Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (4/1/2012 - 6/30/2012)

I'm grateful for this hair break mini twists have given me but I miss my hair now :look: I think I wanna do a semi-permanent rinse for summer

@faithVA cute style and those are some nice parts. I've been braiding my hair for a couple of years and STILL can't part. Another note...checking in, I've been kind of trif with my challenges:blush:.

Thanks MeowMix.

The trick that has helped me with my parts is to put the tip of the comb where I want my part to start and put my finger where I want my part to end, and to move the comb directly to the finger without picking it up or stopping, if that makes sense. If I do it in one motion then my part is straight. If I stop and start it wont work out.

hey ladies....just showing some pics of two twisted styles I did on the last month.

IMG_2857-Copy.jpg

hairstyle1.jpg

IMG_2872-Copy.jpg

IMG_2873-Copy.jpg

The twistout...
IMG_2880-Copy.jpg

Style#2
IMG_2584-Copy.jpg

IMG_2588-Copy.jpg

IMG_2580-Copy.jpg

The twistout.....
headedtochurch2.jpg

Headed to church so I threw in an accessory
headedtochurch.jpg

Last edited:
Hey ladies! I went away on 'staycation' for a few days with my SO, but I am back now. :) He surprised me with an overhead/salon dryer... so now I have no excuses for not installing twists within the challenge time frames. :lol: I should be washing and deep conditioning more often now that I won't have to wait soooo long for my hair to dry. Yay!

NappyNelle I use shea, coconut oil, hemp seed oil, EVOO, blackseed oil, sunflower oil, palm kernel oil, neem oil, sometimes ghee(stinks) and honey. But the first 3 are the best for me.

Hello ladies! Long time no check in for me. I've been bunning almost daily. I sleep with it in 2 "pocahontas" braids at night.

Checking in!

I'm in the process of twisting my hair (actually stretching it overnight) and will upload progress pics tomorrow evening!

Today, I used my steamer to apply a rinse to my hair. I am tired of having my random greys age me, so I decided to try something to camouflage them. Aftewards, I steamed with Giovanni Smooth as Silk with extra hemp seed oil. I don't know if I will break in my new dryer tonight, but I'm very excited to do so :lol:.

Actually, I plan on bunning this week, so I should just air dry as usual, but use a heavy cream to moisturize.

I am an official, tag along challenger because I have switched over to trying the curly girl method for the next 6 to 8 weeks. But for right now I am still keeping my hair twisted but taking it down more frequently to cowash it. But I want to hang out with you ladies.

Yesterday I wore my hair in two flat twists. I cowashed last night and put my hair up into small twists. Will wear these until the next cowash session.

So I bought some Aphogee two-minute just to try something new and a jazzing rinse. I can't wait til my wash day. Gonna put some medium chunky twists

Usually, when it's time to bun, I make a low bun to the side. I think I'll try a huge high bun tomorrow like these:

I guess I have to start off like I'm making a puff, then pin the loose hair around to form a column of some sort. :spinning: If it looks terrible, I'll experiment with a banana clip. If that also looks terrible, back to the low bun I'll go. :lol:

Is anyone else making high buns during this challenge? I've been seeing a lot of beautiful low and mid buns so far. :scratchch

Can I join? I know I'm SUPER late, so if not, I will unofficially join and cheer y'all on from the sidelines. :grin:

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists for 3 weeks at a time.
What is your style maintenance regimen? Every day and night I mist my twists with my aloe vera mix then I seal with shea-butter or coconut oil. At night, I would spritz my edges with water then slick them down with Aloe Vera gel then tie with a satin scarf.
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? transitioning
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I would like to minimize any breakage I could get while transitioning.
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days
Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). see attached

Attachments

• DSCN5661.jpg
    DSCN5661.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN5633.jpg
    DSCN5633.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN5412.jpg
    DSCN5412.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN5386.jpg
    DSCN5386.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN5505.jpg
    DSCN5505.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Usually, when it's time to bun, I make a low bun to the side. I think I'll try a huge high bun tomorrow like these:

I guess I have to start off like I'm making a puff, then pin the loose hair around to form a column of some sort. :spinning: If it looks terrible, I'll experiment with a banana clip. If that also looks terrible, back to the low bun I'll go. :lol:

Is anyone else making high buns during this challenge? I've been seeing a lot of beautiful low and mid buns so far. :scratchch

I can't wait to see it NappyNelle. One of them may just be like making a ponytail but not pulling the hair all the way threw. I think.

Hey ladies! I went away on 'staycation' for a few days with my SO, but I am back now. :) He surprised me with an overhead/salon dryer... so now I have no excuses for not installing twists within the challenge time frames. :lol: I should be washing and deep conditioning more often now that I won't have to wait soooo long for my hair to dry. Yay!

NappyNelle Ooo what kind of salon dryer did you get? I just bought mines and it should be arriving soon. I had to look high and low to find one that was affordable and would do the trick.

I LOOOOOVEEE high buns!!! I am in braids now, but if I could wear them as my PS everyday I would. They flatter my face so well. RIght now I have box braids into a low bun. I baggy my bun and cover the bun with a scarf and wear it all day. Its a cute look for summer:grin:

Yay another high bun fan RegaLady! I think the high bun style flatters my face, too. My SO purchased a RED by Kiss Tourmaline 1875 Watt Turbo Salon Hair Dryer.

red%20hood.PNG

Product Description:
  • 1875 watt turbo salon bonnet dryer
  • Long lasting dual motors for faster drying
  • Tourmaline technology for smoother and healthy hair
  • Convinient 60 minute timer
  • 4 heat settings
  • 126 air vents for evenly distributed flow
  • Roomy hood size
  • Adjustable height
  • Built in storage for power cord and hair tools
  • Easy fold-up for compact storage
  • 2 year manufacturer warranty

I was very surprised and blessed by this gift. I can't wait to 'play' with it. :drunk: Which model did you finally decide on?

Welcome to the challenge MsDee14! It's definitely not too late. You have lovely starting photos as well.

Last edited:
I had these twists in for a little over 2 weeks now. I thought keeping them in for over 2 weeks would be a challenge, but it isn't.
A little water, shea-butter and a satin scarf keeps the frizz at bay and adding curls makes it look like a whole new style.

This challenge has made me lazy. I rarely comb my hair during the week. I just use some water and brush the sides and tie. I re twist the front and add some leave in and castor oil on the ends, then braid it up.

I love it

Yay another high bun fan @RegaLady! I think the high bun style flatters my face, too. My SO purchased a RED by Kiss Tourmaline 1875 Watt Turbo Salon Hair Dryer.

red%20hood.PNG

Product Description:
  • 1875 watt turbo salon bonnet dryer
  • Long lasting dual motors for faster drying
  • Tourmaline technology for smoother and healthy hair
  • Convinient 60 minute timer
  • 4 heat settings
  • 126 air vents for evenly distributed flow
  • Roomy hood size
  • Adjustable height
  • Built in storage for power cord and hair tools
  • Easy fold-up for compact storage
  • 2 year manufacturer warranty
I was very surprised and blessed by this gift. I can't wait to 'play' with it. :drunk: Which model did you finally decide on?

Welcome to the challenge @MsDee14! It's definitely not too late. You have lovely starting photos as well.

Oh wow! I wanted this one too! I heard good reviews about it, but I wanted to leave the table top dryer even though my last one was very good to me. I wanted a roll around one and I settled for the LCL Pro 1028. I really wanted the PIbbs but I gotta save for that one:ohwell:.

SO was very good to you:yep:

RegaLady I was eyeing the LCL Pro since I love my steamer so much. I hope it works well for you. I never considered the Pibbs because I knew the price tag would make me gasp. :lol: I love my hair, but that is like, 3 years worth of my natural hair products! :lol:

Sorry to keep spamming the thread with my updates, but I got the high bun I was looking for:

tumblr_m42rntG7eD1qcn8jso1_500.jpg

tumblr_m42s65QymI1qbjffw.jpg

(Sorry if I offend with my makeup-free face.)

I used Hairitage Hydration's Avocado Cloud and Peach Aloe Pomade on air dried hair. I didn't use any gel, and smoothed with my hands. :D

NappyNelle said:
Sorry to keep spamming the thread with my updates, but I got the high bun I was looking for:

I used Hairitage Hydration's Avocado Cloud and Peach Aloe Pomade on air dried hair. I didn't use any gel, and smoothed with my hands. :D

NappyNelle how did you airdry? In braids? Twists? Where can one purchase this pomade? Your hair is blinging!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using LHCF

tumblr_m42rntG7eD1qcn8jso1_500.jpg

tumblr_m42s65QymI1qbjffw.jpg

So fierce!!!! Love love love it!!....

Right now... I hate my hair.... everything about it.. in every state... Maybe it's the hormones.. lol... I just want to be BALD already....

NappyNelle how did you airdry? In braids? Twists? Where can one purchase this pomade? Your hair is blinging!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using LHCF

pookaloo83 After deep conditioning, on damp hair, I made eight braids with the Avocado Cloud. My hair was very soft and smelled great, but was a wee bit greasy; I'm sure it's because I'm heavy handed. The bling is definitely from the Cloud. Hairitage Hydrations is on Etsy. I really like everything I've tried from them, and the products are cheaper than the products I usually order. :lick:

So fierce!!!! Love love love it!!....

Right now... I hate my hair.... everything about it.. in every state... Maybe it's the hormones.. lol... I just want to be BALD already....

judy4all Thank you. I think it's the hormones because your hair is lovely girl!

Back