What was the worst thing you ever did to your hair?

Oh I have a good one.
It's 3'oclock in the morning, I'm still crying over a break up from hours before. I decide to snatch(literally) the sewn in weave OUT of my head. I head to Walmart (looking a hot mess) grab some ghetto gold-Dark & Lovely Dye-go home and dye my half relaxed mostly natural frazzled hair. Drama

Blowdrying and using a curling everyday...
3.gif
My hair looked good, but now, it's so much healthier and looks even better! :drunk:

For me I'd say relaxing every 7 weeks, flat ironing my hair every day, and blow drying and flat ironing my hair on wash day. I used to think whatever a stylist told me to do was gold.

I would relax my hair and when it came time for a touch up, I would put the relaxer on ALL on my hair, not just the new growth...My hair looked like straight crap. Oh and using Sun-In... remember that. Don't ask me why I put that on my hair.

Pokahontas said:
I know all of us probably had some unhealthy hair ways or some hair horror stories before we found hair boards and started taking care of our hair the right way so what would you say was the worst thing you ever did to your hair?

Besides getting a relaxer I think mine would be burning my hair straight with that dang Gold N' Hot crappy iron. I've always been pretty hair concious but this was my downfall. That iron did so much damage to my hair and my goofy butt kept on using it,:lol: . I would let that thing heat up to maximum heat, apply some type of grease (no heat protectant). I could hear my hair sizzle, and when I got to the ends I would put extra grease and iron it over and over to get it really straight:eek: . My hair smelled burned for days.......and I thought this was normal.:( I cringe at the thought of ever having done this.

Oh, I have to add one more......I would never trim my hair. Needless to say it never grew past a certain point.

I'm so glad I found hair boards.:D Please share your experiences.
c010.gif

Hi Pokahontas,
the worst thing I ever did was blow-dry my hair whilst dirty to get rid of knots! My hair literally broke off and melted before my eyes. Needless to say I only use heat occasionally for deep conditioning.

MeechUK

I was thinking about this question last night.

When I was about 8 my mom and I went to this salon run by a friend of hers. This woman, tho a very nice lady, would routinely leave my relaxers on so long I'd have MAJOR scabs and pussing from the burns! I can remember being at the bowl waiting for her to get back to wash that stuff out as my toes curled and I made fists to manage the pain...

This same lady's husband decided to make their own "products" and used them on her customers. I didn't know any better and played guinea pig. I believe I let her cut off ALL my hair to put in a jheri curl I thought I just HAD to have. I don't think it ever processed right, and when I went to show my friends no one would say anything. Eventually it turned into a big afro, and when my brother and I visited London later that year, everyone kept calling me "sonny" because they thought I was a little boy. And a crooked little old man came up and politely asked if he could touch my hair; I guess he was just DYING to know what an (unintentional) afro felt like!

Oh yeah... and one time I wanted my bangs "stacked" (anyone remember this style from the 80s?) and I went to a new stylist to get the look. She SWORE she'd have to cut my hair in the front reeeeeeally short, even tho my friends with stacked bangs had cute longish ones. She assured me she wouldn't make it look bad... and then she proceeded to cut my bangs from temple to temple so impossibly short I couldn't get rollers in them! I think she cut them less than an inch short, and I looked such a fright. How I sobbed! I ran to the car, threw on a baseball cap and cried myself to sleep in the back seat. She came out and offered to do my hair for free the next time. I took her up on a wash and curl--no scissors that time--but I never let that woman do my hair again!

By my teens THANKFULLY I'd found the hairstylist to end all stylists, and my hair was never better than during that time. She stopped doing hair; I still miss her.

Lordy the things we used to do! :D

Last edited:
Sweet_as_jalebi said:
I would relax my hair and when it came time for a touch up, I would put the relaxer on ALL on my hair, not just the new growth...My hair looked like straight crap.

Oh yeah this was me! :yep:

#1 Relaxed TOO often covering entire length EVERY time. Used super strength. Switch up relaxer all the time. Left one way too long so it could "take" and burn to leave scabs...:lol: :eek: :lol:

#2 Me and my cousins and my sister decided to streak our hair with peroxide..talk about breakage city....:nono:

#3 Used ghetto "brown" gel all the time.

#4 Over use of curling iron

#5 Wore a ponytail all the time, same spot, hardly not combing= broken crown area!

#6 Wash? What's that, I ain't no white girl. Washed only during touch time...pathetic.

I've done two things to my hair that I regret...

1. Finding out about CHI flatirons...I'm a slave to the flatiron! I knew nothing about CHI until I came to Miami. Before then, I was just using a flatiron from Sally's. Don't get me wrong, I loves my CHI, but I use it too much. My hair texture has certainly changed and it's not as thick as it used to be.

2. Getting highlights last month...I should have just gone to church that morning...:ohwell:

Colored my hair when I said I would not color for a while, my hair looked fine.:confused: And on top of that I used a color that was not my normal brand and it came ot awful.:mad: I had to try and recolor using another color to tone it down and that didn't even work. Just had to let it grow out.:perplexed

The worst thing I have ever done to my hair was let a psychotic in-home hair stylist put a sew in weave in my hair. I should have stopped her when I noticed that she was using her teeth to cut the end of the thread off after sewing in the tracks but I was young and dumb. It was tight and didn't feel right and when I went to a salon to get my weave styled a couple weeks later the stylist was like "who did your head?" I knew that wasn't good especially when she summoned other stylist over to view the mess. Anyway I took that stuff out a week later with assistance and my hair was to' up. It looked like a chicken had sat on top of my head and literally plucked my hair out. I even had a half dollar sized bald spot on the right side behind my ear that area still isn't right and it has been about eight years since the incident.

Get a relaxer... For a long time i though tmy hair was healthy. But now that Im transitioing I can see a HUGE difference between my natural ahir and my relaxed hair. It looks sad... So thin compared to my napps :)

Second would be dying it twice in a month... My hair is naturally dry. Relaxers didnt make it any better. My hair is a medium brown/sandy/coppery hot mess of a color :lol: I assumed A golden brown would work well on my hair... Not! It looked the same even though I left it on for almost 30 minutes (got caught up watching Jeopady... :nono:). So a few weeks later I dyed it AGAIN. This time the color 'took' but it took the little health of my hair with it.

I really do miss coloring my hair. Teh color got me so many compliments but oh well.... Its not for me.

Back