I Don’t Date Men With Kids

No. It’s really not worth it for you or the mans kids if your heart is not in it. The only serious guy I dated with kids ended up springing 3 on me after I fell for him. Dude decided to foster his deadbeat brothers kids. They hated my guts and nearly drove me to a nervous breakdown.

My husband is younger than me and did not come with the baggage of kids. It was sooo nice. I never wanted any either but we promised each other that we would not bring any step parents into the picture if an accident happened and either of us died or we divorced lol.

I respect women who admit that they don’t want the baggage. It can be so damaging for children when women accept the men but not the children.

That’s my preference when it comes to dating. I have my reasons but it really doesn’t matter because at the end of the day I know what I can and can’t live with. A couple of friends are telling me that I’m asking for too much and need to lower my standards. They say it’s unrealistic because most men my age (34) have at least one child. I told them I don’t care. There’s always younger men. :lol: I don’t think I’m asking for too much. I’m quite a catch (if I say so myself:lol:) and managed to make it to this point with no baby daddy or ex-husband. I’m a unicorn and yet I exist! :lol: I’m sure I can find at least ONE man out there who’ll fit the criteria. Am I being unrealistic?

I wouldn't date a man with kids either, for reasons mentioned in this thread.

Not interested in planning dates around a single dad's custody arrangement and waiting for an evening or weekend when he doesn't have his kid(s).

Not interested in spending my evening, my weekend, or a holiday with a man and his kid(s) or going with a man to his kid's recital, game, birthday party, etc.

Potential awkwardness or stress caused by interaction with the kids or their mother.

Or dealing with a widower's grief and memories.

I would feel so bad for the kids, packing & unpacking a suitcase to go back & forth between their parents' homes, having that family unit broken, probably wishing that their parents would get back together.

You just described my 2017. Sheesh. :lachen: The kids didnt go back and forth often, but when they did it was sad waving bye. It looks dreadful seeing it in black and white.

Ever since this thread, I've met nothing but 32+ y.o men without kids. Lol. They exist.....at least out of the US. The tough part for me is filtering the ones who still want them. :look:

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with this! My BF is 38 and childless. His brother is 35 and childless. But they both fit a stereotype. My BF is a computer programmer/nerd and his brother is an outdoor enthusiast. His brother's closest friends are childless as well. What we all have in common is that our parents were over 30 when we were born.

One area where you're more likely to find childless men is in the outdoors community if you're into that type of stuff (hiking, camping, boating). Those guys usually remain childless until they are ready to settle down in their mid to late 30s. There are surprisingly plenty of black men in that community but very few black women which could work to your advantage if you're a nature lover.

My dh told me when we were dating that he would never seriously date a woman who had kids. He felt like he deserved more and didn't want to deal with that type of situation. He was never criticized for having set these standards and he never apologized for it either. You don't have to settle. Just expand your dating pool in other ways.

One area where you're more likely to find childless men is in the outdoors community if you're into that type of stuff (hiking, camping, boating). Those guys usually remain childless until they are ready to settle down in their mid to late 30s. There are surprisingly plenty of black men in that community but very few black women which could work to your advantage if you're a nature lover.

Really???? That's interesting! Why do you think that is?

Awesome!! Do you mean men who still want kids?

Yeah. The few that reached out to me, I think some still want kids or possibly wants kids. Its one thing to wake up and change your mind after we've been together a while, its quite another to still have hope and maybe even laying that hope of children on me. I already dealt with one guy who hoped to change my mind...no thanks. I prefer to get involved with men who don't want kids.

Nothing wrong with this! My BF is 38 and childless. His brother is 35 and childless. But they both fit a stereotype. My BF is a computer programmer/nerd and his brother is an outdoor enthusiast. His brother's closest friends are childless as well. What we all have in common is that our parents were over 30 when we were born.

How fitting. That's exactly the environments I've been in. I've been checking out different hiking adventures around Spain/Canary Islands and Portugal mostly doing trails that are no more than a few hours long. Its been overwhelmingly Spanish, German and white English men, but my bestie and I met two black guys with their sister today. One was interested in her, childless, 34 and single at least according to him. He lived in the midwest, so it may not work as she's from the NE, but yeah...most of the men I've met in the last week or so or even ones that hit me up on a dating app have been childless. Again, I'm in a foreign country, so majority of them are not black, but a few were mixed. My dating profile also shows I'm a bit of an outdoorsy woman (photos on different trails in addition to cutesy dresses and such) when I want to be, so maybe that too is attracting that type.

Thank you! What has your experience been dating single fathers?

Chile....:lachen:

It took me a minute to respond because I had to think about several experiences that I wanted to share. And I have to go back and find some other members' posts to reiterate my points also. Like this one:

Not interested in planning dates around a single dad's custody arrangement and waiting for an evening or weekend when he doesn't have his kid(s).

Not interested in spending my evening, my weekend, or a holiday with a man and his kid(s) or going with a man to his kid's recital, game, birthday party, etc.

Potential awkwardness or stress caused by interaction with the kids or their mother.

I've definitely had to work around these types of scenarios and it isn't fun. And even when he doesn't have his kids, something can and usually does go wrong. I remember my ex getting a phone call one evening from his ex. She was telling him one of the kids ran out of asthma medicine and she didn't have money to get his prescription refilled. So he had to interrupt what we were doing to go take care of that situation for her.

I've also been in a situation where a guy was planning a weekend getaway for us. I had been looking forward to this getaway and spending time with him since we hadn't seen each other in a while (we talked every day on the phone). Well, when Friday came, he called and said he would have to cancel our plans because something came up with his kids. I was so disappointed. I had my bag packed and was ready to go after I got off work. I ended up breaking it off with him because I just couldn't keep dealing with those types of issues and disappointments. I was in my twenties then.

Then there was yet another guy who had a baby (I've mentioned him in a thread or two before). I also met him in my twenties, before I met the guy above. Well, his daughter was about 8 months old and he constantly had to field calls from the child's mother about some issue. Or he would call her if there was a problem. I promise I'm not making this up...he called her to find out how the baby got a yeast infection, then they were arguing about other stuff. I also felt like they both still had feelings for each other, so I ended up parting ways with him also, because of all that, but there were other reasons, too.

And this one:
Nope. I don't want a man with kids either. It's my personal preference and the men I've dated don't have kids. I want us to have our firsts together. Nothing wrong with that

I totally agree with this, and ideally, this is how things would have worked out for me if I had decided to pass on the men I chose to date that had kids.

Which brings me to this reply....

That’s honestly the biggest problem for me. Having a child is such a life changing experience and creates a strong and unique bond with the person you go through it with. There’s nothing like the first time. Nothing. I want us both being unsure of what’s gonna happen but being excited, being ignorant of that whole process and learning together, and experiencing that magical momemt of seeing your first child together. If I get a man who’s had kids before I have a feeling he’ll slip and say something like: “When so and so was pregnant this didn’t happen to her or we did this thing and it helped”. And I will want to kill him at that point! It’s best to get a man who’s never gone through it either.

This happened to me. My ex kept telling me about his ex's experiences being pregnant with his other 2 kids during both of my pregnancies when I was with him. It irritated me to no end.

I was tired of hearing about what cravings she had, how sick she was or what she did after they were born, etc. every time I went through the same things.

He was even trying to force me to go back to work right after I had our first child together and not take maternity leave, saying he would stay home with our son instead. I said absolutely not. This is my time to be with my child and be a mother, so I told him he could miss me with that.

Then he started up with "well, the boys' mom went back to work a week or two after she had them and she was fine." I told him, "that's good for her, but I already told you I'M NOT DOING THAT."

Then there was another time when the hospital records clerk came by with the paperwork for us to fill out for the baby's birth certificate, etc. She was saying she needed them filled out and signed by both parents by 5:00 that particular day in order for the father's name to get added to the birth certificate at no cost.
Otherwise, we would have to wait until after I got discharged and go to the health department office of vital records to fill out the paperwork and pay for it there. I was trying to avoid having to do all of that since I had enough to worry about during that time with breastfeeding, pumping and our son being in the NICU.

So anyway, I called him to find out when he would be able to make it back to the hospital and of course it wasn't going to be before 5. I explained the situation and ya'll know what came next....:

"We didn't have to do any of that with
Son 1 and Son 2 when me and their mom were together." I was so angry I wanted to reach through the phone, rip his tongue out and stab him.

I told him they probably didn't have to go through all of that because they were married, and now was not the time. I was so angry and upset over that that I cried.

He apologized but the damage had already been done.

I didn't have to deal with comparisons when I had my youngest child (different father) but he has had to cancel or rearrange plans with me to accommodate his other kids sometimes.

It's also a pain in the :censored: trying to keep up with which week/weekend they have their kids and planning around that. And if the kids are heavy into sports and other extracurricular activities, forget it. Your time together is cut even further. That's been the case with some of the men I've been involved with, too.

Last edited:
:lol: All my divorced/single mom friends say this. They absolutely do not plan on pushing out more kids, although I think if the *right* man (i.e. husband) asked, they might. Might.

Not I....said the cat. :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:. Homie would have to find somebody else at this point in my life cause I tapped out after my youngest. I'll see him next lifetime. :lachen:

ETA: I do have one friend who has had a child early (her son just graduated HS) and she has said for the longest time that she would only consider having more kids if she was married. Not in a relationship, but she needed him to be committed to her and the family unit. She said she couldn't and wouldn't be a single mom again.

I wonder if she still feels the same way. Right now she is enjoying the empty nest so I doubt it. :lachen:

:lol: All my divorced/single mom friends say this. They absolutely do not plan on pushing out more kids, although I think if the *right* man (i.e. husband) asked, they might. Might.
Most mothers I know that remarried under 40 re-opened the shop for at least one more with the new husband when things looked like they were going to be stable. In loving homes, babies tend to bring couples closer together.

Not I....said the cat. :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:. Homie would have to find somebody else at this point in my life cause I tapped out after my youngest. I'll see him next lifetime. :lachen:

ETA: I do have one friend who has had a child early (her son just graduated HS) and she has said for the longest time that she would only consider having more kids if she was married. Not in a relationship, but she needed him to be committed to her and the family unit. She said she couldn't and wouldn't be a single mom again.

I wonder if she still feels the same way. Right now she is enjoying the empty nest so I doubt it. :lachen:

Yeah, the two I'm thinking of have pre-teens so it's getting close to outright "no" at this point. :lol: I think it'll be complete hard passes by high school though.

The oldest planned on more children but her ex-husband was acting a fool so she ditched him, just hasn't found a good replacement. The younger of the two would love to foster or adopt but wants no parts of pregnancy.

He apologized but the damage had already been done.
:bighug:
Thank you so much for sharing your story. It couldn’t have been easy. You were angry and rightly so. Hearing it straight from someone who lived through it is eye opening. I can’t believe how far he went with all the comparisons. It’s human nature to compare but this dude seemed shameless about it. Probably one of the reasons he’s an ex. What you went through is what I’m trying to avoid. Your hindsight is my foresight. It reminds me of one of my favorite sayings: “Experience is a great teacher. Other people’s experience is an even better teacher.” You’ve given me an invaluable gift and I won’t let it go to waste. Thank you.

:bighug:
Thank you so much for sharing your story. It couldn’t have been easy. You were angry and rightly so. Hearing it straight from someone who lived through it is eye opening. I can’t believe how far he went with all the comparisons. It’s human nature to compare but this dude seemed shameless about it. Probably one of the reasons he’s an ex. What you went through is what I’m trying to avoid. Your hindsight is my foresight. It reminds me of one of my favorite sayings: “Experience is a great teacher. Other people’s experience is an even better teacher.” You’ve given me an invaluable gift and I won’t let it go to waste. Thank you.

You're most welcome...I'm glad my story can help you! This is such a kind post....so I thank you also, my fellow LHCF sister. :bighug:

Yes, there are so many reasons why he is an ex, and that was one of them. I am still trying to heal myself from being in that relationship with him. I think the only good things that came out of that relationship were my first 2 kids.

Last edited:
Most mothers I know that remarried under 40 re-opened the shop for at least one more with the new husband when things looked like they were going to be stable. In loving homes, babies tend to bring couples closer together.
That’s what I noticed with friends in that category as well. One of them swore off kids after having 4 out of wedlock. She got married to a whole new dude and is pregnant with #5. I laughed so hard when I found out.

Millennials aren't having children in the numbers previous generations did so you straight. :look:

I meant to say something about this earlier, too but I was so wrapped up in reading the responses first that I forgot to multiquote a lot of posts I wanted to respond to.

When I was in massage school years ago, one of my classmates was a little younger than me, and we were both recently married. One of our older classmates had asked us lots of questions about kids and when we were going to have them. She told us not to wait too long, but the thing that stuck out the most is when she said there are fewer and fewer young couples having children now, and if the trend continues, we weren't going to have much of a workforce in the next 20 or 30 years.

I meant to say something about this earlier, too but I was so wrapped up in reading the responses first that I forgot to multiquote a lot of posts I wanted to respond to.

When I was in massage school years ago, one of my classmates was a little younger than me, and we were both recently married. One of our older classmates had asked us lots of questions about kids and when we were going to have them. She told us not to wait too long, but the thing that stuck out the most is when she said there are fewer and fewer young couples having children now, and if the trend continues, we weren't going to have much of a workforce in the next 20 or 30 years.
For good reason. Raising a child is terribly expensive, Millennials aren't able to buy houses like Boomers were at our age. :look: I have zero patience for older people usually Boomers trying to probe Millennials on when we're having children. When you ask some of these same Boomers how they feel about subsidized child care, Medicare-for-All or free community college tuition are staunchly against them. o_O

For good reason. Raising a child is terribly expensive, Millennials aren't able to buy houses like Boomers were at our age. :look: I have zero patience for older people usually Boomers trying to probe Millennials on when we're having children. When you ask some of these same Boomers how they feel about subsidized child care, Medicare-for-All or free community college tuition are staunchly against them. o_O

Church!!!!! And the woman that was asking us was pushing close to 50, past child-bearing age and chose not to have any, and was on her third husband. They had dogs instead.

I saw a report on 20/20 a long time ago talking about how fewer Millenials are going to college nowadays as well.

Last edited:
Its crazy that some of these boomers feel a certain way considering how a good portion of them can barely afford to retire. Why would their children who can barely afford anything add kids to the mix. Then they're going to be broke raising kids and when their parents are no longer able to work, then they will be also be taking care of their parents. It's a lot. I'm not surprised that you see less couples having kids and there are also less people getting married...heck there are articles that say millenials are even having less sex, though that seems hard to believe.

With the US trying to take away more protections, people are wise to take their time.

Its crazy that some of these boomers feel a certain way considering how a good portion of them can barely afford to retire. Why would their children who can barely afford anything add kids to the mix. Then they're going to be broke raising kids and when their parents are no longer able to work, then they will be also be taking care of their parents. It's a lot. I'm not surprised that you see less couples having kids and there are also less people getting married...heck there are articles that say millenials are even having less sex, though that seems hard to believe.

With the US trying to take away more protections, people are wise to take their time.

A lot of them want to be grandparents and collect grandchildren, no matter what the cost. Even if it doesn't make good sense to the parents, who will have to shoulder the costs. (Financial, emotional, making sacrifices, which may cause resentment, etc.).

When we first met, my ex-husband told me he never dated a woman who had kids and didn't ever plan to. He also said he was not ready to have a child when we were together, but of course, I was. That was also extremely hurtful. Anyway, after we got married it seemed his stance did not change until his mom started to lean on him about grandchildren. She was about to lose her eyesight completely in a matter of time and wanted to be able to see her grandchildren before that happened.

But his actions anytime we discussed children or the possibility that I might be pregnant were very telling. This caused us to fight a lot and ended up being one of the reasons I told him I didn't want to be married anymore.

It's human instinct to want to procreate, however, nothing in this country's current political, economic culture seems to recognize it. Maybe it's on purpose. But the peers I know with multiple children all seem to be on some form of assistance. The rest of us are none or one. It's just too hard financially to carry that burden.

@shortycocoa I’m confused about something. How did you 2 get married if one of you wanted kids but the other didn’t? Did he spring that on you after you were already married?

He always said he wanted kids and liked kids, he just didn't feel like he was ready to have a child when we first met and started dating. I believe I was 28 when we met and he was 27. After we got married, he still "claimed" to want kids, but just felt like there was supposed to be this specific, magical timeline of when it should happen. Everything in his life had to be "right," so to speak.

Well, whenever we discussed these types of things, he could never tell me what that looked like for him. However, from the time we met, I was very upfront and candid about wanting kids but just didn't have any yet. He also knew about my past pregnancy at 18 and how I was forced to terminate the pregnancy against my will. I told him that I was not planning to do that ever again in my life (unless it was medically necessary) and wanted to have children with a man who wanted a wife and kids also. Otherwise, it would have been a deal breaker for me.

He assured me that he wanted those things too, and that we were on the same page. Incidentally, as time progressed, I found that to not be true, based on studying his actions, demeanor and how he moved in certain situations. By that time though, we were already married and in the midst of several marital problems, with this being a major one.

Near the end of the marriage, we had a lot of bad fights in which honesty prevailed and some hard truths became revealed. He continued to deny them, but I saw it for what it was and already knew what it was hitting for.

He assured me that he wanted those things too, and that we were on the same page. Incidentally, as time progressed, I found that to not be true, based on studying his actions, demeanor and how he moved in certain situations. By that time though, we were already married and in the midst of several marital problems, with this being a major one.
That had to hurt. This was a breach of trust.

Back