Married Ladies: What issues did you have in the early years of your marriage?

Re: Marreid Ladies: What issues did you have in the early years of your marriage?

Oops... I didn't realize I'd actually submitted a half-completed answer. Here's my real response:

Control
I'd had been single for awhile I found myself trying to be in control of everything and wanting things to happen my way. My husband is very laid back, but he was also very wise in that he just sat back and let me wear myself out trying to "make it all happen." I finally got the clue that I needed to allow him to take his role as the husband (the head) as I came along side of him as his help.

The Ex-Wife
My husband has a daughter from a previous marriage. We experienced some really ugly episodes because she wasn’t as prepared to see him with someone else as she thought (even though she requested the divorce.) I HATED this woman for MANY years and my feelings for her prevented me from really being able to embrace his daughter as part of our new. In retrospect, my husband and I have agreed that HE should have dealt with his ex-wife early on in order to have a better relationship with his daughter. After all, she was just the child caught in the middle of drama.

The In-Law
It’s necessary to have some boundaries for your in-laws. My mother-in-law came to live in our city a few years ago. She and my husband have this small-town mentality that says it’s ok to show up at someone’s house unannounced. Well, to my dismay, one day I’m prancing around the living room virtually naked and I look out the window and here she comes walking up the driveway. I was HEATED! From that experience, we learned you have to (respectfully) set some boundaries for your parents.

Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff
This is probably one of the most important things. When we grasped this, our marriage soared to another level. There is SOOOOOO much stuff that just isn’t worth haggling over: who left the toilet seat up, who left the cabinets open, who left the cap off the toothpaste. Mind you, this doesn’t mean we don’t mention these things to one another, but it’s not worth arguing or attacking one another over. Marriages face enough challenges without our pet peeves chipping away at the relationship.
:yep: This is so very true.

Re: Marreid Ladies: What issues did you have in the early years of your marriage?

I'm not married yet (engaged) but I'm definitely taking notes. You ladies have really dropped some knowledge in here. Awesome thread.

awww shucks...thank you!

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! THANK YOU LADIES FOR THE WISDOM!!!:yep:

^^^^That cake looks so good!

Pregnancy is hard.:yep: Those men on tv who wait on their pregnant wives hand and foot, going out at 3am for pickles and rubbing feet every night? I have yet to meet one IRL, so don't expect that. If it happens, great! If not, don't hold it against your dh. It's hard for them too.

Don't expect happy, giggly rainbows and sunshine every day. It's ok to be in the house together and not talk. It's ok for you to read and him to watch TV. Even after marriage, your spouse is not there to entertain you.:lachen:

Don't force him to communicate. That was very hard for me. When I wanted to talk, we HAD to talk RIGHT THEN! He didn't take too kindly to that. If a man tells you to leave it alone, leave it alone for awhile. He's probably trying to keep from choking you.:lachen:

You took the words right out of my mouth! LOL :lachen: Well, except the choke part. :grin:
I've been married five years and I came to accept pretty fast that when we realized we didn't have much in common (Me: reading, writing, international adoption, haircare:yep:, science, Sims 2 :look:. Him: Computers, World of Warcraft, computers, videos games, computers...:look:) we really didn't have anything in common. EXCEPT the essentials lie our faith, our principals, our morals, how we were going to raise our kids, how we did our finances, what our roles would be in the household (as equal as possible), all that stuff. Don't believe the school of thought that if you don't spend EVERY SINGLE WAKING MOMENT together that he's cheating or your marriage is falling apart around your ears. Simply not true. As long as you guys talk about what's importatn, still love eachother and do enjoy eachother's company, I'd say you're okay.
My DH's family is always making fun of us when we get in "tiffs" infront of them and then talk it out in "that way" you know, "I love you honey, but it bothers me when you do that. I think you're a great person and I wouldn't be with anyone else, but I need to express my feelings" A bit of phychobabble, but we always understand eachother completely. And wouldn't you know that WE'RE the only people in his ENTIRE family (including distant relatives) that aren't divorced. In his family, either you've never been married or you're divorced. There's only one other couple that I know of that's still married, but they aren't related. Hm. *lol*

Last edited:

I am a very strong independent woman, so I tended to handle EVERYTHING. I made sure the bills were paid early, that the house was clean, groceries were bought, and the list goes on. DH got into the habit of doing the bare minimum which was going to work and producing the paycheck. Well, I worked as well! WTF? Now, 5 years later, I am acting a fool because I am tired of doing everything. I just stopped. Nothings getting done unless HE does it. I'm taking the time for ME. It's hard, but I had to break him out of this. He really sees how much hard work it is to keep the household running smoothly. We're taking it a day at a time. This was my hard learning lesson.

OMG! I felt you described me to the T.
COMMUNICATION COMMUNICATION COMMUNICATION!!!!! I have been married for 3 years and I must say it's a lot of hard work. I had to learn that my husband will not do things the way I would do them therefore I have to learn how to let things slide and not nick pick everything. Making sure I understand him and where he is coming from on certain issues and vice versa. Never go to bed angry and like a previous poster said talk things through when calm.

PP said a lot of things that I would of said.

Great advice on here. I wish I knew all of this before I got married. I had to learn the hard way.

Ive been married for almost 3 years and it took a lot of work for us to get this far. I trully beleive you must know GOD but most of all you MUST know yourself, I had my light bulb moment late last year, when I was ready to walk out and hear both sides of family say "told ya so, it wasn't going to last". I was not happy within myself so I tolerated alot of things, I wanted to blame him for everything, but I excepted it, so when I finally told him how I felt without blame, I felt better and our marriage is the better for it.

I've been married five years. The first year was very hard. I wanted out. But my husband and I are extremely spiritual people and we were both determined to make it work with each other and with God. Oh my goodness I remember some days sitting on the bed crying my eyes out wondering what I had done.

As hard as it to admit. Looking back on the first year. I was the problem. No, my husband wasn't perfect, but my God I was blessed with a good man. It really hit me one day when I came home unexpectantly and I overheard my husband praying. He was crying (this is the first time I had ever seen or heard him cry). He was literally begging God to help him be a good hsuband and to remove whatever pain was in my heart so that I could see just how precious I was to him and to God. He repeatedly thanked God for giving him such a good wife and proceeded to expound on my good qualities! He asked God to search his heart and show him if there were things he was not doing. But he also apologized to God for sometimes wanting out of our marriage. That sometimes he wasn't happy and he didn't know what to do to make it work. He wanted to make it work and he was trying but he needed the strenght that only God could give to make it. He repeated how much he loved me he thanked God for bringing us together. But he felt he didn't know this woman that he had married.

I was floored. I couldn't stop crying, and I was just standing there with tears streaming down my eyes. I went down the stairs as slowly as possible and got back in my car and drove to the farthest part of our property near the water. I felt like crap. I started self medicating myself with shopping not long after we got married. I was never one to spend a lot of money on anything, but it was the only thing that would make me feel better for the time being. And that day was one of my shopping sprees. My SUV was completely full of shopping bags. I looked at all the bags, i looked at my purse, my car, my wedding rings. I had EVERYTHING a woman could ever want. I was young, in great shape (at the time), beautiful, I had a beautiful home, luxury car, a career, a handsome husband who even loved me despite myself, even though my husband is very frugal I wasn't in want of anything, he gave me whatever I wanted within reason, my inlaws loved me and adored me. My family was comfortable and all in good health, grandparents as well. But I was miserable! Completely and utterly unhappy. And I didn't know why.

You would think that I would have gone home and apologized and confess about hearing his prayer and thanking him and all that, but no, crazy me went home with an attitude, he could tell I was in "one of my moods" so he left me alone. I cooked dinner, got in bed and called it a night. of course I woke up feeling like crap the next morning. I went for a walk that morning. I must have walked for like 3 hours! Aroung and around and around. I prayed the whole time. I finally realized that I was dealing with some unresolved childhood issues. I started writing a journal to get everything out. Sometimes that's the disadvantage of getting married young and moving from your mother's roof to being married. You have no time to yourself to really sort out and resolve things in your life. especially repressed memories. You get married hoping your husband will fill some void in your life. or you don;t even realize that you have these grand expectations of him, but subconsciously you do and when you realize that he is not fulfilling them you are mad at him and mad at life because you are not getting what you need/want.

so basically my husband became my therapist, he got me to talk about my youth and my anger and pain etc. I started to let go and forgive.

We had created the worst patterns. I'm from a family that does not communicate well. When we are upset we don't talk and we isolate ourselves. So naturally that is what I brought to our marriage. My husband is the complete opposite. He has to talk about it right away and express himself and in two minutes he's over it and we're friends. But because i didn't function the same way it would frustrate him. so he eventually gave up on trying to get me to talk. He became like ME! Stopped talking when he was upset and isolated himself. So as you can see this was a great recipe for distaster. But we were both still very commited to our creator and to each other, and we slowly just started applying things we learned in the bible. even if i didn't want to speak and I felt that if I did I would say something evil. I would just blurt something out. anything to make him undersrtand or get a glimpse of what I was feeling. no matter how inaudible it was. most of the time I would be screaming and crying hysterically (thanks to my mom). then I would collapse on my bed crying uncontrollably and apologizing for being the worst wife.

Let me tell you God is what made our marriage work, and just doing everything the bible tells you to do. It has the best advice. But marrying someone who loved God more than he loved me really helped. I could see him making all kinds of adjustments and changes in his life to try and make our marriage work and it made me feel bad that I was being so stubborn, it motivated me to want to make changes. So I did. And we started to grow up and grow closer. Looking back I feel like I was such a different person then. Partly because I was. I ended up changing my birth control (i was on the patch) and I didn't realize how much it had contributed to my depression. After being off the patch for six months I could feel the difference. I was more positive. Happier, and my sex drive was out of control. I was in such a dark place in my life when I was on that patch.

Marriage is still not easy but we have the tools we need to make it a success and we are committed to that. We so enjoy each other's company and we really consider ourselves best friends. No one makes me happier or makes me laugh like he does.

So what have I learned?

- Marrying someone who loves God more than he loves you.
- Make sure he is God fearing as well, because a man that truly fears God will not do anything to hurt you
- Marrying someone with a really good sense of humor. They can make you see the humor in things that you take so seriously. They really help to humble you too because they make you realize how ridiculous you are being. and help you learn to laugh at yourself
- Try to take a trip abroad or do some traveling before getting married, traveling helpes you widen your perspective on life
- Figure out what you want out of life, set goals for yourself and your future husband
- Don't look for someone to make you happy or complete you. Resolve all those issues before you get married. Your husband can't be that father that walked out on your family when you were 7 and he's not the father that beat your mom for 7 years of your life. Your husband is your husband. Love him for who he is and for the man God will make him. Don't expect something else of him. He will not fill that void in your life, he may make it easier to deal with and even help you forget it at times but he will never fill it.
-Learn to forgive for past mistakes and move on. You rob your husband of the possibilities of greater happiness when you hang on to pain from your past and allow it to dictate who you are and what you do now. Call on God and allow him to call you to peace.
- say how you feel, but not with the intent to hurt. sometimes I couldn't separate how hurt I was from the mean things I wanted to say, so I would tell him that I needed some time to sort out my feelings. I would try to get at the root of what was bothering me without generalizing. then we would sit and talk.

- DO NOT GO TO BED ANGRY. Make peace, it makes for a good's night sleep.

- learn what you like and dislike before you get married. define your personlity but don't be stuck in your ways, especially when it would be in your best interest to change for the better. but learn who you are
- don't be afraid to admit when you are wrong and be excited about making changes in your personality. God has this image of the woman and wife he wants you to become and he's ready and willing to mold you, but when you refuse to make changes especially when it's apparent that you need to you're pushing away God's hand and you put yourself farther and farther away from the woman and wife he knows you can become.
- treat your husband like a king. and you'll always be his queen. Pamper him, dote on him, spoil him. He deserves it. And if he's a goood man, he'll treat you the same and then some. and you'll feel so good doing it. Trust me, it's so much fun.
- remember that money and material things are not everything. Never live beyond your means. SPending all your time working and spending trying to chase some "american dream". People will have you believe that having a big home and a nice car and a certain type of job, a lavish wedding, a certain size wedding ring is true happiness, that you really don't have it all. But if you are loved, adored and cherished, even just by one person. You have it all. That is peace, that is happiness, that is success, THAT is priceless.

This was soooo sweet. I'm tearing up a little. What a beautiful story and great advice!:yep:

Okay, this year will be 8 years for us. I don't even know where to start so I'll come back with my little two cents.

Oh, I've learned patience! That's my biggest lesson that I will give as advice. Oh and letting him be the "man" like someone else said they were used to doing everything, handling all the bills, housework, etc... well I started letting my DH handle some bills and additional housework. Oh, and he's always helped out here and there in addition to the yard work, but I would complain about the least little thing that was out of order, for example the way he did the laundry. Shoot, I'm so appreciative now 'till I don't complain at all! Well... a little... sometimes, but it has to be something major. Still thinking because I've learned so much through the years.

it's a power struggle. i married really early and now i'm married again. still pretty early for most. i'm used to spending as i want from my 1st marraige. i have to work together on that now with my new hubby. also i want this one to help more with inside house work. he gets lazy with that.

Wow, Opulence's comments were beautiful! Definitely a role model.

All you have to do is do a search and see what kind of men should and should not get that kind of treatment:rolleyes:

It works for me too, people wonder how I get the things I do from dh. I think doing those little three, four things gets me wayyyyyy more than I give dh :giggle:

Just out of curiousity, are you a stay at home wife or do you both work?

I've been married for ten months and this thread is the truth.

My DH and I have known each other for 8 years now and have gone through a lot. Since being married so much has changed. I couldn't say 'husband' for a while after the wedding. Our relationships outside of the marriage have changed, as they should. I don't talk about my relationship with my best friend now, like I used to. Even my relationship with my sister has changed. I am more defensive toward her when she comes out of her mouth wrong. I've had to school her and her DH about calling before coming over. Just because they don't have sex in their marriage, doesn't mean we don't. I've also had to cut her off for her comments regarding our sex life, 'bodily fluids' and how they are performing.

I agree with the prayer, peace, piece, food, ego. This reminds me that I need to go grocery shopping this week.

re peace, his family treats me different now. I used to complain ALL the time. He never saw it. Now, I just sit back and play my position and let their actions do all the talking.

re prayer, we take turns nightly praying aloud. We pray seperately and then jointly. Tonight we decided that Sunday nights we'd read the Bible together and have Bible Study.

re piece; I envy those who have sex more than twice a week. DH works more than one job (3) and is sooo tired. While my drive is ALWAYS a 10, his may be -2, I had to learn to let him rest. He is the head/provider/hunter/gatherer for our house and he needs his rest. Since I am not working at the moment, you best believe that this house is clean. If his clothes are on the floor, they are on the floor. Until he wants them properly placed somewhere, they'll stay where they are.

We had a discussion recently and the biggest point was that no marriage is the same. Tests and trials will come. In the end, each individual's actions determine the outcome of the marriage. You are responsible for your own marriage.

Can you please clarify on the bolded?

Thank you so much ladies for taking the time to teach and share your experiences. I truly appreciate it!:grouphug3:I'm like a sponge, absorbing every word.

My dh is a Sag and blunt to the core. I've learned to know that his delivery is abrupt but I weed through to get the message:yep::yep:

mine too, sometimes it can be hurtful (my feelings get hurt fairly easy depending) but at the same time I think I can be worse.

in my first marraige i married young. my then hubby was older. the only real issue we had was cheating on his part. the other stuff wasn't that big of a deal. now that i'm remarried i'm trying to get him to clean up when i'm not here.

I am a very strong independent woman, so I tended to handle EVERYTHING. I made sure the bills were paid early, that the house was clean, groceries were bought, and the list goes on. DH got into the habit of doing the bare minimum which was going to work and producing the paycheck. Well, I worked as well! WTF? Now, 5 years later, I am acting a fool because I am tired of doing everything. I just stopped. Nothings getting done unless HE does it. I'm taking the time for ME. It's hard, but I had to break him out of this. He really sees how much hard work it is to keep the household running smoothly. We're taking it a day at a time. This was my hard learning lesson.

Have you done anything else besides stopping to fix the problem? I am not married yet, but this is one of the only problems i have with my boyfriend. We both work. When i get home i have to cook, clean, and do homework with my son. He comes home gets a plate and turns on ESPN! I have tried to let things go, but then i end up with a sink full of moldy dishes or a whole laundry room full of dirty clothes! He says that i need to ask him to do stuff. But i dont feel like i should have to tell a grown man to clean the bath tub when you can see the ring around it!

My father is just like my boyfriend. My stepmother is sooo unhappy now that all she talks about is divorce! They have been together for over 15yrs! If they did get a divorce i wouldn't blame her. I dont want to make the same mistake my step mother did. We are planning to get married, but i am not trying to be someone's maid. He is a great guy and we really dont have any other problems, but I would like to fix this miscommunication before we say "I do"

Great Advice, Quoted + Piece, Peace, and Food + Pray + Stroke that ego sum it all up. :)

This is long and I could go on, but I think this is sufficient.

:think: Let me see what I have learned from my own experiences and from other women...

No marriage is a cake walk and for those women you meet who tell you that marriage is perfect and they have the perfect husband, be leery of listening to any advice they have to offer. Usually, the perfect ones have the most problems. Before you make the final decision to get married, remember, it is not a game of playing house and then you put the dolls away. Marriage is real and be sure you are ready to take your relationship seriously. It goes beyond the beautiful gown, the guests, and wedding gifts. Once the wedding and honeymoon is over, reality sets in. Again, before you make the decision to get married, make sure it is a challenge that you are willing to act on and accept.

ALWAYS STAY PRAYED UP!!! Annoint your home and your family. Always pray for him, yourself, and your children and ask God to show you how to be a good and loving wife and ask him to show you how to love him the way that he does.

Be supportive and respectful. Men need to feel like you have their back and are willing to nudge them when necessary. Always give them compliments. For some reason, men need their egos stroked. Sometimes you feel like you are talking to one of your children when you keep saying, "Good job honey, I'm so proud of you." They need positive affirmation.

Don't put your spouse down in front of people. For example, if he cannot follow directions, don't say, "X is such an idiot and cannot follow simple directions." Even if he is clueless about doing something, just build him up and don't tear him down. When you are alone, he will thank you for it and beam like a million stars.

Giving him respect is vital. That does not mean giving him a license to abuse you. Basically, you need to give him unconditional love and confront the bad behavior. Communicate respectfully! You will get farther in your relationship when you speak in a respectful versus angry tone. If you don't, he will shut you out.

Think before you speak. Everything does not deserve an argument. So what if he left his clothes strewn across the floor. Although it is hard for us not to sweat the small stuff, soon you will realize it is worth it in the end.

Choose your listening ears carefully. No matter how bad an argument went, it does not mean you need to share it will everyone. Yeah, we all need to vent at some point or another. Always align yourself with positive energy and positive friends who will give you the best advice. Remember, misery loves company. Keep your family out of your business. Long after you make up with your spouse, your mother or father may hold what he did to you against him.

Independence One of our biggest problems as women is that we can be too independent and think we don't need a man for everything. Men like that, but at the same time, they want to feel like you need them in your life. Sometimes we have to take a step back and let him do some things for us.

Don't get too comfortable. Look your best for your man. :gorgeous: Sometimes women think because they are married, they don't have to look their best most of the time. Yeah, we have some bad days but everyday is not your worst day. Remember, your man will see beautiful women at work, women who have taken the time to look great for the office. Then he leaves you in the morning and comes back that afternoon to see you looking unkempt. Ummmm.... Give him a great portrait to remember, because there is always someone prettier than you. No one is saying that you have to look like a model everyday you leave the house, but don't look like a dusty old wife. What you did to get him is what you need to continue doing to keep him.

If you do not learn anything else from this thread, do remember that, "The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down." Proverbs 14:1:yep:

Thanks ladies, I will keep reading.

Last edited:

What a wonderful thread! Even after almost 15 years of marriage I found a lot of encouragement here!! :yep:

So much wisdom here . thank you so much ladies ! i read the whole thread and it was so wonderful to learn new things and get great advice :)

This thread gets better and better!

I need to pay more attention to this thread now....

Great thread..don't know how I missed it. I've definitely read some excellent advice that I'm storing away for future reference.

That's it. If they say anything different, they are just trying to prove they are 'real' and not shallow. :rolleyes: It's a bunch of crap, that's all men want.
I can agree that those are the top 3 BUT MY man likes me to look good too, i mean whats the point of sex,peace,and food if you always look like HELL :lachen::lachen:,keep your bodies and skin smooth and pretty Ladies.

Back