Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (4/1/2012 - 6/30/2012)

@NappyNelle, lovely bun :lick:!! I LOVE it! I cannot wait until mines gets that big. You don't rock yours with some big earrings? LOL. Fierce!

ETA: One thing I LOVE about high buns is that they sit on my head like a crown. I feel so regal in them:yep:

RegaLady Thanks! And yes, I agreeeeeee! I feel like a Queen wearing a crown with a high bun. You can see my whole face, so sometimes I get anxious and wear small studs so as not to bring more attention to myself. :giggle: I'm weird. I used to love huge earrings with a huge puff; but since I graduated from college, I haven't worn my big earrings as much.

NappyNelle Love your bun! How did you make it? Like pulled it into a puff then pinned the ends around? I looked up HH but she's on hiatus :sad: oh and I'm the exact same way with earrings! I'm a daily stud girl now.

Meanwhile...sigh...I have the patience of Job detangling these mini twists out.

NappyNelle Love your bun! How did you make it? Like pulled it into a puff then pinned the ends around? I looked up HH but she's on hiatus :sad: oh and I'm the exact same way with earrings! I'm a daily stud girl now.

Meanwhile...sigh...I have the patience of Job detangling these mini twists out.

-PYT

Thank you! I used a stocking to form a partial puff, then pinned the ends under. That way, there is much less tension, and a bigger bun! I wanted to avoid gel, so afterwards I used another stocking as a headband to smooth the flyway bits. From the back, it looks like a thick fan and a headband.

SO while the style had little tension, I still got a headache. I blame it on being sick anyway. I'm very prone to headaches and migraines, so I took my bun down in the middle of my date. Good thing, SO loves the loose hair and gave me a scalp massage on the train. :lol:

Checking in: I took my twists down. I was going to pre poo overnight but decided to just do big twists.

I am going to wear a twist out for a couple of days and then wash & dc.

Checking in: my twists have been in for 2.5 weeks. I am SO itching to take them out. I'll wear a twist-out on Friday (and maybe tomorrow as well :look:), then wash, DC and wear a braid out for a party on Saturday. I'll retwist for my next 3-week session on Saturday night or, more likely, Sunday.

Missed y'all while I was in braids....back in twists now. Will be cheering you guys own for the remainder of this session and looking forward to the next. Happy retaining!

Just got back from my Alaskan Cruise. I wanted to share some of the styles I used to keep up with my twist, braid, bun routine.

7212881914_68900cc3fc_m.jpg

7212886588_856b236f12_m.jpg

7212891536_e73706691a_m.jpg

7212889000_1214e1933b_m.jpg

I especially liked the braids because they fit nicely under my hat and still looked good when I removed the hat. It was cold and rainy with lots of temperature variations depending on where exactly I was. So I was constantly putting on and taking off layers, especially my hat and hood.

Last edited:
kinkycurlygurl I love the styles. I hope you enjoyed your time in and around Alaska!!

Today, I wore a plain banana clip tuck bun. It was my first time successfully using a banana clip, and it looked passable for a day inside and around my neighborhood. I didn't use a brush; I just smoothed with my hands and left the fly-away bits alone.

Last edited:
Sorry to keep spamming the thread with my updates, but I got the high bun I was looking for:

tumblr_m42rntG7eD1qcn8jso1_500.jpg

tumblr_m42s65QymI1qbjffw.jpg

(Sorry if I offend with my makeup-free face.)

I used Hairitage Hydration's Avocado Cloud and Peach Aloe Pomade on air dried hair. I didn't use any gel, and smoothed with my hands. :D
Gorgeous :yep:

@KinkyCurlygirl I love the styles. I hope you enjoyed your time in and around Alaska!!

Today, I wore a plain banana clip tuck bun. It was my first time successfully using a banana clip, and it looked passable for a day inside and around my neighborhood. I didn't use a brush; I just smoothed with my hands and left the fly-away bits alone.

Thanks, Alaska was wonderful! I'm definitely going back.

I'm itching right about now lol...it's time for these bad boys to come out. I think it's been 6 weeks since I've had in my twists. I've redone the edges a couple of times but I am ready to do a full wash and detangle. I'll be back with updates!

*I think I'll be doing small braids next*

I actually just straightened last week...

Would you like pics? I dont want to discourage anyone but I RARELY use heat. I only use it when I feel my hair is tangling after using twist and braids longer then 3 months.

My hair were in twist for 2 weeks and last weekend i re-twisted it. But I didn't wash it. I'm debating to wash it this weekend, but then I would want to do something new. Plus I am not sure if i have time. i haven't cheated or anything, just a silent challenger. lol

I actually just straightened last week...

Would you like pics? I dont want to discourage anyone but I RARELY use heat. I only use it when I feel my hair is tangling after using twist and braids longer then 3 months.

Successfulmiss Absolutely! :yep: Did your hair start to tangle at the roots, mid-shaft, or the ends? Any insight as to why that may be for our other participants that may be dealing with the same issue?

My hair were in twist for 2 weeks and last weekend i re-twisted it. But I didn't wash it. I'm debating to wash it this weekend, but then I would want to do something new. Plus I am not sure if i have time. i haven't cheated or anything, just a silent challenger. lol

ogmistress Even if you had cheated, we would welcome you back with open arms. I don't mind a silent challenger. Thanks for the update.

I'm itching right about now lol...it's time for these bad boys to come out. I think it's been 6 weeks since I've had in my twists. I've redone the edges a couple of times but I am ready to do a full wash and detangle. I'll be back with updates!

*I think I'll be doing small braids next*

MissAlinaRose O wow! That is much longer than I could go. Your hair is amazing.

Currenly in fat twists now and recently did a trim.

Asha97 Oooh... You've inspired me to make chunky twists this-go-round. I should deep condition and steam today so I can twist my hair up tomorrow. :yep:

I am so sorry it took so long to check in. I am retaining alot of growth by keeping my hair moisturized and bunning. I will post a picture on June 1st because I have decided to weave my hair up for 6 months.

took my week old twists out.

will wear my hair out to work tomorrow (well, out of twists, but pinned up)

and gonna shampoo bar and get my overnight dc on tomorrow afternoon/evening.

new twists will be in sometime saturday.

okay gals.......It's time for me to say thanks a bunch and goodbye. As of Saturday I'll be kinky weaved up hopefully for the summer. I had a great time and I'll be back once I take my weave out.

Good luck to you all!

Back