Who said to use Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion on your hair?

Last night I used the Asquith and Somerset cocoa butter all over body moisturizer that I got from Marshall's. The first five ingredients are water, cocoa butter, shea butter, almond oil and coconut oil. It also has vitamin E. I was just experimenting since I am going to wash my hair today anyway. My hair is so moist this morning, I can't keep my hands out of it.

I told my BFF I used lotion on my hair yesterday and she was :ohwell:. She's real skeptical about hair stuff, but I digress...Look at the ingredients on page 2 of this thread. They're good, and if you look at ingredients for say Pink Lotion the VICL is way better. The only downside I can see is maybe having to clarify more often? Maybe not. All I know is my hair dried super soft and is still soft this morning.

If you want to try but are scurred, do a strand test!! Just put some on a couple strands and see what happens...Remember hair grows from skin the now.
See I don't think this sounds weird at all. I know of a lot of women that use lotion in their babies and young ones hair. Actually I think I remember remember in Andre Walker's book he said he uses it's a staple for his hair (correct me anyone if I'm wrong). I really don't see anything harmful about it I mean the ingredients don't sound anything more off the wall than some of the hair products we use or have used and we do use it on our skin right. I will be buying some tonight to try. Did anyone find the original thread?

I just had to share this little thing. I was at my MIL house and we stayed overnight. I realized the next day that I didn't have my hair products with me (duh) so, I looked at what she had. She had some Johnson and Johnson Baby Lotion and some Johnson and Johnson Baby Oil Gel (chamomile I think) anyways, I used some in my hair...first the lotion, then the oil gel to seal....MY HAIR WAS THE SOFTEST EVER, and this was after all day working and being in the cold. I couldn't believe it. :blush:

I went and purchased some for myself, just to see if it would do it again and VOILA...my hair is curlier, softer, more moisterized than ever before....I'm thrilled to say the least because its so not easy to find a leave in that keeps your hair moisterized throughout the day without drying out by the end of the day and then you have to re-moisterize. I think I have found my perfect match!:yep:

I used to use the baby oil gel all the time back in the day! I loved it! It has great shine too.

a friend of mien with natural 3c hair used to use baby lotion on her hair..her hair was hiplength throughout school

not for me though :)

I haven't tried the lotion yet, but I did try the Vaseline Cocoa Butter Gel. It smells great and really sinks into skin after a shower, plus it seemed to smooth down my hair and hairline when I pulled my hair into a bun the other day.

Not to mention it smells wonderful!!

See I don't think this sounds weird at all. I know of a lot of women that use lotion in their babies and young ones hair. Actually I think I remember remember in Andre Walker's book he said he uses it's a staple for his hair (correct me anyone if I'm wrong). I really don't see anything harmful about it I mean the ingredients don't sound anything more off the wall than some of the hair products we use or have used and we do use it on our skin right. I will be buying some tonight to try. Did anyone find the original thread?

I completely agree. THe three lotions (total cost of ($3.79 altogether) and the body moisturizer I have tried in my hair have wonderful ingredients (vitamin E, panthenol, cocoa butter, shea butter, nettle, rosemary, coconut oil, almond oil, aloe vera...) or else they wouldn't have gone near my hair. THey have similar or better ingredients than the hair moisturizers I have tried, which cost a great deal more. The stuff I got from Marshalls was $5.00 for 8.5ounces and it is as thick and luscious as anything I have bought for my hair for three times the price. I also remember seeing this in a model's secrets book back in the 1990s.

I used to use the baby oil gel all the time back in the day! I loved it! It has great shine too.

Hi Poka,

It works so well for me and my hair has a natural shine to it and not very greasy for me either. Blended with lotion, my hair has never been better since I've been a natural.

I'm forever grateful for whoever started the original thread about VICL.

I use the Vaseline Cocoa Butter lotion on my skin right now. I will give it a try on my hair since my Abba Nourishing is almost done. Lotion always has such good stuff in it so I can only imagine it would give good results. I have used creamy hair products on my skin before, including Abba Nourishing, but they never moisturized as well as my favourite lotions (Vaseline, Olay Quench, Aveeno, Lubriderm Advanced Moisture). Using lotion on hair will probably moisturize better than a lot of my hair products! And the price difference makes this very appealing to me.:think:

Last edited:
I have to jump on the bandwagon with this idea. I've used the VICL mixed with Fantasia serum and my hair is very soft and moisturized (even the ends, which is surprising. I use about a tablespoon of the mixture and put it throughout the hair and back in a protective style.

very interesting.. ill have to try this,, how much r u guys using and is it just for ends or all over........ i see nothing wrong with this btw,, Curlygirl routine tells you to leave in rinse out conditioner which somehow seems scarier to me.... I recall using lotion to tame flyaway hairs in JHS

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.... PLUS it's a WHOLE LOT cheaper. I think I've been hoodwinked.:look:

Yeah, I spent $18 for my 1 L bottle of Abba Nourishing on sale. I pay a couple bucks for 725ml of Vaseline Cocoa Butter. :wallbash: I'm really glad I read this post before I ran out and picked up another bottle of Abba Nourishing.

You know a lady told me that her stylist uses lotion in her hair then rinses it out. She uses it like a conditioner wash except it's with lotion. I may have to try this. :)

Yeah, I spent $18 for my 1 L bottle of Abba Nourishing on sale. I pay a couple bucks for 725ml of Vaseline Cocoa Butter. :wallbash: I'm really glad I read this post before I ran out and picked up another bottle of Abba Nourishing.

I know. Now the only thing that sucks is I can't find it out here!!!!:wallbash: I REFUSE to pay 3x the cost of the product in shipping charges.:sad:

very interesting.. ill have to try this,, how much r u guys using and is it just for ends or all over........ i see nothing wrong with this btw,, Curlygirl routine tells you to leave in rinse out conditioner which somehow seems scarier to me.... I recall using lotion to tame flyaway hairs in JHS

I was thinking the same thing.....that is scarier to me.

I have to jump on the bandwagon with this idea. I've used the VICL mixed with Fantasia serum and my hair is very soft and moisturized (even the ends, which is surprising. I use about a tablespoon of the mixture and put it throughout the hair and back in a protective style.
Girl I want that Tee Shirt in your siggy!!!!!

OT, but how do you like that Nourishing compared to the Vaseline? I LOVE Abba products, but I am afraid to stray away from my current leave-in and moisturizing products. Do you use it as a leave-in or moisturizer?

Can I share something?

Since using VICL, I have NOT had to comb my hair....I just use my fingers and its a breeze. The other thing I noticed is that I don't have to smooth my edges with a brush when I'm wearing a ponypuff, it is so smooth all by itself.

The other thing I noticed since using this is that my hair washes better. When its time for shampoo, I rinse my hair first with the water and then put in shampoo and it's as if I used conditioner in my hair instead. No tangles...just smooth hair.

I do have to clarify more often than before though...but just a little goes along way.

I only use about a tablespoon of the lotion all over my head and it is perfect. And, because I use so little, the bottle will last me for quite some time i'm sure. I have used a little Jergens Ultra Healing in my hair to see the difference and I like that too...but I'm a little more apprehensive because the ingredients are a little different than with Vaseline..which I love the ingredients in VICL.

I use a little oil to seal and I'm soft till the next day...nice and moisterized...amazing!

Girl I want that Tee Shirt in your siggy!!!!!

Isn't that t-shirt nice. I really need to order it and actually wear it, instead of just having it as my sig pic. People can be so stereotypical when it comes to people of color with long hair. So that t-shirt pretty much sums it up.

OT, but how do you like that Nourishing compared to the Vaseline? I LOVE Abba products, but I am afraid to stray away from my current leave-in and moisturizing products. Do you use it as a leave-in or moisturizer?

I use Abba as a leave-in after I wash my hair. I don't usually use it as a daily moisturizer because it makes my hair revert. So far I've only have the chance to use the Vaseline as a moisturizer because I haven't washed my hair yet. It is very moisturizing, and not as watery as Abba Nourishing so not as much reversion.

Ladies, i have a huge bottle of Vaseline Cocoa Butter Deep Conditioning Lotion staring me in the face. Do you think this is ok?????

Ladies, i have a huge bottle of Vaseline Cocoa Butter Deep Conditioning Lotion staring me in the face. Do you think this is ok?????

Try it and see. I use the Total Moisture Conditioning one myself. If it works well for you, I might try that one next.

Try it and see. I use the Total Moisture Conditioning one myself. If it works well for you, I might try that one next.
I just did my daughters hair with some of the cocoa butter vaseline lotion. Just put it in a ponytail. Her hair is VERY dry, it instantly made her her soft/soothed. But, i will see how her hair is tonight as the realy proof.

I just did my daughters hair with some of the cocoa butter vaseline lotion. Just put it in a ponytail. Her hair is VERY dry, it instantly made her her soft/soothed. But, i will see how her hair is tonight as the realy proof.

Ok, let me know. I don't know about the cocoa butter, but the one I use works better than anything I have tried yet.

Back