What a latin guy told me about black couples.....

I'm tired of black men thinking we have attitude problems and that women of other races are better to deal with. Any woman that has good self esteem and confidence won't let a man treat her any kinda way and will tell him about himself. I have seen some black women put up with a lot and keep their mouths shut just like other races so what do black men have to say about those type of women.

I agree with your bolded. At the same time, I try not to stereotype Black Men, just like I wouldn't want them to stereotype me as a Black woman (not a personal attack on you).:)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He feels black women have too much faith in black men.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see why he would say this. I see a lot of black women put up with a lot of CRAP from black men.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think some women of ALL races put up with a lot of crap from their men - not just black women!!

True, but do other races or say "ethnic" groups ask for as many compromises in relationships as we as Black people do? What I mean is, I read some years back in NewsWeek (it has Beyonce and two other black women on the cover) and the article was discussing black women in America, etc. anyway, it got around to relationships and one of the women on the forum (a Publisher) said that black women should "consider the bruthas in prison" because there were some good brothers in there just needing a chance. If they were so good, would they be in there in the first place? Of course, the room went silent according to the narration. True Story! A friend of mine went down the passionate, prison pen-pal of luv scenario. He got out on parole, 'cos now he had an address to give. She married him, 'cos she was Christian and didn't want sex outside of marriage. $10K legal fees later, he violates parole 8 months from his release and is back in prison. She's still married to him, outta her good christian, stick it out mentality. She's lonely, over-worked and now spends most of her time and money on his kid, who showed up outta the blue. True Romance! :nono:

I read something to this effect in Essence, that I should consider the janitor or the guy at Chucky Cheeze, Micky D's as long as he's Black, regardless of my college education and up there salary. Sometimes education, experience put you in different circles, etc. It's not saying that you're better than someone, but you may not have anything in common other than the color of your skin and nice role in the sack. However, the compromise says that I must ignore this and for the sanctity of Black Love, I must compromise my standards,wants, needs, etc and just get a "brutha" at my side.

My name ain't Kizzie and Massa is not around to mate me with Kunta. I'm all for "black" love if you find it, however limiting myself to it.....no. However, the non-black guys have a very hard time and criterium to go through before even getting a chance to take me out. :lachen:They have to pass, you're into me and not the "black thang" test. I make the test up, as I go along. If it runs them away, good! If they stand to have a passionate, intellectual argument with me to support their intentions....then hmmmm.:grin:

Last edited:
True, but do other races or say "ethnic" groups ask for as many compromises in relationships as we as Black people do? What I mean is, I read some years back in NewsWeek (it has Beyonce and two other black women on the cover) and the article was discussing black women in America, etc. anyway, it got around to relationships and one of the women on the forum (a Publisher) said that black women should "consider the bruthas in prison" because there were some good brothers in there just needing a chance. If they were so good, would they be in there in the first place? Of course, the room went silent according to the narration. True Story! A friend of mine went down the passionate, prison pen-pal of luv scenario. He got out on parole, 'cos now he had an address to give. She married him, 'cos she was Christian and didn't want sex outside of marriage. $10K legal fees later, he violates parole 8 months from his release and is back in prison. She's still married to him, outta her good christian, stick it out mentality. She's lonely, over-worked and now spends most of her time and money on his kid, who showed up outta the blue. True Romance! :nono:

I read something to this effect in Essence, that I should consider the janitor or the guy at Chucky Cheeze, Micky D's as long as he's Black, regardless of my college education and up there salary. Sometimes education, experience put you in different circles, etc. It's not saying that you're better than someone, but you may not have anything in common other than the color of your skin and nice role in the sack. However, the compromise says that I must ignore this and for the sanctity of Black Love, I must compromise my standards,wants, needs, etc and just get a "brutha" at my side.

My name ain't Kizzie and Massa is not around to mate me with Kunta. I'm all for "black" love if you find it, however limiting myself to it.....no. However, the non-black guys have a very hard time and criterium to go through before even getting a chance to take me out. :lachen:They have to pass, you're into me and not the "black thang" test. I make the test up, as I go along. If it runs them away, good! If they stand to have a passionate, intellectual argument with me to support their intentions....then hmmmm.:grin:

Whoa, sorry about your friends situation. I kind of understand what you are saying (bolded part)

I am just "learning" to date outside of my race. It was a taboo for me but I am slowly learning to deal with my inner demons. I love black men and would love to marry one but I am not going to cut myself short because love is blind so if i end up marrying a purple guy as long as he treats me good then i guess we will be having some purple babies /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Again (because I posted this a couple of years ago) If you get the chance read Boaz Brown by Michelle Stimpson. Great fiction book and that deal discuss this.

Last edited:
He was raised in Colombia until he was 5, and says racial attitudes are more hostile in America.

This would make me skeptical about his judgment. 5? What do we remember about the world at age 5? Kids don't usually behave/think/see in the world in color until they are much older (typically).

I do think African Americans get a bad rap in U.S., but I still stand by the point that it is easier for black people in the U.S. than in South America. Esp in Colombia. My friend grew up there and said most of the black people he knew were poor and worked as maids or selling corn on the cob on the streets. Also, he said one of his cousins was attracted to his black maid and when he joked to the guy about his "interest" he was so embarrassed and vehemently denied it and said he wouldn't "lower" himself to that.

In the Dominican Republic the black don't even consider themselves black. Some of them are much darker than even you and me and have tightly coiled hair but they'd rather die than admit they are even .000001 % African descent.

It's a sad world:nono:

You better preach dat, girl! :clapping::notworthy:

He was raised in Colombia until he was 5, and says racial attitudes are more hostile in America.

This would make me skeptical about his judgment. 5? What do we remember about the world at age 5? Kids don't usually behave/think/see in the world in color until they are much older (typically).

I do think African Americans get a bad rap in U.S., but I still stand by the point that it is easier for black people in the U.S. than in South America. Esp in Colombia. My friend grew up there and said most of the black people he knew were poor and worked as maids or selling corn on the cob on the streets. Also, he said one of his cousins was attracted to his black maid and when he joked to the guy about his "interest" he was so embarrassed and vehemently denied it and said he wouldn't "lower" himself to that.

In the Dominican Republic the black don't even consider themselves black. Some of them are much darker than even you and me and have tightly coiled hair but they'd rather die than admit they are even .000001 % African descent.
It's a sad world:nono:

I totally agree with this, especially the bolded parts. I think that racism exists everywhere, but people do notice how African American men and women seem to relate in a hostile manner towards one another also. And this is what I think the OP’s post was addressing, based on what her Colombian friend said.

Back