2018 Relationship And Dating Thread

Don't see a long term future with either of the two guys I mentioned I went on dates with. One has shown me that he's inconsistent. The other was moving way too fast and it didn't sit well with me.

But I've been actively back on the dating scene so I have a few more in my back pocket that I'm still getting to know.

My man is a professional musician. Just found out his band is performing with a major artist who happens to be BFF of my ex (who proposed to me twice). Just found out my ex is coming down for it. I just know this will be awkward.

DescriptiveBabyishBrownbutterfly-max-1mb.gif
Good luck girl!!!!

No dates since my ex and I broke up in April/May of last year. I've tried getting back out there with just chatting with guys and even that part is exhausting-- possibly because I'm using the same platform that I met my ex on so I'm very much over it.(Tinder, dating apps, online dating ).

The first part of this year will be just focusing on me and getting myself together.

Happy 2018 y'all! :wave:

Our engagement pics session was great! It was chilly tho, so we ended earlier than expected. We may use 1 for our receptionannouncements. We've nailed down a ceremony and reception date. And decided to just rent out an area in a restaurant for the reception. With just 30 people.

At first we were looking at venues, caterers, etc. But neither of us were interested in planning/ don't care about this stuff lol. At first we were gonna have extended family and friends, which was around 70-80 people. So I suggested let's reduce that even more and just go out to eat lol.

Everything is happening in April.

We went over his dads house yesterday to look at what his timeshare offers in Europe for our honeymoon. We got a few nice places to choose from. Can't remember them all right now, but 1 was Malaga, Spain? We're gonna choose this weekend.

We booked our honeymoon! The places in Europe were only available in November/ December, which we were both fine with, until we looked at the temperature at that time of year lol. So we started looking at South America and decided on Panama! So that's booked :) Going in May for 7 days :yay: We're using his dads timeshare and his dad is covering the all inclusive fees and our flights, too! :yay:

I told him I want some more stuff done to my bathroom, so he's researching contractors this week. I'm researching premarital counselors this week so we can start that soon.

So I finally told my mom that we're doing a small reception dinner with 30-35 people. She already knew and mentally accepted the courthouse ceremony, so she was not pleased with the reception downgrade :lol: She asked if we had already put the deposit down? I said yea. She said well maybe yall can get it back and look at [insert her suggestion here]? :lachen: uhhhh no. crazy woman.

Now we have to get his ring size so I can order his band. He had it picked out, but now he's changing his mind. Maybe I'll let him pick out my band, since I picked out my engagement ring :scratchchin: hmmmm probably not, but it was a nice thought :lol:

No dates, dreaming about old beau's #FML no #Ineedtogetlife, be more consistent, when things are going good and it faulters doesnt mean to give up, get down, realize there is nothing to be down about, and then get back into game... #wastedtime

I’ve got to start searching for a premarital counselor

I've been searching this week and we settled on and booked one today. Our first session is 1/31. I really hope we both like her.

After we have a few sessions, if I like her and we decide to stick with her, I'll recommend her here for the DMV people.

This is a very exciting part to me! I can't wait to start!

I've been searching this week and we settled on and booked one today. Our first session is 1/31. I really hope we both like her.

After we have a few sessions, if I like her and we decide to stick with her, I'll recommend her here for the DMV people.

This is a very exciting part to me! I can't wait to start!
How did you go about finding and choosing yours?

How did you go about finding and choosing yours?

First I asked my recently married friends and family. Out of those 6 couples, all of them did it through a religiously affiliated therapist. Me and FH don't want that. Then I just did a Google search for premarital counselors in our area. Then I went to my insurance website and searched for counselors through my portal.

Most of the counselors in my area are black, which was a preference of mine, so that was good. I narrowed it down to non religious, black, licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs... not just LPCs). Then I started looking at websites and calling. Ruled out ones with abysmal websites :look: (i tried not to put too much emphasis on this, cuz I understand that if you're a single owner-operated or have a very small practice,...I get that you're a therapist and not a tech person. But some of the websites were really bad) and poor phone customer service :look: like if the receptionist sounded unknowledgable or uninterested. Or if I called, didn't get an answer, and they took more than an hour to call back (again, I understand if you're a single owner-operator... but damn get a receptionist :look: )

I would also look at any online reviews they had. Most had less than 10 reviews, many had none. But this wasn't a deal breaker at all. Cuz again, small practice therapists. Cool. One place I called had lots of good Google reviews! I was excited when I called!.... the receptionist...it was like pulling teeth getting some help! No.

And I didn't have a script of questions when calling. I was depending on them to tell me things. And most did. I simply stated 'I'm looking to get some information on your premarital counseling services'. And let them sell their services to me lol.

Then I had 2 left. They both have 6-session packages. I went with the 1 that had online reviews (only like 3) and were a little more enthusiastic in their phone delivery. Also, she said she has couples whose sessions run over, after their wedding. A plus for us, since ours is just 3mos away. She also said she recommends scheduling a 6mos and 1yr 'check up'. Another deciding factor. And she was really overall personable.

A lot of the places I called that had been in business for 10+yrs were the ones with bad customer service. The person I went with started her practice last January. Fingers crossed.

My guy wants to talk about whether or not to do premarital counseling. He says he feels awkward about it when he doesn’t see an issue we need to fix.

Yea mine wasn't super excited about the idea when he realized I wasn't kidding about us doing it. We talked about it early in our relationship, way before we got engaged and I said I wanted to do premarital counseling. He seemed totally fine with it, had no objections. Then when I brought it up again after our engagement....and kept bringing it up...i guess he started to get cold feet about it. I honestly didn't care, you have cold feet, ok, this is our appt date :lol: :look:

However, at a time when I'd brought it up again, last month, we also had a baby disagreement about something dumb. And he texts me after I go home with 'maybe we should do premarital counseling babe' :lol:

Sooo my advice is to maybe pick a small fight, right after bringing up therapy again? :look: like since y'all don't have any glaring issues.

Orrrr if you wanna take the long, arduous, mature route :lol: maybe try to get him to see it like a regular doctor check up. You get yearly checkups for prevention, not cuz anything's wrong. Therapy, for healthy people, is like preventative medicine. But then you may need to show him examples of couples yall know, that he likes or looks up to, who did premarital counseling. Exhausting. I vote for pick a fight :look: :lol:

Happy 2018 y'all! :wave:

Our engagement pics session was great! It was chilly tho, so we ended earlier than expected. We may use 1 for our receptionannouncements. We've nailed down a ceremony and reception date. And decided to just rent out an area in a restaurant for the reception. With just 30 people.

At first we were looking at venues, caterers, etc. But neither of us were interested in planning/ don't care about this stuff lol. At first we were gonna have extended family and friends, which was around 70-80 people. So I suggested let's reduce that even more and just go out to eat lol.

Everything is happening in April.

We went over his dads house yesterday to look at what his timeshare offers in Europe for our honeymoon. We got a few nice places to choose from. Can't remember them all right now, but 1 was Malaga, Spain? We're gonna choose this weekend.
Congratulations!!

We are doing well and its refreshing.

Couples counseling has been helpful and I have been making it my mission to be more patient with his work schedule and intimate both when we get time alone without baby girl and when she's in bed for the night. Its been AMAZING to say the least. Last year I went through a phase of not wanting to be intimate or have sex. I realized I was depressed in my relationship and that needed to change, hence the couples counseling. Again, nothing he had done. I am attending individual counseling sessions as well as is he. The lack of physical intimacy was not because of anything he did but because I was just uninterested. It was shocking because I am a very physical person, especially when it comes to him.

This year is off to a good start and I sure hope it stays this way.

Happy Saturday ladies!

We booked our honeymoon! The places in Europe were only available in November/ December, which we were both fine with, until we looked at the temperature at that time of year lol. So we started looking at South America and decided on Panama! So that's booked :) Going in May for 7 days :yay: We're using his dads timeshare and his dad is covering the all inclusive fees and our flights, too! :yay:

I told him I want some more stuff done to my bathroom, so he's researching contractors this week. I'm researching premarital counselors this week so we can start that soon.

So I finally told my mom that we're doing a small reception dinner with 30-35 people. She already knew and mentally accepted the courthouse ceremony, so she was not pleased with the reception downgrade :lol: She asked if we had already put the deposit down? I said yea. She said well maybe yall can get it back and look at [insert her suggestion here]? :lachen: uhhhh no. crazy woman.

Now we have to get his ring size so I can order his band. He had it picked out, but now he's changing his mind. Maybe I'll let him pick out my band, since I picked out my engagement ring :scratchchin: hmmmm probably not, but it was a nice thought :lol:

He has the contractors booked for my bathroom and I picked out my wedding band this weekend. I thought I wanted a plain gold band...but no... :look: it's sparkly lol.

I visited my parents this weekend. My mom is stilllll trying to invite people smdh. She said this is the last time she's gonna ask lol yea riiiiight. Oh yea, she asked if she could invite these 6 extended family relatives, after I told her about the reception downgrade^^^. I said no, this aint no family reunion ***. Then she comes back this weekend and asked for "just 1 person" :lol: Isn't it cute how parents raise you to be selfish, independent thinkers, etc and then be sad when you treat them that way? This lady really thinks I'll come around or something. Lady, have you met me? :lol:

FH never ceases to amaze me with his communication skills. They really put mine to shame lol.

He has the contractors booked for my bathroom and I picked out my wedding band this weekend. I thought I wanted a plain gold band...but no... :look: it's sparkly lol.

I visited my parents this weekend. My mom is stilllll trying to invite people smdh. She said this is the last time she's gonna ask lol yea riiiiight. Oh yea, she asked if she could invite these 6 extended family relatives, after I told her about the reception downgrade^^^. I said no, this aint no family reunion ***. Then she comes back this weekend and asked for "just 1 person" :lol: Isn't it cute how parents raise you to be selfish, independent thinkers, etc and then be sad when you treat them that way? This lady really thinks I'll come around or something. Lady, have you met me? :lol:

FH never ceases to amaze me with his communication skills. They really put mine to shame lol.

Bahaha!! I could have told you that! Mine is sparkly too. FH bought it when he got the e-ring and he gave it to me when he proposed. It’s in my jewelry box, but sometimes I wear it around the house. :look: I can’t help myself, lol. :look:

I heard that there are good sales on wedding bands around V-Day and I’m kinda thinking about getting him his band for Valentine’s Day because he has a couple of bands he got off Instagram that he likes to wear around town “so people know he’s mine”. Yeah, there might be something wrong with us. :look:

My ex's great aunt called me and asked how I've been and if I'd come over for dinner one day. I'm torn. On the one hand, this was very random and I'm suspicious. On the other hand, she's elderly, widowed, and childless and except for the ex all of her family lives several states away so I think she just wants a visitor. And I know he almost never goes to see her so my risk of running into him is very low. It's just a little spooky because last night I had a dream about that same ex.

Bahaha!! I could have told you that! Mine is sparkly too. FH bought it when he got the e-ring and he gave it to me when he proposed. It’s in my jewelry box, but sometimes I wear it around the house. :look: I can’t help myself, lol. :look:

I heard that there are good sales on wedding bands around V-Day and I’m kinda thinking about getting him his band for Valentine’s Day because he has a couple of bands he got off Instagram that he likes to wear around town “so people know he’s mine”. Yeah, there might be something wrong with us. :look:

That's a good idea! Im gonna see if I can get his on a vday sale.

He wears bands he got off IG? :lachen: hilarious!! And very cute :lol:

I keep seeing people with plain gold bands and I really like that look.... so why did I not choose one? :lol:

That's a good idea! Im gonna see if I can get his on a vday sale.

He wears bands he got off IG? :lachen: hilarious!! And very cute :lol:

I keep seeing people with plain gold bands and I really like that look.... so why did I not choose one? :lol:
You can get a second band and switch it up right? :look: This makes perfect sense to me. Or you want a plain band to wear alone. It all makes sense lol.

Remember you're gonna get another type of diamond ring later anyways. :lachen:

You can get a second band and switch it up right? :look: This makes perfect sense to me. Or you want a plain band to wear alone. It all makes sense lol.

Remember you're gonna get another type of diamond ring later anyways. :lachen:

True, I could just get both :lol: and yes! I want a plain band to wear alone :lol:

Also true! I still want my uncut diamond :lachen:

Back