So Going To A Friend's Wedding Without You

would you be upset?

• Yes

Votes: 38 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters
No. I know someone going through this right now. Basically long story short, the groom is friends with the guy that was invited. The bride sent out the invites and only close friends and relatives that are married or engaged received a plus one. Since the bride isn't friends with the guy, she didn't care to give a plus one to a girlfriend.

People need to remember that your meal isn't free and the bride/groom is responsible for all attendees. If I were the bride I would do the same. The girlfriend will be okay. Does she even know the couple?

And you two have been together for 2 years. Would you be upset about it?

I'll answer first, I would be pissed and would drag his arse. Why the hell am I not your plus one?!

This happened to two friends of mine. The guy "claimed" that all his boys agreed to not bring a date. I know it bothered her but she let it go just like she did a lot of other things in the relationship. My other friend confronted the guy about it.

I would be super pissed. When one of us is invited to a wedding, I automatically assume we are each other's plus ones.

On another note, I don't like it when you invite a couple and one of them can't go and they try to sub in someone else. Nah homie, the invite is addressed to two specific people - Jane and John Doe; not Jane Doe and guest.

No. I know someone going through this right now. Basically long story short, the groom is friends with the guy that was invited. The bride sent out the invites and only close friends and relatives that are married or engaged received a plus one. Since the bride isn't friends with the guy, she didn't care to give a plus one to a girlfriend.

People need to remember that your meal isn't free and the bride/groom is responsible for all attendees. If I were the bride I would do the same. The girlfriend will be okay. Does she even know the couple?

See, if it's a "new" girlfriend then I understand not inviting her, b/c some people go through boyfriends and girlfriends like water. But if your guest is living with their SO or you know the SO, then I think you should invite them even if they're not engaged.

That's interesting. I always thought that all adults get a plus 1. Nevertheless I think it's odd and it would bother me big time.

That's interesting. I always thought that all adults get a plus 1. Nevertheless I think it's odd and it would bother me big time.

Not really...it depends. For me, certain people did not get plus ones if they were not married or engaged. These people are co-workers and sorority sisters. Basically those who will know someone else at the wedding. Younger cousins who change SOs like they change underwear did not get plus ones either. Most of my close friends are getting plus ones b/c they're with someone.

He sure did.

To me, it suggests he may not be that that serious about her and/or he's just an inconsiderate SO.

He sure did.

Hmmm...I Would probably be salty but I wouldn't make a big deal especially if I didn't know the couple. Weddings are a lot of pressure for attendees. I'm dreading going to my friend from high school wedding cause SO can't go. I don't want to go to the wedding, unmarried and alone :nono: :lol: everyone looking at you asking why you're not married, are you dating, why didn't they come, or if you go with someone it's when y'all getting married and how long you've been together :blah:

LOL.

Refusing a plus one that's on offer.. in any of my relationships that would be odd.

I bet you there's some kind of "one that got away" or some girl that he nearly ****ed, but didn't attending.

ETA: No sorry lol. I thought about it more and it still seems strange. I'm going by myself with no further explanation as to why...

Last edited:
Well if the invite didn't include a plus 1 then I get it. But if my SO just decided not to take me then yes I'd have a problem with it.:look: If it were my wedding, the friends I want there I know their SOs so I'd feel strange inviting one and not the other unless it was for budgetary reasons. But my friends without SOs, then yeah I'd ask just them.

I would only be upset because it would make me pass up an opportunity to show off my best formal dress.

What was his reasoning? Why would someone want to go to a wedding and not drag their SO so that they have someone to make fix their plate and someone to talk to while the ceremony and reception drag on lol?

My SO is going to a wedding this weekend and there is no plus one. He asked the couple if he could bring me but at that point I didnt even want to go.

I have met them and for some reason I think that they want to set him up with someone else. Idgaf. They think I am a young tart. His friends are corny af anyway.

But the guy Femme was talking about was offered a plus one. And he still ain't trying to take his girl, lol.

Oh... I was responding to the OP. Unless I know the people personally or it's some fabulous location etc. I still don't care if I don't go lol. If we were married it would be different.

I'm saying this in light of me being dragged to function after function by SOs so I'm at the point where I want to be left alone :cantlook:

Hmmm...I Would probably be salty but I wouldn't make a big deal especially if I didn't know the couple. Weddings are a lot of pressure for attendees. I'm dreading going to my friend from high school wedding cause SO can't go. I don't want to go to the wedding, unmarried and alone :nono: :lol: everyone looking at you asking why you're not married, are you dating, why didn't they come, or if you go with someone it's when y'all getting married and how long you've been together :blah:

Right and these are his old close college friends. Think Harper from the Best Man and he brought Robin with him even though she didn't know them. It's an opportunity for your relationship to go "public" if that makes any sense. You meet all the people that matter in his life. Him not taking her means that she's not that serious to him.

Sorry but I would've been on fire, I'm not the stay hidden type of woman and I'm big on formal events..he would know that asap.

I'd have no right to be upset. I didn't take DH to two weddings when we were dating. One was in the Bahamas (friends wedding). The other was a family wedding, out of state, and my sister and I were bridesmaids.

If he had a plus 1 and didn't want me to go, I'd presume they were unsavory people that he didn't want me around but he felt obligated to attend.

If he had a plus 1 and didn't want me to go, I'd presume they were unsavory people that he didn't want me around but he felt obligated to attend.

But wouldn't he just mention the reason to you in conversation rather than you having to presume?

I've had issues like this and I'll say "you've had an invite, but just to let you know this certain person/people you can't stand/people you have nothing in common with will be there". I know he probably wont want to go, but I give him the reason anyway.

Last edited:
Back