~*Thicker Hair Challenge 2009*~

This is a must.

You must drink 14 gms of gelatin in water or juice - daily. I'm on a 4-month gelatin challenge and I expect to have 3 times as much hair. My hair is already showing signs of thickness. I can't believe that more people are not on to this. I've been doing this for 3 weeks now and i am committed to taking this in addition to my Waistlength Cocktail, which also has helped my hair thicken IMMENSELY.

I'm super-excited about reaching my hair goals.

Can you buy it a your local grocery store? Does it have a taste to it? Do you drink it 1 time daily?

I actually purchase Kroger Brand, 32 pack box, of individual 1/4 oz = 7 gms gelatin, i'm taking two packs daily. It was $7. Walmart does not carry large quantities, to my surprise.

Can you buy it a your local grocery store? Does it have a taste to it? Do you drink it 1 time daily?

I am not joining officially but I wanted to come in and cheer you ladies on and watch for your improvements:grin:.

I actually purchase Kroger Brand, 32 pack box, of individual 1/4 oz = 7 gms gelatin, i'm taking two packs daily. It was $7. Walmart does not carry large quantities, to my surprise.

BBB can you show me what the box of this gelatin looks like? Can you post it up for me please?

Hey ya'll on vacation but couldn't stay away too long. I had a quick weave on for about a week and a half and hated it, I'm waiting til I get back home on Mon. to resume my care. My hair really needs it. I am experiencing good length retention but I am not noticing any thickness, so I will be focusing on that when I get back. And I have just decided to texlax my hair, wanted to go natural all the way but just can't do it. But I will try and stretch for a good 14-20 wks. I have been hearing good feedback on Shikakai and JBCO so will be ordering those today as well as Bentonite Clay.

I haven't checked in for quite a while, but I must say that my hair has gotten a lot thicker since joining LHCF in December. Some of the things that have definitely helped:

*stretching (previously was relaxing every 4-5 weeks)
*no longer relaxing bone straight
*making sure relaxer only gets on the new growth
*taking biotin, omega 3 fish oil, and prenatals
*co-washing several times a week
*rarely using direct heat
*whole head baggying a couple times a week
*DCing underneath the steamer
*showing my ends extra affection

My hair has really been thriving since finding this board. :yep:

Hey guys back from vaca...3x darker might I add:grin: I wanted to quickly update on the two vitamins that I have added to my diet a/b 3 wks ago. Which is Gelatin 650mg and MSM 1,000mg. And my hair has gotten noticeably thicker and new growth softer. Yippee skippee....Now the bad thing about taking things together is that I don't know what to give credit too:rolleyes: Any way I will continue to see what happens and keep you guys updated.

Also washed yesterday w/ Giovanni Tea Tree, co rinsed with V05, dc/ with Lekair 30min w/heat, leave-in'ed with Giovanni Leave In, moistured with Elasta QP Mango and sealed with combo. Castor, Evoo, Jojoba+ Amla.

next wash in 2 days will be a cowash and I will attempt the ACV rinse for the 1st time.

Hey guys back from vaca...3x darker might I add:grin: I wanted to quickly update on the two vitamins that I have added to my diet a/b 3 wks ago. Which is Gelatin 650mg and MSM 1,000mg. And my hair has gotten noticeably thicker and new growth softer. Yippee skippee....Now the bad thing about taking things together is that I don't know what to give credit too:rolleyes: Any way I will continue to see what happens and keep you guys updated.

Also washed yesterday w/ Giovanni Tea Tree, co rinsed with V05, dc/ with Lekair 30min w/heat, leave-in'ed with Giovanni Leave In, moistured with Elasta QP Mango and sealed with combo. Castor, Evoo, Jojoba+ Amla.

next wash in 2 days will be a cowash and I will attempt the ACV rinse for the 1st time.

I just started taking gelatin tabs too and I take this one http://www.vitacost.com/Thompson-Hydrolyzed-Gelatin. It has 2000mg of gelatin per serving. I'm testing it out to see how it will work on thickening my hair.

You know BBB, I finally tracked down these gelatin you speak of here and when I checked the box, I didn't see where there is 7 grams of gelatin on the box. I only saw 7 grams of protein per serving, I'm wondering if I got the right one:perplexed. The one I have is an orange and white box with the word GELATIN written in blue. Mine is unflavored gelatin as well.

I did however find and bought these http://www.vitacost.com/Thompson-Hydrolyzed-Gelatin on vitacost.com and it has 2000mg of gelatin and 2g of protein and collagen per serving. I have a thing for collagen in products:grin:.

Hello ladies...

I am just checking in :grin:

I have been taking Solgar Gelatin Capsules since the begining of this thread...(dunno how long exactly)

• much darker
  • the strands look thicker
  • Less shedding
This definitely a keeper

:spinning:Aggie, you are correct, 7 gms of protein per packet. You chose the right one.:yep:

From what i read, it is required to have 14 gms of gelatin daily to note thicker hair. Well, I think the 14 gms come in the form of protein. So, i try to take 2 packets daily.

You know BBB, I finally tracked down these gelatin you speak of here and when I checked the box, I didn't see where there is 7 grams of gelatin on the box. I only saw 7 grams of protein per serving, I'm wondering if I got the right one:perplexed. The one I have is an orange and white box with the word GELATIN written in blue. Mine is unflavored gelatin as well.

I did however find and bought these http://www.vitacost.com/Thompson-Hydrolyzed-Gelatin on vitacost.com and it has 2000mg of gelatin and 2g of protein and collagen per serving. I have a thing for collagen in products:grin:.

Last edited:
Hello ladies...

I am just checking in :grin:

I have been taking Solgar Gelatin Capsules since the begining of this thread...(dunno how long exactly)

• much darker
  • the strands look thicker
  • Less shedding
This definitely a keeper

Where do you get your Solgar Gelatin capsules from Nicole? TIA.

:spinning:Aggie, you are correct, 7 gms of protein per packet. You chose the right one.:yep:

From what i read, it is required to have 14 gms of gelatin daily to note thicker hair. Well, I think the 14 gms come in the form of protein. So, i try to take 2 packets daily.

Thanks honey. I haven't tried them yet but I will soon.

Ladies, how are you all? I haven't posted in a while because I've been really trying to do some soul searching. I have finally made a decision to go all natural but this is my dilemma now. I have been caring for my hair now for 5 months..."with the help of all of you of course". I have about 4.5 in new grow and the rest is permed hair, which happens to be appx. 3" away from BSB. This is my question...do I have to do a big chop in order to maintain proper hair care regimen or can I continue to grow out my hair to WL (my goal) with the permed hair still attached. It's a lot of hair ya'll so I'm really torn.
Please help!:spinning:

Ladies, how are you all? I haven't posted in a while because I've been really trying to do some soul searching. I have finally made a decision to go all natural but this is my dilemma now. I have been caring for my hair now for 5 months..."with the help of all of you of course". I have about 4.5 in new grow and the rest is permed hair, which happens to be appx. 3" away from BSB. This is my question...do I have to do a big chop in order to maintain proper hair care regimen or can I continue to grow out my hair to WL (my goal) with the permed hair still attached. It's a lot of hair ya'll so I'm really torn.
Please help!:spinning:

I'm at similar crossroads as you eocceas. I am also transitioning (to Texlaxed hair) and I have about the same amount of new growth as you do and about 4-5 inches of relaxed ends. When I started out in January (my last relaxer), I had my stylist cut off 3" and again in May, she cut off an additional 4". I was at BSL when I decided to transition and now I am back to shoulder length. The distance between my neck and BSL is pretty long so it takes me longer to grow my hair to that length than you I think.

I recommend doing what you can actually handle. Some ladies like Prospurr for example, kept her relaxed ends until she reached a certain point with her transitioned texlaxed hair. She did cut it a tiny bit at a time because for her it was better and she also did not want to have too much of her hair off her head at one time. She did bun her hair as a protective style to retain her length.

I was cutting off big chunks of hair at a time because for me, this was better. I think you may want to consider doing it the way Prospurr did hers or better yet, check out her fotki to see what her regimen is. It just may be the right fit for you.

I have plans to texlax my hair again after I have about maybe 7 or 8 inches of natural hair on my head. In the mean time, I will continue to have the straight relaxed ends cut off. Henna, fortunately, is keeping my new growth hairs a little bit manageable.

BBB, I decided to continue my gelatin and collagen supplements and add the kroger gelatin to my shampoos and conditioners as I use them. What I do is dissolve a packet of kroger gelatin in a half cup of hot water, allow to cool and add it my shampoo/conditioner and pour the mixture in my hair. I leave the poo on my head for about two minutes, wash out and repeat this step with the conditioner but I DC with it for about 30-45 minutes with heat. I'll do this for a while and see how it will affect my new growth.

My final rinse normally consist of flat beer mixed with jojoba oil and rinsed out slightly with cool water.

BBB, I decided to continue my gelatin and collagen supplements and add the kroger gelatin to my shampoos and conditioners as I use them. What I do is dissolve a packet of kroger gelatin in a half cup of hot water, allow to cool and add it my shampoo/conditioner and pour the mixture in my hair. I leave the poo on my head for about two minutes, wash out and repeat this step with the conditioner but I DC with it for about 30-45 minutes with heat. I'll do this for a while and see how it will affect my new growth.

My final rinse normally consist of flat beer mixed with jojoba oil and rinsed out slightly with cool water.
thanks for sharing this Aggie! Do you mind posting a pic of how the kroger gelatin looks?
tia,
tishee
ETA: Aggie is this in a box like knox gelatin or a bottle?

Last edited:
thanks for sharing this Aggie! Do you mind posting a pic of how the kroger gelatin looks?
tia,
tishee
ETA: Aggie is this in a box like knox gelatin or a bottle?

I don't have a picture of it yet. I thought I had already added it to my fotki, but apparently I haven't taken any pics of it yet. It is in a box like Knox gelatin but the one I have and use is plain unflavored gelatin and comes in an orange and white box with the Kroger brand on it. I bought mine from a Baker's Super Store in Nebraska.

This might be a bit of dumb question ,but there's no way to make strands thicker, right? Just the density of your hair overall?

This might be a bit of dumb question ,but there's no way to make strands thicker, right? Just the density of your hair overall?

You can make the strands temporarily thicker because some substances actually "stick" to the hair. Panthenol, some proteins, and henna all actually make hair "thicker" because they fill in spaces...at least until they're washed out.

You can make the strands temporarily thicker because some substances actually "stick" to the hair. Panthenol, some proteins, and henna all actually make hair "thicker" because they fill in spaces...at least until they're washed out.

Thanks. One more question, when you say that after you wash out the substances that stick to your hair. With henna, won't the substances last through multiple washes or is that what you originally meant.

Thanks. One more question, when you say that after you wash out the substances that stick to your hair. With henna, won't the substances last through multiple washes or is that what you originally meant.

It depends on the actual ingredient. Henna lasts through multiple washes, especially if you kind of "build it up" at first by doing it often and then tapering back.

Some proteins, like hardcore aphogee for example, last through more than one wash. I'm pretty sure panthenol (aka pro vitamin b5) is only temporary and lasts for only one wash, but don't quote me on that.

How do I make my hair have more density? I have low density, my strands are actually thick, I just don't have that many. If anyone knows a supplement, or anything I would be grateful for a suggestion.

Back