My husband may have a son by someone else.

Getmore- can you please explain how this came about?
We ran into a family member of the mother in the grocery store a few months ago. I didn't know her but my husband did and he chatted with her and gave her our business cards and then introduced us. We always give our business cards out to a lot of people we come in contact with so we thought nothing of it. But that was months ago. We got a phone call from the mother last Wednesday. :nono:

Thanks so much for all of your kind words of encouragement and advice. I really needed it. I love you guys!:kiss:

My husband and I had a really long talk today and he honestly thinks the young man is not his son. He says the dates don't add up. I told him that it has been over 20 years and he may not remember correctly. He wont even begin to accept the possibility until after the results are in. He's very stressed and I think I'm going to stop talking about it to him until we find out. I've been talking to his sister (she's the only family member that knows of all this) and we are actually planning a welcome party for him if he turns out to be his.
I will not mention that to my husband right now though.:nono:

A welcome party is a really great idea. That way he can get to know paternal family members.

In the future if he says stuff like, " you should do this to make up for..." I would say, "are you going to make up all the grass cutting and car washing you would have done?"

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all of your kind words of encouragement and advice. I really needed it. I love you guys!:kiss:

My husband and I had a really long talk today and he honestly thinks the young man is not his son. He says the dates don't add up. I told him that it has been over 20 years and he may not remember correctly. He wont even begin to accept the possibility until after the results are in. He's very stressed and I think I'm going to stop talking about it to him until we find out. I've been talking to his sister (she's the only family member that knows of all this) and we are actually planning a welcome party for him if he turns out to be his.
I will not mention that to my husband right now though.:nono:

Getmoore, you are one stand-up woman. Your hubby and children are very lucky.

If he is not his son, then what? how do you plan to proceed? i'm sure seeing him again would be ackward after the fact.

Okay then - I'd just tell em straight.

This is your older half-brother, born before me & your dad met, and for some reason, his mother didn't tell your father about him until just now...... and then answer any questions they might have about it, and use it as an opportunity to drill into their heads again to either wait til marriage or to use PROTECTION. :lachen:

They are old enough to be confident in their place in the family, but you might have to reassure them that nothing much will change.

That can be a tricky conversation to have since, if my math is correct, at least 2 of her (their) kids were conceived prior to the marriage date as well.

Thanks again Ladies. We are taking this minute by minute. My hubby is better today but when he first found out he CRIED. I've only seen him cry twice before in 20 years! The young man acts very shy just like my boys! He seemed so happy to see that he could possibly have found his father. Thursday is just too far away.I think he's his though. I told my husband from the beginning that if the young man is his then he's mine too.

Awww....

:bighug:

Thanks again Ladies. We are taking this minute by minute. My hubby is better today but when he first found out he CRIED. I've only seen him cry twice before in 20 years! The young man acts very shy just like my boys! He seemed so happy to see that he could possibly have found his father. Thursday is just too far away.I think he's his though. I told my husband from the beginning that if the young man is his then he's mine too.

you and your husband are beautiful people. this made my day ((hugs)) to you all.

Ah, that's a good point. Didn't mean anything by it - do people generally have issues with the term half-sibling? Interesting.

my half sister told me last weekend that she hates me calling her that!!!

i had NO idea, she says "we are sisters! just please stop using the word half in front of it, it is so hurtful! :ohwell:

Wow out of the blue she decides to call him. Getmore you are handlign this very well.
I had to go weigh myself before I answered your post. Other than not being able to sleep very well or eat much (I'm down 11 pounds since finding out) and wondering what her motives are and keeping my hubby from going over the edge ......I guess I'm OK. And yes she called out of the blue. I'm assuming from the contact info we gave her cousin in the store some months back.

Was she claiming someone else as the father all these years? This happened to my brother, except it was 14 years later. This lady had another man claiming him until he started looking identical to my brother. A DNA was ordered and the rest is history.

Was she claiming someone else as the father all these years? This happened to my brother, except it was 14 years later. This lady had another man claiming him until he started looking identical to my brother. A DNA was ordered and the rest is history.
Yes. He told us he thought someone else was his dad until he was 16. The man he's named after. He said he's been looking for his real dad since then.

Yes. He told us he thought someone else was his dad until he was 16. The man he's named after. He said he's been looking for his real dad since then.

Boy does this sound familiar. You really are handling this quite well. To be honest, when my brother called me about his situation a few years ago I was livid to say the least. I really wanted to beat a ho down because I felt like she was trying to break up a happy home. My brother actually cheated on his wife while they were dating, not married. Of course, the child support put a strain on their marriage. They didn't have any kids and still don't have any, by choice.

Boy does this sound familiar. You really are handling this quite well. To be honest, when my brother called me about his situation a few years ago I was livid to say the least. I really wanted to beat a ho down because I felt like she was trying to break up a happy home. My brother actually cheated on his wife while they were dating, not married. Of course, the child support put a strain on their marriage. They didn't have any kids and still don't have any, by choice.
Yep, That IS how I feel. I am very upset but I'm also very numb about the whole thing. The crying and yelling was so bad the first few days I thought I was having a meltdown or something. It almost scares me to think how I'm going to feel when we know for sure. I hope this isn't the calm before the storm...My hubby didn't conceive this young man in an affair and the young man is innocent is all I keep telling myself. But the mother ........:hardslap:
But seriously we need to have a LONG talk.

I really feel that children should have a DNA test before a father's name is put on the birth certificate. It should be law to avoid all these problems. Getmoore, the worrying must be drivin you nuts. Stay strong like you have been. Thursday is only one more day.

Yep, That IS how I feel. I am very upset but I'm also very numb about the whole thing. The crying and yelling was so bad the first few days I thought I was having a meltdown or something. It almost scares me to think how I'm going to feel when we know for sure. I hope this isn't the calm before the storm...My hubby didn't conceive this young man in an affair and the young man is innocent is all I keep telling myself. But the mother ........:hardslap:
But seriously we need to have a LONG talk.

Well, like an earlier poster stated, it happened before the two of you. Do take your own advice and have a long slow talk. I know you mentioned having a big welcoming celebration. Keep in mind, everyone will not view this as something to celebrate. I would definitely talk that over with hubby first. And be yourself and don't try to pretend like you are ALL okay with this. Building a relationship with this child will be a slow process. My brother never built the relationship with his son.

Well, like an earlier poster stated, it happened before the two of you. Do take your own advice and have a long slow talk. I know you mentioned having a big welcoming celebration. Keep in mind, everyone will not view this as something to celebrate. I would definitely talk that over with hubby first. And be yourself and don't try to pretend like you are ALL okay with this. Building a relationship with this child will be a slow process. My brother never built the relationship with his son.
Aww no.:sad:

GetMoore,
you are a strong woman and my heart goes out to you, your sweet dh, and this poor young man! I pray that all will work out.

I don't know on what side to cheer. I hope this doesn't become another Maury......"you are not the father" drama. It would be so devastating for the young man to be put this AGAIN!

On the other hand it would greatly simply your life.

what the....? what kind of mad woman would wait until her son if full grown before introducing him to his father?i don't know what to say. i'm sure you feel angry but it happened before you guys met.

:nono: You must not watch Maury....some women and Im using that term loosely do some conniving things. Thank God for DNA test! I wonder how many men were raising children that were not theirs or in jail over child support before DNA test were invented.

Wow you are a strong woman, you're handling it better than some would. I don't know how I'd react in this situation but I'd like to think it would be something like how you are now. Whatever happens tomorrow, just pray on it. This might be a blessing in disguise, you never know. I hope your husband will come around.

Okay...today is the big day! (ReVEAL DAY!) Sorry for the Clean House comment... but I really am excited to find out what the outcome of your situation is. PLEASE do keep us posted! God Bless you and your family!

Back