He took me to McDonald's!!

sj10460

Don't Come for me unless I send for you!
Well, I didn't go, but I'm sure that's what some girl out there shared to one of her girlfriends....A friend of mine wrote this article, Would You Go On A First date to McDonald's ?

The other day my boy, and frequent Clutch contributor (name removed) asked if I would ever go on a first date to McDonald’s. My first response: “You must be smoking that stuff, D!” But after a few jokes, he confessed that while he probably wouldn’t take a date to the Golden Arches, he’d take a potential boo out for cheap eats on the first date.

His question stemmed from Chad Ochocinco and his fiancé Evelyn’s appearance on the Mo’Nique Show. On the show, pro-baller Ochocinco said that after he said some not-so-nice things about Evelyn on Twitter, he wanted to invite her out to apologize. Instead of treating her to a nice restaurant, he took Evelyn to McDonald’s because, as Chad put it, she had to “work her way up to the nice restaurants.”

Typically, people go out of their way to impress a potential match on a first date, but Ochocinco’s idea that one should opt for a more economical option and “work up” to more expensive options is an interesting one.
While I’d give a man the side-eye of life if he pulled up to the Micky Dee’s drive-thru on our first date, I wouldn’t think twice if he found a more interesting option that offered cheap, and tasty fare (an off-beat taco tuck after a stroll through an art museum for instance).
Would you go to McDonald’s, or an equally cheap place, on a first date?

This thread is timed so perfectly. My 15 year old niece came home upset yesterday because her date took her to Ihop. :lol:

For me, I'm not sure. If it was a silly "haha, i'm taking you to McDonald's as a first date" situation, then I'd go, but if the guy was being serious, I'd order food and go home. Fast food = fast date.

Well I like burgers and dont really care long as I'm not paying; though I wouldnt considr that a date, more like a meetup. Now if he makes a habit out of it then no bueno. Step up your game and take me to Popeyes or something. I love chicken!

How many women is he dating that he has to start them off at some place cheap?

I couldn't go to McDonalds, even if I knew the guy was rich and was trying to be ironic, I don't think I could do it. Like TrueToHair said, why not Starbucks at least it's nice inside.

This article reminds me of this pic from reddit:

small_bringing%20class%20to%20mcdoalds.jpg

^A dude and his friends "Bringing class to McDonalds" :lol:

McDonald's has so many obvious connotations. I understand wanting to keep it simple at first, but why not meet at a coffee shop? It's chill, inexpensive, and still has a pleasant ambiance. That's what I would suggest.
Exactly what I was going to come in here and share. Starbucks is probably in the same price range but a much better option than McDonalds.

Fast food of any kind is a no-no on a first date. NO ONE has ever tried me in that way and I would be very "uncooperative" if they did. You pull up at McDonald's and the date is ova...lose my number.

I don't expect the $40 entree place on the first date but I also don't expect be ordering a #4 either. go to a nice coffee shop and sip tea while listening to jazz.

Why even go to a restaurant at all? A picnic of wine and cheese etc would cost about the same and would have better ambience.
If a man wanted to take me to McDonald's as a first date, I'd be insulted. It's either he's cheap or if he thinks like Ochocinco, arrogant as hell.

I expect at least a $40 entree on our first "dinner" date. $80 on a meal is really not that big of a deal. If he can't afford then he needs not be dating.

But if he wants to "feel me out" I'm ok with a coffee shop or a bar with drinks.

I don't expect the $40 entree place on the first date but I also don't expect be ordering a #4 either. go to a nice coffee shop and sip tea while listening to jazz.

would not mind at all. as I have grown in age and as a person i realize all of the extras really don't account for much. I am married but in retrospect some of the best dates ( in my early twenties) were to cheap venues. in retrospect many of those guys are now very successful and the other trying to impress....well they are still trying to impress. (real chicken tenders, fries and a large ice tea are my DH and I 'go t"o road trip meal for the car!!!! dont judge me!!!! :)

Chad is an idiot...who would base anything on what he said....comments he make about Eve are not cute and if she wasn't so thirsty maybe she would put him in his place....Boo Boo

Sent from my PG06100 using PG06100

Ummn no. That is unacceptable. In my dating experiences my date would ask me you where I wanted to go. Ev acts so upper echeleon on the show around the other girls but dumb as rocks around Chad. Mcdonalds??? That mess is not cute :nono:

OT: I wonder what "mean not so nice " things he said about Evelyn???

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF

F$$k Ochocinco and his money! I would say it to his face if he tried that s$$t with me and I don't even curse! N$$?as are real bold these days! Some of these bamas with money are equivalent to pigs with lipstick on!

“work her way up to the nice restaurants.”

I'm a firm believer in this policy and I treat a man the same way when it comes to sexual treats.

Sorry, my best has to be earned and I don't mind if he feels that way!!!

No. I know my worth.

I know a guy who uses this "you have to work your way up" philosophy and personally I find it demeaning and disrespectful. I go out with guys who know better than that.

I like a nice date, but the whole point is to get to know someone, not to show off wealth.

That being said, I would expect a man to take me on a date at the level he's accustomed to living.

I want neither the poor man who starts at a 4 star restaurant to show off but whose foolish money way forces us to live a dollar store lifestyle; nor the rich man who treats me as a dog earning treats.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

would not mind at all. as I have grown in age and as a person i realize all of the extras really don't account for much. I am married but in retrospect some of the best dates ( in my early twenties) were to cheap venues. in retrospect many of those guys are now very successful and the other trying to impress....well they are still trying to impress. (real chicken tenders, fries and a large ice tea are my DH and I 'go t"o road trip meal for the car!!!! dont judge me!!!! :)

The expense is not the issue to me- It's just tacky. If money is a problem, why can't he take me for coffee?
No judgement on you and your DH's road trip meal. You're married!! I also don't mind a whopper or some hot wings with a SO.....just don't get me a fillet-o-fish on our FIRST DATE!

Fast food of any kind is a no-no on a first date. NO ONE has ever tried me in that way and I would be very "uncooperative" if they did. You pull up at McDonald's and the date is ova...lose my number.

LMAO

I like a nice date, but the whole point is to get to know someone, not to show off wealth.

That being said, I would expect a man to take me on a date at the level he's accustomed to living.

I want neither the poor man who starts at a 4 star restaurant to show off but whose foolish money way forces us to live a dollar store lifestyle; nor the rich man who treats me as a dog earning treats.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

LOVE THIS POST! My sentiments exactly.

This thread is timed so perfectly. My 15 year old niece came home upset yesterday because her date took her to Ihop. :lol:

For me, I'm not sure. If it was a silly "haha, i'm taking you to McDonald's as a first date" situation, then I'd go, but if the guy was being serious, I'd order food and go home. Fast food = fast date.

That sounds appropriate for her age.

i know i'm late, but Evelyn is an idiot if she allowed OCHO whatevadaphuck to take her to Mickie D's, then tell her she has to work her way up to the nicer restaurants after she done put up wif his bullshyt, then he turns around n dumps her anyway. ]

he needs to be broken down and horsewhipped naked.

LadyChe - girl, imma give u a ^5 for that post, a boomshakalaka, two snaps and a circle chile cuz u ain't neva lied! your post was on point!

Any woman who is cool with "working her way up" to nice restaraunts is damned fool. I wish a man would tell me I need to climb the ladder....

This is one of the reasons why I like to drive myself to wherever our date is going to be held, or at least follow the guy in his car. It might seem like a waste of gas to some, but if something ever goes down then I can at least get in my car and drive back home.

I hope that was a dumb joke. You must be kidding me. It's not even the cost so much as it is the message that is conveyed with taking someone to McDonald's specifically. Like "you aren't worth my money or my thought." It's like leaving the waitress a two penny tip. It's insulting, really.

It's not the money spent, it's the idea that spending time with you should be an occasion, even if it's very informal. Anyone who thinks McD is something special has no business dating.

It's not the money spent, it's the idea that spending time with you should be an occasion, even if it's very informal. Anyone who thinks McD is something special has no business dating.

That's just the thing. People know full well what it means to take a date to McDonald's of all places. It's not that he thinks McDonald's is special. He knows it's not and the point he is trying to convey is "I'm not taking you anywhere special or doing anything special for you, don't get to thinking that you are special." That's the very message intended.

Oh I'd love to go to McDonalds for my first date! I'll tell him to take me to the drive through, order my usual and then he can take me home so I can put him on blast on facebook. I might even start a whole group; cheap-@ss men -- Beware!, and post his face so every one knows. Even better, we can go inside so I can use the wi-fi to make the page while we eat and he can watch me fiddle with my phone and ignore him the whole time!

Then finally, he can lose my number while I get the best story to tell people. Including all of his friends. Hee...

Back