Super Growout Challenge ***Update Month 1***

I've been sticking with my regimen of washing 2x per week, with a deep condition at least once, airdrying overnight, and using Caruso rollers the next morning. Now that I'm 10 weeks post relaxer, I'll probably start using S-Curl, and wearing buns and twistouts until I relax at 12 weeks.

ms_kenesha said:
I'm doing GREAT! I am sticking to my regime for the most part. I've started using the Phytorelaxer on last Saturday! :clap: I have bought a new product to add to my arsenal, Kuz's version of the Alter Ego drops. I think that this month I am going to start going to the Dominican Salon more often, what's been stopping me has been the cold weather and wanting to stay in and cuddle. :)
Ms. K your hair looks awesome. Keep up the good work!

CantBeCopied said:
Hi Ladies! I'm brand new to the board....don't even have my profile or pics up yet. But, I'm very interested in the super growout challenge. I'd already started Jan 1 with my own version of it and I'd like to join in with the group. Can you direct me to the specifics of the challenge...what the tips and suggestions are? Up until now, I've been trying to do my own research. My hair is DRY. It's just below chin length and it never grows past the base of my neck. It can get thick, but not long so I am here to learn how to break that cycle and flip this script. First, below my shoulders, then bra-strap, then, one day, even waist length. So please tell me where I can get all the info on the Super Growout Challenge.

Thanks! :p :) :cool:

Welcome to the board and welcome to the Super Grow Out Challenge!! :wave:

We are glad to have you!!
You can find info on the SGO challenge in this thread!!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=45926

HTH

RachelL said:
I've been sticking with my regimen of washing 2x per week, with a deep condition at least once, airdrying overnight, and using Caruso rollers the next morning. Now that I'm 10 weeks post relaxer, I'll probably start using S-Curl, and wearing buns and twistouts until I relax at 12 weeks.

Sounds great!!

I've been a bad bad girl this month...I hope to make up for it in February!
I am back to protective styling now, and my vitamin regimen is on track. I don't plan to touch heat til April.

Dontspeakdefeat...............

You have got to be THE MOST CONSISTENT person I know...(aside from my parents). :clap: That is one of the most important virtues to me....you're awesome! :D

As far as the challenge, I've fallen off....I actually forgot about it. So, I need to decide on a regimen that I can stick with. My main problem is that I know rollersetting w/ the rollerpins (bobby pins) are breaking my hair along the parts. I can endure sleeping in rollers no problem, it's the breaking that I'm worried about. Either I will have to find a wash-n-wear cut to work with or find a better way to rollerset my hair. :(

Also, I need some sort of way to Surge my hair daily w/o washing my hair daily. Maybe I can rinse my hair daily AFTER I've roller set it for the night and spray Surge along the parts?

Hi Ladies!

I have been very consistant as well. I conditioner wash every day, use the baggie method and wet bun/phoney pony. I look forward to hitting brastrap in a couple of months! The baggie method perfected my protective styles.

Checking in ya'll.

I'm still spraying but, I can't tell if it grew any longer but, the shedding has stopped. I brought two bottles of Surge and since we started I still have a unused bottle and two jars of the ultramax. I will keep using this stuff until it's all gone. Whether it grows I can say I gave it a fair chance :grin:

Checkin in.

I think I'll compare every other month. I'll compare Jan with March, then March with May, etc.

maibabie checking in

i've been pretty good this month :look: but have yet to finalize a regime:wallbash: i do know my twa's growing :D

I've been sticking to my regimen. I started using Elasta QP Shampoo for Relaxed Hair and so far it has been working really great. After my last wash I started to exprience some breakage, I don't think my hair likes Lacio Lacio because that was the only thing I changed. I got about 1/4" new growth this month which is good for me because I usually get way less every month. I think it might be the Surge.

BahamaMama said:
I've been a bad bad girl this month...I hope to make up for it in February!
I am back to protective styling now, and my vitamin regimen is on track. I don't plan to touch heat til April.
It's good to know that you are getting back on track!

itismehmmkay said:
Dontspeakdefeat...............

You have got to be THE MOST CONSISTENT person I know...(aside from my parents). :clap: That is one of the most important virtues to me....you're awesome! :D

As far as the challenge, I've fallen off....I actually forgot about it. So, I need to decide on a regimen that I can stick with. My main problem is that I know rollersetting w/ the rollerpins (bobby pins) are breaking my hair along the parts. I can endure sleeping in rollers no problem, it's the breaking that I'm worried about. Either I will have to find a wash-n-wear cut to work with or find a better way to rollerset my hair. :(

Also, I need some sort of way to Surge my hair daily w/o washing my hair daily. Maybe I can rinse my hair daily AFTER I've roller set it for the night and spray Surge along the parts?
Why, thank you!:D

Sorry to hear you are having rollerset problems. I do believe that others here Surge without washing daily. You may wanna check into that!

I am sure this month you will remember the challenge. Don't make me have to send you a reminder pm everyday. You know I will!!:grin:

Softresses said:
Hi Ladies!

I have been very consistant as well. I conditioner wash every day, use the baggie method and wet bun/phoney pony. I look forward to hitting brastrap in a couple of months! The baggie method perfected my protective styles.
Isn't the baggie method great!! I am routing for you to get to brastrap soon. That's exciting:)

Princess4real said:
Checking in ya'll.

I'm still spraying but, I can't tell if it grew any longer but, the shedding has stopped. I brought two bottles of Surge and since we started I still have a unused bottle and two jars of the ultramax. I will keep using this stuff until it's all gone. Whether it grows I can say I gave it a fair chance :grin:
I am glad to hear that the shedding stopped. Sounds like you have everything under control. HHG

SVT said:
Checkin in.

I think I'll compare every other month. I'll compare Jan with March, then March with May, etc.

This is a great idea! That way it won't seem like you are watching grass grow.

maibabie said:
maibabie checking in

i've been pretty good this month :look: but have yet to finalize a regime:wallbash: i do know my twa's growing :D
Great! I am sure you will complete your regemin soon! Good Luck!

Shawnee66 said:
I've been sticking to my regimen. I started using Elasta QP Shampoo for Relaxed Hair and so far it has been working really great. After my last wash I started to exprience some breakage, I don't think my hair likes Lacio Lacio because that was the only thing I changed. I got about 1/4" new growth this month which is good for me because I usually get way less every month. I think it might be the Surge.
That's great!! I am glad that you had a "surge" in growth!! That's awesome.
:)

My regime is washing once per week followed by a deep conditioner with or without heat depending on what I'm using. I'm at 6 weeks post relaxer and it's much easier for me to rollerset my hair at this stage so I'm doing that weekly. I don't plan to relax until the end of February going into March.

The problem that I'm having now is that I'm having breakage is my nape area. I had cut it recently but its still breaking and I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'll just try to nurse it back for February.

I've been doing okay. I've been sick and for the past week, I haven't been co-washing daily like I was supposed to or taking my vitamins everyday. But today I got back on track. :) I'm going back to my regimen and my new goal is to deep condition with heat at least once every two weeks.

Here are my pic updates. nothing too spectacular but I am a thumb away from brastrap. literaly so I am resisting the urge to press until july.

Excuse my fat I am losing holiday weight.

Attachments

• 100_0279.JPG
    100_0279.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_0288.JPG
    100_0288.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I am buying the Cathy Howse book and I will be trying her method this year. I have decided that air drying=protective styles done together don't work for me- I got alot of breakage from this. I am going to attemp to not trim for at least four months ( I don't know about giving it up forever though). I am going to wash every three to five days.

I've been pretty consistent with my regimen last month. I deep conditioned at each weekly wash. I upped my water intake and I tried to moisturize more. I don't know how long my hair is now, but I'm probably going to get a trim by the end of the month to gradually get rid of my layers, and I will probably get a relaxer too. I just need to moisturize more to get rid of some breakage.

Hi DSD,
Its frustrating but I'm sticking to the plan :) This new growth is a bit discouraging!!! Any suggestions

:wave: Checking in!! :D

I'm doing good... I'm on the vitamin challenge and the oil challenge and both are going well... I'm at about 13 or 14 weeks post t/u now, so I'll be getting my touch up & trim in a few weeks.:) I'm actually looking forward to my trim cuz my ends are looking straggly lately... just hoping it doesn't set me back and put me too far back from bra-strap!!:(

Poohbear said:
I will try to stick to my regime and be consistent but that's somewhat impossible since I am transitioning. Right now, airdried rollersets have been working for me. When my hair starts to get flat or not as curly/stylish anymore, I will put it in my synthetic scrunchie hair bun. I plan on washing and conditioning my hair once a week or every 2 weeks.

I'm not sure how much growth or length I've gotten or retained. It's hard to tell because of shrinkage (I almost have 18 weeks of new growth) and I'm on the no heat challenge (so I don't want to press my hair like I did on Christmas just to see how long it is).

Encouragement, advice, and support??? Here are some things that I'm trying to master: Pray, have patience, don't think about your hair (meaning don't stress or be depressed over it), and leave it alone!!! Also, don't get caught up in wanting your hair to look like someone elses' because it never will. And as you always say, DSD... don't speak defeat over your hair! ;)

I needed to hear this one , Thanks :)

Ive actually done very good on this challenge (my first). I wash my hair once a week, deep condition with every wash, this past sunday was the first time I air dried. Im currently 10 weeks post relaxer, which can be rough, so I use my CHI iron to straighten out the new growth. I also wore my hair in a bun for the whole month of january! That is a big deal for me since I ALWAYS wear my hair out. This month will be my second month bunning it!

I most likely will invest in some biotin vitamins to see if that will help with my growth.

I will be getting a touchup either at the end of this month or if I can handle the new growth I will try to make it to mid-March.

You forgot to list me. "Lshevonne"

I've been doing good with my regimen, except today I used my blow-dryer since I was in a hurry. I've also added a photo that's not very good but I'll post another one later.
Wrapping each night with my hair in a high pony.

Lana

I think I had a great month! I have been taking my vitamins, protein shakes, been oiling the hair and scalp daily and started back on my personal Surge challenge! I still see splits erry now and then, but I cut them as I see them, knowing I still have some damage hair to get rid of. Probably at least an inch worth. I am going to continue my regimen and see what next month holds!

Regimen:

I use to wash every three days, trying to narrow it down to every 5.
Every 3 washes I airdry. My hair likes to have some heat every now and then.

Wash with M/T shampoo and on special days wash with Biolage Fortifying shampoo. Condition with Ultra Hydrating Biolage and M/T conditioner together.
Lacio Lacio or CHI serum as a leave in.
Airdry- apply oils and Surge to scalp.

Emergencee every other week and GPB the alternate week.
Clarify once every three weeks.

I am going to continue with this until I get my SALERM WHEAT GERM MASK in the mail! They are taking forever to deliver! :(

Things have been good over here. Im in my 7th week post relaxer and Im trying to stretch to 12. As of late Ive been doing co washes and slicking it back into a bun.

Still goin strong. Maintaining my routine of protective styles, moisture, moisture, moisture, washes once a week, to include deep conditioning. I am no longer combing, unless its a wash day. Trying to stretch my relaxers to at least 8 weeks, since i am dealing with underprocessed hair that breaks. My goal is to gain thickness from the breakage that occured from the underprocessing.

Hey there DSD and fellow SGOC'ers!!

I am hanging in there ... only added capilong and manipulations to my regimen. I used a permanent marker to record my length on an old shirt Jan 1 and won't measure again 'til March 1. Lets hope I am at least an inch beyond ... Great luck and happyhair growing to everyone!

Back