Married Ladies: What issues did you have in the early years of your marriage?

Re: Marreid Ladies: What issues did you have in the early years of your marriage?

The biggest issue I've had is he moves my stuff. He's obsessively neat. If I leave a writing tablet on the kitchen table and leave the room ... it's GONE!

That wouldn't be so bad if he knew where I kept my tablets, but he doesn't so he puts it in some random place. He STILL does this. After 2.5 years of marriage, I've decided it's a mental disorder and it's mean to yell at crazy people. :rolleyes:

Then there's...

1. sex
2. letting him rambling on about nothing (he's a seriously chatty kathy). i'm the one that needs the peace.
3. food. :)

Last edited:
Re: Marreid Ladies: What issues did you have in the early years of your marriage?

I am a very strong independent woman, so I tended to handle EVERYTHING. I made sure the bills were paid early, that the house was clean, groceries were bought, and the list goes on. DH got into the habit of doing the bare minimum which was going to work and producing the paycheck. Well, I worked as well! WTF? Now, 5 years later, I am acting a fool because I am tired of doing everything. I just stopped. Nothings getting done unless HE does it. I'm taking the time for ME. It's hard, but I had to break him out of this. He really sees how much hard work it is to keep the household running smoothly. We're taking it a day at a time. This was my hard learning lesson.

So how would you have handled it differently? Delegated the taske between the two of you?

this is so true. I am on going on my second year of marriage. sex...peace..food. that is about it. we women are so intense it seem unreal for it to be so simple. but it is what keeps my sexy husband happy...and me too :)

I know, I can't believe they invent books and shows and magazines for this. Men are so not complext at all. We are sitting around racking our brains and its really just as simple as that.

This thread is filled with the best advice ever. Thank you

I always hear that money is one areas that brings the biggest conflicts in marriage. I didn't see anyone discuss this. Any words of wisdom on that topic?

thanks ladies

My divorced cousin gave me some of the best advice... there's only room for two in your marriage bed

The biggest issue I've had is he moves my stuff. He's obsessively neat. If I leave a writing tablet on the kitchen table and leave the room ... it's GONE!

That wouldn't be so bad if he knew where I kept my tablets, but he doesn't so he puts it in some random place. He STILL does this. After 2.5 years of marriage, I've decided it's a mental disorder and it's mean to yell at crazy people. :rolleyes:

Then there's...

1. sex
2. letting him rambling on about nothing (he's a seriously chatty kathy). i'm the one that needs the peace.
:lachen::lachen:

....say the first 7 years?
What mistakes did you make that you would advise younger women to be careful/cautious of?
what advice would you give to those who have been married for 5 years or less?

you dont have to go into details.....just general information..

thanks
I used to nag the hell out of my ex. I learned from my failed first marriage that if you want your DH to do something your way, you need only suggest it to him one time. Tried this with the 2nd DH. After a little while, he'd come to me and go "You know what, I just got this great idea to...." and I'd be like, "Really? I love that idea!" knowing all along that it was mine. My mom told me about this. You can't be overbearing with men, and you have to always remember to make him feel like the man. This is especially important if you are a strong, independent type.

Awesomest thread ever. It should be turned into a book. That is all.

One more thing, men want sex, peace (hate drama, arguing, confrontation) and food. I promise if you do all of those things, make him feel kingly, they are just as happy as pigs in mud. They are just really simple creatures:yep::yep:

After I got all of these things downpat, I have honestly never had problems in my marriage. It still amazes me how sex and good food can change the whole course of a man's mood, odd.

You are truly correct! I have been married for 1 year and 5 months. After my husband and I got married we only spent two days before the wedding and the honeymoons together. Thereafter, he has to go back too kuwait.
I really didn't know how it felt to live under the same roof until, he came back home in March. I was able to take off from my job and never went back. So, we end up living under the same roof and getting to know what marriage life was. From March to September we spend every minute, hour and day together. I can said it was wonderful! I enjoyed every minutes with my husband. We took a cruise, went on day trips.
As long as he happy. Food cook, house clean and he never get turn down
from love making. I had no problem.
Don't get me wrong it some days I like you are getting on my nerves. I would catch an attitude out of this world. Believe me it didn't last long. He is a big talker so we communicates a lot. My husband is very direct and l like that, he speak him mind.

Marriage isn't a bad thing you have to be PATIENT, LET SMALL THINGS GO, COMMUNICATE, DO THINGS TOGETHER AND MOST IMPORTANT PUT GOD FIRST.

Then there's...

1. sex

:yep:I'm with you on these 3 things :lachen::lachen:

I've been married for 20 years and they haven't been an easy 20 years but I must admit that it has gotten easier. We're like brother/sister now - but it took God and lots of patience.

One issue I learned early on was that you CAN'T expect your husband to make you happy. This is something that is self driven. Your husband adds to your happiness but overall that's something that you're ultimately responsible for.

I learned the hard way and it took me a long time to learn it. I thought I wanted him to be around me all the time but when I pulled back and assessed the situation I really didn't. He was more aggravating, annoying and not so charming!

I quickly wanted him to find something else to do other than be under me! Please don't misunderstand me, we definitely enjoy our lives together and can't imagine life without each other, but I'm a very firm believer in 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'.

He has his babysitter (video games) and I have mine and we are both okay with that. You have to give each other space and that's often overlooked.

Another issue in a lot of marriages (not mine, I didn't play that crap) keep folk out of your business! You will have so much "Girl, if I were you..." drama and before you realize it, your home will be torn apart. I realize there are times when you will need to talk to someone to keep you from killing his tail, but if you must speak with someone, make sure this individual has a very Godly solid foundation in their marriage.

Marriage is not easy, it has LOTS of challenges and it's work - LOTS of work, but if you're determined you will have a successful marriage and not that "made for TV drama" but a real marriage, tried and true where you're not checking his cell phone, wallet, pockets, glove compartment, etc. (been there...)

God is the ONLY key to keeping marriages bonded. Ask Him for wisdom, guidance and grace and you'll be just fine! Witness!!!

TonicaG~

I used to nag the hell out of my ex. I learned from my failed first marriage that if you want your DH to do something your way, you need only suggest it to him one time. Tried this with the 2nd DH. After a little while, he'd come to me and go "You know what, I just got this great idea to...." and I'd be like, "Really? I love that idea!" knowing all along that it was mine. My mom told me about this. You can't be overbearing with men, and you have to always remember to make him feel like the man. This is especially important if you are a strong, independent type.

This is such a good point!!!

Men HATE to be asked a question repeatedly:yep::yep: Even though it seems like a basic question, "can you please do X, I've asked you like 50-11 times" They think you are telling them what to do, they are being emasculated--so guess what, they are REALLY NOT gonna do it now, that opposition disorder kicks in and all they can hear is a nagging wife.

And I've found the only way to get them to do something is to make it seem like it was their idea or glorify them, like "oh you remember when we watched that HGTV show and they put up crown molding in their spare room, you're so good at stuff like that, I bet you would do a great job. We should go to Lowe's and check it out" Always suggest and praise and they will do it. Then they will think it was all their idea.

I hate to make men and relationships sound so simple but they really are, just look at men, they are competitors, they want to win, they want to be right and be kings, think back to cave man days and that's how you should treat a man. LET him DO for you, be willing to receive and allow him to be a man. When you act like you CAN do everything, he will set back and let you do everything without one word.

This thread is filled with the best advice ever. Thank you

I always hear that money is one areas that brings the biggest conflicts in marriage. I didn't see anyone discuss this. Any words of wisdom on that topic?

The biggest thing is to make sure you are compatible with how you spend it and what you see as its value. When to spend and save.

For instance my husband and I agreed right away to buy substantially less house than we were approved for. All I want in a car is that it be safe and have enough space for all of us. We would have major fights if one of us wanted to stretch to the max for a bigger house or pay more money for a luxury car.

I wish my DH was that simple. He's a little too honest, tells me what's bothering him and doesn't care if he hurts my feelings. :sad: But I'm also too sensitive when it comes to words too.

My dh is a Sag and blunt to the core. I've learned to know that his delivery is abrupt but I weed through to get the message:yep::yep:

I'm not married anymore but, I was married for 3 years and the main issues we had were:

1. In-laws
2. Disagreement on when to have a baby coupled with fertility issues
3. Unresolved issues dating back to before we even got married
4. Not communicating well with each other

I will say I have learned so much about marriage and about myself. I have learned to definitely speak my mind (tactfully of course) on things that really bothered me and that some things really aren't worth arguing about when you look at the grand scheme of things.

I've been married five years. The first year was very hard. I wanted out. But my husband and I are extremely spiritual people and we were both determined to make it work with each other and with God. Oh my goodness I remember some days sitting on the bed crying my eyes out wondering what I had done.

As hard as it to admit. Looking back on the first year. I was the problem. No, my husband wasn't perfect, but my God I was blessed with a good man. It really hit me one day when I came home unexpectantly and I overheard my husband praying. He was crying (this is the first time I had ever seen or heard him cry). He was literally begging God to help him be a good hsuband and to remove whatever pain was in my heart so that I could see just how precious I was to him and to God. He repeatedly thanked God for giving him such a good wife and proceeded to expound on my good qualities! He asked God to search his heart and show him if there were things he was not doing. But he also apologized to God for sometimes wanting out of our marriage. That sometimes he wasn't happy and he didn't know what to do to make it work. He wanted to make it work and he was trying but he needed the strenght that only God could give to make it. He repeated how much he loved me he thanked God for bringing us together. But he felt he didn't know this woman that he had married.

I was floored. I couldn't stop crying, and I was just standing there with tears streaming down my eyes. I went down the stairs as slowly as possible and got back in my car and drove to the farthest part of our property near the water. I felt like crap. I started self medicating myself with shopping not long after we got married. I was never one to spend a lot of money on anything, but it was the only thing that would make me feel better for the time being. And that day was one of my shopping sprees. My SUV was completely full of shopping bags. I looked at all the bags, i looked at my purse, my car, my wedding rings. I had EVERYTHING a woman could ever want. I was young, in great shape (at the time), beautiful, I had a beautiful home, luxury car, a career, a handsome husband who even loved me despite myself, even though my husband is very frugal I wasn't in want of anything, he gave me whatever I wanted within reason, my inlaws loved me and adored me. My family was comfortable and all in good health, grandparents as well. But I was miserable! Completely and utterly unhappy. And I didn't know why.

You would think that I would have gone home and apologized and confess about hearing his prayer and thanking him and all that, but no, crazy me went home with an attitude, he could tell I was in "one of my moods" so he left me alone. I cooked dinner, got in bed and called it a night. of course I woke up feeling like crap the next morning. I went for a walk that morning. I must have walked for like 3 hours! Aroung and around and around. I prayed the whole time. I finally realized that I was dealing with some unresolved childhood issues. I started writing a journal to get everything out. Sometimes that's the disadvantage of getting married young and moving from your mother's roof to being married. You have no time to yourself to really sort out and resolve things in your life. especially repressed memories. You get married hoping your husband will fill some void in your life. or you don;t even realize that you have these grand expectations of him, but subconsciously you do and when you realize that he is not fulfilling them you are mad at him and mad at life because you are not getting what you need/want.

so basically my husband became my therapist, he got me to talk about my youth and my anger and pain etc. I started to let go and forgive.

We had created the worst patterns. I'm from a family that does not communicate well. When we are upset we don't talk and we isolate ourselves. So naturally that is what I brought to our marriage. My husband is the complete opposite. He has to talk about it right away and express himself and in two minutes he's over it and we're friends. But because i didn't function the same way it would frustrate him. so he eventually gave up on trying to get me to talk. He became like ME! Stopped talking when he was upset and isolated himself. So as you can see this was a great recipe for distaster. But we were both still very commited to our creator and to each other, and we slowly just started applying things we learned in the bible. even if i didn't want to speak and I felt that if I did I would say something evil. I would just blurt something out. anything to make him undersrtand or get a glimpse of what I was feeling. no matter how inaudible it was. most of the time I would be screaming and crying hysterically (thanks to my mom). then I would collapse on my bed crying uncontrollably and apologizing for being the worst wife.

Let me tell you God is what made our marriage work, and just doing everything the bible tells you to do. It has the best advice. But marrying someone who loved God more than he loved me really helped. I could see him making all kinds of adjustments and changes in his life to try and make our marriage work and it made me feel bad that I was being so stubborn, it motivated me to want to make changes. So I did. And we started to grow up and grow closer. Looking back I feel like I was such a different person then. Partly because I was. I ended up changing my birth control (i was on the patch) and I didn't realize how much it had contributed to my depression. After being off the patch for six months I could feel the difference. I was more positive. Happier, and my sex drive was out of control. I was in such a dark place in my life when I was on that patch.

Marriage is still not easy but we have the tools we need to make it a success and we are committed to that. We so enjoy each other's company and we really consider ourselves best friends. No one makes me happier or makes me laugh like he does.

So what have I learned?

- Marrying someone who loves God more than he loves you.
- Make sure he is God fearing as well, because a man that truly fears God will not do anything to hurt you
- Marrying someone with a really good sense of humor. They can make you see the humor in things that you take so seriously. They really help to humble you too because they make you realize how ridiculous you are being. and help you learn to laugh at yourself
- Try to take a trip abroad or do some traveling before getting married, traveling helpes you widen your perspective on life
- Figure out what you want out of life, set goals for yourself and your future husband
- Don't look for someone to make you happy or complete you. Resolve all those issues before you get married. Your husband can't be that father that walked out on your family when you were 7 and he's not the father that beat your mom for 7 years of your life. Your husband is your husband. Love him for who he is and for the man God will make him. Don't expect something else of him. He will not fill that void in your life, he may make it easier to deal with and even help you forget it at times but he will never fill it.
-Learn to forgive for past mistakes and move on. You rob your husband of the possibilities of greater happiness when you hang on to pain from your past and allow it to dictate who you are and what you do now. Call on God and allow him to call you to peace.
- say how you feel, but not with the intent to hurt. sometimes I couldn't separate how hurt I was from the mean things I wanted to say, so I would tell him that I needed some time to sort out my feelings. I would try to get at the root of what was bothering me without generalizing. then we would sit and talk.

- DO NOT GO TO BED ANGRY. Make peace, it makes for a good's night sleep.

- learn what you like and dislike before you get married. define your personlity but don't be stuck in your ways, especially when it would be in your best interest to change for the better. but learn who you are
- don't be afraid to admit when you are wrong and be excited about making changes in your personality. God has this image of the woman and wife he wants you to become and he's ready and willing to mold you, but when you refuse to make changes especially when it's apparent that you need to you're pushing away God's hand and you put yourself farther and farther away from the woman and wife he knows you can become.
- treat your husband like a king. and you'll always be his queen. Pamper him, dote on him, spoil him. He deserves it. And if he's a goood man, he'll treat you the same and then some. and you'll feel so good doing it. Trust me, it's so much fun.
- remember that money and material things are not everything. Never live beyond your means. SPending all your time working and spending trying to chase some "american dream". People will have you believe that having a big home and a nice car and a certain type of job, a lavish wedding, a certain size wedding ring is true happiness, that you really don't have it all. But if you are loved, adored and cherished, even just by one person. You have it all. That is peace, that is happiness, that is success, THAT is priceless.

^^^Opulence, your post is a very inspiring testament of marriage. Thank you for sharing!

^^^^^ See, even dlewis knows what's up:yep::yep:

My dh was like all mad because I hadn't cooked in like 4 days, he wouldn't say anything directly---just was mumbling about "kiddie food" I'd been making, you know quick stuff, tacos, hot dogs, etc.

Then last week, I told him I needed some gas, I was like "you're slacking on my gas" he said "yeah you're slacking too:rolleyes:" :rofl: :rofl: All huffy like, I was like "oh what's wrong with you, I sense some tude (I just wanted to see if he would say anything cause I know it was a SEX related issue). He was like "I'm straight" :lachen:No mention of what I was slacking on:rolleyes::rolleyes:,, see they don't want to tell you they feel like they are not getting enough sex currently---you can just sense it in their actions. Slamming doors and all of that :lol: Dude hadn't got any in like 4 days. So that coupled with NO FOOD, shooot.....was liable to send him over the edge.

He's normally very sweet and gregarious......SO, I sent him some umm X rated text messages later that day and told him what was up for later, and he has been whistling, bringing me diet cokes when he comes home from work.

I'm telling, men are like simple, simple. Babies, men and dogs, simple creatures.

I know she was thanked plenty but I have to totally agree with this. Men can get the worst attitudes when they haven't had sex. It took some serious candid discussions with him for me to understand that they physically "NEED" sex. They really do get backed up and it affects them emotionally. I had no idea!

One thing that was a big adjustment for me too was sex. I didn't enjoy it at all. My husband and I were both virgins when we got married so it was all trial and error. going in to my third year we got our rythm and it was Promise Land. I LOVE IT now! and I too have learned that I get a bit sassy when I haven't had sex. I usually don't realize it, but he always knows the "I'm PMSing" attitude vs the "I haven't had any in a while" attitude. he's pretty intuitive when it comes to my moods and emotions now.

But as was said you still have to spell stuff out for them. They truly are clueless sometimes. I get angry at the fact that he doesn't know why I'm angry. I'm like "Rewind the last 24 hrs and think about everything you have done and didn't do before coming at me with the "what did I do?"" but I did learn that he honestly has no clue. God love them! but they drive you crazy!

:perplexedI'm sorry. was my post too long?:look:

I've been married five years. The first year was very hard. I wanted out. But my husband and I are extremely spiritual people and we were both determined to make it work with each other and with God. Oh my goodness I remember some days sitting on the bed crying my eyes out wondering what I had done.

As hard as it to admit. Looking back on the first year. I was the problem. No, my husband wasn't perfect, but my God I was blessed with a good man. It really hit me one day when I came home unexpectantly and I overheard my husband praying. He was crying (this is the first time I had ever seen or heard him cry). He was literally begging God to help him be a good hsuband and to remove whatever pain was in my heart so that I could see just how precious I was to him and to God. He repeatedly thanked God for giving him such a good wife and proceeded to expound on my good qualities! He asked God to search his heart and show him if there were things he was not doing. But he also apologized to God for sometimes wanting out of our marriage. That sometimes he wasn't happy and he didn't know what to do to make it work. He wanted to make it work and he was trying but he needed the strenght that only God could give to make it. He repeated how much he loved me he thanked God for bringing us together. But he felt he didn't know this woman that he had married.

I was floored. I couldn't stop crying, and I was just standing there with tears streaming down my eyes. I went down the stairs as slowly as possible and got back in my car and drove to the farthest part of our property near the water. I felt like crap. I started self medicating myself with shopping not long after we got married. I was never one to spend a lot of money on anything, but it was the only thing that would make me feel better for the time being. And that day was one of my shopping sprees. My SUV was completely full of shopping bags. I looked at all the bags, i looked at my purse, my car, my wedding rings. I had EVERYTHING a woman could ever want. I was young, in great shape (at the time), beautiful, I had a beautiful home, luxury car, a career, a handsome husband who even loved me despite myself, even though my husband is very frugal I wasn't in want of anything, he gave me whatever I wanted within reason, my inlaws loved me and adored me. My family was comfortable and all in good health, grandparents as well. But I was miserable! Completely and utterly unhappy. And I didn't know why.

You would think that I would have gone home and apologized and confess about hearing his prayer and thanking him and all that, but no, crazy me went home with an attitude, he could tell I was in "one of my moods" so he left me alone. I cooked dinner, got in bed and called it a night. of course I woke up feeling like crap the next morning. I went for a walk that morning. I must have walked for like 3 hours! Aroung and around and around. I prayed the whole time. I finally realized that I was dealing with some unresolved childhood issues. I started writing a journal to get everything out. Sometimes that's the disadvantage of getting married young and moving from your mother's roof to being married. You have no time to yourself to really sort out and resolve things in your life. especially repressed memories. You get married hoping your husband will fill some void in your life. or you don;t even realize that you have these grand expectations of him, but subconsciously you do and when you realize that he is not fulfilling them you are mad at him and mad at life because you are not getting what you need/want.

so basically my husband became my therapist, he got me to talk about my youth and my anger and pain etc. I started to let go and forgive.

We had created the worst patterns. I'm from a family that does not communicate well. When we are upset we don't talk and we isolate ourselves. So naturally that is what I brought to our marriage. My husband is the complete opposite. He has to talk about it right away and express himself and in two minutes he's over it and we're friends. But because i didn't function the same way it would frustrate him. so he eventually gave up on trying to get me to talk. He became like ME! Stopped talking when he was upset and isolated himself. So as you can see this was a great recipe for distaster. But we were both still very commited to our creator and to each other, and we slowly just started applying things we learned in the bible. even if i didn't want to speak and I felt that if I did I would say something evil. I would just blurt something out. anything to make him undersrtand or get a glimpse of what I was feeling. no matter how inaudible it was. most of the time I would be screaming and crying hysterically (thanks to my mom). then I would collapse on my bed crying uncontrollably and apologizing for being the worst wife.

Let me tell you God is what made our marriage work, and just doing everything the bible tells you to do. It has the best advice. But marrying someone who loved God more than he loved me really helped. I could see him making all kinds of adjustments and changes in his life to try and make our marriage work and it made me feel bad that I was being so stubborn, it motivated me to want to make changes. So I did. And we started to grow up and grow closer. Looking back I feel like I was such a different person then. Partly because I was. I ended up changing my birth control (i was on the patch) and I didn't realize how much it had contributed to my depression. After being off the patch for six months I could feel the difference. I was more positive. Happier, and my sex drive was out of control. I was in such a dark place in my life when I was on that patch.

Marriage is still not easy but we have the tools we need to make it a success and we are committed to that. We so enjoy each other's company and we really consider ourselves best friends. No one makes me happier or makes me laugh like he does.

So what have I learned?

- Marrying someone who loves God more than he loves you.
- Make sure he is God fearing as well, because a man that truly fears God will not do anything to hurt you
- Marrying someone with a really good sense of humor. They can make you see the humor in things that you take so seriously. They really help to humble you too because they make you realize how ridiculous you are being. and help you learn to laugh at yourself
- Try to take a trip abroad or do some traveling before getting married, traveling helpes you widen your perspective on life
- Figure out what you want out of life, set goals for yourself and your future husband
- Don't look for someone to make you happy or complete you. Resolve all those issues before you get married. Your husband can't be that father that walked out on your family when you were 7 and he's not the father that beat your mom for 7 years of your life. Your husband is your husband. Love him for who he is and for the man God will make him. Don't expect something else of him. He will not fill that void in your life, he may make it easier to deal with and even help you forget it at times but he will never fill it.
-Learn to forgive for past mistakes and move on. You rob your husband of the possibilities of greater happiness when you hang on to pain from your past and allow it to dictate who you are and what you do now. Call on God and allow him to call you to peace.
- say how you feel, but not with the intent to hurt. sometimes I couldn't separate how hurt I was from the mean things I wanted to say, so I would tell him that I needed some time to sort out my feelings. I would try to get at the root of what was bothering me without generalizing. then we would sit and talk.

- DO NOT GO TO BED ANGRY. Make peace, it makes for a good's night sleep.

- learn what you like and dislike before you get married. define your personlity but don't be stuck in your ways, especially when it would be in your best interest to change for the better. but learn who you are
- don't be afraid to admit when you are wrong and be excited about making changes in your personality. God has this image of the woman and wife he wants you to become and he's ready and willing to mold you, but when you refuse to make changes especially when it's apparent that you need to you're pushing away God's hand and you put yourself farther and farther away from the woman and wife he knows you can become.
- treat your husband like a king. and you'll always be his queen. Pamper him, dote on him, spoil him. He deserves it. And if he's a goood man, he'll treat you the same and then some. and you'll feel so good doing it. Trust me, it's so much fun.
- remember that money and material things are not everything. Never live beyond your means. SPending all your time working and spending trying to chase some "american dream". People will have you believe that having a big home and a nice car and a certain type of job, a lavish wedding, a certain size wedding ring is true happiness, that you really don't have it all. But if you are loved, adored and cherished, even just by one person. You have it all. That is peace, that is happiness, that is success, THAT is priceless.

Great post~ It was God that led you to that room to hear your husbands prayer. :yep:

Zaynab;6425531I'm telling said:
Yeah, there is a ton of irony in this statement.

For ladies who aren't married, that get bored quickly, I warn you because this behavior will get real boring real fast.

Very enlightening thread especially for me who's still fairly a newlywed

Opulence,
This is definitely on time. I have really been blessed by your testimony.

Back