What's your best hair care tip for strangers and associates

What is your best tip?

• Deep Condition Weekly

Votes: 129 32.1%
  • Low Heat/No Heat

Votes: 73 18.2%
  • Daily Moisturizing

Votes: 79 19.7%
  • Hair Book -- Cathy Howse, Carolyn Gray, Shamboosie, etc.

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • Stretching relaxers (if she's relaxed)

Votes: 33 8.2%
  • Protective Styles -- buns, braids, and weave

Votes: 32 8.0%
  • Protein Treatment (ie Aphogee 2 step)

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Frequent Washing (with shampoo or co-washing)

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • Topical Growth Aide and/or Vitamins

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • No combing except on wash days

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters
I would tell her to deep condition weekly, once I started deep conditioning weekly my hair was stronger, softer, and stopped breaking off.

Because in my experience I find people have a hard time leaving the heat, combing, and relaxers alone, I usually recommend deep conditioning. It's a jump start for them. I usually recommend Queen Helene conditioner with a little honey added- it's cheap and it's easy so there's not a big jump to full hair care that'll intimidate. Because protien treatments can be dangerous (ie, too many can cause major breakage and if you don't follow the directions there could also be some serious issues), I don't recommend them straight out unless someone asks. Then I recommend this forum so they can get a better start. But mostly I just say deep conditioning. For the most part there aren't any severe side effects- especially if they've never done it before and it shows in their hair.

Y'all are just talking basics right? Forget all this hair board mumbo jumbo. Regular people don't' even want to hear all that. The biggest mistake I see people do ALL THE TIME in public is to pull their hair back with a damn rubberband. Like the kind you see on the newspaper. You would think people would know better than that. Even my coworker does that and complains about her hair not growing. If you took care of it, maybe it would grow. :wallbash: There are some small basic modifications people can make when it comes to caring for their hair that will yield results. My recommendations to regular people would be:

1. Get your hair on a schedule and be consistent. - If that means washing every week, or every 2 weeks, do what is comfortable for you but stick to it.

2. Incorporate deep conditioning into your regimen. Try to do it every wash if you can. If you can't do that, at least get one after every relaxer.

3. Cover your hair up at night.

4. Stop using those rubberbands and get some ponytail holders. You can get a whole pack for 1 or 2 dollars.

5. Lay off on direct heat. Try wet setting or rollersetting your hair.

6. Instead of relaxing every 4-6 weeks (I know y'all are cringing at 4 but some people really do that :ohwell:), try to go at least 6 - 8 or even 8 - 10.

7. Incorporate regular trims into your regimen but if your ends look fine, don't trim them every relaxer out of habit. Maybe every other relaxer or when you or your stylist sees fit. If your ends are not raggedy, then you do not have to trim.

8. Lay off gels and products with alcohol. Also try to steer clear of products full of mineral oil and petrolatum. All they do is weigh your hair down and make it greasy. They could also clog your pores.

Last edited:
Y'all are just talking basics right? Forget all this hair board mumbo jumbo. Regular people don't' even want to hear all that. The biggest mistake I see people do ALL THE TIME in public is to pull their hair back with a damn rubberband. Like the kind you see on the newspaper. You would think people would know better than that. Even my coworker does that and complains about her hair not growing. If you took care of it, maybe it would grow. :wallbash: There are some small basic modifications people can make when it comes to caring for their hair that will yield results. My recommendations to regular people would be:

1. Get your hair on a schedule and be consistent. - If that means washing every week, or every 2 weeks, do what is comfortable for you but stick to it.

2. Incorporate deep conditioning into your regimen. Try to do it every wash if you can. If you can't do that, at least get one after every relaxer.

3. Cover your hair up at night.

4. Stop using those rubberbands and get some ponytail holders. You can get a whole pack for 1 or 2 dollars.

5. Lay off on direct heat. Try wet setting or rollersetting your hair.

6. Instead of relaxing every 4-6 weeks (I know y'all are cringing at 4 but some people really do that :ohwell:), try to go at least 6 - 8 or even 8 - 10.

7. Incorporate regular trims into your regimen but if your ends look fine, don't trim them every relaxer out of habit. Maybe every other relaxer or when you or your stylist sees fit. If your ends are not raggedy, then you do not have to trim.

8. Lay off gels and products with alcohol. Also try to steer clear of products full of mineral oil and petrolatum. All they do is weigh your hair down and make it greasy. They could also clog your pores.

Believe it or not, these are just the bare BASICS that would improve the health of people's hair instantly! I do find that when I tell them about going 8-10 weeks between relaxers and laying off the heat, they look at me like I have a 3rd eye! You will be surprised at how people tell you that it's impossible because they just HAVE to have a relaxer every 4 weeks or else their hair will fall out. I tell them that their hair is really falling out because they are curling it (not even flat ironing it with a ceramic iron - not that it's much better) everyday or either they may be sleeping on a cotton pillowcase that may be causing breakage.

I don't get too technical when they start asking things. I give them a few basic tips such as those above. If they are curious enough to try those and come back within a couple of weeks saying they saw the difference, I will give them a little bit more. (if they request it)

BB

I voted protein treatments. Most people know about conditioning, most don't DC, but they do condition. Plus, hair breakage can come from too much moisturizing. It makes the hair so soft that it feels rubbery, and although it may have more elasticity than dry brittle hair, if stretched too much the hair strand become really thin and snaps. I always tell people about the Aphogee 2 step since it did wonders with my breakage. Since starting it, when I detangle, I have at the most 5 strands in the comb (yeah I count).

Educate yourself about your hair type; and develop a simple but effective hair care regimen that will keep your hair healthy.

Last edited:
I chose deep condition. I think this is the easiest concept for a non LCHF member to grasp. It's a process that evryone already does. All they have to do is purchase a good conditioner and use a conditioning caP 2X/3X a week. Alot of people have bad hair habits so telling someone not to curl of not to comb is near hopeless

Do your research and figure out what your hair needs according to its characteristics and what you need according to your lifestyle.

Then I'd kindly give them a couple of places to start looking.

This board has so much information that I can't possibly name it all. But a couple of my favs are protective styling and conditioner washes.

I started my hairgrowth journey again in Nov 08. I just straightened my hair to do a length check yesterday, and in less than 4 mths my hair went from shoulder length to almost APL. Now granted I am pregnant, and I do take prenatal vitamins religiously, but I think the tips on this board also helped. The con washes make my natural curls just pop. I can't believe how thick & long it's gotten.

Now if I could just figure out why it's crunchy when I flat iron it I would be ok. The weird thing is it's soft when I rollerset sooo....back to my lurking:rolleyes:

Wow, choose one huh? Well, I'd have to say moisturize daily. I can justify it the easiest. If they lotion their bodies everyday they should be open to the idea of moisturizing their hair daily as well (especially sealing ends).

LHCF.

Saying all the stuff we do with our hair would just freak them out.

:lachen:

I agree, with that. I take my bag or case of products when I go get my hair done. After I got a relaxer, pulled out my moisture treatment, and protein treatment, then redid a moisture treatment, she was like again!!!!! She said I guess that is why for the whole process you only had 3 strands of hair come out, so I guess you doing something right. YOU THINK!!!!

I voted for Deep Conditioning, a very good deep conditioner will withstand much abuse. I have deep conditioned monthly for years, and As I increased my heat I increased my deep conditioning with minimal to no breakage. I am currently growing my hair back out after a BIG CHOP. Yet when my hair was longer I wasn't the nicest especially on my way to work, I just washed raked through it and left. SO....., I have abused my own hair (it stayed long), blow fryed it (it stayed long), Gelled it to death, I did alot of bad stuff, and my hair was still long and after deep conditioning for a while it looked just as healthy as before the Harsh Treatment, I was a firm believer of frequent trimming and Still AM!

(In the tune of "LET MY PEOPLE GO")

LET THOSE SPLIT ENDS GO!!!!!:rolleyes:

Back