would you accept a fake diamond for your engagement ring?

would you accept a fake diamond?

• yes...it is merely a symbol of our love...it doesn't define it

Votes: 70 23.1%
  • yes...but i would expect a real one somewhere down the line

Votes: 46 15.2%
  • yes...but i would secretly be ashamed of it

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • no...come correct or don't come at all

Votes: 176 58.1%

• Total voters
Not CZ.

I'd prefer a man-made diamond.:yep:

My guy is not that thoughtful. He'd get a real diamond off of bluenile.com and not even check if it's conflict-free. :nono:

NO
Personally I'm not really into diamonds, or furs, or anything along those lines. I feel like he should know me better than trying to surprise me with something fake. I would rather have him get me something real that he knows I would really like. I'm not hung up on rings either but if he expects me to wear one it better be original and not fake. To me a fake diamond is like- dude you didn't even try! He would know that I would really love a simple platinum or silver band engraved with a message of his love for me.

Hell to the naw......did it once before, so I've done my charity work!

What Patiencevirtue said "stack your paper,go to Tiffany's/Bailey Banks & Biddle/Tacori/DeBeers..et al...and get your mind right!"

would you accept it and wear it or rather wait until he can afford a real one?

would you think that perhaps he wouldn't be able to provide you with the quality of life you expect?

if you found out on your own account, would you confront him/be upset?

I would not accept a fake ring, unless we were dirt poor and had no hope of ever getting out of debt. Other than that, a fake ring is simply not acceptable for me. I'm not into jewelry that much, but I would expect an engagement ring to hold a real gem.

Damn that, I'm not understanding why getting a fake ring would go through a man's mind. Are we going to live in a fake house and buy groceries with fake money? :lachen:

I know from my male friends that have money. THey just see it as money that could be used for a down payment for a bigger house, money that could go towards closing. Money that could be used to pay for the expensive wedding (another waste of money for most guys) etc.

Sometimes guys dont want to go into debt with a ring and would prefer to get a knock-off and then upgrade. It has nothing to do with being poor, moreso than being frugal.

I asked my guy friend why not get her a small diamond and he said because he didnt want her to be embarrased. where as a moisonnite/diamonique type thing looks closer to the real thing and can get a bigger size until you have money to upgrade.

Most of my friends who have been married 3 to 5 years have all had upgrades anyway regardless if they originally had real/fake diamonds.

I don't like rings,It's annoying to me. I like my fingers to be free. I prefer some other type of jewelry. But I couldn't care less.

Yes, I would. It wouldn't bother me because I see so many women out there with their real diamonds getting divorced or dealing with excessive drama througout their marriage.

The only reason it would bother me is if he lied and pretended it was real. I don't like any sort of lie.

:yep::yep:

would you think that perhaps he wouldn't be able to provide you with the quality of life you expect?

No I wouldn't becasue to me that is a sign of how serious they are about getting married. One of the signs.

I would because I am VERY picky and I'd rather have the exact style ring I want than a style that I hate just because it's a real diamond and within his price range.

There would have to be some sort of agreement that in a few years my stone would be replaced with a real diamond or some other gem stone.

But in general, I don't think a diamond ring can determine how a man will treat you or your marriage.

I'm only 26, so I know if I was 35 or 40, I would be all "hell to the naw" but at this point it my life I'd rather have the commitment than the bling. I don't even like rings like that.

and I hate that talk about "we could put this money towards closing costs to buy a house" or "have a great wedding". An engagement ring should be a a priority just like these other two things!

and I hate that talk about "we could put this money towards closing costs to buy a house" or "have a great wedding". An engagement ring should be a a priority just like these other two things!

I agree and how would he like it, if I stop giving him the goodies until we get married. I mean since we want to reason why a man shouldn't buy someone a real ring and we want to believe it's about savings and coupon clippings, let me save my goodies until the wedding night. :yep:

I had a friend whose husband gave her a lab created emerald and told everyone it was real. I remember one day at dinner he was bragging about it. I took a good look at it and could tell it was fake (I love my emeralds !). I asked her if it was real and she said he said it was. I didn't say a word about what I thought. But I would not want a man to do that to me. :nono:

I would and I did. Too many people place emphasis on material stuff. Black folks need to go back to the basics....like Love and Family to hell with a ring. Truthfully most people who's husband can afford big 5 carat type of rocks, are wearing plain old gold or silver bands....because their marriage ain't about the ring.....it's about the love.

I would and I did. Too many people place emphasis on material stuff. Black folks need to go back to the basics....like Love and Family to hell with a ring. Truthfully most people who's husband can afford big 5 carat type of rocks, are wearing plain old gold or silver bands....because their marriage ain't about the ring.....it's about the love.

Do you feel that way because you didn't get one? :yep:

ETA: I have a large diamond and I don't wear a band. I wear my diamond on my finger.

Last edited:

I agree. I told my husband to be that we would have to sit down and have a SERIOUS come to the gods talk if he went out and spent that kind of money on a damn piece of squished DIRT - and he could easily afford it. :lachen::lachen: Esp. one that has been killing - KILLING - black children for hundreds of years - I wouldn't be able to hold my hand up from the weight of the blood dripping off of it.

I'm still a magpie though, and I like my sparkle. So, I'm rocking a 1.5 carat manmade diamond - cost about 10% of the real one, looks just as good, and there is no guilt surrounding it.

*looks at hand* I do need to get it cleaned though, umrph.

I'd definitely accept and wear it. I don't have expensive tastes, but a couple thousand dollars (and by "couple thousand", I mean $2K to $3K- which is what my ring wound up costing) can be a lot to come up with in a short period of time. As long as it's an affordability issue and not a 'you don't need that ring' issue (and I can say that because I asked my husband what ring he wanted and got him exactly what he asked for) it's really not a problem.

I'd definitely accept and wear it. I don't have expensive tastes, but a couple thousand dollars (and by "couple thousand", I mean $2K to $3K- which is what my ring wound up costing) can be a lot to come up with in a short period of time. As long as it's an affordability issue and not a 'you don't need that ring' issue (and I can say that because I asked my husband what ring he wanted and got him exactly what he asked for) it's really not a problem.

I agree with the highlighted and don't understand why some are getting upset. Everyone should do them! :yep:

Yes, I would. It wouldn't bother me because I see so many women out there with their real diamonds getting divorced or dealing with excessive drama througout their marriage.

The only reason it would bother me is if he lied and pretended it was real. I don't like any sort of lie.

At the bolded, this reminded me of an event that happened on a local radio station here. The radio station was going to do their own version of Deal or No Deal except instead of cash it was going to be jewelry. Well this guy called in and desperately said he had to be the contestant they chose because for the last 7 or so years his wife thought that her ring was real and their anniversary was coming up. His excuse was that he did it so that he could take care of some debt before they got married.

The radio station said they would pick him and then afterwards, he would have to confess on the air:sad:. Long story short they ended up with some expensive ring or bracelet and then it came time for the confession. You could literally feel the tension through the radio. He told her the truth, and then she told him that she knew the ring was fake because he never let her take it to get it cleaned and one day she did it by herself and the jeweler told her it was fake. And to top it all off, for their anniversary she got him a really nice watch.

My SO knows better than to pull a stunt like that. I would rather wait for my diamond and know that it won't put you further into debt than go through that type of embarassment.

nope. no self-respecting guy would propose to the woman he truly loves with a fake diamond no matter how broke the guy is. He wants his wife-to-be showing off that thing with pride.

Nope, if he cant get me a real diamond then dont get a fake one. I wouldnt buy myself a fake one to wear for eternity so I wouldnt expect someone else to buy me a fake one. Buy what he can afford but I've been in love with a guy so bad he could've wrapped a candy wrapper around my finger and I would've been content. :look:

absolutely not.... I wouldn't accept a fake anything for that matter

if you cant buy me a damn near flawless 2-3carats of princess-cut stone set in platinum, its obvious that you dont want to get married in the first place

Ordinarily I'm not into material possessions, but I'd insist on a real ring. The purpose of a man buying you a ring is to prove that he's ready for a commitment. The fact that he plunked down a significant amount of cash shows that he's really serious. It also shows (in most cases) that his finances are in order and ready for marriage. I don't need the man to spend $10K on it or anything, but I do want it to be enough to show that he's for real.

I have been there done that with the fake ring, or the "I"ll get you a ring later" thing and the guy did end up being a loser. I think I'd prefer for the guy to wait until he is financially able to buy a nice ring before he proposes if it's a problem.

I agree with the bolded. I did get a real ring and I don't even want to talk about how long it took him to pay it off, when I think about the price along with interest, fees etc.... I would have much rather had the money in the bank account. My husband and I are so different in terms of material stuff. I would have accepted a fake ring but he has too much pride to have bought me one. I thought I had lost my engagement ring once and about died when I thought about telling him I lost something he was still paying on, if it were fake we could have replaced it without blinking and kept it moving.

absolutely not.... I wouldn't accept a fake anything for that matter

if you cant buy me a damn near flawless 2-3carats of princess-cut stone set in platinum, its obvious that you dont want to get married in the first place

So when he proposes, he better come with some GIA certification papers (otherwise, unless some of ya'll are closet jewelers, you will have NO WAY of knowing whether or not your ring is real, let alone if its flawless)???

Even SI and SI2 is hard to see with the naked eye. And let your eyes be a little teary (and your vision is blurry) and you won't see a damn thing but a man on his knee asking you to be his for the rest of HIS life.

So when he proposes, he better come with some GIA certification papers (otherwise, unless some of ya'll are closet jewelers, you will have NO WAY of knowing whether or not your ring is real, let alone if its flawless)???

Even SI and SI2 is hard to see with the naked eye. And let your eyes be a little teary (and your vision is blurry) and you won't see a damn thing but a man on his knee asking you to be his for the rest of HIS life.

I dont forsee that scenario every happening to me.... I dont think anyone that knows me (mother, father, family, friends, SO) would even try it. Matter of fact, I'm notorious for expressing my disapproval/approval for presents that almost everyone asks me specifically (I emphasize specifically) what they should or should not buy me since childhood. If someone hasnt seen a detailed picture of what I want, 95% of the time they take me with them to pick it out or give me the money to get it myself.

Back