Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (4/1/2012 - 6/30/2012)

NappyNelle I thought I officially joined...I wasn't in the list up there :ohwell: I got my mini twists out pretty efficiently with conditioner+coconut oil and my modified denman. Shampooed with castile/water and used Aphogee 2-minute. That stuff is like a creamy hair lotion! Made my hair feel great upon rinsing out. Twisted with castor oil and got em pinned up somehow lol

7218268766_814e675677_z.jpg

-PYT You are a frequent poster, so I didn't have to 'summon' you for an update! :lol: The list in that post were for ladies I hadn't heard from in a while. :D

I like your pinned twists. I'm still being lazy, and sitting with conditioner on my hair under a hat. *sigh* At least it's protected, right? :lol:

okay gals.......It's time for me to say thanks a bunch and goodbye. As of Saturday I'll be kinky weaved up hopefully for the summer. I had a great time and I'll be back once I take my weave out.

Good luck to you all!

Awww TopShelf :sad: We will miss you. Enjoy your weave and take care of the hair underneath for us!

Oh okay, cool, you right lol I try to read through here at least once a day :) and yeah, that's a worthy PS :look: plus moisture!

Absolutely! Did your hair start to tangle at the roots, mid-shaft, or the ends? Any insight as to why that may be for our other participants that may be dealing with the same issue?

NappyNelle, Thank you for being so diligent in this challange and keeping us accountable. You are a GREAT leader:yep:

My ends tend to knots when I wear braids or twists too long because I have to braid the ends to keep them in and then I trim whenever I do get the chance to straighten. Here are pics, please be gentle:rolleyes::

My braids:
144b33m.jpg

My Straight hair:
15i1biw.jpg

346uk36.jpg

2mwgdpt.jpg

Last edited:
NappyNelle. Hey, I'm currently sitting here is some real busted up cornrows;)

I'm going to put this out there. I will be taking pictures next week. I said it so now I've got to do it. Thanks so much for following up and....HHJ:)

NappyNelle, Thank you for being so diligent in this challange and keeping us accountable. You are a GREAT leader:yep:

My ends tend to knots when I wear braids or twists too long because I have to braid the ends to keep them in and then I trim whenever I do get the chance to straighten.

Successfulmiss Your hair looks great! Why would we be 'rough' in our comments? :lol: It's so thick and your ends look really blunt/even to me. That is definitely something I am working on.

Thank you for the compliment. Hosting this challenge is so much fun! Thanks faithVA for allowing me to do so! :yep:

-PYT Yummy! Mango Tango Cloud is awesome on my hair! So far, I've used it to revive the sheen on my twists, take down my twists, to set and seal braid, and bantu knot outs, to massage my scalp, to smooth my loose hair back into a banana clip, to smooth my edges before gel, as a body oil :look: :lol:, in my SO's beard :lol:... it's a great multi use product for me that smells delightful. My hair really likes coconut oil, so I've been heavy with my usage of MTC.

Thanks a lot. Yeah I see that it can be used on skin too...i like that. All of her products look edible! :lick:

[USER=6275 said:
NappyNelle[/USER];15962113]@Successfulmiss Your hair looks great! Why would we be 'rough' in our comments? :lol: It's so thick and your ends look really blunt/even to me. That is definitely something I am working on.

Thank you for the compliment. Hosting this challenge is so much fun! Thanks @faithVA for allowing me to do so! :yep:

@-PYT Yummy! Mango Tango Cloud is awesome on my hair! So far, I've used it to revive the sheen on my twists, take down my twists, to set and seal braid, and bantu knot outs, to massage my scalp, to smooth my loose hair back into a banana clip, to smooth my edges before gel, as a body oil :look: :lol:, in my SO's beard :lol:... it's a great multi use product for me that smells delightful. My hair really likes coconut oil, so I've been heavy with my usage of MTC.

Letting you? :look: Girl you did me a favor. This quarter I am alllll over the place :lol: There is no way I could have managed this challenge. I am glad you are having fun.

I just took my twists out. I just finished washing and deep conditioning my hair, and I'll be wearing it out tomorrow and in a braid out on Saturday. I'll twist it up for another three week session on Sunday.

chiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllee i'm clarifying my hair tomorrow, but i've actually been consistent with my braids then twists then buns with some puffs. I haven't been taking pics of my hair though, but i'll try to remember tomorrow or earlier in the week. :grin:

Later today I I am going to pre poo with olive oil. Cowash with CJ Daily Fix, do a protein treatment. Followed by a moisture DC. I will be going back in twists for at least 2 Weeks.

Taking my twists out tomorrow after having them in for 3 weeks. I'll be rocking a braid-out tomorrow and Sunday, then I will wear two flat twists all week. Will re-twist my hair next Friday.

i have a new regi lol...i havent done any more twists, but i wear my hair in a bun EVERYDAY except for sunday. I wash my hair on saturday night and stretch it on flexirods and then wear it out on sunday and then bun it up for the rest of the week...i havent officially measured my hair but i definitely feel im retaining length!

Still in my cornrows bun. I haven't had cornrows since college, but I KNOW this one braid is too tight in the back of my head. Please someone - how can I loosen it up?

This is why I stopped braids :arg: I am getting braids one more time in a few weeks for my trip to Cancun. Last time ever!

Still in my cornrows bun. I haven't had cornrows since college, but I KNOW this one braid is too tight in the back of my head. Please someone - how can I loosen it up?

This is why I stopped braids :arg: I am getting braids one more time in a few weeks for my trip to Cancun. Last time ever!

lomaxee Lightly spray it with a water-based moisturizer. Then stick a hair pin underneath the braid, close to the scalp, and gently lift the braid up. Do this along the base of the braid. I hope this helps to loosen it a bit without disturbing the pattern or style.

I'm trying to do the "loose twist" style variation on my hair. I hope it looks good and lasts at least a week. It's definitely a different look than my normal twists.

NappyNelle, sorry for being AWOL from posting... I've been lurking the thread and I've been hanging in there faithfully with my twists for about nine months now, I just have not been updating often. I've only worn buns a few times in that time span.

Really all I'm doing is washing my hair, deep conditioning and then re-twisting my hair either weekly or biweekly... :drunk:

I will say I have been experimenting with a few different products and I try to curl or pin my twists in different ways and using a few hair toys -- but I have not been taking too many photos.

Here is my hair from one day this week. I'm experimenting with perm rods to curl (I usually use flexirods) and I this week I used all Oyin handmade products (Grand poo bar, honey hemp conditioner, hair dew, Greg juice, shine & define, whipped pudding, burnt sugar pomade) I like their products -- have not picked my staples yet, I am still evaluating -- I like Bee Mine and a bunch of other stuff too. :grin:

Bet you're sorry you asked me to update!! :lachen: Once I get started I don't stop!! Thanks again for keeping this challenge going. It's the only one I've kept up with. I kind of faded away from the castor oil challenge and the sulfur challenge - just sporadically using those products, not 3 - 4 times a week like I said I would. oh well... my hair's still doing ok....

Attachments

• Photo on 2012-05-16 at 10.42.jpg
    Photo on 2012-05-16 at 10.42.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 39
Hey! Sorry I've been MIA....I hate making posts or updates about my hair without pictures so I've just been lurking like a creeper lol. I just snapped a few pix of my hair right now...it's in semi-mini twists. (they really are mini but I'm only calling them semi mini because I've done them smaller before.) I think I've had this set in for maybe 3 weeks? I've lost track of time...but my hair's been doing really well. I'm happy :-)

Last edited:
So I got my LCL Beauty hairdrier and I am in LOOOVEEE! So far so good. I can't wait to get out of these braids so that I can DC. :lick:

^^Yay! You're going to have fun with it. (Only hair people get legitimately excited about new hair appliances and products. :lol:)

I think they look really good on you! What don't you like about them?

Tibbar I think I was concerned about the volume at my crown and how thin the ends look in comparison; I set the sections in two-strand bantu knots, so that should help them fall in a way I like. If not, I'll still wear buns and updos like I'm supposed to.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. :drunk:

Last edited:
Back