What's your best hair care tip for strangers and associates

What is your best tip?

• Deep Condition Weekly

Votes: 129 32.1%
  • Low Heat/No Heat

Votes: 73 18.2%
  • Daily Moisturizing

Votes: 79 19.7%
  • Hair Book -- Cathy Howse, Carolyn Gray, Shamboosie, etc.

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • Stretching relaxers (if she's relaxed)

Votes: 33 8.2%
  • Protective Styles -- buns, braids, and weave

Votes: 32 8.0%
  • Protein Treatment (ie Aphogee 2 step)

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Frequent Washing (with shampoo or co-washing)

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • Topical Growth Aide and/or Vitamins

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • No combing except on wash days

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters
i didn't see vitamin supplements as an option. my advice is (would be) to let it begin within and reinforce with topical haircare practices.

it didn't see vitamin supplements as an option. my advice is always to let it begin within and reinforce with topical hair care practices.

For strangers/friends that want a quick tip I always say olive oil. I know that oil only seals moisture but I see so many people that could use a good pre-poo, hot oil treatment or just some daily olive oil on their ends, people want that swang so they avoid anything on their hair and it's not a healthy look.

Hair books. When they ask me for one piece of advice I say "find out what your hair likes/needs. It's different for everyone."

I usually look at the persons hair, if it talks to me then I tell that person what it needs ::wink:: i.e. you need more moisture, less heat, protein etc.

I'm gonna go with no/low heat. No matter what else you do to baby your hair, if you're curling and flat ironing it everyday, you're going to suffer damage which will be unrepairable at some point.

I would tell a stranger to deep condition weekly because in order to do so you wash your hair first and then DC.

Quite a few people still believe dirty hair grows faster. :ohwell:

Deep condition every week. And use a silk bonnet,scarf, or pillowcase to sleep. When I dont, my hair rubbing against the pillow cases cause my hair to dry out and damge it.

Eliminate direct heat, bun nearly everyday to eliminate combing, keep moisturized.

Thats my story and im sticking to it! :D

Low Heat/No Heat, Moisturize Often and Protective/Low Maintanance Styling. It's a combination of things that will help, one specific tip/technique wouldnt be enough IMO. :)

Can someone please tell me what a good protein treatment would be? :confused:
Thanks!:)

StLucianSweetie said:
Whoa. Its hard to chose just one because they are all about just equally important. You have to keep a balance with all of it. But I had to choose protein treatements because I was totally clueless about them before I found this site and I was shedding like a dog. For me, by hair always grew and it always 'looked' like a healty shoulder length. But little did I know how much longer and healthier my hair could be if I could just keep it on my darn head!

I was torn btwn protein treatments and the supplements. I gotta tell ya...that biotin and MSM works wonders.

Reduce your heat usage.

I believe that's been the number one thing that brought my hair back to life.

Moisture is the key to retaining length (amongst other things). It is important to keep a balance between moisture and protein. And if they wanted to get deeper into the conversion i would tell them about dcing and steretching relaxers,etc...

i would say that having a good protein/moisture balance. this is something that can make or break your hair. this is something u have to consider when ur deep conditioning and stretching relaxers. when i didnt have it balanced my hair suffered greatly.

For me, it all depends on their needs, the texture of their hair, and their personal goals. But overall, I think everyone benefits from bunning and moisture, no matter the hair type of status of the hair.

Just one huh... then I would have to go for the shock factor to get the conversation going a little more and say shampoo/cleanse at least 2-3x/wk. That would probably give me the chance to give added info. Far too many ladies still believe that keeping the hair dirty is a good thing. I voted for DC'ing though, before I thought about it.

I was buying lunch two days ago and the cashier asked me what I did to grow my hair so long.....I was wearing my $14 wig:lol: ....I told her I was wearing a wig.....but she should try less heat..stretching relaxers..then I wrote a list of all the great hair websites...of course lhcf was at the top of the list and www.growafrohairlong.com
:)

1. Reduce/lose the heat

2. Watch your diet..& get check for medical conditions/issues that may be affecting condition/growth

Catina72 said:
You didn't have it listed....clarify!! Most ladies I have given a little advice to have NEVER clarified or heard of it. I believe this is the beginning of getting that moisture into the hair and of course deep conditioning and relaxer stretching and protective styling is key. I just don't want to overwhelm the sista!!:lol:

ooohh that is a good one! Clarifying was my answer to ridding my strands of build up and allowing my moisture to be retained!!;)

CAPlush said:
It means your hair is only combed on wash days. If you choose not to comb your hair, you will also have to choose a style that is compatible with that option, ie rollersets, bun, or french braid. You also have to maintain your style so that it lasts until the next wash day.

If you want to wear your hair straight and flowing, you may not be able to avoid combing from wash to wash. If I'm wearing my hair down, I only comb the ends though, there is no need to tear through the roots when the hair is dry.

ok makes sense, thanks for clearing that up for me

I voted for deep conditioning because it has done wonders for my hair...but I think that my ultimate pick would probably be protective styling...I mean, my hair grows the healthies and the fastest when it is in protective styling. :grin:

most women i know don't wash their hair that often. usually every two weeks. 90% of them have drandruff and dry flaky scalp. the also don't moisturize often and just get rinse out conditioners. most of them use heat too often as well. a lot of AA women don't like putting the time an effort into their hair and rely on a beautician to control the health of their hair.

Educate yourself.
It's free, and if you actually want nice hair (ie are willing to put in effort for it), you'll make it easy. :yep:
If you don't want nice hair enough to do that, anything I can say to you is going to go in one ear and out the other. *shrug*

now thta I'm trying to restore my hair to health, I would tell her to make sure her relaxers are not being overlapped and that they are being rinsed out properly. all the moisturizng, no heat, and vits wont do any good if you or your stylist is causing chemical damage.

Back