Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

I finished my twists about 1am. I moisturized them and they shrank up, not that I care. Here are a couple pics.

minitwist-back.jpg

minitwist-side.jpg

I'll take more pics later. These took 2 days to complete. I did take breaks and handle my mom & wife duties in between. I like these a lot. Don't know how long I will keep them. We will find out together!!!

I finished my twists about 1am. I moisturized them and they shrank up, not that I care. Here are a couple pics.

minitwist-back.jpg

minitwist-side.jpg

I'll take more pics later. These took 2 days to complete. I did take breaks and handle my mom & wife duties in between. I like these a lot. Don't know how long I will keep them. We will find out together!!!

I like! Your color looks really nice throughout them. :yep:

BraunSugar, just wow!!!!

Rocking a high bun for today and tomorow, I am glad that my buns start to look good without any sock added!:grin:

Attachments

• S1390008.jpg
    S1390008.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 46
I am kinda nervous.

I am in need of a thorough trim. The last professional trim I had was November 2011 and my self trims don't appear to be very effective anymore. So I made an appointment at a white salon. I am new to this city so I just scheduled with the closest salon that had the best reviews on yelp.com lol.

I am super nervous so I am thinking about washing and flat ironing my hair myself and having her just trim it. I hate flat ironing my hair and i'm not great at it either... but I am afraid that the stylist won't know how to properly straighten my hair without being rough with it.

I'm trying to watch youtube videos but if anyone has any flat ironing tips or experiences with white salons please share!

BraunSugar said:

Oooooooooooo. Very nice!

Hey everybody! Ive been out of town for a week taking a certification class for work, which consisted of class all day, study, repeat--exam was today and I passed! Glad its over!
Ive missed you ladies and had a little bit of withdrawel lol! Off to skim the eye candy filled pics! I thought I would end up cheating and wearing my hair out all week since I was dressed up (dressed up= not scrubs for me lol)...but I did fine...wore a bantu knot out the first 2 days and the rest of the week I wore it in a bun or updo. Im proud of myself bc I totally ended up having to wing it since I decided to take my twists down the day before I left and had no clue what to do with it.

I've had my hair in smallish twists for the past two weeks. I haven't posted any pics because they were nothing to write home about. I wore a twist out for approximately 4 hours to a baby shower yesterday after work. It was cute. I braided up the twist out for bed. I will detangle and wash and DC my hair today. I'm not sure what style I will put it in. I don't like my buns. They look too anorexic. lol Twists are my staple right now, but I need more updo style inspirations.

I'm going to attempt to wash my twists next weekend, and I really hope it's not a disaster. The plan is to put them in braids, and band the ends to make sure i get as little unraveling as possible. I'll take the braids out when my hair is almost dry, and wrap them for stretch. I'm combining Afrostory, and Naptural85's methods.

I've had my hair in smallish twists for the past two weeks. I haven't posted any pics because they were nothing to write home about. I wore a twist out for approximately 4 hours to a baby shower yesterday after work. It was cute. I braided up the twist out for bed. I will detangle and wash and DC my hair today. I'm not sure what style I will put it in. I don't like my buns. They look too anorexic. lol Twists are my staple right now, but I need more updo style inspirations.

Froreal3 Thank you for the compliment!

For your buns, have you considered converting a puff into a bun? I didn't start wearing buns until a couple months ago because I have a hard time getting my hair into a ponytail. (My hair needs to be soaking wet, the shower head has to be positioned a certain way... It's tedious and Idk why :lol:) Anyway, I decided to convert a puff into a bun and it gave me a very full looking bun. The end result is like this:

jumbo-bun.jpg

It might work for you.

Hi everybody. There are SO many gorgeous photos in this thread. Thank you for inspiring.

Like Poohbear. I used that video for inspiration for this weeks style. I say inspiration because my skills are still growing. Poohbear you did a fantastic job on that style.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17113937&postcount=684

Ok, here is Poohbear's.

Here's what I ended up with. It's a first attempt. One thing I like about this style is how it feels on my head. :weird: I need to keep practicing braiding forward so I will try this again.

twistweek3.jpg

Hey BraunSugar. If I can get my skills like yours in a year, I'll be like :yay:. Your hair and photog skills are on point:)

BraunSugar I have, but I didn't like the way it came out. Also, the elastic band kept going up my head.:ohwell: I'm actually thinking about trying a cinnabun after my hair dries.

So I dced with this ORS HaiRepair and I liked the way my hair felt after rinsing. I didn't use a moisturizing DC afterward (experimenting) even though it has hydrolized collagen in the first five or six ingredients. I simply put my leave in (Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine), EVOO, and a bit of moisturizer on top (Elasta QP Mango Butter).

I'm going to see if this helps with the bit of breakage I've been seeing. I think I'm a slow grower...though I've never measured monthly.

@Froreal3 Thank you for the compliment!

For your buns, have you considered converting a puff into a bun? I didn't start wearing buns until a couple months ago because I have a hard time getting my hair into a ponytail. (My hair needs to be soaking wet, the shower head has to be positioned a certain way... It's tedious and Idk why :lol:) Anyway, I decided to convert a puff into a bun and it gave me a very full looking bun. The end result is like this:

jumbo-bun.jpg

It might work for you.
Love this bun. This is so beautiful.

Harvest fest at church tonight. Just my baby bun and a bow!

View attachment 174335

View attachment 174337

Love the poodle skirt. Did you make it yourself?

So this was my hair for the day. I couldn't get cornrowing down so I just did some jumbo braids and tried this out. I never tried a frohawk before so it's a bit sloppy and I took the easy way out and used hairbands.

Attachments

• IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 32
I think the cinnabun came out decent. Will wear it for a week. Excuse the sideways pics.

View attachment 174357

View attachment 174359

View attachment 174361

View attachment 174363

Love the poodle skirt. Did you make it yourself?

So this was my hair for the day. I couldn't get cornrowing down so I just did some jumbo braids and tried this out. I never tried a frohawk before so it's a bit sloppy and I took the easy way out and used hairbands.

Just slaying me with the snaps. Ok, y'all I'm thinking about buns. Fhrizzball, I like how you got creative.

Back