Do You Have A Higher Degree Than Your So?

Do you have a higher degree than your SO?

• Yes

Votes: 42 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 30.0%

• Total voters

LovingLady

I was watching the third episode of Insecure and Isa's friend Molly decides to "just be friends" with a guy because he didn't have a degree. I would have continued to date him, his lack of a degree would not have been an eliminating factor for me. That got me thinking, how many women are comfortable dating/marry men without a college degree or one that is lower than theirs.

I know a LOT of successful men who don't have degrees, so no, I wouldn't eliminate them from my dating pool just because of this. My most recent exes didn't have degrees and it wasn't a deal breaker.

At this point in life, however, I would like someone who is within the same salary range as me or higher, but there are so many ways to obtain that (legally) without a degree or minimal education. Most guys I know who are making a decent living sans education have serious entrepreneurial spirit, and I actually find that impressive.

Last edited:
No because I have a whole bag of unintentional degrees, so there is no need to compare... but you at least have to have a graduate degree from somewhere decent! Also, my field is different... I'm getting a PhD cos I want to become a professor, but I don't expect anyone I'm with to have that if they don't have the same career aspirations. A bachelors degree is not enough though...

ETA: Actually I don't know if I would... I don't personally know any adults over 20 yrs old without a college degree so my perspective is very skewed.

Last edited:
A bachelor's degree is a minimum... it's the new high school diploma. I don't know any guy in my salary range and up without at least some sort of degree. I don't know many people over 25 without a degree but I do live in a very educated area and my friends from back home are people I went to college with.

All these successful men without degrees must be invisible to me.....

A man would have to be pretty extraordinary for me to date him if he doesn't have a degree. I really value education and my time in post-secondary education has provided me with so many amazing opportunities, allowed me to interact with so many cool thinkers, challenged me in so many unique ways, provided me with increased earning potential etc. I'm not saying that post-secondary education is the ONLY way to grow in this way, but for many people it is. I definitely think Molly made the right choice by dropping cute Enterprise guy. If he was some kind of world-travelling-tech-startup/Entrepreneur type, that is a completely different situation and may be worth evaluating.

I was watching the third episode of Insecure and Isa's friend Molly decides to "just be friends" with a guy because he didn't have a degree. I would have continued to date him, his lack of a degree would not have been an eliminating factor for me. That got me thinking, how many women are comfortable dating/marry men without a college degree or one that is lower than theirs.
This is interesting because when I worked at Enterprise they only hired people with degrees.

My preference is to date someone with at least a bachelor's degree and I have a master's degree.

I have no time for the regret or resentment that comes with a guy that didn't finish school.

I haven't dated guys that never went to school so I don't know if they have those same characteristics.

My parents would be very against me being with someone without a bachelor's degree. My DH only has a bachelor's but he's in the engineering field so he almost makes twice what I make. I'm almost to a doctorate (two classes left) but I plan on being a professor in the near future.

Once I graduate from school(senior year), me and hubby will have the same degree: Bachelors of Science in Accounting. My husband has his CPA certification. I'll be going for my CFA right after I graduate. My husband is an investment banker so he'll always make more tha. Me(2-3x more) unless I choose that field, which I won't!

A bachelor's degree is a minimum... it's the new high school diploma. I don't know any guy in my salary range and up without at least some sort of degree. I don't know many people over 25 without a degree but I do live in a very educated area and my friends from back home are people I went to college with.

All these successful men without degrees must be invisible to me.....

Well several factors play into that including the area/city some people live in, groups of people you may hang with and opportunities and industries available. Before moving to where I am now, the idea of dating a man without a degree seemed reprehensible, but I live in a city where there's opportunity for pretty much any and everything.

It's actually pushing me to want more for myself.

It's all about the hustle out here.

Reactions: JFK
I have a PhD so it's unlikely I'll date someone with an equivalent level of education. A Bachelor's is usually my minimum requirement, but I'm open if the guy is intellectually curious and has a stable, high earning career (like some sort of technical certificate + career). I've met many educated fools so I place less emphasis on degree attainment and more emphasis on intellect and character. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not trying to date a broke brotha.

I'm not an education snob, so I don't limit my dating pool. But one thing I've noticed is that men without degrees lack a certain "polish". I can only work with that when I'm in a certain mood.......so I tend to lean towards those with degrees. I have a BE and an MBA but I'm ok with men with just bachelor degrees.

Most of the guys I date have a bachelors.
Chances are the man I marry won't have a Masters or PhD. I place more emphasis on salary versus education. I am in a high government area so there is wiggle room for that.

Once I graduate from school(senior year), me and hubby will have the same degree: Bachelors of Science in Accounting. My husband has his CPA certification. I'll be going for my CFA right after I graduate.
Yay CPA!!! I just got my license this month.

FYI.......all military officers are required to have degrees. No degree, no rank, so you're good. They're are some of the best people I know.

I have my masters but when I decide to be social and go out to meet people it's college/alumni/networking events so meeting men with no degree is unlikely.

The only exception Id be willing to make is a high ranking officer in the military.

I know a lot of men who do not have college degrees, but make six figures. I didn't think it was uncommon. Usually, their parents have money and passed down a business. For example, my current boo has a family farm. They have hundreds of acres & sell cattle, hay, timber wood, have a shooting range, etc. (He also does welding, electrical work and some other stuff). My ex made six figures as a train engineer and he doesn't have a degree. My cousin owns a tow truck business and is well off. He doesn't have a college degree...idk maybe it's a southern thing.

I know a lot of men who do not have college degrees, but make six figures. I didn't think it was uncommon. Usually, their parents have money and passed down a business. For example, my current boo has a family farm. They have hundreds of acres & sell cattle, hay, timber wood, have a shooting range, etc. (He also does welding, electrical work and some other stuff). My cousin owns a tow truck business and is well off. He doesn't have a college degree...idk maybe it's a southern thing.
a lot of people in IT are also the same. that's changing quickly as they're hiring them from India and China and paying them way less smh

Lol! I agree with you! Especially when I'm wearing the steel-toes. :look:

I personally have clicked better with men without degrees even though I'll have my PhD this year. I like country men who work with their hands. I like a little roughness and being bent over in steel toe boots. *Runs away and exits thread* :lachen:

I know a LOT of successful men who don't have degrees, so no, I wouldn't eliminate them from my dating pool just because of this. My most recent exes didn't have degrees and it wasn't a deal breaker.

At this point in life, however, I would like someone who is within the same salary range as me or higher, but there are so many ways to obtain that (legally) without a degree or minimal education. Most guys I know who are making a decent living sans education have serious entrepreneurial spirit, and I actually find that impressive.
Definitely. I went to a conference and met a business owner. He stared undergrad but then dropped out. He understood how to make money without the degree and that is what he did.

@qchelle and @KiSseS03 I wouldn't be surprised if we see Enterprise guy again. I have high hopes that he gets a promotion, starts making $100,000/year and the new guys Molly dates make $60,000/year and have $125,000 in student loan debt. :rofl:

I'm not an education snob, so I don't limit my dating pool. But one thing I've noticed is that men without degrees lack a certain "polish". I can only work with that when I'm in a certain mood.......so I tend to lean towards those with degrees. I have a BE and an MBA but I'm ok with men with just bachelor degrees.

I completely agree. My SO got his Master's before I did, but in the event we end, the next man would need to be extraordinary if he doesn't have a degree and especially have that polish I appreciate.

I honestly am shifting to caring more about their ability to provide, how they handle money, debt to income ration, credit score etc.

Last edited:
Money is not the reason I prefer men with a degree. Settling down with a man who has the skill set to make good money is prerequisite. A man that values education is in addition that. It's not an either or. My fh is an engineer, but also educated.

It's just down to preference at the end of the day and not everyone cares the same about every category. I find the ruggedness sexy, I like being looked after financially, but intelligence/a man who excels in academics also does it for me too. My whole package ideal if you must (or close to ideal as possible). Its not a dealbreaker like making less money than me might be :look:. More like a strong preference that I will stick by as long as I'm in the position where that doesn't affect my dating.

If I got to 35 + and became single/divorced then I would definitely find a way to compromise on my personal preferences if my options changed. As long as a woman is in the position where she has enough applications for her affections that she can shortlist (man with no kids etc..) I think she is fine to filter.

I have my masters but when I decide to be social and go out to meet people it's college/alumni/networking events so meeting men with no degree is unlikely.

The only exception Id be willing to make is a high ranking officer in the military.
I need to find some of those in DC. Good idea/place to meet educated men.
High ranking officers must at least have Masters or a professional degree (JD or MD/PhD).
But I am with you on the sentiment. I wouldn't date someone unless he were senior enlisted or officer AD.

Back