Single Girls, can we have a "stay occupied" challenge?

Thinking about being single has really been getting me down. I'm a busy girl...with school and all..but being "busy" with activities that don't lift your spirits isn't much fun. So I figured if any of the other single ladies are interested, we can have a "stay occupied" challenge. We can come up with the rules after the fact.

This would be a great place to post websites/resources that list local events/classes/volunteer opportunities/parties...etc... We can also share ideas on projects that can keep us occupied. I often run out of ideas myself...so that would be very helpful.

We'll make goals for every week. I'm wanting to get back into recreational reading so we can also make some good literature suggestions.

If anyone else thinks this is a good idea we can start an official thread. I need to get my mind off men cause that time of the month is coming and boy do I get men crazy and super emotional!:wallbash:

Cheers!

Hey...I'm busy with school as well but I would love ideas on other things that I can do in my sparetime. I may not have much to contribute but I'd like to lend support any way I can.

Thinking about being single has really been getting me down. I'm a busy girl...with school and all..but being "busy" with activities that don't lift your spirits isn't much fun. So I figured if any of the other single ladies are interested, we can have a "stay occupied" challenge. We can come up with the rules after the fact.

This would be a great place to post websites/resources that list local events/classes/volunteer opportunities/parties...etc... We can also share ideas on projects that can keep us occupied. I often run out of ideas myself...so that would be very helpful.

We'll make goals for every week. I'm wanting to get back into recreational reading so we can also make some good literature suggestions.

If anyone else thinks this is a good idea we can start an official thread. I need to get my mind off men cause that time of the month is coming and boy do I get men crazy and super emotional!:wallbash:

Cheers!

Yes yes yes! Count me in! :D

I really need this. I need to get my mind off of men, and into my full enriched life.

I have already started trying to get busy with my life and live it to the fullest so that I can be happy with me (single/attached). I think that's the best way to stay happy. Keep busy.

So, I'm in. I'd be interested in this challenge.

Good idea Red! :up:

I'm in. I joined a young professional group, and I have a GIANT mixer in Montclair, and two hikes this month. Next month, I go to a formal sorority interest meeting. I think this might work for me. So, I am completely in. I even made up my 101 Things in 1001 Days list.
If anyone happens to be in Jersey, the mixer can be found on: www.njyp.org. Ticket prices went up, but there will be over 450 people there. It may be worth checking out...

I'm not single per se, but it's still important for all women
to stay occupied... writing on blog takes up a lot of my time.

Have you considered writing about something you're passionate about.
Like if you're into interior design you could start collecting pictures
all over the net and making albums... or fashion... you can make a show blog... whatever you're passionate about but you have to be really into it
otherwise you'll get bored with it... sometimes I am researching hair all day
but that's just what I'm really into...

I also am wondering if any single ladies would be interested in meeting up if we are in the same area? I think that would be a fun way of staying occupied. :yep: Kind of like a meet-up, but not related to hair.

hey girlys

im so interested this seems very fun and will most def. get my mind of guys ugh well if anyone know of fun things in the wpb let me know im intertested and ill start thinking of ideas

Next month, I go to a formal sorority interest meeting. I think this might

wat sorority is if if u dont mind me asking? there is a formal informational for a sorority in school tomorrow but im really nervous about because idk much ppl on my campus and ive been here ab 2 years. also hearing from the few ppl ive told its motivating either like the girls r too prissy and rude etc etc. i also dont have neone 2 go w to be more at ease so u can say im freaking out do u ladies have ne advice?? i ll appreciate it alot!:yep:

btw its the aka sorority...

This is a great idea, I love it. But...i'm wondering about the age ranges. I'm 34 - is there anyone a bit older and single? I've been meeting SO many men lately but no one floats my boat so I'm taking a break.

I like this idea. :yep:

I've been so occupied with things lately that I hardly find the time to pick up the phone for my ex, and for me, that's always a good thing.

I recently just got a part-time job at a clothing store. I don't really NEED the job but I spend a lot of money on clothes and things and the extra cash won't hurt either. Besides, my weekends were spent in the bed...watching Love Jones and Boomerang over and over. :ohwell:

I also work full-time and I'm taking a stats course two nights a week. My schedule is busy busy busy, but I like it this way. I was focusing too much on what I don't have instead of appreciating life and enjoying what I DO have.

Im 24 by the way. I graduated college, but I'm taking courses til I figure out what I want to go get a master's in.

. Besides, my weekends were spent in the bed...watching Love Jones and Boomerang over and over. :ohwell:

:lol: I did this alot when I was in undergrad.
I know all the lines to Love Jones, its so sad.
Nina Moseley and Darius Lovehall forever :look:

Last edited:
This is a great thread. One of the things that I did some time ago was sign up for Daily Candy. Their week-end edition features things to do and see. Eventhough I am not in the city anymore it is great tool to know about because you become culturally aware of whats happening around you.

www.dailycandy.com

I'm keeping myself busy trying new hobbies I started doing yoga and belly dancing via fit tv. I joined the national council for negro women. I was really focused on job hunting, going on interviews and finding networking things to do in my industry. I got a job today yay! So I'm not thinking about it a lot anymore. But what do I do when I'm pmsing and I see dawn and q on making the band all boo'd up or I go on facebook and somebody has a engagement status to keep from bursting out crying. lol
I'm happy for them but I still can help but think dang when is it going to be my turn.

I think this is a great idea too. I'm thinking about finally moving on since I'm not getting the commitment that I want from the guy I'm dating (1 year no commitment :nono:). So, I've been looking into other activities that I can get into to keep my kind occupied. I already volunteer each month. Since I don't have any younger friends here, it really does get boring sometimes.

I did join a few meetup groups on meetup.com today. I would suggest that everyone try that site out to find different hobbies/activities that interests you. I joined a Fashionista, Obama Support, Women in their 20s, and a Black professionals group. I can't wait to attend some of their events.

Hmm... sounds fun. I'm in.

I'm really into learning new things so I'm trying out for an acappella group in my school. I love to sing and I've sang in gospel choirs my whole life so I'm looking for something a bit different. If I have the time, I may also try and take up a swimming class. My life is too precious for me to lose it drowning somewhere.

I'm in. I joined a young professional group, and I have a GIANT mixer in Montclair, and two hikes this month. Next month, I go to a formal sorority interest meeting. I think this might work for me. So, I am completely in. I even made up my 101 Things in 1001 Days list.
If anyone happens to be in Jersey, the mixer can be found on: www.njyp.org. Ticket prices went up, but there will be over 450 people there. It may be worth checking out...

Thanks!!

I'm in Jersey too. Used to live in Montclair but recently moved to Bloomfield. Are you also in Essex?

I'm definitely up for this challenge!

Work keeps me busy as is. So is hitting the gym right after work for at least 4x a week.

I also plan on attending this art exhibit next month created by a fellow forumite on Nappturality, for all those who are interested:

The Pursuit of Nappiness
http://casafrela.com/
47 West 119th St.
New York, NY 10026
212-722-8577

The Pursuit of Nappiness
going-natural.com
http://going-natural.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=513&Itemid=388

It starts on Saturday November 1st in Harlem and will be ongoing for the entire month. Below is a synopsis of what will be shown for each week in November:

Program for a 5 week exhibit in November

Week 1 Opening/personal story/Lecture

Week 2 How to Style Nappy Hair Demonstration

Week 3 Documentary

Week 4 How to Wrap

Week 5 Hair Show

All single sisters in the area should consider going, especially my fellow nappturals! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Last edited:
This is a great idea, I love it. But...i'm wondering about the age ranges. I'm 34 - is there anyone a bit older and single? I've been meeting SO many men lately but no one floats my boat so I'm taking a break.

Hey Monilove you are not by yourself, I am also 34 and single and no prospects in site!:nono:

Back