Would you date a man with no college education?

No. At this point in my life, I've realized making concessions for things that are important TO ME to please others has brought me nothing but problems.

No. I won't make apologies about it either. And I don't see how that will affect the lives of others. But God may have something else in store for me.

But, see, it's those QUALITIES that have led him back to school. I think for a lot of women the degree is a sort-of proxy test . . . if a man has a degree you know that at least he has the gumption to accomplish something and put his nose to the grindstone. Now, if a person sleeps through all of their classes and stay high and parties all while they're in college, they will either not finish . . . or their "degree in name only" will manifest itself in the way they treat other aspects of their lives, i.e., the "educated fool" argument folks seem to be getting at . . . .

Reading this post made me think of something else - sometimes I think it can depend on the industry a person is in as well. As foul as this may sound, but the same way that men in certain fields (sports, entertainment, etc.) want to make sure they have a dime-piece on their arm, I can see how for a woman who works in a prestigious field that it might be important to have a partner who is able to fit into that environment . . . ESPECIALLY as a black woman. In my work setting it's not unusual to have the "where are you from/where do you work/where did you go to school" conversation within 5 minutes of meeting someone. And, I actually do have a co-worker, who is a sista with a Master's Degree . . . took up with a dude with no degree who sells handbags on the corner (and has been in prison :look:) I cannot tell you how much her status in the office plummeted after she started bringing him around the office. It's actually quite infuriating (and illegal!) to do so, but the management looks at and treats her totally differently now . . . and she knows it :nono: And here's the kicker - he actually is a decent guy. Nice looking, treats her well, but yeah . . . his "status" (or lack thereof) has cost her professionally. So that's one aspect of wanting to be with degreed person if you have a degree. Then, there's also the question of dealing with jealousy and feelings of inferiority. One of my friends had an ex who was a college dropout and he refused to hang around her friends because he thought we were all lawyers. And, trust, we do not sit around talking about the theories of Kant all day so it wasn't like we would be having these high brow conversations that he couldn't participate in. We weren't even talking "proper" - we had slang and ebonics all over the place. But, he just felt intimidated. Needless to say, they broke up.

Even though I also pointed to Bill Gates as an example, we have to remember - he dropped out of Harvard . . . because he had a genius product that he wanted to focus on . . . not to sit at home in mom's basement to play videogames and shop for sneakers :look: (BTW, I think he also came from an affluent family . . . so "dropping out" for him was probably a much different story than WeeBay from around the corna.)

I guess that's what it really boils down to . . . are you not going to college because you have something else in mind that you're passionate about that you want to focus on? Or, are you just being lazy? I think a lot of people conflate "not going to college" with laziness. While laziness may be the issue for some, I'm certain it's not true for all.

I have to say, though, that this whole conversation reminds me of when I was applying to college. I remember this pack of girls saw me with my applications and shrugged it off saying, "Ugh. That's just too much!" Mmmkay. And that's why you now work at Burger King.

*shrug*

Wow. I agree with everything especially the bolded. Drive and ambition...I'm glad you articulated that well. That's what I'm talking about! So it's not even just college it's where are you going, do you have drive, are you passionate about what you're doing?

I would also like to add to those mentioning how people are stupid in college too...I also think it depends on where they go because I agree there are some stupid people who graduated but I have to add that I think it depends. Some schools you could not survive if you are not in the books. I know a lady who came to take classes at NYU (in the second summer session as part of some exchange with her school). She was shocked to say the least. She expected us to party. And was like, where are the parties? I was like people don't drink from kegs here, there is no real "community" as in other schools. At nyu, nyc is your campus. In addition most people study, and she was like, "what! we throw up our books like fu%k school! And then we party."

I smiled and thought how cute. I couldn't fathom someone saying that at NYU. They get their work done. And of course they may go to a lounge, or club when it's done, or hang out with friends and go eat, see a play, etc....but it's not a frat environment. It's an environment that forces you to put up or shut up and get out. Needless to say she didn't do very well. There's no way to get around studying at NYU (and yes you have to be intelligent. I've met some ridiculously smart people here all with high gpas and ridiculous test scores, and though I realize tests aren't everything you can tell when you talk to them that they are "together". That being said there are some ignorant people here: only defined by their environment and views of others but that is like anywhere else when you're dealing with different cultures).

I did however take classes (with permission from nyu) at another school when I was in l.a (when I was in undergrad) and I wanted to shoot myself. Those classes that semester were so easy I was dying I tell you. I dreaded going to class. I felt like hours of my life were wasted there for no good reason. I wanted to tell them that I wanted my life back give it to me!!! I really wasn't impressed with anyone saying they had a 4.0 I was like duh how could you not have a high gpa here. I was happy to return back to nyu. Because I need a challege. And really I didn't have to think about anything and I really don't think I learned much that semester of use. So I also think it's the type of school chosen too. I know that others think it's snobby and any school is fine. But really there are some schools that have higher academic standards than others.

Also in another post you mentioned the whole school as a means to an end, and I agree with you. I never thought of it that way either, though I respect other's beliefs for that. I've always thought of school as knowledge. Sure I will get a degree but really I love learning new things period and school is a wonderful way to take advantage of learning different perspectives and exploring avenues.

Last edited:
No one thing will ever be for everyone. Higher education is valuable, but it is not a requirement, thus making it an option. It may be disturbing to hear "go to school, get a good job", but that is the dream that is sold to us from a young age. There are many people who are successful without a college degree besides Oprah and Bill Gates. There are also many college graduates who are unsuccessful.

Going off on a tangent here, but I *hate* education being sold like that . . . not only to us as a people but also to poor people. I feel like the idea of learning for learning's sake is something that is only preached to the upperclasses (presuming that a person has the inclination and interest in doing so). But if you're poor or black or whatever, it's like an understood that you're going to have to work for your bread so go learn how to toil. :lachen:

Going off on a tangent here, but I *hate* education being sold like that . . . not only to us as a people but also to poor people. I feel like the idea of learning for learning's sake is something that is only preached to the upperclasses (presuming that a person has the inclination and interest in doing so). But if you're poor or black or whatever, it's like an understood that you're going to have to work for your bread so go learn how to toil. :lachen:

I know several white people who were told the same thing as well. Realistically, it has to be sold as the light at the end of the tunnel. Not many people will go through years of school just for the hell of it, if they don't have to.

I married one. He is at this moment the most successful of his family. He did not finish his college education. He is sharp, intelligent, determined, and a hard worker. While his brother, and other family members were finishing their degrees - he was getting paid experience in his field of interest. Therefore, he has climbed up the ladder and has been/is financially successful.
Everyone is entitled to their "wish list", but "scholastic" intelligence is not the only necessary education. Experience goes much further - IMO.
But I must agree that education is a priority, but most certainly not a deal breaker.
I will encourage my children to gain secular training, but I would prefer knowing that my children can provide for themselves and their families independently - with or without degrees'... just a piece of paper - doesn't make others inferior or less successful than anyone. Whatever happened to genuine LOVE???
*makes me think of "Chili's Checklist"* Love don't pay the bills, but it does conquer all things... - can have lots of degrees, and still be broke! I know LOTS of ppl like this - trust!

Last edited:
Fair point.

:yep: That's why I said it was a means to an end. Most people associate getting a degree as a way to secure a successful career. Going to college is really a journey not a destination. If it was, the degree would be hanging on the wall and it would be useless. After all, student loans don't pay themselves. :lol:

Yes...a college degree is just a piece of paper. It's his personality that I'm more concerned about. Now, I wouldn't date a man with a GED or no high school diploma.

I have a MBA, work for a Fortune 100 Company, and I'm miserable!!! I make good money but have no sense of achievement/inspiration from my career.

My SO went to school, left in '04 and is still 6 credits shy of earning a bachelor's. Now he works 3-4 hours a day/ 8 months out the year and enjoys life!
Bitter party of 1 ....right HERE!!!!

I really feel like I've missed out by pursuing the "paper," not my passion. Hats off to those who have done both.

If your man makes it a point to start calling you names like "bougey" he's obviously dealing with his own insecurities...Uhmm, not your problem. But my opinion is put a higher value on his character, his values, and his actions versus his academic accomplishments.

I have a MBA, work for a Fortune 100 Company, and I'm miserable!!! I make good money but have no sense of achievement/inspiration from my career.

My SO went to school, left in '04 and is still 6 credits shy of earning a bachelor's. Now he works 3-4 hours a day/ 8 months out the year and enjoys life!
Bitter party of 1 ....right HERE!!!!

I really feel like I've missed out by pursuing the "paper," not my passion. Hats off to those who have done both.

If your man makes it a point to start calling you names like "bougey" he's obviously dealing with his own insecurities...Uhmm, not your problem. But my opinion is put a higher value on his character, his values, and his actions versus his academic accomplishments.

I definitely agree with this. :yep:

I know a lot of people who have fulfilled their passions sans a college degree. One of my good friends is a twin. He went the traditional route and is working on his second Master's degree. His twin brother attended trade school for 18 months and now owns a successful business. My friend definitely regrets not following his passion. He wanted to go into a similar field like his brother did, but always told a college degree was the ticket to success.

@Glib Girl. Of course, not everyone who drops out of college can turn into a Bill Gates, but you can surely get a better job than flipping burgers without a degree. Although, I'm fairly certain, you were exaggerating. :) Myself, having no degree, I have worked side by side, earning the same amount of money as people who had them. I've also been promoted above people with them and have worked under bosses without them. I know a person with a masters, who now, actually has a job that's basically the equivalent of flipping burgers.

I think unless you're ambition is to be a doctor a lawyer or to go into some other specialized profession, you don't need a degree. I've seen way too many people succeed without them for me to believe otherwise.

Don't get me wrong. I believe in education and I applaud those who seek it. However, you don't need college to open a book or research a topic on the internet.

Last edited:
I'm not understanding this assumption that if a guy doesn't have a college degree then he's not intelligent. And it's all where you look. If you truly believe that all men without a college degree are lazy weed smokers or rappers, then of course that's all you are going to see. :kanyeshrug:

My experience has been different. And the wealthy guys I mentioned above had a plan, started a business and worked their way up. Most 24 y/o's are struggling right now out of college...they are set. I think that takes some type of intelligence. Degree or not.

Please. I didn't say that at all.I didn't say all men without a college degree are weed smokers :ohwell:. These were the men who were intelligent and smart, but did not want to go to college or dropped out because they were lazy. I'm not making this crap up. I literally sat them down while I was in college and talked to them because they were good guys, they told me why they weren't in school (because I'm lazy and I'd rather do X, Y, Z). There's no bigger turn off for me than a man without ambition :nono:.

Just because you have a degree does NOT make you smart, but I'm not going to front as if the people that I've had in my life who did not have a college degree were on the same page as me. I do not have a several examples of men who did not go to college that could converse with me on:

- Topics concerning politics in America and around the world
- General information about life (so a various array of random issues)
- Random cultural literacy issues
- -Etc.

Hell, I haven't met that many men who have college degrees that actually share some interest discussing these topics. I know I need this in my life since that's one of the main reasons why I could not stand being in high school at all.

I'm in education so I see what a high school degree REALLY means in America and it doesn't mean much. College degrees aren't worth much either, but it's a better look (depending how much debt you have accumulated). Literacy is a problem in America. Most people do not read books or newspapers on their own. I do and I want that in a mate.

It's not as if I'm asking a man when I first meet him, "Oh, did you go to college? Also, what's your salary?":rolleyes: I do not make assumptions of intelligence based on paper, because that's also dumb. I should qualify my previous statement that most of the rich guys that I know who are dumb as rocks went to college.

Now, people are talking about the value of a college education. I understand that, and I remember posting in a thread on a similar topic saying that if you are going to rack up 200,000 worth of debt, I do not think it's worth it (unless it's medical school). So are people who don't go to college dumb? Never said that. They could be highly intelligent and knowledgeable about the field that they're in.

But how many people actually do an intellectual breakdown about the pros and cons of college education? Then say, "Hmmm, I'm going to start my own business." Most students who don't go to college or trade school DO NOT want to go because they never cared about school. I deal with this every M - F.

Black people drop out of high school at a higher degree than whites. You telling me that most forsake college because they weighed the pros/cons of a degree? Or because they are not prepared? Because I'll go in on that topic any day, all day. The aforementioned examples of people who were successful without a college degree is fine, but these people had ambition and a plan. That's a key difference.

Is anyone willing to say that the latter is a typical or indicative of those who opt not to go to school?

I'm not having kids with a man who doesn't value knowledge or who doesn't have a thirst for it. If he doesn't have a degree, I need him to be a reader. He has to have cultural literacy. Period. And yes, there are other qualities that this man has to have that goes without saying, but the topic is college education.

Last edited:
Also in another post you mentioned the whole school as a means to an end, and I agree with you. I never thought of it that way either, though I respect other's beliefs for that. I've always thought of school as knowledge. Sure I will get a degree but really I love learning new things period and school is a wonderful way to take advantage of learning different perspectives and exploring avenues.

This is me, too. I know financial success is a consideration, but if I'm going to spend the rest of my life with one man, I better know that I like talking to him.

People are turning this into a conversation of degree vs success vs happiness. For me, this topic boils down to how much is the man intellectually curious and what does he like to talk about in his spare time? College can be more than a means to an end, and I think the human experience benefits more by being culturally literate. If a man can be that and not go to college, great. But is it the rule? Not in my experience.

i really thought about this question and i don't know the answer. i think it would depend on the man and what he's doing with his life, why he didn't go to college and what kind of drive he has in his life to be successful and provide for himself.

i went to college (art school b/c i hated school, but my parents were going to pay for it and i knew it was a free ticket out) and i have a good job and i make decent $$. i'm glad i had the experience to live on my own, juggle school, and make my own decisions, etc.

i dated a guy who didn't have his college education completed. he worked in retail for a cell phone company and had to pay his way through school. this was while i was working at a job in my field. he was jealous of my "success". he had other emotional issues though in regards to family and women and well, after that, i decided i'd never date someone who isn't at my level.

my younger brother doesn't have a college degree. he went to college but after a year and a half, he left school. i was lucky b/c i had an interest that i could turn into a job. he didn't have a passion. he wants to go back to school but doesn't think he can afford it. he works as a freelancer and makes over 50K. he has a work ethic. he's not lazy when it comes to making $$. women are everywhere so this does not hinder his dating experience. he has a GF.

and there are countless people that i know of who started out in one career but then dropped it for something totally unrelated to their education and are banking serious $$... i guess it's more about personal drive than educational background.

I dunno. There's a refinement that comes (for most) with a college degree.
I'm very attracted to that.

No degree + No polish = No haps.

It's rare that I meet a guy who didn't go to college that is as successful as the men I know who did go. The easiest place to compare is on my FB friends list. The ones who went to college are all doing pretty well. They are mostly 26-31 so they aren't rich or anything, but they are working hard and some are working on adanced degrees to move farther in their career. The ones who didnt go??????? Well there is one that is a DJ/rapper and he's doing quite well on the local scene. The rest are working menial jobs doing hourly work.

You know how people say the 2 most important thing a degree shows an employeer is 1)you can finish something and 2) you are trainable. I looked at it the same way when I was in the dating world. A man's ability/ desire to finish or not finish college says something to me.

Please. I didn't say that at all.I didn't say all men without a college degree are weed smokers :ohwell:. These were the men who were intelligent and smart, but did not want to go to college or dropped out because they were lazy. I'm not making this crap up. I literally sat them down while I was in college and talked to them because they were good guys, they told me why they weren't in school (because I'm lazy and I'd rather do X, Y, Z). There's no bigger turn off for me than a man without ambition :nono:.

Just because you have a degree does NOT make you smart, but I'm not going to front as if the people that I've had in my life who did not have a college degree were on the same page as me. I do not have a several examples of men who did not go to college that could converse with me on:

- Topics concerning politics in America and around the world
- General information about life (so a various array of random issues)
- Random cultural literacy issues
- -Etc.

Hell, I haven't met that many men who have college degrees that actually share some interest discussing these topics. I know I need this in my life since that's one of the main reasons why I could not stand being in high school at all.

I'm in education so I see what a high school degree REALLY means in America and it doesn't mean much. College degrees aren't worth much either, but it's a better look (depending how much debt you have accumulated). Literacy is a problem in America. Most people do not read books or newspapers on their own. I do and I want that in a mate.

It's not as if I'm asking a man when I first meet him, "Oh, did you go to college? Also, what's your salary?":rolleyes: I do not make assumptions of intelligence based on paper, because that's also dumb. I should qualify my previous statement that most of the rich guys that I know who are dumb as rocks went to college.

Now, people are talking about the value of a college education. I understand that, and I remember posting in a thread on a similar topic saying that if you are going to rack up 200,000 worth of debt, I do not think it's worth it (unless it's medical school). So are people who don't go to college dumb? Never said that. They could be highly intelligent and knowledgeable about the field that they're in.

But how many people actually do an intellectual breakdown about the pros and cons of college education? Then say, "Hmmm, I'm going to start my own business." Most students who don't go to college or trade school DO NOT want to go because they never cared about school. I deal with this every M - F.

Black people drop out of high school at a higher degree than whites. You telling me that most forsake college because they weighed the pros/cons of a degree? Or because they are not prepared? Because I'll go in on that topic any day, all day. The aforementioned examples of people who were successful without a college degree is fine, but these people had ambition and a plan. That's a key difference.

Is anyone willing to say that the latter is a typical or indicative of those who opt not to go to school?

I'm not having kids with a man who doesn't value knowledge or who doesn't have a thirst for it. If he doesn't have a degree, I need him to be a reader. He has to have cultural literacy. Period. And yes, there are other qualities that this man has to have that goes without saying, but the topic is college education.

I didn't say that you did. So...

I'm going to tell the truth..
as far as college education is concerned, I co-sign with some of the other ladies- as long as he has a decent job that pays moderately well, has no record, is intelligent with a good head on his shoulders and desires to work together with me to create the best life possible for ourselves, I can overlook a lot.

My SO is exactly the man i've described above- he doesn't have a college education and, although he does tell me that I use big words etc., lol I find that we are very well matched together. The areas i'm good at are where I can fill in the blanks for him and vice versa. I almost venture to say i'm not attracted to men with college degrees because when it comes to relationships they know they are a "catch" (and a large portion of them believe that no matter what you bring to the table they can always do better). A lot of them are what I can call "power trippers"- the kind that know they are worth something to a decent woman (even if she has equal or better education) will marry said "smart broad" and be sleeping with their assistant (either because she's dumber or smarter in some ways or even for completely different selfish reasons vs. the wife) or have skeletons in their closet. Again, not speaking of all men with college degrees, but definitely some.

Last edited:
OP, is this still about the guy you are with? If so I wish you would ask it all at once and give people the full picture: Would you date an uneducated man (who promised to go back to school but won't), who prefers white women over black, thinks black women are gold-diggers, smokes weed all day, has a 7 year-old bi-racial daughter he just found out about, but treats you nicely so long as you don't bring up topics he doesn't want to discuss?

You know it's bad when hopeful comes for you. :look:

Yes, but I'm not sure if I'd marry him. My last BF was really smart, but his jobs were all in sales and he had no degree. Having a degree is almost a must nowadays and I'd hate to have a chance for adventure somewhere and my husband can't get work because everyone wants the paper. Then again, if he has a specialized skill (like IT or something) then being smart is the only qualification.

Okay I just stumbled across this today and thought it was relevant to this thread:

NEWS RELEASE:
The American Council on Education

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

RECENT GRADUATES SAY DEGREES ARE WORTH TIME, MONEY SPENT

Washington, DC (Dec. 13, 2010)—The more than 2.4 million students who receive an undergraduate degree in the United States each year have college experiences that are individual and diverse, but the students are nearly unanimous in their opinion of the value of their degree. Polling conducted by The Winston Group on behalf of the American Council on Education (ACE) indicates that 89 percent of young alumni found their education worth the time and money spent.

In early 2010, ACE conducted a national survey of recent college graduates (25-39 years old) of two- and four-year institutions about their undergraduate experiences. Following on the 2010 survey, ACE conducted identical institution-level surveys of graduates from 22 individual colleges and universities which volunteered to participate in the study.

“In light of numerous efforts to increase the number of college graduates and recent scrutiny of the value of postsecondary credentials, the alumni voice is an important component in the assessment of our institutions,” said ACE President Molly Corbett Broad. “We are delighted to learn that they have a positive view of their experiences. But they are not without concerns, and we take those concerns very seriously.”

John Sexton, chair of ACE’s board and president of New York University, said, “These numbers speak to the excellence of American higher education–not only the overall academic quality of our institutions, but also the value of institutional diversity: that among our many different types of colleges and universities, there will be a good fit that allows almost everyone to advance his or her education successfully. Even in a time when there is a lot of national dissatisfaction, there is still confidence in our institutions of higher education. For college leaders, that should be a source of pride, but never complacency, because without sustained effort– to improve teaching and learning, to carry out research, and to restrain costs—faith in our colleges can slip away from us as it has from other civic institutions.”

Among all recent graduates, the ACE study found that 89 percent believed their education was worth it—even after considering the time and money required to attend. Individual institutional responses ranged from 80-97 percent agreeing that their college education was worth the time and money spent (Fig. 1). Nearly 80 percent of young alumni reported that they would attend the same institution, though this finding was slightly more likely at four-year institutions than at their two-year counterparts.

cid:image007.gif@01CB9AA0.0F6FC860

When asked how useful they found their college education and experiences in preparing them for the work force and to meet future societal challenges, 81 percent of alumni felt that, overall they were prepared by their college or university and 85 percent felt their undergraduate experience had prepared them for their current job. However, in the national sample, only 62 percent reported they believe colleges in general were preparing students for demands of the modern workforce. Responses ranged from 59-72 percent of alumni reporting that individual institutions are preparing students for the modern workforce. (Fig. 2)

cid:image008.gif@01CB9AA0.0F6FC860

Alumni were asked what they thought was the most important role of colleges and universities. Not surprisingly, 28 percent reported “preparing students for employment.” However, 31 percent reported “teaching students how to think critically” and 17 percent selected “preparing students to solve problems that face our country” (Fig. 3). Even with the increased attention to career preparation, alumni clearly still identify fundamental problem-solving and inquiry skills as core values of their undergraduate education.

Fig. 3: What is the most important role of colleges and universities?
Prepare for employment
28%
Prepare to be responsible citizens
11%
Teach to learn and think critically
31%
Conduct research that benefits community
1%
Serve the community
2%
Prepare to solve problems facing our country
17%
Produce innovations that fuel economic development
6%

Graduates also have concerns about the price of higher education. Regardless of overall opinions on college prices, 76 percent of alumni report that their institution charged a fair price for their education. Graduates of public institutions are more likely to report that their own college or university charged a fair price for their education (77-90 percent). However, while graduates of private institutions were more concerned about price, they still overwhelmingly reported that the investment was worth it.

Alumni were asked who they believe should be primarily responsible for funding higher education. Students and families was the most common response (40 percent), followed by the federal government (30 percent) and state government (20 percent). There was some variability in the institutional responses, with community college graduates indicating more responsibility for financing should rest with state and federal governments (Fig. 4).

cid:image009.gif@01CB9AA0.0F6FC860

Founded in 1918, ACE (www.acenet.edu) is the major coordinating body for all the nation's higher education institutions, representing more than 1,600 college and university presidents, and more than 200 related associations, nationwide. It provides leadership on key higher education issues and influences public policy through advocacy.

###

thank you, glib
i get so tired of all the "college is a waste of money" threads around here...this was refreshing

I know, right? Yes, college should give you options for careers/jobs, but my college experience was a whole lot more than that :ohwell:. For what it's worth, people are generally better off with a college degree than without. You can still get into debt with a house, car, credit cards, etc without one either.

thank you, glib
i get so tired of all the "college is a waste of money" threads around here...this was refreshing
I don't know if it is true on this site or not, but the ones who are always shouting, that college is a waste of money are the one's who never graduated. That is what I have seen IRL. I have known some college graduates to say they wish they would have chosen another major, but NEVER that college was a waste of money.

I don't know if it is true on this site or not, but the ones who are always shouting, that college is a waste of money are the one's who never graduated. That is what I have seen IRL. I have known some college graduates to say they wish they would have chosen another major, but NEVER that college was a waste of money.
or they didn't go

Maybe they went, but realized that it is not for everyone. Anyway, I didn't see where anyone said that college was a waste of money. :ohwell:

I think for a lot of women the degree is a sort-of proxy test . . . if a man has a degree you know that at least he has the gumption to accomplish something and put his nose to the grindstone.
I agree, but why look for the proxy when you can go straight for the key characteristic? It's not difficult to see if a man has drive and ambition and is hardworking if you spend a little time to get to know him.

I'm not having kids with a man who doesn't value knowledge or who doesn't have a thirst for it.
Again, you're using college education as a proxy for some other characteristic - *valuing and thirsting after knowledge*. I want someone who values and thirsts for knowledge, so I look for someone who values and thirsts for knowledge. :look: No college degree necessary.

This is me, too. I know financial success is a consideration, but if I'm going to spend the rest of my life with one man, I better know that I like talking to him. ... For me, this topic boils down to how much is the man intellectually curious and what does he like to talk about in his spare time?
Another proxy. Stimulating conversation is a must for me, so I seek someone who can have stimulating conversations. :look: College degree not necessary.

That's the thing ladies, you can debate about whether or not someone without a college degree is highly likely to have the characteristics you are seeking, but really that's not what you are being asked. You are being asked whether the absence of a COLLEGE DEGREE IN AND OF ITSELF would make you say no to a man. In other words, if he had all the characteristics you find desirable, excepting a college degree, would that completely nix the deal? To successfully argue this, a college degree must be worth something in and of itself rather than simply being evidence or a proxy measurement for some other generally desirable trait. For e.g. you will get respect and pleasure from knowing and saying that your mate has a degree in such and such from such and such university - that would be a logical argument, because that is a benefit that CANNOT be obtained unless he has a college degree.

I will also say that general statistics / surveys about the benefits likely to be brought by a college education don't really help at all in this discussion. This is a personal decision made one man at a time based on the man in front of you. The fact that a college graduate is statistically more or less likely to do or be or earn this or that makes no difference. All that matters is what the man is front of you does, or is or earns.

Reading this post made me think of something else - sometimes I think it can depend on the industry a person is in as well... I can see how for a woman who works in a prestigious field that it might be important to have a partner who is able to fit into that environment . . . ESPECIALLY as a black woman. In my work setting it's not unusual to have the "where are you from/where do you work/where did you go to school" conversation within 5 minutes of meeting someone.
I agree with you about the importance of a suitable partner for one's professional status and mobility. However, I must say, the "Where did you go to school?" convo to me is a superficial red herring. If that man is intelligent, confident, can hold his own in a conversation,successful , and commands respect in his own right, I am sure none of my lawyer colleagues could / would find a thing to say. What's more, I wouldn't care if they did. People in general tend to respect success (and wealth) above all else. Intelligent people tend to respect intellect above all else. Of course your colleagues looked down on that multiple-degreed lady whose mate sold handbags on the corner and had a record. But I don't think that was because he didn't have a degree. I bet they would have been perfectly respectful towards a degree-less, well-presented owner of a successful upscale handbag store.

Last edited:

:yep::yep::yep:
And that is the truth.

My FH didn't go to college, but he isn't dumb or below me intellectually at all. He went to school to for doing car bodywork and painting, but had troubles finding a job in that field once he graduated. He has been a teacher's assistant and held down the same job for around 14 years now. He's worked with kids from preschool to high school age, and with special needs children. He's not a doctor, but he has a job that he loves, we have enough money for me to stay home with the baby until his first birthday, and all of his experience with kids has made him an awesome dad. He does wish he would have made different decisions when he was younger, but he still works on cars when he can.

Back