Is Being Beautiful a Curse?

I have a problem with that. If I'm not responsible for your insecurity; why should I be responsible for your comfort level?

Again, it's not fair that I should have to suffer because I'm not outgoing. Seriously, it's annoying that anyone should have to accomodate someone else due to something that they cannot control (in this case, beauty). Not only is it an inconvenience to the reserved person, it also serves as an enabling mechanism, so that the person on the receiving doesn't have to come to grips with their feelings of inadequacy. Everybody loses.

It's definitely not fair, but that's just life. I would never change the way I dress or intentionally try to look ugly to stop people from hating on me. The only thing you can do is to make sure you're treating everyone with respect. If you do that, the vast majority of people will treat you well and the haters will have to just talk behind your back.

Dressing down does not work because everyone has haters, even ugly people. Women have a tendency to be jealous in general.

the problem is a lot of men think that gorgeous women are taken and most men feel intimidated also so they will not approach that woman.

Seems like this is a hot topic on both sides of the Atlantic.

Saw this in today's Metro (free London morning paper)
Bridge plunge girl 'bullied for being pretty'
Friday, July 17, 2009, 09:59

THE mother of a 15-year-old who fell to her death from a bridge has described how she was tortured by school bullies "because she was pretty" and that a split with her boyfriend might have been the "final straw".
Simone Grice plunged from the bridge over the A30, just around the corner from her home in Illogan, near Redruth, Cornwall, on Monday night.
She was said to be clinging to her mobile phone and a toy doll she had had since she was a toddler.
Her mother, Linda, 45, said her daughter had recently been removed from school after years of abuse by bullies jealous of her good looks. She said the verbal and sometimes physical assaults left her daughter emotionally fragile.
Simone had recently found a boyfriend, her mother added, but was devastated when the relationship ended.
"She was the victim of extreme bullying at school," said the mother-of-three, who lives in Mennaye Gardens, Illogan.
"She was always targeted and it was very intense. They were always looking to beat her up.
"They would spit at her, throw stones at her and call her names. She became very emotional, very fragile.
"We called the school and, eventually, the police many times but it still carried on – incident after incident.
"The school tried to help but it continued for years and, eventually, I had to take her out of school and she was being home-tutored.
"She was a beautiful girl and other girls sometimes have a problem with that. She was picked on because she was pretty.
"But she wasn't just pretty – she was clever and a really nice person. But she was shy and the bullies took advantage of that."
She described seeing her daughter in the afternoon and was aware that something had clearly upset her.
"Something had happened and she was particularly distressed and emotionally distraught.
"She went out without me even realising. She had her whole life ahead of her."
She said that her daughter had got herself a boyfriend but it had ended and that might have been the "final straw".
Simone's body was found at the bottom of the Broad Lane flyover which crosses the A30 at Illogan, not far from her home.
She was found at around 11pm on Monday and police are investigating the circumstances of her death.
Shocked residents have described how they heard voices in the night pleading "Don't do it".
Simone's brother Elliott, 17, and sister Tara, 12, are being comforted by the family.
An inquest is expected to be opened and adjourned today.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, from a londonpaper earlier this week (A column is written by a reader each day):

Akua Amoako says sisters don’t stick together...

> thelondonpaper columnist at 14/7/2009 10:47 AM BST

A question that I will put to the ladies: have you ever been on the receiving end of an icy stare from a female, or have you even given one?

Songs about “girl power” appear to be redundant in the real world. It seems that the only appreciation we women get is from men. For example, I have regularly witnessed the reaction when a pretty woman boards the Tube. All of a sudden the other females go into critical mode and start eyeing up their “competition”. Some even snicker or make catty comments to their friends.

Even worse, you will find that the less secure women hold on to their men for dear life – like they have just been thrown off the Titanic together.

What strikes me as peculiar is women have no *problem appreciating female celebrities (“Oh my gosh, that Keira Knightley is stunning”, “I’d kill for an a*** like J-Lo’s”,etc.). However, when the woman is in front of us, admiration *becomes pure jealousy. (“Who does she think she is? Talk about stuck up...”).

Is it a myth that “sisters stick together”? We have all read those kiss-and-tell stories – the mistresses blame the wives for not looking after their men. We’ve watched those trashy TV shows in which two women beat the living daylights out of each other, while the cheating man just sits there, smiling like a Cheshire cat.

It seems that the only time women are comfortable in the presence of other women is when the other women are less attractive than themselves. How sad.

It can be ever so slightly depressing when you feel that you look a million dollars and turn to see a woman who reduces you to a couple of pence, or if your husband or boyfriend has the sudden urge to leer at a leggy blonde.

But, I say, instead of girl power just being another shameless marketing ploy, let’s put it into action. Next time your man decides to have a peek, you should – *instead of wishing bad things on your fellow “sister” – take a deep breath and think about the features that have led him to “window shop”. You should appreciate them. You could even use them as a basis for self-*improvement. After all, why give other women the *satisfaction of knowing that they look better than you?

Akua, 27, is from London

Last edited:
I don't know if it is a definite answer. As a child i remember girls that were physically attractive often were pointed out and had to deal with outright bullying from other females. I knew a girl in high school that was beautiful and transfered to my high school for a total of maybe 3 wks, she got so much attention, rumors, she couldnt handle it, had few friends, including myself and got out of there, because other people couldn't get passed her looks and her body. I don't know, only time i see it as being diffcult is growing up, but as an adult i don't think it should be considered a "curse". From that point, i think a person perspectives about themselves dictate how they do in life. I think being beautiful will always bring more attention to you, but it shouldn't define a person either to were what other people think about you dictates how you feel about yourself. I dunno, thats my opinion.

Last edited:
Do you think that pretty/beautiful women are cursed?

I know one woman who is extremely pretty yet the men won't approach her and the women seem to hate her. She's actually a great person but no one will give her a chance. Hence my question that women like this never seem to be good enough for either sex. I really don't what to tell her except to just continue to live her life.

Nope. I love it. I ignore all the haters. They don't exist in my world. :lachen:

I don't know if it is a definite answer. As a child i remember girls that were physically attractive often were pointed out and had to deal with outright bullying from other females. I knew a girl in high school that was beautiful and transfered to my high school for a total of maybe 3 wks, she got so much attention, rumors, she couldnt handle it, had few friends, including myself and got out of there, because other people couldn't get passed her looks and her body. I don't know, only time i see it as being diffcult is growing up, but as an adult i don't think it should be considered a "curse". From that point, i think a person perspectives about themselves dictate how they do in life. I think being beautiful will always bring more attention to you, but it shouldn't define a person either to were what other people think about you dictates how you feel about yourself. I dunno, thats my opinion.

These are probably the same women that tortured pretty girls in school, have now moved on into adulthood doing the same thing. I mean they treat her like dirt and she's never done anything to them.

Seems like this is a hot topic on both sides of the Atlantic.

Saw this in today's Metro (free London morning paper)
Bridge plunge girl 'bullied for being pretty'
Friday, July 17, 2009, 09:59

THE mother of a 15-year-old who fell to her death from a bridge has described how she was tortured by school bullies "because she was pretty" and that a split with her boyfriend might have been the "final straw".
Simone Grice plunged from the bridge over the A30, just around the corner from her home in Illogan, near Redruth, Cornwall, on Monday night.
She was said to be clinging to her mobile phone and a toy doll she had had since she was a toddler.
Her mother, Linda, 45, said her daughter had recently been removed from school after years of abuse by bullies jealous of her good looks. She said the verbal and sometimes physical assaults left her daughter emotionally fragile.
Simone had recently found a boyfriend, her mother added, but was devastated when the relationship ended.
"She was the victim of extreme bullying at school," said the mother-of-three, who lives in Mennaye Gardens, Illogan.
"She was always targeted and it was very intense. They were always looking to beat her up.
"They would spit at her, throw stones at her and call her names. She became very emotional, very fragile.
"We called the school and, eventually, the police many times but it still carried on – incident after incident.
"The school tried to help but it continued for years and, eventually, I had to take her out of school and she was being home-tutored.
"She was a beautiful girl and other girls sometimes have a problem with that. She was picked on because she was pretty.
"But she wasn't just pretty – she was clever and a really nice person. But she was shy and the bullies took advantage of that."
She described seeing her daughter in the afternoon and was aware that something had clearly upset her.
"Something had happened and she was particularly distressed and emotionally distraught.
"She went out without me even realising. She had her whole life ahead of her."
She said that her daughter had got herself a boyfriend but it had ended and that might have been the "final straw".
Simone's body was found at the bottom of the Broad Lane flyover which crosses the A30 at Illogan, not far from her home.
She was found at around 11pm on Monday and police are investigating the circumstances of her death.
Shocked residents have described how they heard voices in the night pleading "Don't do it".
Simone's brother Elliott, 17, and sister Tara, 12, are being comforted by the family.
An inquest is expected to be opened and adjourned today.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, from a londonpaper earlier this week (A column is written by a reader each day):

Akua Amoako says sisters don’t stick together...

> thelondonpaper columnist at 14/7/2009 10:47 AM BST

A question that I will put to the ladies: have you ever been on the receiving end of an icy stare from a female, or have you even given one?

Songs about “girl power” appear to be redundant in the real world. It seems that the only appreciation we women get is from men. For example, I have regularly witnessed the reaction when a pretty woman boards the Tube. All of a sudden the other females go into critical mode and start eyeing up their “competition”. Some even snicker or make catty comments to their friends.

Even worse, you will find that the less secure women hold on to their men for dear life – like they have just been thrown off the Titanic together.

What strikes me as peculiar is women have no *problem appreciating female celebrities (“Oh my gosh, that Keira Knightley is stunning”, “I’d kill for an a*** like J-Lo’s”,etc.). However, when the woman is in front of us, admiration *becomes pure jealousy. (“Who does she think she is? Talk about stuck up...”).

Is it a myth that “sisters stick together”? We have all read those kiss-and-tell stories – the mistresses blame the wives for not looking after their men. We’ve watched those trashy TV shows in which two women beat the living daylights out of each other, while the cheating man just sits there, smiling like a Cheshire cat.

It seems that the only time women are comfortable in the presence of other women is when the other women are less attractive than themselves. How sad.

It can be ever so slightly depressing when you feel that you look a million dollars and turn to see a woman who reduces you to a couple of pence, or if your husband or boyfriend has the sudden urge to leer at a leggy blonde.

But, I say, instead of girl power just being another shameless marketing ploy, let’s put it into action. Next time your man decides to have a peek, you should – *instead of wishing bad things on your fellow “sister” – take a deep breath and think about the features that have led him to “window shop”. You should appreciate them. You could even use them as a basis for self-*improvement. After all, why give other women the *satisfaction of knowing that they look better than you?

Akua, 27, is from London

This is just horrible, I'm over hear tearing up

I don't know if it is a definite answer. As a child i remember girls that were physically attractive often were pointed out and had to deal with outright bullying from other females.

I remember this happening in first grade. I got into a fight protecting another first grader from a third grader because the first grader was pretty, shy and little, with long curly reddish brown hair.

^^^Go FluffyRed. Someone like you stood up for me when I was in grade school. I am still grateful to her to this day.

I don't think it's a curse. It's an asset, especially for women. The thing is, like any gift, it can be a detriment to the person blessed with it, if they are fragile or other aspects of their personalities aren't developed to balance it out.

Think of some of those genius kids, who end up as burnt out slackers because they were pushed too hard, or ostracised by peers, or didn't develop social skills or a social life, etc.

Think of MJ, with his incredible precocious talent as a child, and how messed up he turned out.

The thing is, any gift that is adored and coveted by human beings will bring the owner a lot of attention, both positive and negative. Some people roll with that, take advantage of it, relish it, thrive. Others crumble beneath it.
------------

That said, would someone send the curse my way? A fabulously beautiful woman has a leg up. A big chunk of the work in getting on in life is already done for her. She just has to finish the job - if she applies X amount of effort, charm, talent, etc to the task, chances are she will get farther ahead than an average or unattractive woman who does the same.

I think in highly technical, male-dominated fields it is a detriment to be conventionally attractive. I've seen many times where clever and successful 'beautiful' women get demeaned and talked down to by older men in my area. Either that or hit on:ohwell:

She is friendly, it's just some people make really stark judgments about her. I told her to just continue being yourself and some people will see you for what you are.

Then those people are probably just judgmental to begin with. People get judged all the time for a myriad of reasons: too pretty, too tall, too fat, too slim. I hope your friend does not let the ignorance of others shake her confidence or make her uncomfortable. She sounds like a really kind and genuine person, so it's their problem, not hers.

As far a relationships are concerned, I see plenty of gorgeous women with troll looking dudes. :ohwell: Part of me thinks that if a man sees a woman that he is truly interested in he will approach, even if he is clearly not in her league.

Well keep your head up girl and continue to be the best YOU you can be. **** the rest!

Some folks love it when a beautiful girl/woman has low self worth and doesnt think she's pretty. It's like she's cool because she doesnt realize how pretty she is and everybody likes her. But let that same girl have an air of confidence and JUST KNOWS she's pretty (not cocky or conceited) but carries herself well. Those same folks will hate her.

Muahahaaha THIS is the story of my life, and I too am very shy when I get around people. My SO always tells me I need to speak up when I go to his little functions but it's so hard and I try, I really do.

n38876351756_37.jpg

excuse my beauty

I guess I may be too left field but no one is really that beautiful to have it as a curse..only self-absored ppl have this issues..what ever is inside a person comes out..a person may meet society standards but isn't beautiful at all..and Im not even talking religiously either

I don't think it is a curse, you just have to watch the people around you closely because beautiful people tend to attract a lot of superficiality

Honey its a double edged sword...My word.

...see Dalida, marylin Monroe, and others.

Some men will approach a beautiful women just to concquer her nothing more and leave , others to have you as their trophy. Ice seen it heard it and yes I'm referring to a bunch of disturbed men. There are pros and cons jmho.

Wow, I totally forgot that I began this thread :lachen:but I wanted to thank everyone for their responses. At the time I didn't really know what the "thanks button" was for but thanks.

Oh its definitely a blessing especially when you have an outgoing personality and you know how to use it to your advantage with men and women, thats key. You have to know how to disarm women and allow them to see you as a friend rather then a threat and to make men feel like they're important and captivate them.

If you know how to use it to your advantage, it can be a great blessing. Just like anything in life, its what you make of it:yep:

I don't know about pretty or ugly. I don't think pretty woman are cursed. Of course we can say everyone has their advantages and disadvantages. Plus, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So are we discussing what society generally holds to be "beautiful" and you fit that mold. I would have to know what we are considering pretty.You could possible have problems with ppl using you or not taking you seriously. But that could happen to anyone.

Back