Who said to use Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion on your hair?

I just bought this one and used it this morning after I clarified and conditioned. This was the only thing I used on my hair and my hair is the softest, moisterized ever, and its 2:30pm. I don't think I need to use anything else on my hair. Thanks for bringing this back to my attention!

There isn't any mineral oil in this, however there is Methylparaben and its near the bottom of the list:

Ingredients:
Water, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Glycol Stearate, Petrolatum, Isopropyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja Sterol (Soybean), Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil (Sunflower), Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Avena Sativa Kernel Protein (Oat), Sodium Stearoyl-2 Lactylate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate), Carbomer, Lecithin, Keratin, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Sodium PCA, Potassium Lactate, Lactic Acid, Collagen Amino Acids, Mineral Water, Fragrance, Triethanolamine, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Urea, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Disodium EDTA, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

I can see why that would work well on hair... I add lecithin, silk, collagen, and soybean oil to my products all the time. silicone only causes me problems when it one of the first 6 ingredients. it's pretty low on this list. The only thing I'm not too sure about is lactic acid. I use it for chemical peels, although I'm sure they use a weaker version here.

ETA: my hair LIkES mineral oil. :ohwell:

Last edited:
How much do u use?
I think I may try this on my next wash this weekend...great for my college student budget...lol...thanks ladies

I can see why that would work well on hair... I add lecithin, silk, collagen, and soybean oil to my products all the time. silicone only causes me problems when it one of the first 6 ingredients. it's pretty low on this list. The only thing I'm not too sure about is lactic acid. I use it for chemical peels, although I'm sure they use a weaker version here.

ETA: my hair LIkES mineral oil. :ohwell:

My hair likes mineral oil as well.

Here is some info on Lactic Acid:

Lactic Acid - A natural, mild organic acid prepared by fermentation. Normally present in blood, sour milk, sauerkraut, pickles, and other food products made by bacterial fermentation. Used in cosmetics to adjust acid/alkali balance. Lactic acid is a primary component in the skin's natural buffer system.

Moisturizers - To be used by those with dry and damaged hair. Lactic acid and lecithin helps the hair to hold more moisture.

I can't believe how soft my hair is since this morning. :yep:

Man, I took my lotion over to SO's house this weekend and I forgot it.

LOL, I called him talking about can you bring my lotion back over when you get here this evening I NEEEEEEEEEEED it. (I want to wash and deep condition my hair tonight but he doesn't know I put it on my head). LOL.

He was like...you got 100 bottles of lotion around there. You mean to tell me you can't wash your butt till I bring this lotion over. :lachen:

I was like, yes sir...that's right.

If I told him I used lotion on my head how crazy would he look at me? :lachen:

I accidentally started using lotion on my twists. I thought I was buying a hair moisturizer since it was with the hair stuff at the bbs-the Jamaican Mango and Lime line is making Mango and Shea body lotion now. Oh well:spinning: my twists lurve it

My hair likes mineral oil as well.

Here is some info on Lactic Acid:

Lactic Acid - A natural, mild organic acid prepared by fermentation. Normally present in blood, sour milk, sauerkraut, pickles, and other food products made by bacterial fermentation. Used in cosmetics to adjust acid/alkali balance. Lactic acid is a primary component in the skin's natural buffer system.

Moisturizers - To be used by those with dry and damaged hair. Lactic acid and lecithin helps the hair to hold more moisture.

I can't believe how soft my hair is since this morning. :yep:

Well... thanks for settin' me straight. :hug2: I'm actually on my way to the drug store. I'll pick up some VICL while I'm there. :yep:

UPDATE: I didn't find any VICL but I did find Vaseline Total Moisture Conditioning Body Lotion. It has EXACTLY the same ingredients you posted.

Last edited:
I used Fruit of the Earth hydrating lotion with shea butter, vitamin E, aloe Vera, sunflower seed oil, wheat germ oil, panthenol and vitamin A.

Like the oil on eyelashes, I did not think it would work for me, but I was bored and tried it anyway and it works like a charm. My hair is super-soft and moisturized -- with slip!!! I did mix it with my herb infused olive butter that I use every evening to seal. This combo seems to work waaaayyyy better than just using my olive butter by itself to seal -- maybe because the lotion is water-based. My hair is not oily or greasy at all this morning. This lotion does have mineral oil in it, but my hair is not minding at all. It also has dimethicone, but both are at the end of the list.

ETA: I did not have lotion at home because I use my butters and oils (olive, shea, avocado, etc.) on my whole body. The FOTE did not have petroleum in it. I read the backs of all the labels before I bought the FOTE in Family Dollar after work yesterday and I purposely did not get a lotion with petroleum in it -- mostly because they were usually the second ingredient -- way too high up on the ingredients list. However, growing up, my mom (and I when I started doing my own hair) used petroleum jelly (exclusively to oil scalp and seal) and I had long, lush hair growing up before relaxing at 14.

Last edited:
Get out of here!! VICL really?! Here I am in the desert devestated because my hair is becoming sooo dry ( ran out of my product and it hasn't came in :perplexed ). I have a ton of that in my "room" I'll have to get on it ASAP! Thanx sooo much! Even if it doesn't work anything is better than nothing!

Get out of here!! VICL really?! Here I am in the desert devestated because my hair is becoming sooo dry ( ran out of my product and it hasn't came in :perplexed ). I have a ton of that in my "room" I'll have to get on it ASAP! Thanx sooo much! Even if it doesn't work anything is better than nothing!

Let us know how it works out!

After all the money I have spent -- $6.00 here, $12.00, there, $18.00 over yonder, etc. for hair moisturizers, it is just too ironic that something I paid $1.50 could give me these results. The thing is is that I read about this years ago in a hair tips book...

Has anyone tried the Vaseline Cocoa Butter Deep Conditioning lotion? It comes in the bronze bottle...I think I'm going to run out and get this :yep:.

hmm... all of the ingredients look okay except for petrolatum... i read somewhere that petrolatum just coats the hair, kind of like saran wrap, and prevents moisture from getting into the shaft...

but all of these positive reviews are really making me want to give it a try...

i'm so confused! :drunk:

I actually use the VICL Cocoa Butter to combat ash. I just put some in my hair to see what happens. Feels good so far, soft and moist but not greasy. I want to see what happens to the new growth I am fighting with.

I have been having problems with too much protein and not enough moisture, so I started using the regime (I can't remember who passed it on, sorry!!) with CON shampoo and conditioner and AtOne Botanical Reconstructor Conditioner. If VICL works, then I will have a moisturizer without protein.

WOW....I remember hearing about folks doing this back in the day. I think people used baby lotion though. I think I would feel weird about it because it is intended for the skin, but looking at the ingredients and comparing it to some of the products I already have, I think I am liking the idea of this. I may have to look into this when I run out of my current moisturizers.

See this is exactly why I am baldheaded now. Tempting threads like this. I got some sitting in my cabinet. and if I didnt have these twists in right now, I would already have a review myself! :lachen:Temptation is a mutha lol I m a recovering PJ, I am a recovering PJ................. :master:

Last edited:
See this is exactly why I am baldheaded now. Tempting threads like this. I got some sitting in my cabinet. and if I didnt have these twists in right now, I would already have a review myself! :lachen:Temptation is a mutha lol I m a recovering PJ, I am a recovering PJ................. :master:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Ok, I just did a cowash and put about a tablespoon of VICL throughout the hair like a leave in...my curls are extremely soft and its actually helping with my shrinkage!! I think I like this :yep:

You know, I just stumbled across some Vaseline Intensive Care Total Moisture Lotion. I was just here when I walked in to work. I was like "This must be fate!" :look:

As I picked up the bottle, I put some on my hands and my hands feel lovely.....but now I think about putting it on my hair.:perplexed

It is weird that I have a paranoia about putting this on my hair??? I think it's just the fact that I know it is supposed to be for the body. Hmmmm, maybe I will try it when I wash tonight....or maybe I will just continue to be a punk wait 'til I see some more reviews about it! :lachen:

Let us know how it works out!

So I got to my room last night and dove into it...wrapped my hair and went to bed. When I woke this morning and combed my hair down it was sooo super soft! I love it:clap:! No more desert dryness...but I will only continue until my mizani gets here...I don't think this could be a long term thing...

I found some more cheap lotion at Maxway with awesome ingredients like cocoa butter, aloe vera, calendula, chamomile, burdock, nettle, linden, honey, comfrey, etc. It has some mineral oil in it down on the list and no petroleum. I did this again last night and mixed with the FOTE lotion and a little of my olive butter. Today, my hair is smooth-satiny-soft and one of my colleagues, just touched my hair saying: "Ooooh it looks so soft." It is in a bun, btw....I keep feeling it myself. This is a keeper.

ETA: This lotion thing has given my hair something it has never (except the twice a year I flat-iron) in it natural air-dried state. It has given my hair slip. You will not see the word "slip" in any of my nearly 600 posts on this forum, so this is quite an amazing thing to me.

Last edited:
Is there a potential for any long term damage from using VICL in this way? Does anyone see a down side to it?:perplexed

I told my BFF I used lotion on my hair yesterday and she was :ohwell:. She's real skeptical about hair stuff, but I digress...Look at the ingredients on page 2 of this thread. They're good, and if you look at ingredients for say Pink Lotion the VICL is way better. The only downside I can see is maybe having to clarify more often? Maybe not. All I know is my hair dried super soft and is still soft this morning.

If you want to try but are scurred, do a strand test!! Just put some on a couple strands and see what happens...Remember hair grows from skin the now.

When I put my hair in a pony I put this on my sides and back to smooth my hair down and it does keep it soft. I have been doing this for some time now, I use this lotion for me and my daughter we have picky skin and my hair loves it also.

Ya'll got me thinking about this lotion thing....

My staple moisturizer is Ojon Tawaka Rejuvenating Cream and Im running low, it cost like 65 bucks a jar (I can get it a little cheaper on qvc). However, its the only thing that I have found to moisturize my hair. My problem is that I really need to get some christmas gifts for my family before I spend another penny on myself. So, I wanted to find something a little cheaper to hold me over until I can restock on my ojon. Just about every hair moisturizer I have used in the past has been a disapointment to me, they just dont moisturize, So I decided to look into Palmers cocoa butter lotion since it contains some of the same ingredients as my beloved ojon. Well I used Palmers last night and it worked like a charm. I don't think I will give up my Ojon however, this will allow me to stretch it a lot further if I use both the ojon and palmers. Thanks Ladies!!!

I told my BFF I used lotion on my hair yesterday and she was :ohwell:. She's real skeptical about hair stuff, but I digress...Look at the ingredients on page 2 of this thread. They're good, and if you look at ingredients for say Pink Lotion the VICL is way better. The only downside I can see is maybe having to clarify more often? Maybe not. All I know is my hair dried super soft and is still soft this morning.

If you want to try but are scurred, do a strand test!! Just put some on a couple strands and see what happens...Remember hair grows from skin the now.

Ok....here goes nothin'.:ohwell: I just washed and I am air-drying in a ponytail. I got this bottle sitting on my lap right now. I don't know why I am all scared like I am about to try drugs for the first time or something...:lachen:

I even looked at the ingredients and I am STILL trippin'. Imma stop being a punk and put this in my hair. I will let ya'll know how it went tomorrow.....

MAN!!! The things we do for beauty....:rolleyes:

Ok, so I washed my hair. I decided to the VICL. My hair felt a little rough as I was applying, so I knew that if this stuff was gonna work that it had it's work cut out for it tonight. :lachen:

Now, I am like 10 months post and basically my NG doesn't like me. We have had beef since like month 4. This was the only thing I put on my extra picky hair. I let my 4a/4b hair airdry in plaits. I knew there was something going on when I could actually get a comb through it. I was like "huh?":ohwell: Then as I was braiding down, I felt the silkiness and moisture all the way down to the ENDS!!! I mean, it was SILKY. That's when I was like "Yeaaaaaahh Boooooy!!!":yep:

My hair is about 98% dry and Oh my goodness.....I don't believe it. My ends.....my always wanna be dry ends are so moist, and NOT GREASY!!! That NEVER happens to me. Maybe with my profective break-free and some Vaseline in a baggy, but not with something so light and so cheap :grin:

So here is my review:

-It's very moisturizing
-Gave enough slip to detangle my almost 10 months worth of NG
-It's light
-It's not greasy
-Left my extra resistant hair soft even in Iraq

BEAUTIFUL JOB LADIES!!!!:drunk:

Back