Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Leslie_C

My hair usually ends up dry and the ends tangled. And then when I take it down to fix up the bun, the middle is a mess of varying degrees of shrinkage and tangles.

But I guess I'll just up my M&S so the manipulation I do won't be too bad.

Alright lemme stop being lazy, here's a pick of my latest install of my flat twists (I know my parts are crooked as hell, but I'm new at this):

IMAG0318.jpg

wow bajandoc86 I had no idea you were a doctor! the screenname makes a lot of sense now :look: you give me hope that I'll be able to keep my hair in shape while I go to school and have a social life too!

I need to know this too. The only time I sweat like a pig is when I do Jillian :rolleyes:. On Monday night, I pinned my twists straight back and tied on a hair net, and just rinsed with water in the shower. Felt really good! Let them dry, about 75% using a t-shirt and turbie twist, and then did a lil baby bun :look:.

Last night was another sweaty night, so just let the steam from the shower "freshen" them, and put them in 2 side twists after it dried.

I'm washing today and already thinking about how it's going to go down next week with the sweat :perplexed.

g.lo

I hear great things about the bondiband http://www.bondiband.com/categories/HEADBANDS/ but any wide moisture wicking band will do as well.

On top of that you can use put your hair in a ponytail and use an antifungal or antiseptic oil as a scalp cleanser. An astringent oil will help with the itches to top it off. When I used to workout 6 days/week I used to do that only have to cowash twice a week.

LOL MeowMix, that GIF made me burst out laughing! I felt like doing a lil praise stomp! How are you managing to retain in braids? I think my hair hates being in braids unless they're with added hair; I can never keep my hair sealed!

Thank you NappyNelle and everyone else for the support! :) When I started the last Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge, I was neck-length, so to end up being collar-bone length THIS time around is exciting for me! It means that even though I fiddle with my hair on occasion, and wear my twists down, I'm retaining more or less everything that springs from my scalp!

When I retwisted on Thursday, I used Lilly of the Valley Aloe Vera Gel and Naturalista Cosmetics Juicy Leave-In *that's it*. My twists are bouncy and shiny and PLUMP...you know the kind that you just KNOW will give you an amazing twist-out?! I'm resisting the urge to undo them though - wearing twists has become kind of fun lol.

I'm only using AVG and castor oil on my scalp. The AVG is refrigerated and whenever I have the itchies, I apply some - sooooo...goood :drool: I think between the AVG and the castor oil, the humectants are doing their job of attracting moisture to my hair. I'm not taking any hair pics until the end of this month - lest I get too complacent with my progress and stop doing what I'm doing.

bajandoc86 your hair looks fabulous as always. I swear, if you're on the road in Kingston and see another twisted sister drooling at it, it's probably me!

SimJam, I saw the starting pic you posted - your hair is SO THICK. You and NappyNelle have some positively delicious hair...

jprayze your bun looks cute! I used to do that when I was relaxed - make sure your ends are pinned down securely or else your bun may come un-done.

What is HighAspirations talm'bout ugly pics?! Girl - your hair looks nice and THICK! I likey.

g.lo one option for keeping your scalp clean could be using witch hazel and cotton swabs - yet another worth peeking at is using a dry shampoo like the purple one from ORS. I've used it in the past - keeps my scalp clean and smelling fresh!

Ok, Im caught up lol....I prepood overnight with EVCO...getting ready to wash and DC...or DC and wash so I dont have to jump in and out of the shower lol. I may put some twists in.

@g.lo I USED to be very active and it was before I was transitioning so Ill have to get back to you, but since Im trying to get back to a workout routine, my plan is to cowash in the evening and wear a turbie twist for a little bit, then style on slightly damp hair overnight (braid or twist then do a style in the am with the resulting texture). PS Welcome to the challenge!

@NikkiQ I get the best buns from making a puff and pinning the hair around the base in various ways. The wide base gives a big fat bun! Im going to find some YT videos for reference.

@Victoria44 goos luck on your GRE! Im a lover of headbands and hair accessories...I collect scarves and use them as headbands a lot...if you dont want the tails hanging you can tuck them. Also mizoutlet.com has cute headbands and they are only $1!

@nickmack congrats on your milestone! Wootwoot!!

@BraunSugar any tips on cowashing twists and keeping them looking neat? I have a pocket kind of scarf but it looks much thinner than the one you posted...gonna look for tha one.

@rssmith welcome!

@LilMissRed cute pic! I like it too!

@HighAspirations Of course you are welcome! Your hair is cute!

@Tibbar I thought the chopsticks style was cute! Kids....smh.

[
@bajandoc86 I love the simple roll, tuck, and pin updo...looks like something even I could do lol...I cant do all those fancy twists in all directions,etc. Tutorial please when you can!

@Prettycoach which hairone do you use? I love traderjoes for detangling...it probably has the most slip of any conditioner Ive tried and no cones to boot!

@jprayze that was a cute bun, sorry it was gone with the wind! Second bun was a winner too! :)

@rsmith I take Andrew Lessman Hair skin and nails and a multi. My diet sucks so it has to help lol.

@SimJam you totally nailed that style! love it!

@Seamonster yay! congrats on the milestone!

@SoopremeBeing Id love to see the finished result of your twists!

@PYT I would totally sleep 24 hours if I could lol...expecially after a long stretch of several long and busy shifts in a row. Dont forget to come back with pics!

@LaFemmeNaturelle your twists look good, before and after...the second set does look smoother, but the first set looked just fine to me! You are naturally very pretty by the way!

@NikkiQ Im trying to imagine how you have your hair braided with rubber bands and I cant...do you have a pic to share?

@IMFOCSD your twists are lush! love em! Your hair must be really thick!

@tapioca_pudding Nix08 & @lamaria211 the bun is my go to style always! Simple and quick and can be dressed up with accessories.

@Golden75 cute mini twists! What is your maintenance schedule like?

@FroReal isnt it funny when you get complimented on a style that was done on the fly?

@NappyNelle dont EVER stop posting pics...they give me life! LOL. Where do you find those banana clips? They are my favorite kind but I cant find them anymore...used to get them at a bss when I lived in FL...now I dont have any! :(

@isawstars glad you decided to join us! :)

@MsDee14 Where are you Missy??? Come and check in :)

Thanks all for advices, Hubby going away next week for 6 months and won't be able to check in often until he leaves!
the hair on this challenges, oh my my, i am drooling...... I am style challenged and hope will get lots inspiration here!! thanks girls

Thanks all for advices, Hubby going away next week for 6 months and won't be able to check in often until he leaves!
the hair on this challenges, oh my my, i am drooling...... I am style challenged and hope will get lots inspiration here!! thanks girls

I am style challenged too and impatient. Bad combination--my styles have to take 10 minutes or less!:lol:

For those who bun, what do you do with your hair at night? I've been taking mine out and twisting it up but I'm wondering if that may be too much manipulation styling it twice a day.

I also take down my bun everyday, M&S and then braid up for bed.

MeowMix - I've actually been struggling to find a regimen for my skin. About two years ago I started breaking out really bad...worse than when I was fourteen lol. At the time I thought it was stress a bad break up but two years later I'm still struggling. I keep reading great things about african black soap and witch hazel but I'm not really sure where to find either of these.

SoopremeBeing I think your flat twists look great! I'm determined to learn how do them. It looks so easy when I watch a video on youtube but when I try to do it myself...not so much.

@MeowMix - I've actually been struggling to find a regimen for my skin. About two years ago I started breaking out really bad...worse than when I was fourteen lol. At the time I thought it was stress a bad break up but two years later I'm still struggling. I keep reading great things about african black soap and witch hazel but I'm not really sure where to find either of these.

thehappyserver - I just went thru this. I was always acne prone, but the last year and especially last few months my face was horrible. So bad I didn't want to leave my house and one day I was in tears! OTC's, black soap, witch hazel things seemed to help, but not long or not at all. So I sucked it up and went back to the derm. My face is doing much better. If you don't find relief soon, and if your able to, you may want to see a derm. Good luck!

OMG I just put some semi-mini twists in...whew that took forever lol. I started last night, and worked on them on and off all day today, in between cleaning and jamming to Pandora. I forgot about pandora for a while, but it really boosted my mood listening to some tunes today :) No pics yet bc I have stringy relaxed ends...not cute lol...Im gonna curl them tonight and Ill put a pic up tomorrow. I hope I can make these last until the end of next week...and if Im really lucky I can cowash them a couple of times and redo the perimeter and make them last through my work trip the 22-26. Depends on how they hold up.

MeowMix I dont really have a skincare regimen but Im looking to start one..I always had pretty nice skin other than my hereditary dark circles, but I got this bad habit several months ago of popping the random monthly pimple I get during my TOM and also spending time in the mirror looking for whiteheads and squeezing them. Sow I have dark spots that I never had before. Im about to start back doing the oil cleansing method and Im going to start putting lemon juice on the dark marks...maybe Ill find some kind of mask to make on youtube. When I used to do the oil cleansing method, my skin had a really nice glow and I got a lot of compliments and that is the only thing I had done differently.

I want to eventually get a hair steamer with the attachment for a facial steamer. Id also really like a clarisonic. Im a gadget junky lol.

Hi everybody. Ooo I got OT with the skin care. 'Bad Meow'. :spank:

Thanks thehappyserver, bajandoc86, BraunSugar and Leslie_C for the tips. Since I'm such a slow grower, might as well work on my skin. Just co-washed and am still in those cornrows. The plan is to switch it up a little bit tomorrow. :crossfingers: pics coming soon.

SoopremeBeing. You did a great job with your parts. Check it out I actually found a parting video yesterday here...who knew. You can also twist going up. I still have problems with that. Hi Froreal3. I thought you'd like this too. We both have those 'organic' parts. Although....I didn't see yours. Are you sure?:scratchch

Hey RegaLady. Did you flat iron? Longhairdontcare2011 seems to only flat iron in the colder months.

MeowMix Uh, I didn't get to post the back...That's where the organic-ness usually occurs. :lol:

ETA: That hairstyle is really cute. I think I'll do it with kanekelon once this challenge is over. I part my cornrows and flattwists from the back as well (to see the thickness)...but the back of my head...that's another story. Let's just say I need to invest in a smaller mirror and a Command hook in my bathroom.

Last edited:
I started my new job today!! I wore a banana clip bun/tuck that I took out on my way home. I had a headache, probably from dehydration and eating junk food for the first time in weeks. :spinning:

MeowMix Have you searched through the Makeup & Skincare forum for skin regimens? Those ladies have recommendations for everything; from low to high end, natural to surgical, drugstore to department store... they have me feeling like a pretty girl! :lol:

I started my new job today!! I wore a banana clip bun/tuck that I took out on my way home. I had a headache, probably from dehydration and eating junk food for the first time in weeks. :spinning:

MeowMix Have you searched through the Makeup & Skincare forum for skin regimens? Those ladies have recommendations for everything; from low to high end, natural to surgical, drugstore to department store... they have me feeling like a pretty girl! :lol:

:yahoo::yahoo:. I know your happy. Hope you feel better. Starting a new job can be stressful.

I had to chuckle. That's because you are one. What's this? There is another one above you. Somebody is looking like a smart supermodel with the glasses. Her name ends with 86:lol: Thanks NappyNelle. I'm going to mosey on over to skin care and see what they can do. :walking:

My first twist & curl....more pics in everyday thread.

photo-143.jpg

bajandoc86 that is TOO.CUTE! I absolutely love it! :yep:
I bet you have folks at the hospital mesmerized strutting around looking like a movie star and all :grin: Talk about the total package (Brains AND Beauty)!! Makes me feel proud and I dont even know you lol.

I am being kinda lazy so this will be my daily style until its time to redo this head I'd mine lol...Sunday is my deadline

IMG_20121011_002734-1.jpg

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Leslie_C said:
Fhrizzball Have you tried putting your hair in a puff and fanning your hair around the base and pinning (like a mushroom), or wrapping in a clockwise or counter clockwise circle and pinning? This gives the illusion of a full bun even on short to medium length hair.u

LaFemmeNaturelle welcome and nice twists!

jesusislove1526 Welcome to the board and welcome to the challenge! Your hair looks really long stretched so you must have been doing something right! Id be bald by now if I never found LHCF years ago *shudder* lol. I used to relax root to tip, blow dry and curl my hair with a curling iron daily when I was a teen! It was horrible.

IMFOCSD Welcome! Your hair looks so lush! How do you get it so smooth and shiny for your twists?

Nonie can you point me to some threads on ends...would love to have some of your edumucation dropped on me lol.

Nix08 thanks so much for your detailed post on teas....I think I need training wheels lol. Ill start simple just to test it out...but I need moisture so I need to pick one of those. This is a dumb question, but when you say powders do you mean you just pour the powder in the water?

PYT I dont think the bag has makeup, just a few skincare/haircare type samples. I like getting stuff in the mail, ok??? LOL.

MaraWithLove thanks for the tip...I just put some peppermint essential oil in my vitacost cart....sounds so soothing and refreshing.

virtuenow I used shea butter as I twisted after I applied my leave in and air dried 80%...I used a little shea on each section as I twisted. My hair was very moist for days! Every day Id lightly mist with water and pat(not rub lol) a little coconut oil and my hair still felt very soft even after a week.

Leslie_C Thank u :) use scurl gel and an oil of some kind.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Leslie_C said:
Ok, Im caught up lol....I prepood overnight with EVCO...getting ready to wash and DC...or DC and wash so I dont have to jump in and out of the shower lol. I may put some twists in.

@g.lo I USED to be very active and it was before I was transitioning so Ill have to get back to you, but since Im trying to get back to a workout routine, my plan is to cowash in the evening and wear a turbie twist for a little bit, then style on slightly damp hair overnight (braid or twist then do a style in the am with the resulting texture). PS Welcome to the challenge!

@NikkiQ I get the best buns from making a puff and pinning the hair around the base in various ways. The wide base gives a big fat bun! Im going to find some YT videos for reference.

@Victoria44 goos luck on your GRE! Im a lover of headbands and hair accessories...I collect scarves and use them as headbands a lot...if you dont want the tails hanging you can tuck them. Also mizoutlet.com has cute headbands and they are only $1!

@nickmack congrats on your milestone! Wootwoot!!

@BraunSugar any tips on cowashing twists and keeping them looking neat? I have a pocket kind of scarf but it looks much thinner than the one you posted...gonna look for tha one.

@rssmith welcome!

@LilMissRed cute pic! I like it too!

@HighAspirations Of course you are welcome! Your hair is cute!

@Tibbar I thought the chopsticks style was cute! Kids....smh.

[
@bajandoc86 I love the simple roll, tuck, and pin updo...looks like something even I could do lol...I cant do all those fancy twists in all directions,etc. Tutorial please when you can!

@Prettycoach which hairone do you use? I love traderjoes for detangling...it probably has the most slip of any conditioner Ive tried and no cones to boot!

@jprayze that was a cute bun, sorry it was gone with the wind! Second bun was a winner too! :)

@rsmith I take Andrew Lessman Hair skin and nails and a multi. My diet sucks so it has to help lol.

@SimJam you totally nailed that style! love it!

@Seamonster yay! congrats on the milestone!

@SoopremeBeing Id love to see the finished result of your twists!

@PYT I would totally sleep 24 hours if I could lol...expecially after a long stretch of several long and busy shifts in a row. Dont forget to come back with pics!

@LaFemmeNaturelle your twists look good, before and after...the second set does look smoother, but the first set looked just fine to me! You are naturally very pretty by the way!

@NikkiQ Im trying to imagine how you have your hair braided with rubber bands and I cant...do you have a pic to share?

@IMFOCSD your twists are lush! love em! Your hair must be really thick!

@tapioca_pudding Nix08 & @lamaria211 the bun is my go to style always! Simple and quick and can be dressed up with accessories.

@Golden75 cute mini twists! What is your maintenance schedule like?

@FroReal isnt it funny when you get complimented on a style that was done on the fly?

@NappyNelle dont EVER stop posting pics...they give me life! LOL. Where do you find those banana clips? They are my favorite kind but I cant find them anymore...used to get them at a bss when I lived in FL...now I dont have any! :(

@isawstars glad you decided to join us! :)

@MsDee14 Where are you Missy??? Come and check in :)

I use hair one for curly hair. It seems ok. It's the first time I am just cowashing and not shampooing. I love trader joes. It's the best detangling conditioner I have ever used. It has perfect slip and makes detangling a little better for me.

I was supposed to wash my hair tonight but I am tired :(. I will do it tomorrow and do a PT & DC (I bought more coconut milk!). I'm keeping these braids in for another week & a half. I may even push myself to 2 weeks for an entire month.

Massaged my scalp w/hemp oil & applied the excess from my hands thru my twists

I read hemp oil is good for the scalp... Anyone use this /have reviews?

ETA: Oh I see theres an oils, promades,grease,butters challenge... There are a few mentions of Hemp oil so.. I'll go stalk that thread :yep:

Last edited:
Massaged my scalp w/hemp oil & applied the excess from my hands thru my twists

I read hemp oil is good for the scalp... Anyone use this /have reviews?

ETA: Oh I see theres an oils, promades,grease,butters challenge... There are a few mentions of Hemp oil so.. I'll go stalk that thread :yep:

Hemp oil is great! It's so light and soothing, plus it makes your hair really bling. I use it with castor oil for my sulfur mix.

Hi everybody. Ooo I got OT with the skin care. 'Bad Meow'. :spank:

Thanks @thehappyserver, @bajandoc86, @BraunSugar and @Leslie_C for the tips. Since I'm such a slow grower, might as well work on my skin. Just co-washed and am still in those cornrows. The plan is to switch it up a little bit tomorrow. :crossfingers: pics coming soon.

@SoopremeBeing. You did a great job with your parts. Check it out I actually found a parting video yesterday here...who knew. You can also twist going up. I still have problems with that. Hi @Froreal3. I thought you'd like this too. We both have those 'organic' parts. Although....I didn't see yours. Are you sure?:scratchch

Hey @RegaLady. Did you flat iron? Longhairdontcare2011 seems to only flat iron in the colder months.

Hey MeowMix

Yes I did but only wore it striaght for only about a week and now I am back to bunning. I too will only flat iron during the fall season,once winter starts I will be bunning with baggying.

Hi everybody,

I got inspired by the parting video. After a while I was like 'Meow, just :stop:'. I plan to keep this in for 1 1/2 weeks. I'm starting to wonder if I'm jacking up my ends by styling so often.

I hope we are moisturizing, the weather is getting :cold:

twistweek2_zps75cfd209.jpg

twistfweek2_zpsdf8dbb49.jpg

MeowMix said:
Hi everybody,

I got inspired by the parting video. After a while I was like 'Meow, just :stop:'. I plan to keep this in for 1 1/2 weeks. I'm starting to wonder if I'm jacking up my ends by styling so often.

I hope we are moisturizing, the weather is getting :cold:

Looking good!!!

Back