Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

I finally made up mind and decided to join! I shampooed yesterday and did large twists with no intention of keeping them in. But today I redid my twists and made them smaller... I am gonna keep them for 2 weeks at a time if they hold up well.

I won't be as active due to grad school but I will definitely check in on my wash days.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?

small to medium twists

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?

redo twists on shampoo day, rinse or co wash as needed.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?

natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?

retention

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

View fotki. Photo is dated sept 25th in the Natural album

Hey beautiful ladies! Ive missed you guys the past few days! Ive been working several 12+ hour shifts in a row and was worn.the.heck.out! LOL...Im off for a few days though (on call tomorrow though). I have a lot of catching up to do! Will be back when I catch up on what Ive missed! :grin:

Ran out to the store and wore the braids up in a pony with a wide headband. It's amazing how many side eyes I got. The PRicans aren't too used to braids (and tattoos on women) on this side of the island so I stuck out like a sore thumb :lol:

Came home and took them down. Still hanging in there...barely

Sent from my Android...Boom.

:look: *peeps* :look:
I'm deviating from my plan, ever-so slightly but it's for a good reason!! I washed my hair in twists yesterday and today my twists felt a little enmeshed! So I undid them, co-washed with some AO HSR and threw in some Carol's Daughter Tui Hair Smoothie for good measure... I hit another milestone y'all. I can do a low puff! :yay: So, with that said, my hair and I are asking for permission to enjoy the next two days out before going back into twists! :drunk:

Side-note: I believe I can get a low pony-tail/middle pony-tail with a little bun, BUT that would involve combing my hair, and I'm finger-combing until the end of the month (fingers crossed) Maybe then, when I take my update pictures and post them will I attempt a mini-bun!

Hope everyone's having a great day so far!

Ok, Im caught up lol....I prepood overnight with EVCO...getting ready to wash and DC...or DC and wash so I dont have to jump in and out of the shower lol. I may put some twists in.

@g.lo I USED to be very active and it was before I was transitioning so Ill have to get back to you, but since Im trying to get back to a workout routine, my plan is to cowash in the evening and wear a turbie twist for a little bit, then style on slightly damp hair overnight (braid or twist then do a style in the am with the resulting texture). PS Welcome to the challenge!

@NikkiQ I get the best buns from making a puff and pinning the hair around the base in various ways. The wide base gives a big fat bun! Im going to find some YT videos for reference.

@Victoria44 goos luck on your GRE! Im a lover of headbands and hair accessories...I collect scarves and use them as headbands a lot...if you dont want the tails hanging you can tuck them. Also mizoutlet.com has cute headbands and they are only $1!

@nickmack congrats on your milestone! Wootwoot!!

@BraunSugar any tips on cowashing twists and keeping them looking neat? I have a pocket kind of scarf but it looks much thinner than the one you posted...gonna look for tha one.

@rssmith welcome!

@LilMissRed cute pic! I like it too!

@HighAspirations Of course you are welcome! Your hair is cute!

@Tibbar I thought the chopsticks style was cute! Kids....smh.

[
@bajandoc86 I love the simple roll, tuck, and pin updo...looks like something even I could do lol...I cant do all those fancy twists in all directions,etc. Tutorial please when you can!

@Prettycoach which hairone do you use? I love traderjoes for detangling...it probably has the most slip of any conditioner Ive tried and no cones to boot!

@jprayze that was a cute bun, sorry it was gone with the wind! Second bun was a winner too! :)

@rsmith I take Andrew Lessman Hair skin and nails and a multi. My diet sucks so it has to help lol.

@SimJam you totally nailed that style! love it!

@Seamonster yay! congrats on the milestone!

@SoopremeBeing Id love to see the finished result of your twists!

@PYT I would totally sleep 24 hours if I could lol...expecially after a long stretch of several long and busy shifts in a row. Dont forget to come back with pics!

@LaFemmeNaturelle your twists look good, before and after...the second set does look smoother, but the first set looked just fine to me! You are naturally very pretty by the way!

@NikkiQ Im trying to imagine how you have your hair braided with rubber bands and I cant...do you have a pic to share?

@IMFOCSD your twists are lush! love em! Your hair must be really thick!

@tapioca_pudding Nix08 & @lamaria211 the bun is my go to style always! Simple and quick and can be dressed up with accessories.

@Golden75 cute mini twists! What is your maintenance schedule like?

@FroReal isnt it funny when you get complimented on a style that was done on the fly?

@NappyNelle dont EVER stop posting pics...they give me life! LOL. Where do you find those banana clips? They are my favorite kind but I cant find them anymore...used to get them at a bss when I lived in FL...now I dont have any! :(

@isawstars glad you decided to join us! :)

@MsDee14 Where are you Missy??? Come and check in :)

Checking in....I feel like my twists look a little less crazy than the ones I had in last week. :yep:

Attachments

• twists90912.jpg
    twists90912.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 31
@Leslie_C - Thanks. Well this is my second set, so still learning the maintenance part. My hair unravels pretty easily when wet, so I need to figure out how to wash but this will only be done 1-2x per month, if I can keep these in for 4 weeks. I washed my last set as a test, and I had a lot of tangling (easily removed, but it was a pain to deal with).

I'm trying to go a minimalist route - Every few days - oil hair with either EVCO or Sapote Oil (or any light nourishing oil), create 2 twists (1 on each side of my dome) leave it in that style for a few days. GHE every night.

Since my strands are fine and prone to splits/knots, I don't wear my twists loose (except for a few hours on the weekend). During the week I PS my PS.

Oh goodness..I have completely neglected this thread...thanks Leslie_C for the mention!
Okay..so I am basically installing twists for 2 weeks at a time.
This past weekend, I rocked a twist-n-curl(pic attached) then yesterday I put in some medium sized twists. I will keep these in for 2 weeks.
BTW- I added some Safflower Oil to my Shea-butter mix and it made my hair so soft!!

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 32
  • picstitch (1).jpg
    picstitch (1).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Leslie_C Thank you. :) I've been finding banana clips on Ebay; I haven't seen any of the thick ones, that are long enough in a store. :ohwell:

This seller has sets of three: K and Katie

Thanks for sharing the Miz Outlet site. I may need to get some fabric headbands while I baby my edges. $1 and $2 are my kind of prices. :lol:

Leslie_C Before washing, I would put the twist into larger twists or braids (maybe about 6 of them) and secure the ends with a stretchy elastic. After that, focus the shower stream on your scalp and gently massage it (if you want to add some conditioner while doing that then it's fine, but I try not to wash my scalp with conditioner. It makes my scalp itchy), then I would smooth conditioner down the length of the larger twists or braids to the ends. After that rinse very well, squeeze excess water out of each section, then cover hair with a t-shirt or microfiber turban and leave it on for at least 30 minutes. Take off the turban or t-shirt, remove the larger twists/braids, and put on your pocket bonnet.

I've found this method to be effective at keeping the twists from unraveling and tangling a lot. Sometimes I am lazy and just cowash the twists without doing the sections and I end up regretting it later.

For those who bun, what do you do with your hair at night? I've been taking mine out and twisting it up but I'm wondering if that may be too much manipulation styling it twice a day.

Leslie_C I love love love your siggy! Everytime someone asks me who does my hair I feel like a boss because I DO! :rofl:

So on to some pics. Finished my mini twists...Yesterday i twisted for a few hrs in the morning and then like slept the rest of the day/night :look: I earned this sleep dang it! :giggle: But I woke up and finished today because I had to face society :look:

8072028009_2f7aca61bd.jpg

8072024278_2e79362cf7.jpg

Love the second pic. They look like little ropes! These ishts will def be in for 4 wks after all the time i spent on em :hot: Lemme tell yall, washing was a breeze this time! Pre-poo w/vatika oil is a must from now on and DCing with Vanilla Silk as well! :love:

Keep up the good work girls! And keep posting more pics. :look:

Thinking bout trying a twist-and-curl a la MsDee14. I wore a puff for two days....will NEVER be doing that ish again. EVER. the tangles! :nono:

Leslie_C what kind of job do you have....I can relate to have LOONNNG shifts/days. I started work at 8 am yesterday, and made it back home at 12pm today :ohwell:

ETA: The wet puff....

photo-136.jpg

Last edited:
Hey now [USER=347699 said:
thehappyserver[/USER] those twists look shiny and juicy! What did you twist with?

Thanks!:blush: I used shea moisture curl and style milk as my leave in, and then I twisted with some flax seed gel, so I'm not really sure which one gave me the shine lol.

For those who bun, what do you do with your hair at night? I've been taking mine out and twisting it up but I'm wondering if that may be too much manipulation styling it twice a day.

Fhrizzball I take my bun down and braid it at night. I've probably been doing to many braids though... (8), so I can cut the manipulation down to four... Sometimes I grab sections of hair and loosely twirl it around and pin it to my scalp. That's easy to sleep on and not as much manipulation...

Twists + perm rods in....I hope this dries fully by tomorrow morning. I really shouldn't attempt untried styles at night, with work in the am. :ohwell: Anywhoos...

IMG-20121009-02045-1.jpg

Please ignore the greasy face.....and the product stash cupboard in the background :look:

Last edited:
@Fhrizzball I take my bun down and braid it at night. I've probably been doing to many braids though... (8), so I can cut the manipulation down to four... Sometimes I grab sections of hair and loosely twirl it around and pin it to my scalp. That's easy to sleep on and not as much manipulation...

I think I'll try your pincurling and see how that works out. I do twists but the base ends up loose since I try not to do a lot of them. The end result is that this allows my roots to shrink up and tangle at times.

Checking in....I feel like my twists look a little less crazy than the ones I had in last week. :yep:
thehappyserver....those look crazy alright...crazy hot! Not to mention juicy and shinnnnney!:yep:

@NappyNelle...your buns :drool:

Hey, that sounds funny :lachen:
:lachen:lol.... Im with nickmack we all love your buns @ NappyNelle
ps thanks for the banana clip links!

Oh goodness..I have completely neglected this thread...thanks @Leslie_C for the mention!
Okay..so I am basically installing twists for 2 weeks at a time.
This past weekend, I rocked a twist-n-curl(pic attached) then yesterday I put in some medium sized twists. I will keep these in for 2 weeks.
BTW- I added some Safflower Oil to my Shea-butter mix and it made my hair so soft!!

MsDee14 dont be neglecting us like that! Twists are looking good! Im airdrying in 6 braids right now and may start twisting tonight. On second thought, Id better not in case I get called in in the am...that wouldnt me a good look with it partially done in the morning lol.

Fhrizzball....hmmmmmm good question....my silly self sleeps in my bun...I guess I should be doing something else with it to cut down on tangles and dryness? What happens if you sleep in your bun?

@Leslie_C I love love love your siggy! Everytime someone asks me who does my hair I feel like a boss because I DO! :rofl:

So on to some pics. Finished my mini twists...Yesterday i twisted for a few hrs in the morning and then like slept the rest of the day/night :look: I earned this sleep dang it! :giggle: But I woke up and finished today because I had to face society :look:

8072028009_2f7aca61bd.jpg

PYT shooooot, you should feel like a BOSS bc those twists are on point!
Im not quite BOSS status yet, thats just my long term goal lol:lol:

@Leslie_C what kind of job do you have....I can relate to have LOONNNG shifts/days. I started work at 8 am yesterday, and made it back home at 12pm today :ohwell:

@Bajandoc you sound like you must be a Resident with that kind of schedule? Hope you got to sleep some during that time! Im a nurse and I work in Labor and Delivery. I love it...one of these days later on down the road I want to pursue Nurse Midwifery though. Ive always been interested in it, and had a midwife attended birth with my son that sealed the deal. Ive only been working OB for a year though and I feel like I need a lot more experience under my belt. Hospital nursing is totally different though bc of all the interventions that are done. Im pursuing lactation consulting right now too so that may possibly open some other doors.

:clapping::clapping: To you all. There is just so much GOODNESS in this thread.

NappyNelle and Leslie_C, I humbly say THANK YOU. Leslie_C, you're working 12-HOUR SHIFTs too? You're a mommy-nurse. In my head that equals NO-TIME. Your post are 'beeyootifool'. NappyNelle, I'm going to co-sign (again) with Tibbar, jprayze &Leslie_C. Tibbar you spoke for me...totally LOLed when I read your post. :curtain: Hey, my name is Meowmix and missed everbody:)

co-signing -PYT is on point. There was a time where I'd pay a couple of HUNDRED DOLLARS for that style.

I was laughing nickmack too. Them buns...:grin:

NikkiQ Wow, it sounds like your're the pioneer down there in PR. Are you thinking about bunning? You're 'exercise hair' is cute.

thehappyserver & bajandoc86 &BraunSugar. Of course the hair is on point. bajandoc86 got me with the puff. She said tangles...I'm not doing this again. LOL. Quick question do you all have skin regimens? (Oopps off topic:wink2:)

IRL has been a l'il pressed, this thread is an Oasis. Thanks again for the great conversation.

Leslie_C I am a junior resident in anaesthesia and icu @ a paediatric hospital. It is absolutely crazy sometimes. You definitely should pursue midwifery...birth is a beautiful experience to be a part of. At one point in time I was interested in obsetrics myself.

MeowMix LOL....chile that puff shrank to within an inch of my scalp. Detangling was a nightmare. Smh. So back to my usual stretched styles. I don't have a skin regimen to speak of. I have some at home chemical peels i want to try out tho...to add some glow to my skin.

^^^^:lachen::lachen:. I'm so glad you got through the detangling. You know I was REALLY hoping you would tell me there was a product I could buy to get skin like yours.

MeowMix yeah I'm really thinking about giving it a try when I take these braids out. I did peek into the hair threading thread and it has me SOOOOOoooo curious on how that would work on my hair lol

Sent from my Android...Boom.

Back