joes Nourish Spa or Suave Coconut give me good slip. Pretty bun BTW.

Top Knot Bun

I have a fever.

@NappyNelle feel better soon hun!

BraunSugar glad you and baby boy are safe! Its scary when something like that happens and you think of how bad it could have been.

Last edited:
CafedeBelleza said:
My primary style is burning, I have a mesh donut from Sally's I wear and another hair toy

I take down the bun at night m&s and pin or plait it til the morning. I use NTM leave in, organix coconut moisturizer and oil, argan oil, and Shea butter moisturizer

My hair is relaxed
I hope to maintain thickness, and hopefully be able to have a thick even hemline.
I plan to wear my hair out this weekend for my college homecoming, but I'm pretty sure ill get lazy-if I wear it out ill roll it on green rollers, and have it out like a loose spiral set
Here is my starting pic, not the best because I just took out my donut

found a better pic

Sept pic

Ladies, how do those of you who use a foundation for your bun keep it up multiple days?

Hi, I use a foundation...the funny thing is when I started with this challenge...2 challenges ago, I could barely cover it and now it's hard to get my all my hair tucked in. But it's still good for shape.

Generally I don't sleep in it and I change my bun almost every day. I have morning and night things to do to my scalp...MN in the am and EO blend at night. However, I did my bun tonight, low and to the side which is super comfortable for sleeping. I tried a extra large satin scarf over it all, so I will be interested in seeing how long I can keep this in. So I will let you know! Btw I sealed my ends (heavy) really good on Sunday.

Before (April 2012)

image-1658678799.jpg

After (today)

image-1291647497.jpg

Last edited:
[USER=60381]Fhrizzball[/USER] said:
jprayze

What hair color do you use by the way? Really nice especially for Fall.

Thank you! Believe it or not, i have not used any hair color for over a year and had multiple trims since then so it's all gone. Earlier this year up until May, I was using Sun-In. The spray on stuff that makes your hair get lighter in the sun...it's peroxide and conditioners. But in an effort to make healthier hair choices, I gave it up. After repeated use, my hair was like the pic below...actually I'm a natural 2 (my mom says 1b if I put some oil on it <lol>).

image-2340662810.jpg

Since June, I've only been using honey as a lightening agent...the fact that it is humectant sure doesn't hurt. It's part of my prepoo...honey, avocado oil, and ORS Replenishing. I keep it on at least 1 hour. With things like this you don't know exactly what color it will turn out. A couple weeks ago, I did after wash treatment for lightening plus I could eat all the Ingredients if I wanted-- honey, cinnamon, and lemon juice. And my final rinse was chamomile tea infused with rosemary. (Chamomile also has lightening effects.) so my current hair color is the result of that latest treatment...it seemed to really warm up my color.

Sorry I never give a short answer!!!

So today I took out my braids and my hair was not working for me this morning. No matter how many buns I tried it felt and look horrible. So I drenched it with water and put Cantu Shea butter in it and did s wet bun. I think tonight I will cowash and wet bun again tomorrow.

I have a couple of questions since there are so many naturals in this thread...

How long have you guys been natural and did you transition or BC? If you transitioned, how long did you transition?

and also: What are some tricks of the trade for keeping hair moisturized and retaining length in the cooler months (besides protective styling of course, which we are already doing lol)?

ok one more....When baggying, do I M&S and then baggy? Spritz with water and then baggy? or what? Baggying virgin in the HIZOUSE! ;0)

@Leslie_C - I've been natural for a little over a year. Would be 2 if I didn't relax before :ohwell:. I transitioned for about 5-6 months then chopped. I really had no choice, the last domincan blow-out threw my relaxed hair into a fit!

I was in kinky twists and braids for the longest, and just started wearing my hair. I too am style challenged, and I had no clue how to style a couple inches of hair, and just working with these new inches I got :grin: .

So far what's been working for me is to GHE(a slight difference from baggy method, but not much of a difference) - since I am trying to keep my mini-twists in for 3-4 weeks (I can't wash cause they just unravel) I usally moisturize with whatever is on the dresser, focus on ends and oil mostly with EVCO (its light and penetrates, and keeps my hair feeling oh so good!). I put my twists, into a style - usually 2 flat twists and wear this for the week. When I am home a scarf usually goes on immediately. At night I put on a du-rag, then plastic cap, another scarf/hair net, then hat (the 2nd scarf is to prevent the hat from slipping off). My hair is soft and moist in the am. I take the 2 flat twists down on Fridays, moisturize and seal, then back in on Sunday night. I'm hair lazy.

You don't have to wear the a hat for GHE, but it helps generate more moisture, plus for some reason I like sleeping in a hat :look:. When I leave the house, 95% of the time I have on a scarf and some hat.

Last edited:
I've been using AOHSR as my leave in and sealing with GSO. Yeah. My hair is damn near flawless. :look: Gonna use it for a few weeks and see if I keep getting great results.

Thanks[everyone! I'm trying to feel better now, and actually eat before I leave the house.

MENTION=292856]BraunSugar[/USER] omg! I'm so glad you're ok.

-PYT :lol: I let my hair dry in six braids to make this bun. I took the picture after it got frizzy and smaller in the rain.

Leslie_C Yes, I have photos. :spinning: lol

P1010213-vi.jpg

There are more silly pictures in my fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nelle11236/bbbh/newly-nappy/2006/nappy-nelle!/

Start by Sharing:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? 2 strand twists and buns
2. What is your style maintenance regimen?cowash, weekly dc with oil rinse
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?natural, but have a few relaxed strands on top from wearing weaves
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? growth and thickness
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?will not be wearing my hair out will restyle immediately
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

We look forward to cooperative learning. Post your questions, frustrations, and trials. Share any tips that you may have to make this challenge more effective for all of us! We look forward to hearing your tips, suggestions, and questions.

redid my twists with some aloe vera gel..they were looking kinda messy with hairs sticking out of them smh. The scurl gel is cool but it provides no hold.

I have a confession to make... last week I wore a bantu-knot-out/twist-out style everyday... :look:

But yesterday, I washed my hair and it's now in a bun with a flat twist in the front. :)

I checked out your site and I will definitely be back. Very pretty! Do you make hair jewelry as well?

Not yet,but I have a few ideas I'll be cranking out soon. I thought about all the hair candy the LHCF ladies like so you know I gotta do it lol

Sent from my Android...Boom.

MeowMix thanx hun! :o

Leslie_C Sorry I didn't get back to answer you yesterday...my internet wasn't working. As you can see I decided to go with a combination of both suggestions.....Blow out updo plus rod set.

Back