No, a Boyfriend Doesn\'92t Have to Pay Bills Like a Husband

NOEChic

I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
My best friend, who lives with her boyfriend, got into a car accident. Via mass email, she asked all her friends for money to help with the expensive repair. I said to her privately that her boyfriend should be handling that, not us. She called me judgmental and unrealistic, then we fought about my high expectations. In this instance, was I wrong?

97Anonymous

It depends. There are two separate issues here. One is your response to a friend who was asking for help; the other is whether her boyfriend is responsible for covering her repairs.

Your response to a friend in need wasn't wrong per se, but it also wasn't right. Your girl is in need, and what you were supposed to do as a friend was let her know whether or not you could help, period. Telling her that her man is responsible for her finances wasn't really your place. It sounds as if you didn't want to cough up any money and it's your right to say no but instead of just being honest about that, you tried to pass the buck to your friend's man. That was overstepping the boundaries of your friendship.

Your friend may have asked her man for money and he didn't have it or didn't have enough to cover everything. Or maybe he said no to her request, too. After all, as a boyfriend, he isn't obliged to cover her car repairs just as you aren't. The only person financially responsible for the car is your best friend, along with her insurance company. Speaking of which, why aren't they covering the expensive repairs for her car? (If there was any question to ask your friend, this was it.)

But back to her boyfriend. I find many people these days have husband or wife expectations of their boyfriend or girlfriend. Covering or contributing to a major bill is a spouse duty, not a significant-other obligation. It's nice when a boyfriend wants to pitch in to help, even though that can come with its own headaches, but he certainly shouldn't be your primary option for bailing you out of a financial mess. Your man isn't your personal ATM or a financial plan.

Your friend's situation is a little tricky in that she and her partner live together, sort of like husband and wife, but without the primary benefits of that commitment. Their situation is a gray area, one in which couples get to pick and choose which traits of a spouse they will take on. This is one of the complications of living as husband and wife without actually being such. It seems that the boyfriend here has chosen not to cover the cost of the car repair as a husband typically would. And that's fine, since he is, in fact, not a husband.

I suggest that you apologize to your friend for meddling in her business and let her know if you have something to put toward the bill or not. It sounds as if you don't want to pay, so tell her you're glad she's OK but you have nothing to spare.

I agree with the whole thing. He is not her husband, and it would be nice if he would help her (and I think he should), but he is not obligated to do so.

I would get rid of him though...because he's trying to receive husband benefits, but when times get tough, he wants to act like a boyfriend...and a no good one at that.:nono:

Last edited:
He doesn't have to ... but he's in training for that position :look: Men do less when married, women do more. His behavior in the dating stage is tell-tale.

^Exactly. Bet she'd doing the same ish as a wife but dude sitting in the same house as a boyfriend

I would have asked the same question. No apology.

Last edited:
Ay man, look. When you ask me for money, you open yourself up to my inquiries about your financial situation. I need to gather as much info as possible to make an informed decision. And your broke *** should be happy to comply.

Asking me for money and then turning around and talkin about some damn boundaries :lachen: lord have mercy.

No real comment on the SO helping. All I know is, if you ask me for money, and I follow up with :where your man/fam /cat/dog at tho?, you shouldn't give me stank attitude. Because you just asked me for money.

I don't think the friend should have brought up the womans SO at all (whatever she thinks of him). Do you have money for my expensive car? No, I can't help you. Thats it. KIM.

Maybe both of them are broke IDK, they could have debts. Maybe he's a lazy *******, IDK. Whatever it is she's cool with it. All I know is I don't usually launch a criticism towards someone's SO, or husband unless that friend is already openly expressing dissatisfaction with them.

He doesn't have to ... but he's in training for that position :look: Men do less when married, women do more. His behavior in the dating stage is tell-tale.

so if your boyfriend expected you to cook most days of the week you would be ok with that since you are in training to be his wife?

so if your boyfriend expected you to cook most days of the week you would be ok with that since you are in training to be his wife?

I think you misunderstood what my point was. Men have something to prove, women don't because they're most likely to do more AFTER marriage. Men do less cause they figured they've already proven themselves.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstood what my point was. Men have something to.prove, women don't because they're most likely to do more AFTER marriage. Men do less cause they figured they've already proved themselves.

so women dont have to do ANYTHING to prove they are wife material, but men have to jump through hoops and trick off money to prove they are husband material? Ok got it.

so women dont have to do ANYTHING to prove they are wife material, but men have to jump through hoops and trick off money to prove they are husband material? Ok got it.

:lol: You took that all the way left. Maybe you want to be upset about something. Is it tricking if they're living together, sharing a bed and bills and she needs help? :lol: People have it all twisted these days.

:lol: You took that all the way left. Maybe you want to be upset about something. Is it tricking if they're living together, sharing a bed and bills and she needs help? :lol: People have it all twisted these days.

ok, so if he is paying the bills (as LHCF ladies require) and cannot afford to fix her car that she crashed, is he still husband material or a kang

Hmmm. I thought insurance repaired the car after you paid the deductible. Either way, I would have just said no. I was in a similar situation where a family member asked me (and my fiance) to pay her phone bill, through a text message. I said just said "No, we don't have it." but in my mind I was thinking "How dare you ask me/us to pay a for a phone bill that you never use to even call us-unless you want money! Don't you have a man?!! Don't you have a mama?!! *********." :look:

Given that he is a live-in boyfriend his duties are blurred. I cannot imagine a live-in boyfriend being a room-mate situation. It would be more of a spouse situation without any legal ramifications to it. However, again, the rules are very blurred when shacking up and it depends on the couple.

Secondly, I'd tell her the same thing because he is living with her. I'm your friend not your parents or you man. In a case like this she should be figuring out how to solve the situation on her own versus begging her friends for money. My friendship does not come with financial support.

Given that he is a live-in boyfriend his duties are blurred. I cannot imagine a live-in boyfriend being a room-mate situation. It would be more of a spouse situation without any legal ramifications to it. However, again, the rules are very blurred when shacking up and it depends on the couple.

Secondly, I'd tell her the same thing because he is living with her. I'm your friend not your parents or you man. In a case like this she should be figuring out how to solve the situation on her own versus begging her friends for money. My friendship does not come with financial support.
You know, "no" is a complete sentence? Whats the point of saying wheres ya man?

You know, "no" is a complete sentence? Whats the point of saying wheres ya man?

Because I'd want to know why she's asking me and not him. She had the audacity to ask me for money so yes I will have the audacity to ask her what boo boo is doing :lol:

ok, so if he is paying the bills (as LHCF ladies require) and cannot afford to fix her car that she crashed, is he still husband material or a kang

I have my own standards, regardless of LHCF standards. And my answer would depend on a few things, does he drive her car, does he have his own car, does she have insurance, etc.

I get what you're trying to say, but I think it's a far reach. Or maybe this is your experience? I've seen this flipped the other way around.

All in all, regardless if your married or shacking up, an arrangement is just what it is. We don't know what arrangements the OP's friend has with her SO, so we should refrain from judging.

I get what you're trying to say, but I think it's a far reach. Or maybe this is your experience? I've seen this flipped the other way around.

All in all, regardless if your married or shacking up, an arrangement is just what it is. We don't know what arrangements the OP's friend has with her SO, so we should refrain from judging.

We're allowed to disagree. :yep:

This whole thread is about judgment though. Hence, the title of the thread.

In another thread I responded to about loaning your man money I got beat up on cause I said I have. Most LHCF women said they would never and he aint a man and blah blah blah. BUT here it is expected though not obligated for her boyfriend to GIVE not LOAN her money. Some of you are just funny to me.:lachen:

Since she sent the request via mass email I wouldn't have replied at all. Or I would have given her what I could afford to lose and KIM. IMO either help or don't help, but all the other stuff is extra. The bf is obviously not helping for one reason or the other and I don't really need to know the reason. Either help her or ignore her. If it was a really good friend who wasn't always begging I would probably help her if I could afford to never see the money again.

I wouldn't be offended if a true friend asked me if my live-in SO was contributing. However it would depend on the tone of the question and whether I can trust the intention behind the question. I wouldn't take kindly to telling me your unsolicited thoughts and opinions when I'm in distress.

Asking the purpose for the loan is legitimate but asking WHY certain people are or aren't contributing wouldn't be my approach. Implied in the question is the questioner's expectation that the SO SHOULD making the asker defensive. That's not the time or place to have such a discussion.The answer does sound like passing the buck and dishonest. It's the dishonesty that would bother me most.

I don't do well with judgmental "friends." Too many opportunities in life for people to judge us in work & social situations etc. I need to feel "safe" with close people. People tend to jump at the opportunity to hop on the high horse. It's human I guess but we can all try to avoid that tendency. Trust that there are things in each one of our lives that people could judge and judge harshly! So, to thine own self be true.....

I didn't read, but my aunt has a policy.....i don't help a single woman laying up with a male. Her explanation was that she can see a single woman living alone, single male living alone to an extent, married couples in hard times to an extent.....but that we live together nonsense playing husband and wife, but he isn't helping you....nope.

It seemed cold to me when I heard her say stuff like that growing. Lol.

I had a cousin who wanted to borrow money all the time, but her bae "didn't have to rush to find a job as long as the house stayed clean" pov. The nos started coming and she stopped asking.

As far as this lady....I don't think her question was out of line per se, though kinda rude. However, i wonder why shes playing house with a ninja who wont help. I would hope he just doesn't have it, but if she's struggling like that.... maybe she can do bad by her darn self.

Last edited:
I think the same way as the woman in the post. I wouldn't have mentioned it then but most people know how I think.....

The fact that they live together has no bearing on my opinion.

Last edited:
As a rule, I don't lend/give money to any shacking and married individuals. Two people should be able to put their heads together and effectively handle their business without my assistance. Non-shacking women with a SO are SOL, too - her woes are his jurisdiction, IMO.

Any woman with a SO that has to campaign for funds during a crisis needs to reevaluate a few things, and foremost among them is the bum she's dating/living with. The game has gotten twisted and effed up.

When you're expecting people who are not your parents or husband to financially support you then you have to respond respectfully to legitimate questions even if they are borderline rude. I would question a man who sees his woman struggling in his house and doesn't give his all to help. A good man is wired to go into save the day mode for his momma, his woman, and his kids. If he can't afford it outright he needs to be calling for favors too.

Last edited:
What is mind boggling to me, though, is that that he is not a regular boyfriend, they're basically engaging in a common law relationship.

Back