~*Thicker Hair Challenge 2010*~

I was more afraid of split ends than anything else.

Why would you get split ends from co-washing?
I actually think you'd be more likely to get splits from shampoo, because it doesn't moisturize or nourish the way that a conditioner would.

I personally have issues with cowashing...I have an oily scalp, and no matter how much I scrub, without shampoo, my scalp is still itchy and greasy. I think it's because I only wash once a week, and co-washing is something that is best done when hair is already on the clean side. And I hate how conditioner feels on my scalp...it's for hair, not for the scalp. But I did like how cowashing made my hair feel and look.

Now I CWC, which stands for Condition-Wash-Condition. It lets my hair reap all the benefits of co-washing, but my scalp is left clean from the shampoo. I think it's the best of both worlds, and a great way to use up conditioners. Here are a couple of threads on it, if you want to give it a spin:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=168645
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=186855

Add me. I just found an interesting recipe for thickening hair. I'll post it shortly. Here is my starting pic.

Attachments

• 12-09(2).jpg
    12-09(2).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 12-09-.jpg
    12-09-.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 8
I may try this on dry hair

# Mix soaked fenugreek seeds (Dana methi), shikakai powder, reetha powder, amla powder, dried lemon or lime peels, and two eggs, and grind to make a paste. Massage this paste onto hair and scalp and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Wash with a mild shampoo. This is good for making hair thick.

Why would you get split ends from co-washing?
I actually think you'd be more likely to get splits from shampoo, because it doesn't moisturize or nourish the way that a conditioner would.

I personally have issues with cowashing...I have an oily scalp, and no matter how much I scrub, without shampoo, my scalp is still itchy and greasy. I think it's because I only wash once a week, and co-washing is something that is best done when hair is already on the clean side. And I hate how conditioner feels on my scalp...it's for hair, not for the scalp. But I did like how cowashing made my hair feel and look.

Now I CWC, which stands for Condition-Wash-Condition. It lets my hair reap all the benefits of co-washing, but my scalp is left clean from the shampoo. I think it's the best of both worlds, and a great way to use up conditioners. Here are a couple of threads on it, if you want to give it a spin:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=168645
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=186855

I do this on my full wash day.
I DC on dry hair, wash with poo, then use a cheaper quick rinse conditioner:lick:

Why is co-washing part of the requirements for this challenge? Does co-washing have thickening effects to the hair strands? Please explain. TIA

I do this on my full wash day.
I DC on dry hair, wash with poo, then use a cheaper quick rinse conditioner:lick:

That's interesting! I noticed that Kami11213 also DCs and then shampoos, but I don't understand why. You don't feel like you're washing out some of the DC's goodness?

^^^I dunno. I don't have a scientific answer, I just do it because I wash my hair in the shower and it's more convenient than having to get out of the shower after I've applied my DC... plus I prefer DCing on dry/damp hair... hopefully someone has an answer that has more rhyme or reason! =)

Scientific answer? Not sure if there is one other than it being more convenient for the reason you stated ^^^. For me DCing on dry hair = too much conditioner to use.

^^^'Scientific' meaning more than just "because it's convenient"...... poor word choice? Maybe lol but ya'll get what I mean!!

I don't know what other ppls reasons are for choosing the CWC method, I can only state mine.

Im finally getting this no heat thing! Today I washed my hair, roller set and sat under the dryer for about 15-20min. I air dryed for the rest of the night and I really liked how my hair came out. I didnt even have an urge to flat iron. Next well I will roller set my hair again and try to air dry the entire time.

Last edited:
^^^'Scientific' meaning more than just "because it's convenient"...... poor word choice? Maybe lol but ya'll get what I mean!!

I don't know what other ppls reasons are for choosing the CWC method, I can only state mine.

Girl, I knew what you meant. I just don't think there is sound reasoning for it, but I could be wrong.

When I sometimes deep condition on dry hair it is because the conditioner tends to weigh my hair down if I use it after shampooing. I still get the same effect...after shampooing I would use a light/detangling conditioner that I leave in for a few minutes in the shower (i.e. Paul Mitchell Extra Body Rinse, Nexxus Humectress, Kenra MS)

I need to start detangling my hair more. Its starting to dread and knot alot because I've been stretching for almost 6 months. I lost alot oh hair this morning due to dryness and breakage :(

Hi there,

I'm a Newbie to Natural Hair Care. I have only been caring for my hair for almost 2 months. I have had few set-backs already. My hair is very thin and I really need to find a way to thicken it up. I was a little embarrassed to post my photo's, but I figured I have to somewhere.

This is my 1st challenge ever and I'm looking forward to see if there will be a change.

I plan to keep my hair in protective styles such as twist or buns.
I will baby my ends.
Co-Wash weekly

If anyone has advice for me. I would love to hear it.

I will try to take better photos, this was all I had for now.

Attachments

• Various Pictures 23 002.jpg
    Various Pictures 23 002.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 16
  • jasmine and pixie 005.jpg
    jasmine and pixie 005.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 15
Ok, here are my starting photos, taken after letting my twists out. Have been natural for 16 months 9/08 was my big chop. I haven't used heat since January 09 when my hairdresser flatironed for an Inaugural Ball. I have only done wash n go...though now it's too cold. I suffer from fairy knots and mild split ends -- from my wash n go puffs. I do Bikram yoga 4-6 days a wk, so the wet hair is a constant challenge. Twists work best, but they are time consuming to do. I am VERY lazy when it comes to my hair. I've signed on to 4 challenges, so this should be interesting. I don't use a comb regularly..detangle w/water, fingers and Afro Detangler (tho I think the product was changed grrrr..am on my 2nd bottle, and the consistency, color and smell are different). Use only natural products on my hair...luv Afroveda. Used to use Kinky Kurly when hair was shorter. Was intro'd to Indian hair powders on this site..purchased and they sat in my cabinet for months. I am such a PJ. Found a youtube vid for an overnight Alma DC and am in luv. It leaves my hair sooo soft and stretches the curl. After washing, goes back into twists. I think my hair is healthy, but I do have a crown issue...for some reason it isn't growing as fast as the rest of my hair..VERY frustrating, but I think the powders have helped. I measure my hair health by the size of my hair pile after washing/detangling/twisting...so far so good. Or I am fooling myself..lol. Maybe I'll post a pic of one and ya'll can tell me. I wash with the powders or a carrot soap bar. I oil with Alma'ayurvedic combo, along w/carrot, tea tree, grape seed, shea butter, all randomly and all infrequesntly, sigh..so the castor oil challenge will help me, as will the baggy challenge and these split ends. So that's my hairstory. BTW, can any one tell me where to purchase Aubrey Organics. Can't find it in a store only online. Is that the only place. Off to wash out my Indian powders...will post the wet head if there's something interesting.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 12
  • pic 5.jpg
    pic 5.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 9
That's interesting! I noticed that Kami11213 also DCs and then shampoos, but I don't understand why. You don't feel like you're washing out some of the DC's goodness?

No LOL, well not for me.
Sometimes when I wash then DC its feels like that hair doesnt take all of it in cause my hair is already wet, so thats why I do it on dry hair.

I need to start detangling my hair more. Its starting to dread and knot alot because I've been stretching for almost 6 months. I lost alot oh hair this morning due to dryness and breakage :(

Aww... I'm 25 weeks post so I can understand the issue... if I don't detangle my hair will be matted up something serious and I get some dread-like tangles. Washing and detangling in sections REALLY REALLY helps me... when I started doing everything in sections, that was the turning point of my stretch for the better. :yep:

^^^I dunno. I don't have a scientific answer, I just do it because I wash my hair in the shower and it's more convenient than having to get out of the shower after I've applied my DC... plus I prefer DCing on dry/damp hair... hopefully someone has an answer that has more rhyme or reason! =)

I do it for this reason also. Only have to jump in the shower once:yep:.

When I sometimes deep condition on dry hair it is because the conditioner tends to weigh my hair down if I use it after shampooing. I still get the same effect...after shampooing I would use a light/detangling conditioner that I leave in for a few minutes in the shower (i.e. Paul Mitchell Extra Body Rinse, Nexxus Humectress, Kenra MS)

I have the same issue, I have very fine hair.....

A touch late...but here is my starting pic - classic fine haired spacey scalp!!!

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 22
For those that moisturize and seal daily--> Are you doing so even when your hair still feels moisturizes from the last application?

I'm just trying to figure out if I should be doing this as well or just go with the feel of my hair(ends).

^^^My hair always feels dry since the winter season. But if I do notice my hair doesnt need moisture, I add some coconut oil to my hair.

yes!!!!! I dont moisturize too much though...just enough so that my hair is happy.

For those that moisturize and seal daily--> Are you doing so even when your hair still feels moisturizes from the last application?

I'm just trying to figure out if I should be doing this as well or just go with the feel of my hair(ends).

I did a henna treatment on Monday and a tea rinse, it came out well.
I DCed with CON purple and cocnut oil and washed with CON green.

I have my hair in 4 cornrows will leave like this until nxt Tuesday and then redo, the braids are hidden by Bali Girl.

I cowashed on saturday with V05 moisture milks. I don't think it did much for my hair, it didn't have much slip. Next time i'll try using my HE hello hydration.

Back