~*Thicker Hair Challenge 2009*~

^SelfStyled, I used gelatin for a while...and it seems to work really quickly. I

simply used Knox gelatin in water, drank it at night...i can't get passed the gelatinous globs. It sticks to my teeth and my palate and it's not very pleasant. I bought so much of this stuff, i need to take it, because I believe it works.

How do I make my hair have more density? I have low density, my strands are actually thick, I just don't have that many. If anyone knows a supplement, or anything I would be grateful for a suggestion.

Well the thing is, you can't create more follicles where there are none. So you can't really increase your density.

But, you can 'revive' dormant follicles that aren't producing hair with the right supplements - that's my take on it...there are products designed to do this, such as viviscal, nioxin, shen min, to name a few...i think that's the theory behind megatek, as well - but i may be wrong about that.

you can also extend the lifespan of your hair, keeping more hair on your head at a given time, resulting in thicker hair...coffee and tea rinses come to mind.

excuse me, but i'm just thinking out loud right now as i conceive a plan of action to multiply my own hair...

But, you can 'revive' dormant follicles that aren't producing hair with the right supplements - that's my take on it...there are products designed to do this, such as viviscal, nioxin, shen min, to name a few...i think that's the theory behind megatek, as well - but i may be wrong about that.

you can also extend the lifespan of your hair, keeping more hair on your head at a given time, resulting in thicker hair...coffee and tea rinses come to mind.

excuse me, but i'm just thinking out loud right now as i conceive a plan of action to multiply my own hair...

I agree with you. I think I was just looking at it from the stance that there is a limit to the number of strands/follicles you have on your head.

But if all of those follicles aren't working...or if your strands are breaking off, then that definitely affects the thickness of your hair. I don't know what supplements can revive dormant follicles though, that's something I should look into.

I know in my own case, I just purchased some emu oil because it's supposed to help heal damaged follicles and get them back producing hair again...and I believe some of my follicles are damaged in a certain area (I get scalp soreness and itchiness there that can't be explained by anything else).

Will you post your findings on emu oil? If you come across anything else, please share.

Here's the thread that started me on searching it out...
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=79415

I've been trying to find the original full report but haven't yet. But there's lots of different things online about it. The main thing I've taken away from it is that it can wake up those follicles that have been dormant so that they start growing again (not that it gives you extra hair growth)...and that sounds great to me. It's supposed to heal the scalp as well...which is important to me because soreness/itchiness is definitely a sign of something that needs healing.

The only thing I would be careful of is that it's supposed to be able to carry other things down into the scalp...which could be good and bad.

Yep, I've read about that. hmmm, do you have a supplier - oooh, that sounds so underground...let me know who you buy from, okay? i saw it on ebay and it looked kinda seedy. The costs are ridiculous! I'd like to purchase from someone reputable...if you go with someone online, can you share the info? I looked into this about a year ago, and then just stalled...too much going on.

Yep, I've read about that. hmmm, do you have a supplier - oooh, that sounds so underground...let me know who you buy from, okay? i saw it on ebay and it looked kinda seedy. The costs are ridiculous! I'd like to purchase from someone reputable...if you go with someone online, can you share the info? I looked into this about a year ago, and then just stalled...too much going on.

:lachen: at supplier.

Well I just ordered some from Amazon. The company that actually makes it is called Laid in Montana...they're a farm in Montana. Choosing them was kind of arbitrary...I went to their website and the website was well done, the emu oil is AEA certified, and I called their phone number (after business hours) and it seems like they can be easily contacted. I ended up buying their product from amazon because it was 10% off.

The oil is very expensive, which is why I got the 2oz size to try it out and I'll see how it works. If it can help me get rid of my scalp issues (and maybe help my acne out too) I'll be happy and order it from Laid in Montana directly. I'll let you know how it goes:yep:.

Sounds good, MSA...now, what'da you guys think about Ultra Thick Hair Shake and Carrot Juice as hair thickeners? (not together, independtly - heck, i'm sleepy)

Did ya notice all the threads I've bumped? I'm on a mission, y'all...we can do this.
Thick hair come to us - NOW!!!

Yes! Thank you for explaining it better than I could.....that is EXACTLY what I was trying to say is that I think some of my follicles are sleepy:lachen:

Off to research viviscal and nioxin. Keep on thinking out loud:yep:.

I agree with you. I think I was just looking at it from the stance that there is a limit to the number of strands/follicles you have on your head.

But if all of those follicles aren't working...or if your strands are breaking off, then that definitely affects the thickness of your hair. I don't know what supplements can revive dormant follicles though, that's something I should look into.

I know in my own case, I just purchased some emu oil because it's supposed to help heal damaged follicles and get them back producing hair again...and I believe some of my follicles are damaged in a certain area (I get scalp soreness and itchiness there that can't be explained by anything else).

I swear we are so in sync on this board....I just started using Emu oil this week. I mix it with castor oil. I came across an article that made me really think that this Emu oil just might be my solution. I was undecided between Emu or an Indian oil blend, but decided on the Emu.

This is what I had found.....
Michael Hollick, MD, Ph.D., Professor of Medicine, Physiology, and Dermatology at Boston University School of Medicine conducted a study involving emu oil and hair growth. His study found that there was a 20% increase in growth activity of skin that received emu oil, compared to skin that received corn oil. Looking at the hair follicles, Dr. Hollick realized they were much more robust, the skin thickness was remarkably increased, suggesting that emu oil stimulated skin growth and hair growth. Additionally, the study showed that over 80% of hair follicles that had been "asleep" were woken up, and began growing. This is what emu oil may do for you!

I would like a double prong approach for thicker hair. I have my topical in the Emu oil, but would also like to add some supplements that can wake up the follicles as well.

Checking in- I have added collagen to my regimen and only comb 2 times per month. I have had a setback though due to low HB and weight loss and the stress of having surgery in August. Hoping to be back to how it was by Dec and thicker by spring 2010

Well the thing is, you can't create more follicles where there are none. So you can't really increase your density.

I agree with both of you on this topic. I wanted to add that the Nioxin products are a good place to start as well - vitamins and all which I just started taking this week.

I bought the 90 count bottle from amazon.com with free shipping and the price of it was pretty good compared to other sites.

I will be using actual caffeine powder in my poos and see where that gets me. I'll report my findings with that one when I have a marked improvement if any:grin:.

Darn it I need to take these braids down:sad:!

Checking in- I have added collagen to my regimen and only comb 2 times per month. I have had a setback though due to low HB and weight loss and the stress of having surgery in August. Hoping to be back to how it was by Dec and thicker by spring 2010

Glad to hear that you are okay now and is back ton your regimen evsbaby.

Hey Sis! Been missing you...wondered how long it would take you to get in here...caffeine powder, huh?

What'dda y'all think of this...

Longhairlovers Luxe
Rare Hair Oil

Luxuriate in the finest all-natural ingredients ever assembled for your hair:
Organic "Live" Olive Oil Imported from Italy
This remarkable oil (the most expensive on the market today) comes from rare olives that grow at exceptionally high altitudes in the Tuscan mountains. The fruits are harvested by hand and cold pressed using a unique "Live Oil" method that keeps the antioxidant polyphenol content remarkably high.

This high concentration of antioxidants destroys free radicals (caused by tobacco smoke, alcohol, stress, lack of sleep and pollution) that can damage scalp cell membranes and lead to scalp problems, hair loss and slow growth. When massaged into the scalp, the polyphenols help promote a healthier scalp, faster hair growth and greater hair thickness.
Patent-Pending Triple Refined Emu Oil & Essential Oil Blend
This highest-grade emu oil easily penetrates the scalp taking our hair growth-promoting essential oil blend directly to the hair's root. This is because emu oil is a completely neutral lipid that is not blocked by the human skin's natural defense system.

Once at the root, Emu Oil acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory that stimulates the hair's natural growing ability. Our essential oil combination has been scientifically shown to promote hair growth in test subjects. We use the highest grades essential oils available (some topping $70 an ounce) of organic Thyme Linalol, Rosemary Verbenone, High-Altitude French Lavender and Virginianna Cedarwood.

Organic Saffron imported from Spain
The world's most expensive spice has been used for ages to stimulate hair growth and to give hair an immediate, radiant sheen.

Organic Neroli imported from Tunisia
The very finest Neroli (at $270 an ounce), one of the most coveted and expensive essential oils available, stimulates cell growth and soothes sensitive scalps while imparting a delicate orange blossom scent.

Natural Vitamin E
The highest grade all-natural tocopherol to preserve the product without added chemicals.

"Longhairlovers Rare Hair Oil promises unprecedented growth and conditioning. The at-home hair treatment is made out of the finest, not to mention most expensive all-natural ingredients. If your hair is thinning or dry, this offbeat beauty goody will stimulate cell growth, soothe sensitive scalps and provide radiant sheen. It'll set you back $400 for a 4 oz. bottle at Longhairlovers.com, but it's worth it. This product delivers on its promises.
--iVillage.com Stuff We Love: Offbeat Beauty

Learn more about the ingredients we use. . .
Directions: Shake well before using.

• To stimulate hair growth: Use dropper to apply Rare Hair Oil directly to the scalp, then massage in and let penetrate overnight before washing out.
  • To thicken and strengthen hair: Rub a dropper-full of Rare Hair Oil between your palms and work through hair's length and ends. Braid hair and leave in as long as you like before shampooing.
  • To eliminate frizz and promote ultimate softness and shine: Rub a drop or two of Rare Hair Oil between your palms and gently smooth over dry hair before styling.
  • To eliminate static: Use the dropper to apply several drops to your hairbrush before brushing hair.
  • To detangle: Work a drop or two of Rare Hair Oil through wet hair before combing.
4 fl oz/$400
Free shipping on this item when purchased separately.
are u thinking what i'm thinking? :spinning: Follow the red...

This looks de-light-ful....i just may order this...i can already feel this on my scalp....

sheamu.JPG
clutch_magazine.JPG
Longhairlovers Luxe
Shea-mu Hair Butter

How to grow long hair faster & healthier

Shea-mu Hair Butter contains our highest concentration of patent-pending emu oil and essential oil formula to grow long hair faster and healthier. The natural fatty acids in Shea Butter & Hemp Seed Oil add luster to dry, brittle, slow-growing hair, while Natural Vitamin E fends off free radicals and protects the hair and scalp from harmful environmental factors. Added Panthenol (Pro-vitamin B5) actually penetrates the hair shaft to strengthen hair from the inside out.
2 oz./$34

Last edited:
Hi:wave: BBB, Yeah I will be using caffeine powder girlie. I am excited about it so I pray it works extremely well. I am confident it will work but I want it to be extreme:grin:. I don't think I will be spending that kind of dough on any creme or oil or whatever if the results aren't absolutely stella. I mean at least 1 inch of hair growth a week or something like that.

That is just wayyyy too expensive for my blood so definitely not for me:nono:. But if you try it out, let us know what your results are, okay?

I swear we are so in sync on this board....I just started using Emu oil this week. I mix it with castor oil. I came across an article that made me really think that this Emu oil just might be my solution. I was undecided between Emu or an Indian oil blend, but decided on the Emu.

This is what I had found.....
Michael Hollick, MD, Ph.D., Professor of Medicine, Physiology, and Dermatology at Boston University School of Medicine conducted a study involving emu oil and hair growth. His study found that there was a 20% increase in growth activity of skin that received emu oil, compared to skin that received corn oil. Looking at the hair follicles, Dr. Hollick realized they were much more robust, the skin thickness was remarkably increased, suggesting that emu oil stimulated skin growth and hair growth. Additionally, the study showed that over 80% of hair follicles that had been "asleep" were woken up, and began growing. This is what emu oil may do for you!

I would like a double prong approach for thicker hair. I have my topical in the Emu oil, but would also like to add some supplements that can wake up the follicles as well.

That's exactly why I chose emu oil as well...I think a portion of my follicles are sleepy and/or damaged and if emu oil can wake them up, I'm all for it.

I ordered 2oz so we'll see what that does. Right now I'm trying to figure out a good way to take before pictures so that in a few months I can take after ones...if anyone has any ideas please let me know:yep:.

That's exactly why I chose emu oil as well...I think a portion of my follicles are sleepy and/or damaged and if emu oil can wake them up, I'm all for it.

I ordered 2oz so we'll see what that does. Right now I'm trying to figure out a good way to take before pictures so that in a few months I can take after ones...if anyone has any ideas please let me know:yep:.
msa do you mind me asking where you purchased your emu oil from?
tia,
tishee

msa do you mind me asking where you purchased your emu oil from?
tia,
tishee

I purchased it from amazon...but the company is called Laid in Montana...if I end up liking it I'll purchase it directly from them. Just google them and their website should come up.

I did it!!! I finally did it!!! I did the BC and I love it. The best thing I could have done for my hair. Btw sorry I've been mia. But school has been kicking my booty! Anyhoo, I'm back and new and improved...and definately on a mission now more than ever to grow my hair back.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 20
  • TADAHH!.jpg
    TADAHH!.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 23
  • luv luv luv.JPG
    luv luv luv.JPG