Men-free Zone ~ The Non-romantic Relationship Thread

I’m watching Long Lost Family UK. There was a man who went through the foster care system and he said that he felt extreme physical pain being abandoned and alone. I remember feeling that pain in my stomach as a child. My father would travel for months at a time and leave us with family or friends. My mother had left before I could remember her. So whenever my father left it would be excruciating. I totally forgot the intensity of the pain I felt until I heard this man explain his pain.

One of my brothers in Cali- We talked or said hi on FB once per month. But I noticed he stopped talking to me for a year now. I did not think much of it. I assumed he was busy with his business. But I just remembered that he put his partner on video chat to say hi. She just had a baby for him. First time I saw her. I said “what is it with you California black guys and latino women?”
:look:
I actually have two brothers in cali. One was born there, grew up there and went to college there. I have never seen him with a black woman. Or man, other than family members. Everything but. Chinese, Indian, white, Hispanic etc. My other brother who stopped talking to me was not born in Cali but lived there on and off since we were kids, and before he moved back to Cali he was an equal opportunity kinda guy but mostly dated dark skin black women. After he moved to Cali I only saw him with white latinos- mostly Mexicans or Puerto Ricans.

Sometimes I have no filter and then wonder why someone is not talking to me. I think it’s due to not interacting with my peers as a child and because of that I lack certain social cues sometimes. I can't say I’m bothered about my brother to be honest. But I am trying to be more tactful as my lack of tact has negatively impacted me in the past…

Last edited:
@ScorpioBeauty09 it will be interesting to see if she follows through in a couple weeks. Keep us updated.
Update: we were supposed to have lunch today. I was just getting ready to confirm with her and she canceled again. This time her husband and daughter are sick. She wants to reschedule for dinner next Friday. I asked what time works and haven't heard back. DH suggested I offer to Zoom with her so I've asked if we can do that so we'll see.

DH was thinking of hanging out with his best friend while I was out but he's going to spend the day with me instead. :infatuated:

Update: we were supposed to have lunch today. I was just getting ready to confirm with her and she canceled again. This time her husband and daughter are sick. She wants to reschedule for dinner next Friday. I asked what time works and haven't heard back. DH suggested I offer to Zoom with her so I've asked if we can do that so we'll see.

DH was thinking of hanging out with his best friend while I was out but he's going to spend the day with me instead. :infatuated:
Aww your hubby is a sweetheart. Thanks for keeping us updated. You’ve given her a lot of grace. I hope you get to connect with her eventually.

Ugh, another fight between my baby sister and my Mom, this time involving my middle sister too. Good news though, it looks like her health issue might be getting resolved soon. But she's still dealing with it for the moment. I'm staying out of this recent fight despite attempts to drag me into it. DH and I've have a million things to do to get ready for our LO and I'm not having it. :mad: My energy is finite.

Another thing is my baby's sister's dating someone who is actually decent for a change. Naturally she's not sure if she likes him. :nono: She also works with her ex (I warned her not to date someone she works with) and she's still hoping for the closure she's never going to get. I've encouraged her to keep dating the new guy, the family's met him and we like him so far. But my sister seems to have a glutton for punishment and I'm sick of hearing about it. At this point I'm starting to feel sorry for the new guy.

I forgot to update this:

We finally did meet up for dinner. It was really nice to see my old classmate again. She was super happy for me being pregnant. We caught each other up on how the COVID-19 lockdown were for us. She was pregnant at that time so I was curious about how it was for her. Other than that our conversation was pretty topical which I expected. Our relationship doesn't go as deep as my other friendships do most of the time. She was eager to get back home to her daughter before bedtime. She kept checking her phone a lot since her husband was watching her daughter alone. I gather he doesn't do that often.

But I hope we can get together again. I'm going to invite her to my baby shower but I won't be surprised nor take it personally if she doesn't make it.

Hello Ladies,
Wishing all of you a peaceful and safe holiday weekend. I don’t have many plans other than going to the movies, but I’m happy about that. What are your plans? If you care to share.

Hello Ladies,
Wishing all of you a peaceful and safe holiday weekend. I don’t have many plans other than going to the movies, but I’m happy about that. What are your plans? If you care to share.
I’m in the bed and prob won’t do much as my people meter is at zero. I don’t have connections with anyone but if I did I would love a plate and nap lol.

It is well documented that I haven't spoken to what used to be my favorite Auntie for over 2 yrs. We exchange pleasantries through my Mama and she still sends a text on my bday. But we no longer do favourite niece and Auntie things.
My Mama tricked me into having to spend at least 2 hours with her this coming Saturday. I am the designated driver for a funeral. Why'd I volunteer??? Now imma be stuck listening to my judgemental Auntie & Uncle (mama's bro is also flying in for this funeral) for an extended period of time! #prayforme

One of my friends just gave birth and I've surprised myself by how excited I've been :lol:. I'm usually the one who doesn't have much interest in pregnancies or other people's babies and I usually have to fake enthusiasm.

I'm not sure if its her whole story. She is a super smart and a great person but her Mum is a narcissist and robbed her of a lot of confidence from a young age including telling her she was not cute and all that nasty stuff :nono:.

Now she is living a good life, beautiful home, lovely husband, career is going well all in great health and their little baby boy is here. So happy for her.

@hopeful
Auntie bowed out at the last minute with some lame excuse. It was me, my Mama & my Uncle ( her brother)
I enjoyed their company for a few hrs. We had an easy, chatty ride up to Harlem for the funeral...i even found street parking which is always exciting in Manhattan!
Mama & I left Uncle and drove to the Bronx for Jamaican food before returning home!

I live in a very small town. One of my patient's husband was killed in a car crash in the last week. He was very elderly. Therefore most assumed he caused the crash due to a heart attack. It was not caused by him. I found out that the crash was caused by my neighbour. His vehicle exploded. My neighbour is devastated. It’s sad for everyone involved.

Last edited:
@Ganjababy I’m going to make a series of assumptions and you let me know if I’m off. You’re not a trained therapist right? If that’s the cause helping him find one and pointing him to the need of such support is optimal. I would also be there for the wife as she will be isolated a bit as he is down bad. If there is any legal things he may need to find counsel so justice can be had.

Back