You just noticed....he doesn't tip

I would ask him why. If it's because he didnt know he was supposed to, I will patiently explain to him why he needs to start tipping.

Please. That mountain man she is dating didn't tip and we all know it.

Well I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. :lol:

At least it sounds like he's might be unfamiliar with the concept of tipping and not just being a non-tipper on purpose or for no good reason.

Jackson, Mississippi.....For some reason I just pictured 1950's Mississippi and a colored section at a restaurant. I'm finally reading "The Help".

Just offer to leave the tip the next time you're out to eat, make sure to be obvious that you are trying to make sure to leave the right amount (use the calculator on your phone or even a tip card if you have one). It will likely start the conversation about tipping.

If he does know about tipping, you will get to hear his views and probably learn why he tipped ZERO this last time. If he does not know about tipping, he will probably ask a few questions.

It's not a deal breaker. I waited tables in college as did my BFF and some of our friends, even still today are still awful tippers.

Last edited:
cyrealla said:
I'm curious to know is this an american thing where you are obligated to tip, I live in the uk and the whole tipping thing is not so serious here and honestly I couldn't care less if a man tipped or not, tipping is an option, not a must!
As long as the meal was fully paid for I wouldn't think any less of him tip or no tip, going out these days can be quite costly, and the added pressure to be expected to tip is unfair imo.

In the UK what do waiters live on? What's their hourly wage? In the US it's like $3/hr and the tips supplement that. I didn't know tipping wasn't necessary in the UK. When I was there in December I tipped.

In the UK what do waiters live on? What's their hourly wage? In the US it's like $3/hr and the tips supplement that. I didn't know tipping wasn't necessary in the UK. When I was there in December I tipped.

They get the national minimum wage at least and tips on top usually. About $8 for 18-20 yr olds and $9.6 for 21 and overs.

It sounds like in the US if people don't tip the service staff wont have enough money to pay rent and basics. My friend who works in fairly nice restaurants makes a lot of money from being a waitress. Well a lot more than I expected because of the tips being a bonus.

From what I understand (and this may be just certain restaurants) if the servers did not earn enough (whatever enough is) through tips, the other servers share among the deficient server and/or owner of restaurant pays the deficient server, if that makes sense. I could be wrong but I know one small business restaurant did it close to this way.

They get the national minimum wage at least and tips on top usually. About $8 for 18-20 yr olds and $9.6 for 21 and overs.

It sounds like in the US if people don't tip the service staff wont have enough money to pay rent and basics. My friend who works in fairly nice restaurants makes a lot of money from being a waitress. Well a lot more than I expected because of the tips being a bonus.

Pretty much. I really, really wish this would change here. Its not right.

What would you do? What would you say? Let's say you've been dating a guy for awhile and you just happened to glance at a receipt and realized....HE DOESN'T TIP!! Anything! Nothing nada!!

I asked my mom and she said that he's from a rural area and maybe doesn't know he is supposed to tip. Not to make a big deal out of it. Maybe casually bring it up but make sure you always bring tip money with you. Leave the tip. He will probably feel embarrassed and starting leaving a tip.

What would you do?
PrissiSippi

Can't you just ask him why he doesn't tip?

PrissiSippi

Can't you just ask him why he doesn't tip?

I just didn't wanna be so obvious. I felt like it was kinda rude. I know he's also being rude if he doesn't tip lol but I don't feel like that's my place to correct you. That's what you have parent's for. But next time we go to a place that requires a tip I'ma just ask him about it if I notice again he doesn't tip or doesn't even pick up the pen to write on the receipt lol

I always look, or try to look. Discreelty mind you, just a glance over. No leaning or grabbing the bill. He's got to hide it if he doesn't want me to know how much was spent.

Is that weird? You don't get curious?

Sent from my iPhone

I do the same thing. I don't grab, but I may peer over in that direction. Depending on where we go, the server would place on the table facing him and I may only see a small glance as he places it down flat open on the table. I don't ask to see it. I am a curious person. I rarely see the full amount, but I know he tips very well.

To the OP, I don't see a problem with asking why he doesn't tip, especially if you do it in a polite and genuinely inquisitive way. His response would say a lot.

Back