Whats the worst thing a stylist has done to your hair?!!

A stylist (recommended by my cousin) relaxed my already fine hair BONE STRAIGHT. Then she rollerset it. I left out the salon in a wrap because I wanted a fresh look for a funeral. When I combed down the wrap my hair was so bone straight that I could not cover the parts from the rollers.:mad: I had also lost a lot of my edges. :( And to think she kept assuring me that she was giving me a very mild relaxer.:mad:

She didn't rinse, wash out completely the relaxer from my touch-up on the left side of my nape. It was like a patch of hair missing in the back of my head. This was last March. I'm just getting that section full again.

-Getting repeated bantu relaxers for about year when I was a child. Took my hair from a little past APL to above the shoulder.

-At the age of 12 I took my first and last trip to a hair braider. I got my hair partially braided so in order to hold the braid and keep it from coming loose she used glue. After she finished she then proceeded to run her scissors along the individuals braids to "clean" and make it look neat. Between her gluing my hair and cleaning it, I went from just slightly above APL to right above my shoulders. I was pissed.:mad:

-Going to the salon in general for a relaxer. I would always dred going to the salon because of the intense pain I would experience, but I always thought that you were supposed to have the scabs on your head after getting a relaxer (something that came with the territory), until I came to this site. So I guess I need to start looking for a new stylist.

Last edited:
After she washed out my relaxer she laid my head back on the bowl but forgot to rinse the edge of the bowl for any relaxer residue. My hair completely broke off in the back. I cut it all off.

Some of these stories are so scary. At times the mistreatment is so outrageous it seems deliberate.

kandi1280 said:
After she washed out my relaxer she laid my head back on the bowl but forgot to rinse the edge of the bowl for any relaxer residue. My hair completely broke off in the back. I cut it all off.
kandi1280 said:
Some of these stories are so scary. At times the mistreatment is so outrageous it seems deliberate.

This happened to me, but I have a very sensitive scalp. I immediately felt it before she did the comb out. I asked the stylist to rinse my hair again, and she was like "You felt that relaxer?" I was like "Yes." :ohwell: :cool: :mad:. She rinsed again and all was well.

babyanjel said:
A few years ago a "stylist" proceeded to relax my hair from root to tip (I went for a touch up), detangled with a fine rat-tail comb, put me under the hooded dryer then still ripped through my hair with a round brush as she blow dried my hair AGAIN, then flat ironed my hair with no heat protectant to the point where I saw smoke, then she attempted to give me a trim. But when I saw her coming at me with those scissors I high tailed it outta there.

Needless to say, I never went back there again, but that was years ago and I've had a great relationship with all my stylists since.:)

OT: Ure hair is gorgeous, lady!!! Do you have a Fokti? :)

shakira74 said:
Biocheek, congrats on your weight loss! 30 lbs. is amazing. How did you do it?

Thanks Shakira,

It was hard but mainly I just cut back on what I ate, started exercising, and I joined sparkspeople.com for supplemental support. I'm not at my goal yet but I working hard to reach it.

Uneven trims.!!! This has happened to me TWICE (the last time just a couple of months ago).

Using a too strong relaxer (or maybe it was just left in too long?) that ended up burning my hair out to the scalp. A large area of the front left section was nearly bald........ it took a few years to grow back out and catch up. *smh* This was about 5 years ago.

meaganita said:
I had a stylist (not my regular) double relax me once. She relaxed my hair the first time and it was underprocessed so she told me to come back the next day and she relaxed it again with another brand of relaxer. Needless to say, within 90 days my hair started breaking and shedding very badly. I was at APL at the time and had to cut it to collar bone length.:mad:

Had the same thing happen - the stylist said I needed a corrective when I went to her the first time, when I went back she did it again. In general she used to leave the relaxer on way too long & she used to say it needed to "marinade" because of my texture. Like meat that marinades to the point that it falls of the bone, my hair fell out. It looked great for a month or 2. Then it started looking like someone had taken a razor up & down the length of my hair & my hair just completely thinned & broke off. Never had hair loss like that in all my years of self care & was so hurt to have paid some1 to burn out my pride & joy after I had gone through a grow out period.

Second one is the man who told me I needed a trim & completely shaved the back & sides of my head - (high school horror story.)

- I asked a stylist to dye my hair red. She dyed it BOZO orange. And she said it was great...and i paid her.

- Stylist told me over the phone that it would be about $60...when she finished she said I owed her $300. When I asked her WHY, she itemized EVERYTHING at ridiculously high prices, but she never told me this. I asked her why she did not inform me of this on the phone and she said "It's $300"! I paid her and she gave me a Christian track. :eek:

- This is the worse! I had long hair and wanted my hair cut like Halle Berry. I went to this new guy who cut my hair in a MOHAWK!! And I mean a full fledge MOHAWK!! When he finished and turned me around to the mirror, I started crying and I asked him why he cut my hair in a mohawk...and he said..."I wanted to give you something different".

Time does not allow me to discuss the Billy Ray Cyrus haircut...the time I was in the shop all day from 7am to 11pm waiting to get my hair done... and all of the many trims that turned into FULL fledged UGLY hair cuts.

And folks wonder why I learned to do my own hair! :look:

loved said:
Had the same thing happen - the stylist said I needed a corrective when I went to her the first time, when I went back she did it again. In general she used to leave the relaxer on way too long & she used to say it needed to "marinade" because of my texture. Like meat that marinades to the point that it falls of the bone, my hair fell out. It looked great for a month or 2. Then it started looking like someone had taken a razor up & down the length of my hair & my hair just completely thinned & broke off. Never had hair loss like that in all my years of self care & was so hurt to have paid some1 to burn out my pride & joy after I had gone through a grow out period.

Second one is the man who told me I needed a trim & completely shaved the back & sides of my head - (high school horror story.)

I was drinking something while reading this--you made me fight real hard not to spit it out everywhere :lol: . Im sorry that happened though.

Not completely neutralize the relaxer from my hair or my daughters hair. She started doing hair at her home instead of the salon. She was way to causal for my preference, had friends over, eating all over the place, house was a little messy. She rinsed us out in the kitchen sink. I though I still smelled chemicals but though nothing of it. A few days later the kitchen broke off in my daughters hair and it is still a sensitive area. My hair broke off also. I learned several lessons from that experience.

My former stylist used to apply a ton of setting lotion to my roller sets. Needless to say when I was under the dryer I used to hear my hair pop:mad: When my hair was dry the curls where so stiff and then she would comb it out, I guess I don't have to say what a disaster that was, hair all over the place.

Never again

Tyra B

once a stylist trimmed my hair very uneven. she cut the nape abput 2 inches shorter than the rest of my hair. i was so pissed. i never went back. i cant deal with someone who cant cut hair properly.

my other hairdresser used burnt off part of my hair with the hot comb. that was almost a year ago and my hair hasnt been the same since.

-A stylist put permanent color in my relaxed hair and didn't tell me it was permanent color. Three weeks later, a stylist put a super relaxer and left it in too long. (I usually got regular). I had scalp burns for a week or two. Needless to say, my already short hair fell out to less than an inch, and I had bald spots in the crown area. :mad: I was forced to go natural.

-Last year, I got a wash & flat iron by a stylist. She didn't use heat protector, and used a stove marcel flat iron. She burned parts of my hair.

Boy have I learned alot now that I'm on lhcf.. I've learn alot and hardly trust anyone with my tresses now.:p

MadisonK said:
- I asked a stylist to dye my hair red. She dyed it BOZO orange. And she said it was great...and i paid her.

- Stylist told me over the phone that it would be about $60...when she finished she said I owed her $300. When I asked her WHY, she itemized EVERYTHING at ridiculously high prices, but she never told me this. I asked her why she did not inform me of this on the phone and she said "It's $300"! I paid her and she gave me a Christian track. :eek:

- This is the worse! I had long hair and wanted my hair cut like Halle Berry. I went to this new guy who cut my hair in a MOHAWK!! And I mean a full fledge MOHAWK!! When he finished and turned me around to the mirror, I started crying and I asked him why he cut my hair in a mohawk...and he said..."I wanted to give you something different".

Time does not allow me to discuss the Billy Ray Cyrus haircut...the time I was in the shop all day from 7am to 11pm waiting to get my hair done... and all of the many trims that turned into FULL fledged UGLY hair cuts.

And folks wonder why I learned to do my own hair! :look:

OKAY?! (at the bolded part) My goodness, you have gone through some serious hair drama! Your hair is certainly gorgeous now (after peeking at your fokti :sekret: ) Keep up the good work!

prospurr4 said:
OKAY?! (at the bolded part) My goodness, you have gone through some serious hair drama! Your hair is certainly gorgeous now (after peeking at your fokti :sekret: ) Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Prospurr4!! It has taken a lot of prayer and time to finally have hair I can do myself and like. And I'm forever trying to share knowledge with other women to help them avoid nightmares!

Long time ago...on more than one accasions my stylist chopped off way more than instructed---hair in excellent condition mind you, (though the cuts were cute). Had to quit him, because with him I could never reach my hair length goal. Bless his heart wherever he is :look:

After being natural for so long I wanted a "change" and wanted a relaxer so I could do more with styles...so I went to this salon recommended by a ladie at my mothers church who has nice shoulder length hair and the salon was nice so I said what the hay..My hair is 3C ...The hateful b!sh....
i mean stylist.. just globbed the relaxer on my hair no smoothing and let it sit for like 3 or 5 min needless to say I had straight sections and curly sections and frizzy sections, When I questioned her about it she said relaxers dont take for my type of hair because u need nappy hair to take relaxers only kinky hair gets straight with relaxers:confused: :confused: .. So she asked me how I wanted my hair I said just like ur sisters cuz her sister worked there also and was doing hair beside her.Her sisters hair was BSL with layers ..Mine was just BSL straight(after she flat ironed it to get it straight)...after The hateful b!sh....i mean stylist was finished my hair was layered ;) !!! but barely touching my shoulders:eek: :mad:
I was a cute cut but NOT WHAT I ASKED FOR
she's not at that salon anymore because of complaints

Oh where should I start :scratchch I've had a few bad experiences:

The worst I would say was on the day of my high school senior prom. I made an appointment with the hair stylist 3 months in advance and my mom called every month just to make sure it was still set and called days before the actually appointment. When I arrived at the shop the day of, she was doing someone elses hair; but I wasn't too worried because I was 30 minutes early anyways. After 3 HOURS of waiting for her to finish (she kept saying she was almost done) I decide to leave (I was almost crying) I had a make-up appointment and I still had to get ready, meet up with my date, etc. I was sooooo mad and so was my mom. It would have been fine if my prom was on a Saturday but it was on a Friday, just hours after school and if I didn't go to school that day, I wouldn't have been able to get into the prom. I endend up not getting my hair done for my prom...I was pretty mad.....I never went to see that stylist again!!!:mad:

Back