Spinoff: Could You Stay w/ a Man Who Wouldn't Marry You, but you LOVED Him? (SATC)

Could You Stay with a Man who wouldn't marry you but you loved him?

• Yes

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • No

Votes: 173 94.0%

• Total voters
Re: Spinoff: Could You Stay w/ a Man Who Wouldn't Marry You, but you LOVED Him? (SATC

I'm sorry, but I don't think I could do it. :nono: I know that I eventually want marriage, so I wouldn't stay with a guy that didn't want to marry me. :nono:

Now if marriage was NOT my goal, then of course...I could do it. :yep: But since marriage IS my goal, and I want to have children, etc. I couldn't just do with a living situation. :ohwell:

Re: Spinoff: Could You Stay w/ a Man Who Wouldn't Marry You, but you LOVED Him? (SATC

No. Life is too short to play house with a loser that doesnt know what he wants. I would rather be single...

No. I would just find someone else to love and marry that person.

If marriage is important to you then you get married. Period.

I can see why someone would be okay with dating so long with no ring.

Look at Tina Turner. Reportedly, she dated her now husband, Erwin Bach, (I'm speculating possible relation to the great composer) for....wait for it...25 YEARS! I cannot fathom that! I'm not even that old yet!

People have their reasons. Personally, could see myself doing it. Better believe I'm not having kids for him and we won't be living together, I know that much. But a long time boyfriend? Yeah that sounds nice to me.

The only reason I'd urge marriage is if i wanted children. That's really my only call to action.

Last edited:
Depends on my age and the reason
I am thinking like Oprah
Type situation
If I want a companion more than a provider and being a wife comes with certain duties I am not use to then.....

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

The type of man that I want, will want to get me off the market ASAP. He would want to get me married quickly because he wants to have me forever. I don't got time for anything less.

Well here is my take on it. I have a boyfriend now. The way I got into that relationship was by telling him that " If it's been "this amount of time" and you are still not sure about wanting a relationship with me then I care about you but I can't deal with you." He contacted me a week and a half later wanting a relationship. This tactic also work with a woman one of my close friends knew. She and her boyfriend had been together for two years. The topic of marriage came up and he said he was not ready for marriage. She said that if you don't know this after two years that I can't deal with you anymore. She is married to him today. A guy wrote that a man losing a woman he loves will crush him. Don't be afraid to leave.

If he loves me more than I love him, yes.

Nope! Seen this too many times. When the relationship is over after many years, he will meet and marry someone he just met.

Well here is my take on it. I have a boyfriend now. The way I got into that relationship was by telling him that " If it's been "this amount of time" and you are still not sure about wanting a relationship with me then I care about you but I can't deal with you." He contacted me a week and a half later wanting a relationship. This tactic also work with a woman one of my close friends knew. She and her boyfriend had been together for two years. The topic of marriage came up and he said he was not ready for marriage. She said that if you don't know this after two years that I can't deal with you anymore. She is married to him today. A guy wrote that a man losing a woman he loves will crush him. Don't be afraid to leave.

Hmm. I agree with the first half of what you said. I told DH from the jump that I was not going to be a baby mamma or a woman who waits a long time to get married. I always said I would never threaten to leave if I didn't get a ring, I would just leave , no explaining given cause I don't want to force anyone into marriage.

The second half of ur statement: I know two WW incidentally who forced their man into marriage and I just always looked at them as desperate. If the man doesn't love you enough to ask without pressure then that's not the basis of a good marriage.

I broke up with my previous bf because if this. It hurt my pride and self esteem but I moved on and I'm happier than ever in my new relationship.

Hmm. I agree with the first half of what you said. I told DH from the jump that I was not going to be a baby mamma or a woman who waits a long time to get married. I always said I would never threaten to leave if I didn't get a ring, I would just leave , no explaining given cause I don't want to force anyone into marriage.

The second half of ur statement: I know two WW incidentally who forced their man into marriage and I just always looked at them as desperate. If the man doesn't love you enough to ask without pressure then that's not the basis of a good marriage.

Hmm.....Maybe I misread her friend's experiences, but imo I think there's a big difference between FORCING a man to marry you, and letting a man know that you aren't willing to stay in a relationship with a man without a ring if it's been longer than x amount of yrs. There's nothing wrong with letting a man know that you are perfectly fine with walking away from the relationship if it's not working for you. :yep: It's up to him to then decide what he wants to do.

Of course, the PERFECT and most desired relationship is a man who decides on his OWN that he wants to marry you and he proposes within 6 months.... :look: But those types of relationships aren't always the case unfortunately. :-/

There are few words to explain how I feel about that.

Not in a million years with a cherry on top and nuts.

I never understood that thinking. A couple can be together for YEARS, have children together, own property together, have their lives entwined together but yet not get married?

I wouldn't do it. No way no how.

then leave and marry another woman in 3 months

Nope, without a commitment from the other person, my dedication has an expiration date. And if marriage wasn't my goal, then what would be the point in shacking up with the same person forever? There are too many other people in this world to try out if marriage is not your goal.

Back