Be Careful With Onlive Love.. See what had happened was....

Xerxes

I've been reading that "Visited SC/Online Romance" thread probably a bit too much. lol So during a slow evening last week, I signed up for blackpeoplemeet.com just to see what it was like. Literally, within one minute of finishing my profile, my mailbox received eager messages and flirts. I was inundated by brothers and even white guys giving me their approval. It's the biggest pick-me-up and I thoroughly enjoyed the attention, but before I could even finish reading my first new message from some man claiming to be a single doctor, a chat window began to buzz on my screen.

At first, I was just a deer caught in headlights unsure if I wanted to chat or not, but feeling particularly intrigued, I answered. We went through the motions of a very brief conversation, swapping names and location info. He said he was in the same city and asked if we could progress to exchanging phone numbers. Because he kept me laughing for the few minutes we chatted online, I agreed and gave him my number. He called me immediately and we talked for another wonderful hour longer. I appreciate a nice, deep masculine voice and he lacked that, he had more of a scratchy comedian's voice which complemented his repertoire of jokes he spat out at record pace.

So he caught me by surprise and I wanted more of him, so we agreed to keep in contact and for the next couple of days he texted me and called me several times per day. I was shocked at his persistence, especially because he said he was a very busy real estate investor/contractor. I knew to wait for evidence and paid little attention to his online profile because he claimed to earn "$200-300K" per year, so I was just hoping to be entertained and was doubtful of everything he stated. However, I wasn't scared of him because he seemed to be emotionally genuine. During one of our marathon 3 hour-long phone convos, he let me overhear him put his son to bed as well as listen as he managed work at one of his home sites.

It didn't take but 3 long phone calls over the course of 3 days to get me to agree to a date. I just wanted to see him in person. So last Saturday night was the night we chose to finally meet. I was uncharacteristically late in getting ready because I had to work late that day, but he nearly worked my last nerve when he showed up an hour late for the date in a company pick up truck with a huge air conditioning unit piled on top. I was just fit to be tied after I directed him to the parking garage for my complex and came out to meet him.

I saw the offending parked truck before I saw him nearly 50 feet away with his back turned to me. I quickly surmised it was his vehicle when I saw "We buy/sell houses cheap" emblazoned across the side of the truck and decided I would not get my designer dress-clad body in that raggedy machine. I could almost smell the sweat from the construction workers emanating from it and I called out to my date so he would turn around as I approached him. He took his time and walked up to me only when I stopped 10 feet away from him. In all of his online photos he was donning shades and a bluetooth, so I begged him to leave them at home and I was pleased to see that he had. He was cute, just not as tall as the 5'10 he claimed, or so it felt in my 3inch heels. Regardless, I decided right then and there, that he was cute enough to be the first guy that it would be difficult to remain celibate with.

I said "hi", so did he and he asked me what I thought about him. I said "you're cute enough for me to drive around" and directed him to my car. We both climbed in and proceeded to have a wonderful date with the expected unexpected mishaps: 1-- He asked me to stop at an atm right after telling me how much he earns each year and how many accounts he has in so many banks; 2-- He made fun of fellow diners at the restaurant we dined in loud enough for them to overhear; 3-- He made plans for a Valentine's night hotel stay and/ or pretended to order concert tickets on his cellphone; 4-- under his directions, he had me drive us to a parking garage, where we talked in the car for 1.5 hours instead of going to a normal safer place like Starbuck's and 5-- He curses just as much as Samuel Jackson.

When he kept trying to get me to promise to do a weekend trip with him, he finally picked up on my hesitation. He's not a dummy and quickly asked me if I was inexperienced. I was driving at the time and was so ready to just kick him out of my car, but I waited a second and told him that I was indeed a virgin at 28, then he proceeded to laugh at me to no end. Then I started laughing, got embarassed and asked him to shut up. He just kept on and said that we could slow it down and that we could just hold each other when we spend the night together because he said he could see us ending up married and having children. He told me all of the things girls hear in highschool to prime them for giving it up and I just nodded instead of saying "n---- please". Truthfully, I'm older now and am very heterosexual; I need to get married asap and end this lusting phase. Being a virgin is cute when you're 18, but as you near 30, it's like a big "loser" sign tacked to your head and behind.

Throughout the night, my date would gaze deeply into my eyes, then my cleavage and rub his knees against my leg under the table. If I hadn't been saved, I could have raped him in my car, no lie. But because of Jesus, I silently repented and acted like I didn't notice a thing. So after getting me to agree to his Valentine's day plans ( I was lying, but hate to hear "baby, please"), we ended the date with a kiss and an embrace. There was no tongue involved, but he held himself up against me and my body responded instantaneously. When he pulled away from me and told me to call him when I got back into my apartment safely, I couldn't stop smelling his scent-- a mixture of cologne and his unique smell.

I gave him a quick call, thanked him and tried to shower his scent off of me. I couldn't nor could I sleep. The next day he was just as talkative as before and we chatted before and after church. I told my friends and family my good news and my family went ape crap. Internet love is a no-no and they reminded me about the hordes of unsolved murders of single women who were last seen with some guy. I reevaluated what he told me about himself and realized I knew nothing concrete about him including his name. I promised my worried family that I would try not to end up a victim and would end the relationship. He called me late Sunday night and started off so wrong--"Baby, I ain't never gonna let you go. You've run off all of those other brothers, but I'm here to stay, you ain't gettin' rid of me." I swear I almost peed on myself, I asked him to explain and he just laughed and said he was trying to be sexy. I told him I needed some facts about him so I could start to trust him, he balked and complained. He rapidly accused someone of putting thoughts into my head about him and advised me to stop telling other people about "us" because they didn't want to see me happy.

Continuation from above...

"Baby, look here, everytime a black woman meets a good man, her friends and family scare her away and tell her he ain't s***. You need to make your own decisions and stop telling people everything. I'm a good man. I work hard and I want us to be together so we can start our future. If you want, we can slow down."

I liked the idea of slowing down, but still wanted him to atleast tell me one thing about him that could be easily verified (when he graduated from college, his company's website, etc). He kept talking over an hour, but refrained from any specifics, but I reminded him of how he said he used to play for certain college and pro football teams, he reassured me he had and begged me to calm down and suggested we talk tomorrow. We said goodnight and then this morning, I became an inch-high private eye and checked out the rosters for the teams he claimed to have been on. I could not find his name affiliated with any team for any year. I felt relieved and decided to concentrate on dating other geeks in my field instead of random internet guys. The hard part was breaking up with the date.

I texted him, asking him a bogus simple question--"What kind of car do you drive". His reply-- "Why?" We played tag with him remaining on defense the whole time, so we ended it on the phone.

He got loud and fussed at me about being the first woman ever to try to pry into his personal life and he had a son to protect. I remained calm and asked him to tell me one fact that could prove any of the stuff he told me about him (i.e. the football stuff, his graduation date, even show me a driver's license). He screamed like a squealed pig and I waited for him to run out of breath and suggested that I was bad for him and that he should be with someone else. I was so scared he would try to say something scary like he wouldn't go away, but I think when I mentioned I checked his records at the college he claims, he realized there was no way to fix that and agreed we should leave each other alone.

I felt so much better when we broke up, but I do pray he leaves me alone. I was stupid to let him come to my complex and he got way too possessive of me and my time too soon. I felt like I was in a lifetime movie last night when he kept trying to get me to ignore my family's advice. I'm nearly tired of dating and a little frustrated emotionally and physically. God will provide the right man, but I'm confused as to why my body reacted so profoundly to the date. I have never been that physically attracted to a man. I swear it's because I could tell he was experienced and patient enough to get what he wants physically.

I'll admit there's another guy I've been neglecting from match.com who my parents are more likely to approve of who teaches at a nearby university in my field. He seems really sweet, trustworthy and dull, but his pic is amazingly cute. During one of our convos, he already told me what he wants out of a wife, but at this stage, I know men just talk about a possible marriage to butter you up, so I'd rather just have a great makeout session with him than be lied to.

So I'm not giving up on men, but I am no longer using the internet for a date. The professor will be the last one and I am going to meet him in daylight with security cameras present in a safe place. I do end relationships sort of quickly, but I have to since men like to put the bedroom pressure on and then the arguments start. So I hope the prof is indeed as sweet as he seems and takes his time. :)

I said "hi", so did he and he asked me what I thought about him. I said "you're cute enough for me to drive around" and directed him to my car. We both climbed in and proceeded to have a wonderful date with the expected unexpected mishaps: 1-- He asked me to stop at an atm right after telling me how much he earns each year and how many accounts he has in so many banks; 2-- He made fun of fellow diners at the restaurant we dined in loud enough for them to overhear; 3-- He made plans for a Valentine's night hotel stay and/ or pretended to order concert tickets on his cellphone; 4-- under his directions, he had me drive us to a parking garage, where we talked in the car for 1.5 hours instead of going to a normal safer place like Starbuck's and 5-- He curses just as much as Samuel Jackson.

This would have been enough for me. The other stuff would have never happened b /c I would have left...lol.

Men will do what you let them do. A proper guy will not start talking to you about sex the first time you meet him. I'm just saying it's the old adage "You teach people how to treat you." Even though it was only a few days, it was a few days too long, in my opinion. But I am so glad you saw the light sooner rather than later. As unfortunate as it is, you really do have to be picky these days.

As far as why your body responded to him - God made you that way.

This would have been enough for me. The other stuff would have never happened b /c I would have left...lol.

Men will do what you let them do. A proper guy will not start talking to you about sex the first time you meet him. I'm just saying it's the old adage "You teach people how to treat you." Even though it was only a few days, it was a few days too long, in my opinion. But I am so glad you saw the light sooner rather than later. As unfortunate as it is, you really do have to be picky these days.

As far as why your body responded to him - God made you that way.

You are so right, men will do what you let them and God did make me this way! LOL

I'm seriously starting to feel too old for this dating game. I've been saying "no" for so many years I've lost count. I never fully trust anyone but I liked him most because of his great humor/personality and the way he would soften when mentioning his son. My attraction to him was a surprise bonus and I look forward to being more cautious and feeling the same chemistry for the right guy.

It's such a pity that dating doesn't get simpler and I have to continually play goalie to my heart/pants. lmao

There are so many red flags in your story about this Guy somehow he was able to get you to do exactly what he wanted you to do.I'm glad your family got a hold of you and you are safe.Honestly this guy has been to in your car and at your house,sis you got to be more careful then that.I have a daugther that is twenty and while reading your story I just felt dread and panic.Please Please please take it much slower next time. Meet during the day ,take the lead and certainly don't bring them to your house.If I'm not mistaken the "sc/online" the OP is a cop.You are truly blessed that this man didn't try to rape you or worse.
Now as for your body and attraction.1. your a woman and you are attracted to him 2you sound like your ready to give up your V card due to age.3. because of the way he was able to manipulate you, you sound desperate.Men can spot a desperate woman,I'm not trying to be mean but please slow down.

I'm glad you realize it was stupid to let him come to your apartment. It was also stupid for you to go in a parking garage to just sit there and chat. Anything could have happened. He didn't want to go to starbucks cause he couldn't get in your pants in there. Don't write internet dating off. There are a few diamonds in the rough.

Nice points, you sound like my mom. But when I think about dating, I realize that it is totally unsafe. At some point, you will be in his car and therefore under his control, regardless of how you have met him.

I'll admit, I was unnecessarily carefree and curious and should have vetted him thoroughly prior to meeting him. I'm just as guilty as McCain in that sense, but I was not desperate. I purposefully selected him because of the chemistry we had online and on the phone. He was way different from my typical dates and I just wanted to see what he was about. Desperation implies lack of options and that simply wasn't the case.

Also, I don't regret the date. I made that mistake willfully. I needed to go through that experience because despite his bad qualities, he was more enjoyable than several of the other guys I've met at work who look good on paper and he gave me some insight into what I desire romantically. I'm thankful that I'm safe and that I learned a lesson that I will keep with me-- meet at a public neutral space until he can be trusted. In fact, we were supposed to meet at the theater earlier in the day, but he ended up coming so late, he suggested meeting at my place. I should have cancelled, but I chose not to.

I just pray that you aren't like my folks and try to put the fear of every man into your daughter. Don't scare her away from the idea of love due to your own fears. Any man she meets, regardless of how, could be an abuser/murderer or her future wonderful husband. Just remind her you love her and keep the lines of communication open so that she feels ok in giving you details on the men in her life so that you can at least know that much.

I'm glad you realize it was stupid to let him come to your apartment. It was also stupid for you to go in a parking garage to just sit there and chat. Anything could have happened. He didn't want to go to starbucks cause he couldn't get in your pants in there. Don't write internet dating off. There are a few diamonds in the rough.

Oh, he was never in my apartment nor knows which building I live in. I met him in the garage.

And after my wonderful episode, I'd rather stick with the guys I see everyday than continue online dating. If you like it, more power to you and good luck!

Nah, I've got my own rules already-- 1. No more internet dating and 2. Vet him like crazy, then trust him.

Okay,

Just keep in mind that the same fools you meet on the internet can be the same fools you meet on the street. Only difference is a computer.

Hey this guy might be real...a real creep internet or not. Especially screaming like that. :nono: A decent guy would have at least agreed to confirm info as well as try and get to know you. I don't like they way things started off IMHO

Oh, he was never in my apartment nor knows which building I live in. I met him in the garage.

And after my wonderful episode, I'd rather stick with the guys I see everyday than continue online dating. If you like it, more power to you and good luck!

There are a lot of psycho's online. I don't think you should have let him anywhere near where you live.

My point when I tell people not to write off online dating is that you are a nice girl, you went online. So there must be nice guys online too. It takes a few trials to figure out how to weed out the bad ones from the go. You can't weed all of them out but you definetely save yourself a few bad dates.

Nice points, you sound like my mom. But when I think about dating, I realize that it is totally unsafe. At some point, you will be in his car and therefore under his control, regardless of how you have met him.

I'll admit, I was unnecessarily carefree and curious and should have vetted him thoroughly prior to meeting him. I'm just as guilty as McCain in that sense, but I was not desperate. I purposefully selected him because of the chemistry we had online and on the phone. He was way different from my typical dates and I just wanted to see what he was about. Desperation implies lack of options and that simply wasn't the case.

Also, I don't regret the date. I made that mistake willfully. I needed to go through that experience because despite his bad qualities, he was more enjoyable than several of the other guys I've met at work who look good on paper and he gave me some insight into what I desire romantically. I'm thankful that I'm safe and that I learned a lesson that I will keep with me-- meet at a public neutral space until he can be trusted. In fact, we were supposed to meet at the theater earlier in the day, but he ended up coming so late, he suggested meeting at my place. I should have cancelled, but I chose not to.

I just pray that you aren't like my folks and try to put the fear of every man into your daughter. Don't scare her away from the idea of love due to your own fears. Any man she meets, regardless of how, could be an abuser/murderer or her future wonderful husband. Just remind her you love her and keep the lines of communication open so that she feels ok in giving you details on the men in her life so that you can at least know that much.

Yes that is the meaning of desperation but it can come in many forms,for instance it might be a thought of never finding mister right or perhaps a thought or feeling of being to old to be a virgin.

Your parents seem to be very wise what you might deem to be fear might actually be wisdom.As for my daughter,our lines of communication are fine and has always been very open.She is open to take advice and accept guidance from her parents.

Well good luck with your decision in the future I pray the very best for you. Do you:wink2:

OP, I hesitate to respond because you seem to be defensive about the situation. I am basing this on your response to some of the other ladies comments. Their comments may sting but they are all telling the truth. There is nothing wrong with internet dating as long as you do it safely. MizzBrown spoke the truth regarding The Rules. You may feel as though you don't need any additional rules but the book is a good read on how to handle yourself in the dating world. A fool can be found anywhere, not just on the internet. I personally would never let someone come to my house (I don't care if he didn't know your apartment number). Just by knowing where you live could lead him to become a stalker. Secondly, riding him around was not an option. You both should have taken separate cars and better yet - you should have met him at an open area such as a restaurant. Manipulative men can sniff out nice girls a mile away. They know the right words to say to make a woman swoon.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with being a virgin. It is a prize and I think you should hold it in the highest regards. When the time is right God will give you the person that you are supposed to be with but you must be patient. Your only human so of course those sexual urges will arise - theres nothing wrong with that at all. Also, Onyx made a comment that you sound desperate. Her comment have been blunt but I totally agree with her. You really rushed the situation. The both of you went thru the motions entirely too quick. We live and learn so hopefully next time you will pick up on some of the red flags that losers put out. Also realize that you may meet some more fools before the right one come along. Its best to wise up now than later when a BIGGER loser comes alone and you give your virginity to him.

It may suck to be a virgin (to you) but it hurts more to give you virginity to a man that didn't deserve it. Life Lesson.

Last edited:
We live and learn so hopefully next time you will pick up on some of the red flags that losers put out.

I actually sensed that the OP did have some sense earlier on and didn't listen to her instincts. It seems like, by their replies, some of the other ladies sensed that too. Women's intuition is real and almost always guides us in the right direction...if we let it.

OP, I found it interesting that you say that you and this guy broke up. Would you consider what you and him had to be dating or a relationship?

Please do not EVER do this again!!! Not that he is a total liar and murderer, but he is not for you at all!!! Being a virgin at 28 is a wonderful accomplishment and for him to make fun of that means he is NOT FOR YOU!!!

There is nothing wrong with internet dating but you need to be FAR MORE CAREFUL. When I was on-line dating, I would only meet for weekday lunch dates/dinner and in a very public place with an escape plan - had to go back to work (lunch) or get up early for work (dinner). I would also never agree to give out my number during an initial chat. It usually took a couple weeks to get details on the guy & of course check out those details by any available means (usually google).

He is moving too fast for a man that you just met and I think his only plan is to try to be your first. He does not deserve that honor.

Red flags:

1-- He asked me to stop at an atm right after telling me how much he earns each year and how many accounts he has in so many banks;

he was an hour late and did not stop at an ATM in advance?

2-- He made fun of fellow diners at the restaurant we dined in loud enough for them to overhear;

No home training

3-- He made plans for a Valentine's night hotel stay and/ or pretended to order concert tickets on his cellphone;

Already trying to have sex with you, assuming he really did book a hotel & buy concert tickets

4-- under his directions, he had me drive us to a parking garage, where we talked in the car for 1.5 hours instead of going to a normal safer place like Starbuck's and

Cheap jerk who could not even go to some place for dessert to talk

5-- He curses just as much as Samuel Jackson.

Well, this is not as bad since I have a foul mouth sometimes too. :lachen:

I actually did go out to dinner with a doctor, OB/GYN, that I met on-line. He too wanted to move things VERY FAST and invited me to some ski trip right after our first date. I did not agree to go.

He turned out to be a complete jerk and never called again after I refused to have sex with him after only 3 dates. Many men admittedly are on-line dating just for sex. Be careful.

Maybe I'm just paranoid? It took me weeks of dating to even kiss DH. I don't think I have ever kissed on a first date. DH and I met at work though, not on-line.

I've been reading that "Visited SC/Online Romance" thread probably a bit too much. lol So during a slow evening last week, I signed up for blackpeoplemeet.com just to see what it was like. Literally, within one minute of finishing my profile, my mailbox received eager messages and flirts. I was inundated by brothers and even white guys giving me their approval. It's the biggest pick-me-up and I thoroughly enjoyed the attention, but before I could even finish reading my first new message from some man claiming to be a single doctor, a chat window began to buzz on my screen.

At first, I was just a deer caught in headlights unsure if I wanted to chat or not, but feeling particularly intrigued, I answered. We went through the motions of a very brief conversation, swapping names and location info. He said he was in the same city and asked if we could progress to exchanging phone numbers. Because he kept me laughing for the few minutes we chatted online, I agreed and gave him my number. He called me immediately and we talked for another wonderful hour longer. I appreciate a nice, deep masculine voice and he lacked that, he had more of a scratchy comedian's voice which complemented his repertoire of jokes he spat out at record pace.

So he caught me by surprise and I wanted more of him, so we agreed to keep in contact and for the next couple of days he texted me and called me several times per day. I was shocked at his persistence, especially because he said he was a very busy real estate investor/contractor. I knew to wait for evidence and paid little attention to his online profile because he claimed to earn "$200-300K" per year, so I was just hoping to be entertained and was doubtful of everything he stated. However, I wasn't scared of him because he seemed to be emotionally genuine. During one of our marathon 3 hour-long phone convos, he let me overhear him put his son to bed as well as listen as he managed work at one of his home sites.

It didn't take but 3 long phone calls over the course of 3 days to get me to agree to a date. I just wanted to see him in person. So last Saturday night was the night we chose to finally meet. I was uncharacteristically late in getting ready because I had to work late that day, but he nearly worked my last nerve when he showed up an hour late for the date in a company pick up truck with a huge air conditioning unit piled on top. I was just fit to be tied after I directed him to the parking garage for my complex and came out to meet him.

I saw the offending parked truck before I saw him nearly 50 feet away with his back turned to me. I quickly surmised it was his vehicle when I saw "We buy/sell houses cheap" emblazoned across the side of the truck and decided I would not get my designer dress-clad body in that raggedy machine. I could almost smell the sweat from the construction workers emanating from it and I called out to my date so he would turn around as I approached him. He took his time and walked up to me only when I stopped 10 feet away from him. In all of his online photos he was donning shades and a bluetooth, so I begged him to leave them at home and I was pleased to see that he had. He was cute, just not as tall as the 5'10 he claimed, or so it felt in my 3inch heels. Regardless, I decided right then and there, that he was cute enough to be the first guy that it would be difficult to remain celibate with.

When he kept trying to get me to promise to do a weekend trip with him, he finally picked up on my hesitation. He's not a dummy and quickly asked me if I was inexperienced. I was driving at the time and was so ready to just kick him out of my car, but I waited a second and told him that I was indeed a virgin at 28, then he proceeded to laugh at me to no end. Then I started laughing, got embarassed and asked him to shut up. He just kept on and said that we could slow it down and that we could just hold each other when we spend the night together because he said he could see us ending up married and having children. He told me all of the things girls hear in highschool to prime them for giving it up and I just nodded instead of saying "n---- please". Truthfully, I'm older now and am very heterosexual; I need to get married asap and end this lusting phase. Being a virgin is cute when you're 18, but as you near 30, it's like a big "loser" sign tacked to your head and behind.

Throughout the night, my date would gaze deeply into my eyes, then my cleavage and rub his knees against my leg under the table. If I hadn't been saved, I could have raped him in my car, no lie. But because of Jesus, I silently repented and acted like I didn't notice a thing. So after getting me to agree to his Valentine's day plans ( I was lying, but hate to hear "baby, please"), we ended the date with a kiss and an embrace. There was no tongue involved, but he held himself up against me and my body responded instantaneously. When he pulled away from me and told me to call him when I got back into my apartment safely, I couldn't stop smelling his scent-- a mixture of cologne and his unique smell.

I gave him a quick call, thanked him and tried to shower his scent off of me. I couldn't nor could I sleep. The next day he was just as talkative as before and we chatted before and after church. I told my friends and family my good news and my family went ape crap. Internet love is a no-no and they reminded me about the hordes of unsolved murders of single women who were last seen with some guy. I reevaluated what he told me about himself and realized I knew nothing concrete about him including his name. I promised my worried family that I would try not to end up a victim and would end the relationship. He called me late Sunday night and started off so wrong--"Baby, I ain't never gonna let you go. You've run off all of those other brothers, but I'm here to stay, you ain't gettin' rid of me." I swear I almost peed on myself, I asked him to explain and he just laughed and said he was trying to be sexy. I told him I needed some facts about him so I could start to trust him, he balked and complained. He rapidly accused someone of putting thoughts into my head about him and advised me to stop telling other people about "us" because they didn't want to see me happy.

Dude is creepy. I started hearing the Twilight Zone theme song as I progressed through the OP's posts. So many red flags!

Okay, either he is married or just a liar & trying to get some. No man wants to settle down with a woman he met online last week & went on one date with thus far. He is just telling you that crap because he thinks that is what women want to hear.

As for not wanting to give details to protect his son, he was not worried about his son when he let you hear all the details of their night time ritual. I'm sure many other woman asked him for details - he just didn't provide them and moved on to the next woman.

Many men lie on-line about being on pro teams. I have no idea why they don't realize it's easily verifiable? Another on-line guy told me that crap but when I asked him for ID at starbucks he looked like a darn fool. He lied about his name!!!

BE CAREFUL!!!

What do you mean that you broke up? You went on one date? Do you think that made him your boyfriend? You are 28, right? You know that one date does not mean that is your man?

Continuation from above...

"Baby, look here, everytime a black woman meets a good man, her friends and family scare her away and tell her he ain't s***. You need to make your own decisions and stop telling people everything. I'm a good man. I work hard and I want us to be together so we can start our future. If you want, we can slow down."

I liked the idea of slowing down, but still wanted him to atleast tell me one thing about him that could be easily verified (when he graduated from college, his company's website, etc). He kept talking over an hour, but refrained from any specifics, but I reminded him of how he said he used to play for certain college and pro football teams, he reassured me he had and begged me to calm down and suggested we talk tomorrow. We said goodnight and then this morning, I became an inch-high private eye and checked out the rosters for the teams he claimed to have been on. I could not find his name affiliated with any team for any year. I felt relieved and decided to concentrate on dating other geeks in my field instead of random internet guys. The hard part was breaking up with the date.

I texted him, asking him a bogus simple question--"What kind of car do you drive". His reply-- "Why?" We played tag with him remaining on defense the whole time, so we ended it on the phone.

He got loud and fussed at me about being the first woman ever to try to pry into his personal life and he had a son to protect. I remained calm and asked him to tell me one fact that could prove any of the stuff he told me about him (i.e. the football stuff, his graduation date, even show me a driver's license). He screamed like a squealed pig and I waited for him to run out of breath and suggested that I was bad for him and that he should be with someone else. I was so scared he would try to say something scary like he wouldn't go away, but I think when I mentioned I checked his records at the college he claims, he realized there was no way to fix that and agreed we should leave each other alone.

I felt so much better when we broke up, but I do pray he leaves me alone. I was stupid to let him come to my complex and he got way too possessive of me and my time too soon. I felt like I was in a lifetime movie last night when he kept trying to get me to ignore my family's advice. I'm nearly tired of dating and a little frustrated emotionally and physically. God will provide the right man, but I'm confused as to why my body reacted so profoundly to the date. I have never been that physically attracted to a man. I swear it's because I could tell he was experienced and patient enough to get what he wants physically.

I'll admit there's another guy I've been neglecting from match.com who my parents are more likely to approve of who teaches at a nearby university in my field. He seems really sweet, trustworthy and dull, but his pic is amazingly cute. During one of our convos, he already told me what he wants out of a wife, but at this stage, I know men just talk about a possible marriage to butter you up, so I'd rather just have a great makeout session with him than be lied to.

So I'm not giving up on men, but I am no longer using the internet for a date. The professor will be the last one and I am going to meet him in daylight with security cameras present in a safe place. I do end relationships sort of quickly, but I have to since men like to put the bedroom pressure on and then the arguments start. So I hope the prof is indeed as sweet as he seems and takes his time. :)

You do have to be careful about letting someone know where you live. On a second date with someone from the internet, he picked me up at home. Sometime after the second date, he called me one night and told me that he left something for me at my door. I opened the door and there were flowers but it didn't impress me. It freaked me out - to think that this guy had been to my apartment while I was inside!

Yes, we must be careful!

3-- He made plans for a Valentine's night hotel stay and/ or pretended to order concert tickets on his cellphone;

:ohwell: What? This fool was running major game. He would have been kicked out at the next red light.

Also, you did the right thing letting that go. I'm glad you are safe and that he didn't harm you. And, don't worry about why your body responded to him...that doesn't indicated anything necessarily good about him. It's just physical attraction. Physical attraction happens between people that are wrong for each other everyday. It's normal.

Good for you, Xerxes! I'm happy you didnt go along with the games he was trying to play because he sounds like he's fooled many a woman before. Liars are the worst and Im glad you know you deserve better before he lied your pants off!

you gave your phone number right away..ouch!!!!
got into a car with him...he didn't have you go to a parking lot..
..you drove there! and stayed there!

Didn't you feel you were lovely and amazing enough to go to another
place like a cafe or lounge...
that's what dates do..if you are having a great time ...
go somewhere else..nice..to talk....
but ...in a garage????? ;(

you volunteered intimate private detail about your sexual status
on the first date..... what kind of message is that
ouch ouch ouch

I felt so much better when we broke up,
whoa girl...reality check....
we? & what break-up?

do you see where I'm goin with this

OP ..inventory your own stuff or it'll happen again
and since you've banned internet dating
you won't have it to blame....

Last edited:
I'm seriously starting to feel too old for this dating game. I've been saying "no" for so many years I've lost count.

You and I are *here*. Same age and everything. I'm really good at saying "no." But the one time I kind of implied "yes" I almost lost control. You shouldn't be in a secluded place with a stranger period. But even with someone you trust, don't put yourself in a situation where it might be hard to say "no."

All of this happened in the span of a week??!! Wow. I don't know where to start. Well, I'm glad to see that you opened up your eyes about him, so with that I will not even attempt reiterate to you his short-comings. But I just want to point out my observations about what YOU did that I pray you heed and learn from. My top three observations were:

1) YOU were driving and you just went wherever he directed you to go? You even mentioned yourself that you two talked for over an hour away from normal SAFE places.

2) You were boasting to your family "the good news" about a man you just met the other day and knew absolutely nothing about.

3) You "broke up" with him after one date and several phone calls? How can you break up with someone you obviously are not in a relationship with?

I hope I am not coming across as mean-spirited or hateful because that is not my intent. You mention several times that you are a virgin and that you feel you are too old to be one. Sounds like you made a lot of bad decisions due to your desperation to "give it up" or be in a relationship. Or the bad decisions could be from lack of experience (which your date sensed right away) due to the fact of never being in a serious relationship (or so I am assuming). Either way, just remember that things always happen when they are supposed to happen, and not necessarily when we want them to.

Last edited:
You do have to be careful about letting someone know where you live. On a second date with someone from the internet, he picked me up at home. Sometime after the second date, he called me one night and told me that he left something for me at my door. I opened the door and there were flowers but it didn't impress me. It freaked me out - to think that this guy had been to my apartment while I was inside!

Yes, we must be careful!

Lol...I would have been a nervous wreck opening that door!

OP, it seems that your desire to end your virginity led you to overlook red flags about this man. I commend the willpower that it has taken to hold on to your convictions however I urge you to be smarter about the things you divulge about yourself and the choices you make. On top of everything the ladies have already mentioned, that man had no business knowing that you were a virgin. That's nobody's business but your own (and definitely not on a first date). It made him "latch" on a lot harder than he would've with another woman. He was working for what he thought was the ultimate prize (not you but your virtue). You put yourself in that position because you didn't know any better. At 28, its time you learn.

Back