Single Girls, can we have a "stay occupied" challenge?

I think this is a great idea too. I'm thinking about finally moving on since I'm not getting the commitment that I want from the guy I'm dating (1 year no commitment :nono:). So, I've been looking into other activities that I can get into to keep my kind occupied. I already volunteer each month. Since I don't have any younger friends here, it really does get boring sometimes.

I did join a few meetup groups on meetup.com today. I would suggest that everyone try that site out to find different hobbies/activities that interests you. I joined a Fashionista, Obama Support, Women in their 20s, and a Black professionals group. I can't wait to attend some of their events.

I co-sign on meetup.com. You could be busy every single night of the week if you wanted to with that site. There are SO many groups for people with any kind of interest you can imagine.:yep:

:lol: I did this alot when I was in undergrad.
I know all the lines to Love Jones, its so sad.
Nina Moseley and Darius Lovehall forever :look:

And that's exactly why I had to get out of the house. One time I found myself quoting the movie when I was talking on the phone. I had to ::stop:: myself. Regroup and realize that I was not talking to "Brother to the night".
I still wish someone would come and "play something for me". :look:

I.will.not.watch.Love.Jones.tonight :wallbash:

@ the bolded...and they always will be :look:

This is a great idea, I love it. But...i'm wondering about the age ranges. I'm 34 - is there anyone a bit older and single? I've been meeting SO many men lately but no one floats my boat so I'm taking a break.

I'm 31

I would like to participate in the challenge as well.

Just taking advantage of things that are available such as the museum(I have kids so this is a great idea, if you don't have kids, borrow someone elses). Go to the library. Take better care of yourself including hair, nails, skin, etc. it takes quite a bit of time to take care of our bodies, when we do it right and don't rush through it. Clean out some things in the house that you've been meaning to.

Oh this week/weekend, I am taking my kids to the fair. That's fun!

I'm 31

I would like to participate in the challenge as well.

Just taking advantage of things that are available such as the museum(I have kids so this is a great idea, if you don't have kids, borrow someone elses). Go to the library. Take better care of yourself including hair, nails, skin, etc. it takes quite a bit of time to take care of our bodies, when we do it right and don't rush through it. Clean out some things in the house that you've been meaning to.

Oh this week/weekend, I am taking my kids to the fair. That's fun!

In total agreement about taking care of yourself. I think people underestimate how much time this really takes. It's like a part time job. It definitely helps you to stay occupied.:yep:

This is a great challenge, I will be updating frequently like I do with the ChaCha thread.

I am in..

I have started taking driving lessons .. I am 29, and I think it is about time
I have joined the gym and now go 2/3 times a week

From now I will,

Do something cultural every week - Museums, Movies, Eating out

I will start working on me - My skin is a full time job but since I have dedicated looking after it, it is getting so much better

I am starting a new course in February

I did join meetup.com, but stopped going to the functions.. Need to see if there any other groups I can join.

Great Challenge OP!

This is something I've been thinking a lot about lately. Instead of focusing on what I don't have and what's wrong...I need to redirect that energy into something positive unrelated to a dude :rolleyes:.

I've been trying to get out of the house (listening to sappy love songs :look:) and go to different events, weekend road trips and the like. There is so much I want to do and now is the time to do it!

There was a Speak Out Party that I wanted to post here so badly last weekend. It was a battle of the sexes at a friends house (good male turn out! ;). He has other events so when another come up I will post it here as well as others of course.

October 2, 2008
The Weekend Guide
What to Do This Weekend

Cue October Symphony.

READ
Dog Run
What: Renowned photographer Michael Crouser’s beautiful black and white pics of man’s best friend, all taken during intense moments of play at parks.
Why: Some are naughty; some are nice.
When: Online at amazon.com.

CARRY
Alphabet Bags
What: Quality heavyweight cotton totes adorned with your favorite letter.
Why: L is for love ’em.
Where: Online at alphabetbags.com.

SPONSORED LISTING
SEE
Nick and Norah
What: Michael Cera and Kat Dennings star in a comedy about two people thrust together for one hilarious, sleepless night of adventure in a world of mix tapes, late-night living, and loud music.
Why: Every night has a soundtrack.
When: Opens Fri., Oct. 3.
Where: Your local theater.

GO
Passive-Aggressive Notes
What: Hilarious site showcases thousands of hostile scribbles from roommates, bosses, and frenemies.
Why: Put paper in the printer or die. Love, Me.
Where: Online at passiveaggressivenotes.com.

SHOP
Bare Necessities Sale
What: Through Monday, most lingerie on the site is discounted 20 percent or more.
Why: Unmentionables worth mentioning.
Where: Online at barenecessities.com.

USE
Wordlock
What: If you can’t remember a numerical code to save your life, letter combo locks should do the trick.
Why: You’ve always loved four-letter words.
Where: Online at travelsmith.com.

October 2, 2008
The Weekend Guide
What to Do This Weekend

Stay in or go out? It’s up for debate.

SEE
Edible Art
What: MallowDrama bakery reproduces classic paintings by Vincent van Gogh and Franz Marc on sheet cakes and gives free cupcakes in honor of Oktoberfest.
Why: Munch you can munch on.
When: Sat., noon-6 p.m.
Where: Ayr Hill Gallery, 141 Church St. NW, Vienna (703-938-3880).

STOMP
Willard Wine Festival
What: Celebrate the French harvest festival with dancing, music, and a bit of grape stomping.
Why: It feels good between your toes.
When: Fri., 3-9 p.m.
Where: Willard InterContinental Hotel Courtyard, 1401 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, at 14th St. (202-628-9100).

WATCH
Vice Presidential Debate
What: The aspiring veeps are shown on big screens with accompanying elk burgers, chicken potpies, and themed cocktails.
Why: This is no time for moderation.
When: Thurs., 4 p.m.-midnight.
Where: Lobby Bar, The Ritz-Carlton, 1150 22nd St. NW, b/t L & M Sts. (202-835-0500).

BUY
Moojoo Ken Scarves
What: The shoe and bag house releases custom silk scarves named after local hoods.
Why: Tie one on.
When: Mon.-Sat., 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sun., noon-5 p.m.
Where: 1512 U St. NW, b/t 15th & 16th Sts. (202-234-3140).

SHOP
Ia Etc Opening Party
What: The home decor space offers consultations.
Why: Sofa, so good.
When: Thurs., 3-8 p.m.
Where: 14803 Southlawn Ln., Rockville (301-545-1702).

Cool! I sometimes find that there are a lot of 20-somethings who are single but when you are 30+ many are married. Glad to know there is someone else here my age :):grin:

I know what you mean. :yep: There's quite a few of us here. Makes me feel a lil better too.

I know what you mean. :yep: There's quite a few of us here. Makes me feel a lil better too.

Well maybe the 30+ single women should keep in touch for support.

My thing is I really need to get out of the house more. I'm talking myself out of hanging with my girlfriends tomorrow because I have to drive a bit but I don't know...I may go.

For a while I was dating younger guys cause that's all I was meeting but now I've been wanting to date guys who are older than me and the place we are going to is for an older crowd so I have more of a chance to meet someone in the 35+ age range.

I think I'm gonna go!!!! :yep:

My thing is I really need to get out of the house more. I'm talking myself out of hanging with my girlfriends tomorrow because I have to drive a bit but I don't know...I may go.

For a while I was dating younger guys cause that's all I was meeting but now I've been wanting to date guys who are older than me and the place we are going to is for an older crowd so I have more of a chance to meet someone in the 35+ age range.

This is my thing. I don't even remember the last time I went out. :ohwell: I'm 25, but I can definitely relate to that problem and finding single girls to hang out with.

I like the ideas of us keeping in touch Moni, I need all the support I can get. I also like you don't get out of the house much. I live in a college town and once you've graduated from college there isn't much to do for non college students and all of my close friends have moved away. The only time I will probably go out here is when my college has it's homecoming .

In total agreement about taking care of yourself. I think people underestimate how much time this really takes. It's like a part time job. It definitely helps you to stay occupied.:yep:

I know I have been slacking on my job of taking care of myself. I am in such a rush to do for the kids and previously had an SO that required time. Now I can focus on these crusty feet. Sooooooo. I willl challenge to do my feet at least once every two weeks--I mean soak, exfoliate, excavate, file, clip and the whole nine. Not just the pumice I do in the shower to keep from scaring people away. I will also keep my nails better. I just do clear, but I will stop waiting until it wears off before I polish again. And this face. I have sensitive skin and I hate to let my face get clogged, but lately it is clogged and yucky, so I need to get back to using my burts bees every other day and alcohol once a week, followed of course by my dove moisterizers(day and night creams)
I was recently talking to my friend about how I want to lose weight and I usually run full speed into it and get burnt out. Well, I am going to try one body part at a time and tone.

Hey Moni...we're the same age. :yep:

grown and sexy in the house. heeyyyy!!!!

Cool! I sometimes find that there are a lot of 20-somethings who are single but when you are 30+ many are married. Glad to know there is someone else here my age :):grin:

So true. I am going to enjoy my time of being single and need to start dropping the kiddies off more often and going out with my friends---hey, is anyone in Charlotte, we could go out.

I really need to get occupied. I feel like there's no time in the day, but it MUST be because I just have times where I worry about being single or constantly think about finding "the one" or "the one right now haha"

Other than ChaCha, I need to come up with some creative ways to stay busy...still thinking.

Other than ChaCha, I need to come up with some creative ways to stay busy...still thinking.

You sound like me. What do you like to do? Are you coming to the meetup? Maybe you can link up with some other LHCF ladies and maintain a real life friendship and hang out. BTW, I am sooooooo hype about the meetup.

ALRIGHT!! Didn't expect this turnout! Should we start a new thread and compile all of our ideas and links into the first few posts or continue on in this thread?

So I checked meetup.com and found there is a German Club in my city! I've been studying German at the University but haven't managed to learn much. I would really like to become fluent so this is a perfect opportunity to work on that. Off to find more clubs!

So far...
Way to keep busy #1 Learn a Foreign Language

Weekend Plans: STUDY STUDY STUDY

I plan on going to gym tomorrow to play basketball and one of the faculty members at my school is hosting a Nigerian Independence Day party on Sunday. Sometime this weekend I will have to do my toenails and clean my room.

This weekend I have to work, run errands for the family, and hit the gym. Always on the go; that's how I like it.

Weekend Plans: STUDY STUDY STUDY

I plan on going to gym tomorrow to play basketball and one of the faculty members at my school is hosting a Nigerian Independence Day party on Sunday. Sometime this weekend I will have to do my toenails and clean my room.

I have an exam next week so I'll be studying all weekend too.
I wanted to go to a Nigerian Independence Day party in Oakland, but I can't seem to find any.
None of my parents are from Nigeria, but I always feel like there's a possibility that that could be my country of origin, so uh, I'm celebrating too. :look:

Also, my new plan for the holiday, since i don't have an SO and I won't be spending the holidays with family, I'm going to treat myself to a spa weekend. I plan on staying the weekend in a hotel with a spa and just relax and regroup and plan out my goals for 2009. :yep:

Back