Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Style for church today....and possibly for the rest of the week.

photo-163.jpg

Rest of the pics which show the style better (in Everyday thread)
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17293765&postcount=5457

Last edited:
Okay so since I started this challenge I have not wore my hair down. I know that we are allowed to wear our hair down for at least two days a week but I haven't had the urge to do so. So today I took down my two corn row bun and loved the curls that I got from it. So instead of bunning and tucking all my ends I let some curly bangs hang and work a messy updo with my all my ends waving in the wind. lol I felt so naughty hahahaha. I forgot to take a pic but my hair felt so nice and strong. The only problem was my roots. If felt so dry and rough. How do some of you ladies moisturize under cornrows. I know it's new growth but I don't like dry roots. Any ideas? Right now I am DC with a moisturizing conditioner and getting ready to cowash.

pookaloo83 That's a cute messy bun. With taking your bun down every night and braiding, you don't think that's too much manipulation? Your hair doesn't mind? With mine, I'd think my ends wouldn't like that very much.

@pookaloo83 That's a cute messy bun. With taking your bun down every night and braiding, you don't think that's too much manipulation? Your hair doesn't mind? With mine, I'd think my ends wouldn't like that very much.

Froreal3 Oh Em Gee!!

When I tell you that my hair was a mess after I left my bun in for 2 days! I lost so much hair! I wanted to cry. This was a couple weeks ago. Tonight I was thinking about leaving the bun in and redoing the bun on Monday. So every other day manipulation. I'm new to bunning so I'm trying to figure out what works. Do you bun? What is your routine? And natural bunners I would like to hear advice!

Froreal3 Oh Em Gee!!

When I tell you that my hair was a mess after I left my bun in for 2 days! I lost so much hair! I wanted to cry. This was a couple weeks ago. Tonight I was thinking about leaving the bun in and redoing the bun on Monday. So every other day manipulation. I'm new to bunning so I'm trying to figure out what works. Do you bun? What is your routine? And natural bunners I would like to hear advice!

Girl I'm usually in twists. They are so easy...just keep em in for a couple weeks...spritzing and sealing ends between washes.

Just started bunning again recently. I have been leaving them in for two to three days. I didn't notice any hair loss. I tried baggying the bun yesterday over night. I don't like the way it made my hair feel. Seemed like the ends were more tangled. That is why I don't wet bun. Idk...I'm definitely not an OG bunner. I just know the less I touch my hair, the better.

But you brought up a good point about keeping the tension on too long. They aren't tight, but there is still some tension required, especially with these elastics. Hmmm...

Froreal3 Oh Em Gee!!

pookaloo83
I take my bun down daily too bc my hair gets dry and tangled as well. I also worry about the manipulation, but for one thing I like to unleash the beast and at the end of the day nothing feels better than releasing that band....that is neck and neck with taking off my bra when I get home lol. Maybe I can get two days out of it if I put extra moisturizer on it. Typically my routine is similar to yours...I moisturize and seal in four sections and put in four braids at night...then in the am I put it in a puff and make a bun.

@pookaloo83
I take my bun down daily too bc my hair gets dry and tangled as well. I also worry about the manipulation, but for one thing I like to unleash the beast and at the end of the day nothing feels better than releasing that band....that is neck and neck with taking off my bra when I get home lol. Maybe I can get two days out of it if I put extra moisturizer on it. Typically my routine is similar to yours...I moisturize and seal in four sections and put in four braids at night...then in the am I put it in a puff and make a bun.

The bolded cracked me up! :lachen:

Yep! I do the same thin! moisturize, seal, then put in 4 big plaits. :yep: I'm not losing any hair but shed hairs. No breakage or anything.

But I'm not new to manipulation. I don't really believe in it. :look: I just started getting like this (paranoid) within the past month or so. :lol: I wore braidouts and twistouts daily for the past 2 years. While rebraiding and twisting nightly.

Okay so since I started this challenge I have not wore my hair down. I know that we are allowed to wear our hair down for at least two days a week but I haven't had the urge to do so. So today I took down my two corn row bun and loved the curls that I got from it. So instead of bunning and tucking all my ends I let some curly bangs hang and work a messy updo with my all my ends waving in the wind. lol I felt so naughty hahahaha. I forgot to take a pic but my hair felt so nice and strong. The only problem was my roots. If felt so dry and rough. How do some of you ladies moisturize under cornrows. I know it's new growth but I don't like dry roots. Any ideas? Right now I am DC with a moisturizing conditioner and getting ready to cowash.

Hi Growingmyhairlong. Glad you enjoyed your freedom:) I usually wear my hair in cornrows and when it gets dry I moisturize and seal.

Spritz with water and baggy for 15 mins
Apply leave-in conditioner
Follow up with a butter.

Apologies if this is rehashed information . Another thing is when I oil my scalp my roots are real supple. Hopefully, an expert will jump in here if this doesn't help.

pookaloo83 I take down my buns nightly to moisturize my hair. I'm not worried about manipulation because the way I see it, I could leave my bun in all week and have a nightmare to detangle when wash day comes, OR I can moisturize daily and keep my ends soft which makes them less likely to be tangled up. I cover my hair with my bonnet or my satin scarf and just re-bun in the morning. I don't braid it at night out of laziness. :look:

I took out my mini braids yesterday, and I had to go out, so I put my hair in a bun for today.

Attachments

• 11-17-12--Braidout Bun (2).jpg
    11-17-12--Braidout Bun (2).jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 11-17-12--Braidout Bun (3).jpg
    11-17-12--Braidout Bun (3).jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 11-17-12--Braidout Bun (6).jpg
    11-17-12--Braidout Bun (6).jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 31
Wore my hair in a braid out for the last two days, now i'll be in chunky braids under a beret til thanksgiving. Here's a few pictures from tonight, just 10-12 braids undone and fluffed.

photo24-1.jpg

photo33-1.jpg

photo41-1.jpg

Victoria44 said:
Wore my hair in a braid out for the last two days, now i'll be in chunky braids under a beret til thanksgiving. Here's a few pictures from tonight, just 10-12 braids undone and fluffed.

Whoa whoa whoa! All that hair!

Sent From My Pheauxne

pookaloo83 said:
Froreal3 Oh Em Gee!!

The longest I can go without rebunning is every other day. I need to M&S and redo or my ends will be dry.

Victoria44 said:

Gorgeousness!

pookaloo83 I take down my buns nightly to moisturize my hair. I'm not worried about manipulation because the way I see it, I could leave my bun in all week and have a nightmare to detangle when wash day comes, OR I can moisturize daily and keep my ends soft which makes them less likely to be tangled up. I cover my hair with my bonnet or my satin scarf and just re-bun in the morning. I don't braid it at night out of laziness. :look:

Before i knew anything about hair I used to wear my hair out in an afro/puffs all the time. I used to braid it nightly because i knew it'd be matyed in the morning. I knew nada about moisturizing/sealing/conditioning etc. So when i would braid my dry afro, i'd get little pieces everywhere. I now know that was breakage. I guess I am afraid of that situation.

This week I will try taking my bun down when i get home...unleash the beast just like with a wig....and see how my hair responds. I will m&S the ends when i braid.

Victoria44 Your braid out is cute. I need to invest in some beenies/berets so I can wear some Celies underneath.

I wore a bun for most of last week. I put twists back in my hair, kind of chunky this time. I will probably curl the ends on flexirods during the week. I am planning to try to add more moisture to my ends because they seem kind of dry and crunchy. I must confess I have not been doing that much with my hair lately. I will hopefully get back on top of things after Thanksgiving... sigh... it all seems like so much work lately... :nono: :ohwell: :perplexed :sad:

P1020857.JPG

P1020862.JPG

Tibbar - those twists certainly do look nice. I've been trying to figure out how to get nice bigger twists. My fine hair makes for skinny looking twists :sad:

Bunning for the next few days and 2 flat twists one the side. I'll try and take a decent pic & post tomorrow.

@Tibbar Those twists are the business! did you blow dry before you twisted?

Thanks for the compliment. :yep:
No, I didn't blow dry, I air dried in four large braids. I actually haven't used my blow dryer in over 2 years! I washed and conditioned with BeeMine products, I also used JBCO hair food pomade. When my hair was completely dry I twisted. My prior set of twists looked pretty dry the whole time I had them in. :ohwell: I kept trying to "fix" them, I ended up taking them out and bunning for a week.

@Tibbar - those twists certainly do look nice. I've been trying to figure out how to get nice bigger twists. My fine hair makes for skinny looking twists :sad:

Bunning for the next few days and 2 flat twists one the side. I'll try and take a decent pic & post tomorrow.

Thanks for saying my twists look nice!
I'll look forward to seeing your flat twist pictures, I can't seem to master them. With your 2 strand twists does it make a difference if you do them wet or dry? I'm not really sure which way makes them bigger, but I think there is a difference. I don't usually do mine wet just because it takes me so long just to wash and condition it. I'm usually worn out by the time I finish and just twist it the next day when it's dry.

I wash my hair in braided sections, but it still fights back.:catfight:

Back