What's your best hair care tip for strangers and associates

What is your best tip?

• Deep Condition Weekly

Votes: 129 32.1%
  • Low Heat/No Heat

Votes: 73 18.2%
  • Daily Moisturizing

Votes: 79 19.7%
  • Hair Book -- Cathy Howse, Carolyn Gray, Shamboosie, etc.

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • Stretching relaxers (if she's relaxed)

Votes: 33 8.2%
  • Protective Styles -- buns, braids, and weave

Votes: 32 8.0%
  • Protein Treatment (ie Aphogee 2 step)

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Frequent Washing (with shampoo or co-washing)

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • Topical Growth Aide and/or Vitamins

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • No combing except on wash days

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters
No heat!

If someone's clueless about hair, they're probably using heat every day. If they cut out heat, it would at least be a little help to halt the breakage.

If you tell someone that's ignorant to haircare to not comb their hair, stretch relaxers or to co wash a few times a week, they'll look at you like you're crazy. It'll go in one ear and out the other, and they'll keep abusing the hell outta their hair.

If you tell them to use Aphogee, it'll be a disaster because they don't have the knowledge that we have.

Cutting out heat is simple, sounds easy and is doable. So is daily moisturizing :yep:

No heat!

If someone's clueless about hair, they're probably using heat every day. If they cut out heat, it would at least be a little help to halt the breakage.

If you tell someone that's ignorant to haircare to not comb their hair, stretch relaxers or to co wash a few times a week, they'll look at you like you're crazy. It'll go in one ear and out the other, and they'll keep abusing the hell outta their hair.

If you tell them to use Aphogee, it'll be a disaster because they don't have the knowledge that we have.

Cutting out heat is simple, sounds easy and is doable. So is daily moisturizing :yep:

:lol: So true!

I have had people ask me what I do to my hair and I am like :look: Where do I start?

But those simple tid-bits are easier. I don't think someone using heat everyday can just stop cold turkey.

I told someone that my problem heat. I was telling her that I use heat once a week and I cringe everytime I do it. I know that I need to cut it back. She was like "That's all?! Once a week. That is good. I use it every day!" :blush: Someone like that would need to start by cutting back - way back.

my two best things to tell some one is to moisturize 2x daily and to deep condition at least weekly.

Moisture, moisture, moisture. Twice a day. Made a tremendous difference for me and then I went from there.

Next thing I would say is join LHCF. I'm glad you ladies don't charge individually for your help and advice b/c there isn't enough money in the world to pay for the knowledge I've gained. :grouphug:

Educate yourself.
It's free, and if you actually want nice hair (ie are willing to put in effort for it), you'll make it easy. :yep:
If you don't want nice hair enough to do that, anything I can say to you is going to go in one ear and out the other. *shrug*

I sooo agree with this, I voted for frequent co-wash, but the truth is you must get knowledge. Before I found this site, I remember a lady telling me to DC weekly; I followed that advo, but my hair was still wrecked. It wasn't until I found this site that I was able to see some serious changes and it didn't take long for my hair to turn around. I just needed the right info. I'm still on that journey, I feel so much more confident about growing my hair healthy now that I have info and a support system (other knowledgeable ladies) to giude me.

BC

I chose daily moisturizing b/c this is doing a great job on my hair. I would have also put deep conditioning weekly and low/no heat b/c they are neck & neck w/ daily moisturizing but really they are ALL GREAT tips and should be practiced.

I chose daily moisture because that really helps me. Daily moisturizing, weekly deep conditioning and low/no heat also helped alot. :yep: Perhaps another choice should have been be patient because even with good hair practices, if your hair was seriously damaged, it takes time for it to become healthier and look better.

I forgot the most important tip!!!

If you want to vote for Long Hair Care Forum as your best tip, please vote for "Hair Book" then explain in a post. I didn't want to leave that out, because I know a lot of members tell others about the forum.

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!

its only when i started checking out websites that i learnt bout good hair practices.

but for quick tip....washing at least 2X week and deep conditioning

BUT ultimate tip....moisture and protein balance!!!!
(its hard to choose one!)

Everyone is prolly assuming that whomever is asking is really serious about changing their hair practices. I say hair books and the internet. That's how I found out about LHCF.

If you tell them cut this and do that, they will probably look at you like you're crazy. I have a friend who is going through the same thing. I told her to buy a dryer and to dc once a week. You think she took my advice? But she sees how my hair is thriving and she can't believe it.

I even gave her my Cathy Howse's book and she still hasn't read it. So what do you think a total stranger will do. If they want to know, I'll suggest some hair sites and tell them that it's a journey they would have to make for themselves and KIM.

I would be very cautious about telling someone to stretch their relaxers if they really know nothing about haircare....stretching can do a lot of damage if not cared for properly. I would probably tell them DC weekly, then no heat, and THEN stretch.....

I would be very cautious about telling someone to stretch their relaxers if they really know nothing about haircare....stretching can do a lot of damage if not cared for properly. I would probably tell them DC weekly, then no heat, and THEN stretch.....
ITA some people do not know how to stretch my advice would be to deep condition every week and if using heat limit it to once a week

No heat!

i totally agree

I think deep conditioning is soooo awesome since i've been a night owl:grin: on here and decided to join i've been given such good advice from so many women I don't know where to actually start. I would say if she uses a computer she should really invest time into seaching this forum, knowing what I know now there is no excuse for me not to take excellent care of my hair now back on the subject...:yep: to start off I would say Deep Conditioning all the way 30 mins under the dryer once a week with good conditioner made me a believer.

Keep your ends healthy. I see so many strangers with hair that is filled with split ends. If they got rid of those raggedy ends, their hair would look a lot better.

This was a hard one. I got really torn between not using heat and moisturizing daily. But i picked moisturizing daily very important and not something I did before i joined LHCF

There are a lot of good tips there, but I feel one of the first things that I ever did that helped to improve the condition of my hair drastically when I first began my journey was weekly DC'ing. Without that my hair would lack the necessary moisture/protein balance it needs to grow long and healthy :yep:. Another very important one (to me) is Not applying the relaxer on previously relaxed strands (if you are relaxed). That was just a humungous no-no that I committed :nono:.

Last edited:
My best quick tip: If you use direct heat, stop it or cut back significantly...especially if your hair is chemically-treated. Try rollersetting or airdrying to give your hair a chance to recover.

Back