would you accept a fake diamond for your engagement ring?

would you accept a fake diamond?

• yes...it is merely a symbol of our love...it doesn't define it

Votes: 70 23.1%
  • yes...but i would expect a real one somewhere down the line

Votes: 46 15.2%
  • yes...but i would secretly be ashamed of it

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • no...come correct or don't come at all

Votes: 176 58.1%

• Total voters
Well I don't understand how a ring determines the life your onna live when ppl die and lose their jobs everyday.
Especially if the money towards my house I'd on my ring. The moment that a stone determines someone's worth in my life means I should just marry the stone.
I can understand if I never knew at all it was fake, yes I would be mad but really mossiate (sp??) Is fine with me
Shoot, maybe that's y some ppl get divorced they get a certain type of ring and then think evrything else is gonna be like that.

Because men's psychology is different and the moment they cheapen the deal, they cheapen the relationship with the woman. The ring is symbolic..of what she will get in the marriage. I'm not talking about the biggest Graff diamond possible, I'm talking what he's willing to put into a symbol of love and marriage...to gift her...to honor her.

I agree with the above by GV. REAL men take pride in the ring they give to the woman he loves. That's why they agnoize on picking the perfect one. They want to see the water works and the excitement; just as much as the woman wants the water works and excitement.

No, but I don't like imitation gemstones anyway. If it happened to be that he couldn't afford a real diamond, I'd much rather have some other stone that was real but less expensive than to have a fake diamond.

Yes, I would. I'm not marrying the ring, I'm marrying the man. A ring is simply a symbol, nothing more. What matters is the love that the two of you have for oneanother and the commitment you will make to God. If I felt that strongly about a ring that I would risk the relationship with the man then I shouldn't be marrying in the first place. For the sake of not stepping on toes, I will say that some of the things we concern ourselves with are trivial. Whether the rock is real, big or small has no bearing on how your marriage will be. It does not mean that he loves you any more or any less. With that being said, my ring is real. My marriage is real and our love for eachother is real. If my ring were fake, I'd love him the same.

I have not read one comment or even the OP but I will say this: If someone is so superficial as to not accept my ring which is JUST A SYMBOL then that must mean you dont want what the symbol represents, my love.

With that, said person could KMA.

Women complain about there are no good men :blah: :blah: :blah: but when one is staring you in the face we go out and do dumb stuff like kick him to the curb over material things. Maybe we need to get a 15 caret ring and cuddle up with that at night. Get that ring to take care of us and be with us and be a shoulder to lean on.

:iloveyou:

I wonder how many women that want real diamonds are engaged or married. Just curious.

Last edited:

I wonder how many women that want real diamonds are engaged or married. Just curious.

:giggle:

That would indeed, be interesting to see. I suspect most of the ones willing to accept a man-made diamond are married.

And I missed SF's post the first go around, but yes. Same sentiments I had in the 'how much should he spend' thread. :nono:

It's - fascinating - to see the assumptions that people make about the value judgments and reasoning behind choosing to wear an man-made stone, and the judgments around the quality of love between a man who gives and a woman who accepts a man-made stone are ludicrous, to say the least.

If you want a real diamond, fine - enjoy your environmentally and socially destructive piece of bling.
But please, don't imply that my husband loves me less or gives me the short end of the 'artificial' love stick because I wanted a man-made stone.

Marketing is a beast. :lachen:

run a spin off thread if you really want to know. poll options: a) i'd accept fake and i'm married or engaged b) i'd accept fake and i'm single / dating, c) I wouldn't accept . . . and so on.

i don't do fake diamonds. inexpensive ring? okay. fake? negative. i'd rather have a plain gold band than something fake. i'm single.

Married for 20 years, real diamond solitare, none of that crushed ice mess! :yep: :lachen:Divorced got married to someone else, real diamond! :lachen:

ETA: Not directed at you Pink 'n Green Curls, but if a person wants to wear a rubber band around their finger and it represents their love, rock on! I just wouldn't be happy a ring like that. I like diamonds, sue me.

Last edited:
I don't think I could. Well maybe, but only if I really understood his financial situation, and before we officially got married, he would have to upgrade, or at least give me a real stone up in that summmnabeez!

My mother always told me to view my ring as a deposit on my future. He would have to spend x amount of dollars, not to be flashy, but to ensure that he is committing for the long haul, and in the event of a dire emergency, you always will have some capital to rely on aka pawn that sucka.
:lachen::lachen:

Married for 20 years, real diamond solitare, none of that crushed ice mess! :yep: :lachen:Divorced got married to someome else, real diamond! :lachen:

ETA: Not directed at you Pink 'n Green Curls, but if a person wants to wear a rubber band around their finger and it represents their love, rock on! I I just wouldn't be happy a ring like that. I like diamonds, sue me.

I feel you, but would you have regretted your DH's proposal if he didn't give you a real diamond?

A Fake Diamond HELLLLLLLL NOOOOO. Are you kidding me. I have had some friends back in the past that found out that their diamonds were fake. NO Fake diamond Fake man.

All I know was that my sister-in-law got engaged about a week after me (got married a day apart to... lol), and she got this real big real ring, and I got a real one too (we opted to be able to pay in full at purchase instead of getting a payment plan like SIL's man), but more modest. I was jealous at first, but I didn't care too much after a while.

Now, I've just got my second ring (we agreed that I'd get another one on our fifth) once again paid in full at purchase, while sis in law still has the ring, but three car repos and a house foreclosure later, it seems we were better off getting what we could afford and *investing in our future* versus buying rings we couldn't afford that showed *everyone else that we were investing in our future*

Mind, if you got it (and you won't be taking out a loan just to get it) flaunt it! I just think that getting the ring and GETTING MARRIED IS JUST THE BEGINING.
The ring is the least of your concerns when it comes to marriage! LOL

Oh, and just because he doesn't give you a real diamond, or a small diamond doesn't mean he doesn't treasure you. What? Shouldn't him staying with you for the rest of his life - no cheating, lying, foolishness- be enough of a commitment to show you that you're prized? And what does getting a fake ring have anything to do with settling? It boggles my mind, quite frankly. I severely doubt that for most of the women who have had engagements fall through ( I have had one fall through so please understand I'm talking from experience) that it was because he gave a fake ring. I'm pretty sure the failings layed with the MAN, not the object.

Or maybe I'm just crazy. lol After reading all these replies I'm thinking I should have demanded a bigger ring for the show of it (and have gone into debt) than having two rings now with no debt! Is the material so important?

Last edited:
whaaaaaat! No way! Not trying to be mean because it is not about the diamond but if he really couldn't afford a diamond just give me a solid gold band..you can get those for cheap. I'd rather have that.

No! I wouldn't accept a fake ring; and if I found out that he gave me a fake ring, yes, I would be very upset about it. I would confront it about it and return it to him.

I went months without an engagement ring cause I wanted the right one. I told DH that I didn't want a ring that cost less that $5K. We went ring shopping together and I got a beautiful set. He has a nice ring too with a diamond in it as well. We're both very happy. :grin:

I feel you, but would you have regretted your DH's proposal if he didn't give you a real diamond?

I didn't accept the small ring DH husband #2 wanted to give me. :nono: I wasn't going from a big ring to a smaller ring. :nono: I would honestly rather have nothing. :yep: He knew I was a handful when he proposed, I asked him if he thought he could handle me and he said yes. :yep: :lachen::grin: Don't want to accept less if I don't have to. :nono:

Back