Waistlength and Beyond – Names + Regimens!

really? I didn't think i used a lot of heat. I'm def not a no heat woman but i don't use a lot of heat.
Its not like nothings ever happen to it..Ive had soooo many setbacks:lol:
Leaving my hair alone is what attributes to my hair health. The only time i really manipulate my hair is on wash day which is twice a month. Sometimes once a month. I don't comb it, i never hot curl it, i threw my hot curlers away a couple of years ago. don't brush it. same style every single day.
yeah i don't do protective styles but i have to be extra strict with my ends because of it. dustings dailys, sealing, oil etc. my regimen seems simple but it was a lot of work finding it, a lot of patience.. Soooo much patience:lol: No one in my family has hair past SL. My mom had thick hair but it was never long.

But your hair is absolutely gorgeous!!! And looks completely setback free! Yes I think its the fact that you leave it alone. I hear you about the heat. Its just that I have heard so many people say that they only use heat twice a year and only on weddings and funerals etc., etc.. But its good to see that using some heat is not a bad thing!!!!

I just want to get my regimen together properly and its taking me ages I think. True, I've only been really serious about it this last year. Hopefully I can come up with something (sigh). I think I'm going to die if I have to wait any longer for it to come together!

Thank ya'll so much for this. After much setbacks, I'm trying to get back to brastrap length. Don't let my avatar fool you. I've decided to revisit my old routine to get back on track... exercise, multivitamins, etc. You waistlength chick are keeping me inspired. From the time I first hit brastrap until now, I should have been well into waistlength. UGH!

I haven't seen you in a while, welcome back (if you were ever away :lol: )
You'll be back on track in no time, I'm sure :yep:

Ladies, my issue is that I workout 5 days a week. It's so hard to do a lo-manipulation when you're active. Any suggestions for those of us who sweat and stink?

This is a fantastic thread!! :worship2:

WL/HipL: Chicoro's regimen (general)

1. Detangle with fingers and section hair into loose braids. (no combing) If my hair is matted or really tangled, I rinse it to remove all product, I saturate it with a panthenol and water mix and then section it into loose braids using my fingers.
  2. Dilute shampoo in 2-3 cups of water and then wash hair in loose braids.
  3. Undo braids, slather thick conditioner on braids.
  4. Comb out each braid and twist each detangled braid out of the way.
  5. Place homemade leave in on hair (natural oil, aloe vera, rosemary essential oil)
  6. Saturate hair with conditioner concoction daily (the mix changes, but it usually has oil, aloe vera, water and some conditioner),
  7. Place un-petroleum jelly or vaseline on ends ends (1x only during the week. If I put this on, it will be directly after washing. I do not re-apply this daily.)
  8. Braid or twist into braids/bun.
  9. Put hair in baggie
  10. Every two-four months use a protein treatment *(used to use Aphogee but formula has changed. Still searching)
I am super tenderheaded and have never liked combing my hair. I comb it out only on wash day which is 1x per week. I have worn ponytails all my life as I like them! Wearing my hair up is fun and elegant.

I do not use hair typing as I do not find it helpful for me.

*If you have a question, please send a pm. I usually miss posted questions in threads.

(Thanks for the pm Flowerhair)

Cichelle and Flowerhair, amazing length. Congratulations on reaching tailbone!

Can't wait to buy your book, lovely lady! Thanks so much for this! :blowkiss:

^^^^^^^^ :yep:

Here is my hair banded:

NovDec2008071.jpg

or

Dec2008043.jpg

I do the second one more often. It looks funny, but it's easier on the hair and much faster. In the first pic, I was half way done with banding it in eight sections and when it was finished, I had used something like 80-100 elastics. Removing them without ripping the hair took forever. Some people use cut up pantyhose, which I think I'll try next time. The scrunchies, even though they are the small size, are really bulky.

I am pretty sure Poka has pics in her fotki. I think she does just two sections, though. I would too, but my hair would take forever to dry.

BREATHTAKING!! I have always been a HUGE fan, lady! Thanks so much for this! :blowkiss:

Subscribing...

This thread is so informative and you ladies have beautiful hair...Thanks Flowerhair, this was a fantastic idea!

Hello beautiful WLLs (waist length ladies) - Approximately how much hair sheds during your detangling/ washing sessions? Anybody using Aphogee?

You guys should have an "Ask a waist-length lady" thread.

Waist length ladies,

How often do you try different products? or do you stick to what has always worked?
I stick to pretty much the same things. I will try products that have similar ingredients or I feel will work as well with my hair but I pretty much use the same stuff as far as shampoo and conditioner especially. Q

Hello beautiful WLLs (waist length ladies) - Approximately how much hair sheds during your detangling/ washing sessions? Anybody using Aphogee?

You guys should have an "Ask a waist-length lady" thread.
I have very little shedding. I wish I could just use my hands but my hair would laugh so I use a bone comb. I don't know how much but the amount is small. I use Aphogee for my protein dc. I use the quick one not the hardcore. I dc once a month with either that or ion and then follow with a moisturizing conditioner. Q

It doesn't get any better than this!!! All the LHCF hair pros together in one massive informational thread! How inspiring is that?? :grin: Thanks, ladies, I'm subscribing, cause its gonna take me until next month to absorb all the great reggies, techniques, and tips you ladies are laying out here. Fabulous!!!!!

^^^^^^^^ :yep:

Here is my hair banded:

NovDec2008071.jpg

or

Dec2008043.jpg

I do the second one more often. It looks funny, but it's easier on the hair and much faster. In the first pic, I was half way done with banding it in eight sections and when it was finished, I had used something like 80-100 elastics. Removing them without ripping the hair took forever. Some people use cut up pantyhose, which I think I'll try next time. The scrunchies, even though they are the small size, are really bulky.

I am pretty sure Poka has pics in her fotki. I think she does just two sections, though. I would too, but my hair would take forever to dry.

Yeah, I only do two sections out of laziness and it does take days to completely dry unless I sit under the dryer. I'm gonna start doing them with more ponytails but probably no more than four. I really like doing this before I do a braid or twist out....it makes the prettiest waves.

Waist length ladies,

How often do you try different products? or do you stick to what has always worked?

I try different products all the time. As long as it's something that's going to better the health of my hair I'm ok with it.

But a question to all the WL ladies, how are you wearing your hair on a daily basis? Do you just keep to one or two hairstyles? Or do you think its important to switch it up?

I wear a ponytail everyday. I might wear it down once or twice a month. When I'm home my hair is always tucked away....never out.

For the relaxed WL ladies, who is self-relaxed and who goes to salons?

Also, how do you deal with underprocessed sections? Do you have a corrective done or just embrace the thickness?

Ladies, my issue is that I workout 5 days a week. It's so hard to do a lo-manipulation when you're active. Any suggestions for those of us who sweat and stink?

I work out regularly too, but I'm not lo-mani as far as washing/rinsing/cowashing, so I can't really give any tips. :( If I'm working out hard in the summer, I have to wash my hair after every workout because I will sweat like crazy. I wish I had an easier way for you. I think there was a thread here once about this very subject. If I find it, I'll bump it up for you.

Waist length ladies,

I used to try new products all of the time, but I tend stick to what works now. I will sometimes try new things, but they usually fall in the same category of what I already use. For instance, I will occasionally try a new kind of shampoo bar. But I'm unlikely to try different kinds of liquid shampoo (as in drug store or salon types) except for maybe AO, if they came out with something new. I did recently try a new conditioner called, Yes To Cucumbers. I liked it. :)

I shed a good deal. It's really all relative, though. What's a lot to one person might be nothing to another. One day, I'll have to take a picture of the shed hair after a typical detangling session. It LARGELY depends on how long I've gone since I've last detangled.

I used to worry about the amount of shedding I experience, but I don't give it a second thought at this point because it's been at about the same level for a few years now and I still have plenty of hair on my head!

I haven't done a protein treatment in a long time. When I used to do them, I stuck to the mild ones. At some point, I was suspecting that my hair was not liking protein too much. But I don't know if that was really the case. I just don't do any deep conditioning treatments except henna.

Cichelle.....what type of shampoo bars do you use?

I use Chagrin Valley and I really like those. Her soaps are wonderful.

^^^^^^^^^^^ :yep: I use them, too. I love them now. When I first used them a couple of years ago, I couldn't get it quite right. They gave me what I called, "crayon head". But now I love them so much. I'm not sure what's changed. Maybe some product I was using at the time didn't mix well with them or something.

I also use a shikakai shampoo bar that I used to buy at the Indian stores when I lived in NYC. I bought a whole bunch of them before I left because I knew I wouldn't be finding them where I am now.

I've tried LUSH shampoo bars, but didn't have much success with them. I might revisit that one day, though.

This thread is the business! Beautiful hair ladies. Thanks for sharing your regimens and answering the questions.

I just want to make it past SL. It's been almost 2 years. :wallbash:

^^^^^^^^^^^ :yep: I use them, too. I love them now. When I first used them a couple of years ago, I couldn't get it quite right. They gave me what I called, "crayon head". But now I love them so much. I'm not sure what's changed. Maybe some product I was using at the time didn't mix well with them or something.

I also use a shikakai shampoo bar that I used to buy at the Indian stores when I lived in NYC. I bought a whole bunch of them before I left because I knew I wouldn't be finding them where I am now.

I've tried LUSH shampoo bars, but didn't have much success with them. I might revisit that one day, though.
Yes, I had a hard time at first with shampoo bars. They take a bit to get used to. The other brands I tried stripped my hair but CV bars did not. They are very moisturizing.

I have a shikiakai bar as well and I like it. I oil my hair before using it and it really does help. The smell of this bar is a bit much for me though.

Great thread. All the 4A/4B naturals are my inspiration as I return to natural. I was APL, but then relaxed. I definitely know I can become WL as a natural.

For the relaxed WL ladies, who is self-relaxed and who goes to salons?

Also, how do you deal with underprocessed sections? Do you have a corrective done or just embrace the thickness?

In 2007 I did my own a few times and went to the salon a few times. All of 2008 I did my own relaxers and will continue to do so. Actually my husband does them for me:grin:

There was one time when I felt a little underprocessed and I did a corrective like a week later. Luckily I didn't suffer any ill affects from it. I am not bone straight anyway and I love that. My hair is so much thicker than it was since I dont go to the salon anymore because usually my hair gets pin straight. The last 3 inches or so of my hair is thinner than the rest which is probably the last of the hair that was relaxed at the salon.

Subscribing...

This thread is so informative and you ladies have beautiful hair...Thanks Flowerhair, this was a fantastic idea!

OMG your hair is absolutely gorgeous and you are a relaxed head at that!

I just saw pics of your 3 month progress and your growth was amazing.

I will definitely be stalking your fotki! :grin:

Hey yall:)
Im relaxed bone straight no lye. Touchup twice a year. 4a/b hair coarse.
I wear braidouts 50% and striaght hair 50% of the time
Shampoo every 2 weeks.
I don't comb my hair except only on wash day. wide tooth thru wet conditioner filled hair.
overnite deep conditions once a month
i don't do protective styles and wear my hair out every single day.
trims twice a year and dustings in between
staple products right now-ntm silk touch which i use as a moisturizer on my dry hair.
Rusk smoother which is my main con leave in. ntm deep conditioning treatment, P&N mask and jojoba oil. use Sabino for flat ironing and john frieda frizz ease for blowdrying
jojoba oil on my ends.
i rub ntm silk touch thru hair every nite then immediately put satin scarf on. Hair comes out sleek, smooth.
probably use direct heat once a month or once every two months

How long did it take you to reach your current length?:lick: What length are you coming from??

great thread! You ladies are my hair heroines.
Thanks for the banding tips; I'm using that method right now. The cut up pantyhose idea is much more appealing than the rubber bands that i'm using. Do any of you have pics of the end result after banding? Thanks!:grin:

late to the party (thanks for inviting me FlowerHair!!), but checking in as a past waist-length (when stretched) natural :)

I'm actually still working on a regimen for the colder months. I've only been fully natural a year. I transitioned for 3 and a half years with small trims and a lot of buns and ponytails (which I'm addicted to anyway).
My hair is super easy when its warm and i can walk around with damp hair. I co-wash 2-4 times a week (depending on how sweaty I get in my workouts) with a Suave cheapie, then I usually leave in some Herbal Essences hello hydration for a couple minutes, go through my hair with a shower comb and then my Denman (love how it smooths and prevents later knots by getting out all the shed hair), throw in some Honey Hemp conditioner as a leave-in and go, maybe spritz in some jojoba. When I wear it down I usually comb through some Garnier Soft Curl Creme while I'm still in the shower.
My hair stays so moisturized in the summer sometimes I just cleanse my scalp and detangle and its still looks halfway decent.

Right now I've been experimenting with different things. Mainly ways to stay fairly low manipulation but keep my hair untangled and well moisturized. My flatiron and rollerset attempts have been less succesful.
I like using a combo of coconut and jojoba as a pre-poo, then washing with Kinky Curly's Come Clean, and detangling with hello hydration.
Sometimes I just use a bit of coconut and jojoba after I wash and put it on after a dab of Honey Hemp. I'll put my hair back in a braid, twist, bun, or band it and it keeps well moisturized.
I suck at hairstyles though.
And for whatever reason in the colder weather any attempt at braids, twists, and braidouts and twistouts end up looking a hot mess!!

I think my hair type is 3c/4a
I started out in May 2004 with barely shoulder length relaxed hair
I use a satin pillow case at night and put my hair in a high ponytail, or if my hair is pulled back I throw on a scarf
I got tons of weird stares from non-blacks last week when my hair was straightened, but I probably get just as many or more when I wear my hair out kinky and super huge, people are probably wondering where my face is under all of it! :lol:

late to the party (thanks for inviting me FlowerHair!!), but checking in as a past waist-length (when stretched) natural :)

I'm actually still working on a regimen for the colder months. I've only been fully natural a year. I transitioned for 3 and a half years with small trims and a lot of buns and ponytails (which I'm addicted to anyway).
My hair is super easy when its warm and i can walk around with damp hair. I co-wash 2-4 times a week (depending on how sweaty I get in my workouts) with a Suave cheapie, then I usually leave in some Herbal Essences hello hydration for a couple minutes, go through my hair with a shower comb and then my Denman (love how it smooths and prevents later knots by getting out all the shed hair), throw in some Honey Hemp conditioner as a leave-in and go, maybe spritz in some jojoba. When I wear it down I usually comb through some Garnier Soft Curl Creme while I'm still in the shower.
My hair stays so moisturized in the summer sometimes I just cleanse my scalp and detangle and its still looks halfway decent.

Right now I've been experimenting with different things. Mainly ways to stay fairly low manipulation but keep my hair untangled and well moisturized. My flatiron and rollerset attempts have been less succesful.
I like using a combo of coconut and jojoba as a pre-poo, then washing with Kinky Curly's Come Clean, and detangling with hello hydration.
Sometimes I just use a bit of coconut and jojoba after I wash and put it on after a dab of Honey Hemp. I'll put my hair back in a braid, twist, bun, or band it and it keeps well moisturized.
I suck at hairstyles though.
And for whatever reason in the colder weather any attempt at braids, twists, and braidouts and twistouts end up looking a hot mess!!

I think my hair type is 3c/4a
I started out in May 2004 with barely shoulder length relaxed hair
I use a satin pillow case at night and put my hair in a high ponytail, or if my hair is pulled back I throw on a scarf
I got tons of weird stares from non-blacks last week when my hair was straightened, but I probably get just as many or more when I wear my hair out kinky and super huge, people are probably wondering where my face is under all of it! :lol:

I just stalked your Fotki. OMG, your hair is gorgeous. Thanks for posting your summer and winter regimens.

Oh man! I wish I had seen this before I sent you the PM. I should have known that shampoo bars would come up in this thread at some point.:yep: Do you think poo bars are good at removing cones, or will I still need to stay with my clarifying routine with baking soda.

For the relaxed WL ladies, who is self-relaxed and who goes to salons? :look:

Also, how do you deal with underprocessed sections? Do you have a corrective done or just embrace the thickness? :yep:

Back