Spinoff: Could You Stay w/ a Man Who Wouldn't Marry You, but you LOVED Him? (SATC)

Could You Stay with a Man who wouldn't marry you but you loved him?

• Yes

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • No

Votes: 173 94.0%

• Total voters
Re: Spinoff: Could You Stay w/ a Man Who Wouldn't Marry You, but you LOVED Him? (SATC

Nope. Not a chance. I'd would never stick around for that.

My sister's in this situation now and we're all trying to talk to her about getting out of it but she doesn't want to. She's 30 and he's 38. They've been together for 10 years. I "guess" you can say they're engaged now for 5 yrs however he never really proposed. She told him she wanted to get married. He said " go get yourself a ring if you want" . So she did.....:rolleyes:They have a 3 year old son.
We just found out from my other sister about a week ago that when they were living with us over the last xmas holiday, that fool actually told other sister's husband that he never intends on marrying her. This man has been benefitting from this family for yrs and has everything he has because of us. I mean car, job, apartment, everything. He's going to find out in a few days that all these benefits have come to an end.

Re: Spinoff: Could You Stay w/ a Man Who Wouldn't Marry You, but you LOVED Him? (SATC

Ok first of all I will say I do not like the whole Carrie and Big relationship it was full of drama mostly cause he didnt want to take things further and she wanted to force or change him to get what she wanted that is why she always got her heart broken. Crazy ish 10 yrs for a mother humper to ask her to marry her? and she is actually waiting on it? ok my analysis and disdain about that relationship could take forever.

For me personally my goal in relationships is marriage so if a man cant gimme that can he step aside so that i can be with someone who can?. Its all or nothing

Last edited:

I thought she was a fool for marrying him after he ditched her at the alter. And I cannot believe she got mad at her friend for telling him not to get married. He is a grown man.

There was so much wrong with that relationship that I wouldn't be surprised if she's divorced by the middle of the second movie.

I mean hell, he cheated on wife number 3 (Natasha) with wife number 4 (Carrie).

I think Big is sexy as hell, but this is not the dude you try to build a life with.

By the way, Coco, you spelled "Big's" name wrong! It's B-I-G-G!

:)

Whats the point? Without that ring, he'll always feel a sense of liberation and lack of devotion to you.

I really believe if you are truly in love with someone you would want to shout it to the mountain tops. You want to write it in the sky and tell the whole world.Like, YES I found the one ! If you don't feel like you can tell the world I don't feel that person is truly committed to the other. It just leaves too many loopholes and it doesn't make any sense. Too much room for error. To answer the question, my man better be shoutin ! lol

There was so much wrong with that relationship that I wouldn't be surprised if she's divorced by the middle of the second movie.

I mean hell, he cheated on wife number 3 (Natasha) with wife number 4 (Carrie).

I think Big is sexy as hell, but this is not the dude you try to build a life with.

Big was sexy but I would never want to see a friend marry someone like him and I agree that they will probably divorce. Carrie messed up big time when she dumped Aidan.

I couldn't do it either. One think I know for sure is that I want to have at least one child. And it's important to me that I be able to tell my child how me and their dad met, how he proposed.

Big was sexy but I would never want to see a friend marry someone like him and I agree that they will probably divorce. Carrie messed up big time when she dumped Aidan.

Yes, Aiden was the best thing walking...

Ok first of all I will say I do not like the whole Carrie and Big relationship it was full of drama mostly cause he didnt want to take things further and she wanted to force or change him to get what she wanted that is why she always got her heart broken. Crazy ish 10 yrs for a mother humper to ask her to marry her? and she is actually waiting on it? ok my analysis and disdain about that relationship could take forever.

I feel exactly the same with that whole Big and Carrie deal. I never understood why Carrie was so smitten with that guy. :ohwell:

I "guess" you can say they're engaged now for 5 yrs however he never really proposed. She told him she wanted to get married. He said " go get yourself a ring if you want" . So she did.....:rolleyes:They have a 3 year old son.

What in the.....seriously??!!! :perplexed

double post.

No I could not stay with a man who would not marry me. I understand the couples that met young like in college been together for several years...but even after you have graduated and start life after college, some moves need to be made.

Whats the point? Without that ring, he'll always feel a sense of liberation and lack of devotion to you.

Trust me when I tell you a ring doesn't even remotely equal devotion.

Not.even.close.

No, I could not do that. I want to be married and I want children. If those two things are a no-go for him, then he's a no-go for me.

RE: Tiara's post

While it is romantic to re-commit each year and to not feel like your relationship is defined by what folks in society thinks, there are many reasons why folks get marriage licenses, besides just love and societal acceptance. Bunny posted a pretty good article about a couple who never got the piece of paper, but had children, a home, the whole nine yards for 20+ years. When the man died, the military wouldn't give his woman/girlfriend/mother of his kids the flag on his coffin, b/c she was not married to him. It was pretty sad...

I can definitely say that finding out that a man never intends to marry me is a deal breaker. It's esp. the worst when you find that out after the fact.

I don't think most men count down the day to marriage like many woman do, but most decent men will at least not object. For a man to flat out object to marrying a woman he has no qualms sexing and playing wife with is highly problematic IMO.

strangely, enough, my SO has asked me to marry him on several occasions. but i don't wish to marry him. i'm happy just being with him.

very soon, i will be going back to my old job of traveling all over the U.S. again. and look forward to being alone, and after my assignments seeing him. For some odd reason, there's something in the back of my mind that says i'm not ready to marry.

I married once, and i swear, i would never do it again. The divorce was worse than the relationship.

OT: I thought the SATC movie was stupid and they sent a whole lot of women up to gbe punked. The entire Big and Carrie relationship was foul on multiple levels and it's an insult to me as a woman that they tried to sell me that mess because they thought I and others would buy it package in Gucci, Marc Jacobs, and Betsy Johnson. If Big and Carrie were black LHCF would have been ablaze for months after that movie. It was redankulous and Carrie is pathetic and so was their relationship which RARELY ends like it did in the movie. They were also entirely too old for that delayed adolescence mess.

No, I could not do that. I want to be married and I want children. If those two things are a no-go for him, then he's a no-go for me.

RE: Tiara's post

While it is romantic to re-commit each year and to not feel like your relationship is defined by what folks in society thinks, there are many reasons why folks get marriage licenses, besides just love and societal acceptance. Bunny posted a pretty good article about a couple who never got the piece of paper, but had children, a home, the whole nine yards for 20+ years. When the man died, the military wouldn't give his woman/girlfriend/mother of his kids the flag on his coffin, b/c she was not married to him. It was pretty sad...

I understand all of that completely people talk to me all day long about things like that....the thing about that story is the flag wouldn't of been that important to me either nor are too many of the other concerns people have over the legalities of the marriage...I'm definitely not against legal marriage its just something thats not particulary important to me...

so its about what is important to people personally and I for one would never try to discourage another to follow my personal views or feelings on things nor make them feel what they feel is important isn't....if its important to you then it matters and thats the bottom line.....there hasn't been one person i know who got engaged or married or anything that i didn't congratulate or that i tried to talk out of it or try to make it less important for them, all I tell people is that when they ask me for my thoughts on what they do is that be real with yourself and the other person and be okay with whatever reason you are getting married for and I hope it all works out the best for you and you get out of it what you want

If you are in it for true love know that true love comes from the two individuals involved and don't assume a ring or the license will make love magically appear if you don't have it already or don't know that it comes from within, if you are insecure in love before marriage you will be just as insecure within the marriage...and vice versa....I love to witness people in love married legally or not, its a evident energy between the people

If I didn't want children, I could see myself considering it - but even still, my thoughts lean more towards - no. I prefer to have a least a vague illusion of stability in my life.

If I become a divorcee or a widow, I strongly doubt that I will ever get married again, no matter how wonderful my next relationship might be - so I can't say 'it'll NEVER happen'.

Absolutely not.

Been there, done that. :nono:

I thought she was a fool for marrying him after he ditched her at the alter. And I cannot believe she got mad at her friend for telling him not to get married. He is a grown man.

Yeah, I did too. She acted like it was Miranda's fault for him ditching her. He always had cold feet their entire relationship.

the whole 'i didn't know that was an option' part of the movie bothered me.

i think it's ok for people who do not believe marriage/don't think marriage is necessary. but with carrie it seemed she put it out of her mind because she didn't think big wanted to & i was vrey :-/ to that.

anyways, we have had this question before & the usual consensus is 'no' .so w/e

:yep: I agree with this.

If marriage is important to the woman, then any man that she considers "the One" would certainly know that and propose.

As DH & his friends say, 2 years or 20 years, if she is still just a girlfriend then he is still looking for his wife.

Exactly....

Back