Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/2012-3/31/2012)

Why are you re-twisting your hair so often? Can't you wash in twists?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

No I cannot. I have tried several times and its just waste of time. When water hits my hair, whether I touch it or not my hair unravels from the root. When it unravels it tangles. And it is harder to retwist it once it goes haywire than to just start from scratch.

I cannot even mist my hair unless is primarily oils. :nono:

The good news is because my hair straightens out when water hits it, I really don't have to detangle.

No I cannot. I have tried several times and its just waste of time. When water hits my hair, whether I touch it or not my hair unravels from the root. When it unravels it tangles. And it is harder to retwist it once it goes haywire than to just start from scratch.

I cannot even mist my hair unless is primarily oils. :nono:

The good news is because my hair straightens out when water hits it, I really don't have to detangle.

Wow.. twisting every 4 days is a ton of work and maipulation.. even if a waterfall came down on me my hair wont unravel. Isnt there some other style that takes shorter time than twisting ... maybe larger twistouts every 4 days? Cornrows every week?

Wow.. twisting every 4 days is a ton of work and maipulation.. even if a waterfall came down on me my hair wont unravel. Isnt there some other style that takes shorter time than twisting ... maybe larger twistouts every 4 days? Cornrows every week?

No not yet. My hair isn't long enough for either to look decent. My shrinkage even after stretching is major so my twistouts just look like afros. And at this length I'm not feeling the cornrows unless I had someone else do them.

Right now I don't have many options. I can twist every 4 days or every 7 days. It's going to be another 3 to 6 months before I have enough length to do anything else.

My hair is very time consuming. But fortunately I have been at this for 16 months and I have gotten used to twisting my entire head every week. When I first started it took me 4 hours to twist my hair. I did that every Sunday. Now I can do it in 1.5 hours. So I'm thankful for the progress.

Well ... more power to you. I think i wore mine in braids mostly at that length. We'll keep rooting for you hun.. i can't wait for you to start bunning... :)

faithVA My hair was very time consuming to twist and style at that length as well. I don't know how the time commitment decreased with more length and thickness, but trust me, it does get easier!

@faithVA My hair was very time consuming to twist and style at that length as well. I don't know how the time commitment decreased with more length and thickness, but trust me, it does get easier!

Thanks NappyNelle. The time is getting shorter which is why I can consider doing it midweek. I am thinking that once my twists hang closer to my shoulders I can make them bigger. I just try to be thankful for the little things :yep:

I think I am changing my duration of twists from three weeks to two weeks. These might not make it. So changing it to an every two weeks redo.

Sent from my A100 using A100

I'm actually starting to enjoy wearing my bun. :) It's so easy, looks neat, and I'm never late for work anymore trying to perfect my wash and go. :lol:

I do feel a little boring though!

my first style for the year (from the salon)

cornrows with twists put up into a frenchroll to tuck my ends away :grin:
I have the front out in a bang right now, but I'll wear it up in a pompador (sp) sometimes.

DSC02240-1.jpg

oh and my baby pony puff, achieved by making 2 pony tails, an inner one and an outer one. I think I'll wear twist outs or buns for the 3 days per week when Im not in twists

DSC02223-1.jpg

I'm home on break so I've been doing lots of experiments on my hair. I just discovered that knot today and the curling custard give me a fabulous wash and go. So tomorrow I'm going to try wetting my hair with a spray bottle, deep conditioning for an hour, and detangling. After my hair is detangled I'll put it in 10 twists, hop in the shower, shampoo my scalp, and rinse. After I get out I'll apply the products and see if my wash and go turns out. The only thing I'm worried about is detangling my hair with gel already in it. If I hit a snag I'll just shampoo and re-dc. I'll post pics if it's not a total fail.

Last edited:
I just realized that these are natural products and I should just be able to cowash them out! Duh. I'll try that instead.

I wore my twists half-up, half-down on Wednesday, but today, my twists are bunned. Three people asked me what kind of hair I used; they didn't believe me when I said it was my own hair. :ohwell:

With the exception of Christmas and NYE, my hair's been bunned for the past 2 weeks. Aphogee 2-step treatment followed by 3 weeks of twist to come on Saturday!

I can now make a pony tail!:blush::yay: My natural hair has never been long enough to do this! Now I have to research how to make my bun look polished. I'm so psyched!:band2::dance7: I will now be wearing buns as my growth style.:yep:

Speaking of buns i've been wearing one forever. I just rewet & remoisturize & seal and put a scarf on. I top it off with my wool scully cause it's freezing in NYC.

I've been rinsing daily because I sweat heavily during workouts so buns it shall be until I get the energy and time to attempt a real style & braid my hair.

Finished my twists earlier! :yep:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1325827800574.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325827800574.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 46
  • uploadfromtaptalk1325827821252.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325827821252.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 44
  • uploadfromtaptalk1325827857562.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325827857562.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 39
I can now make a pony tail!:blush::yay: My natural hair has never been long enough to do this! Now I have to research how to make my bun look polished. I'm so psyched!:band2::dance7: I will now be wearing buns as my growth style.:yep:

:congrats: DDTexlaxed. It is a major milestone. Please share some of your bun styles with us. I can't yet do a bun so I will be living through you :yep:

I am hoping by the end of March, that all of my hair is long enough to pull my twists at least into a high bun. Then hopefully I can just put in abou 40 twists and keep it moving.

I usually wear my twist out for one day and then put the hair into a banana clip the next day because my twist out shrinks up so much and I haven't figured out how to preserve it. But I twisted out my bangs only yesterday. And last night I was too tired to retwist all the twists. So I twisted the loose hair into 4 very loose twists, twisted those 4 together and put a rod on the end. Took them out this morning and my waves are still there and theres a very nice curl on the end.

Can't do the rod for the entire head because I'm not sleeping on rods. But next time I will try twisting the sections of hair into loose large sections and laying them down some type of way. Maybe it will work. :yep:

Ok so inspired by SimJam I took the time to braid my hair this morning. Be back with pics later. I wanna see how this do holds up to a hard sweaty cardio session and a rinse. I'm hoping to keep it for about a week!

I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing. I haven't worked all this week so I've just been hanging out at home (sick kiddos) So I've been GHEing all night and day until my DH comes home and then I pull the baggy off . Then I've been M&Sing at night, applying MT and Beemine sulfer serum and water mix to scalp every other night and massaging and just keep my twists pinned and covered. I did a mid-week co-wash on Wednesday as well with MT. My hair is feeling reall moisturized. I'm going to keep this up and see how it goes. I need to invest in some cute hats/scarfs to protect my hair from the cold weather when I go out. Then I'll only have my hair uncovered for a few hours in the evening when the hubby is home, at work, and at church. I'll check at the end of this month and see if this helped with retention at all since that's my problem.

[USER=337083 said:
JustGROWwithIt[/USER];14999773]I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing. I haven't worked all this week so I've just been hanging out at home (sick kiddos) So I've been GHEing all night and day until my DH comes home and then I pull the baggy off . Then I've been M&Sing at night, applying MT and Beemine sulfer serum and water mix to scalp every other night and massaging and just keep my twists pinned and covered. I did a mid-week co-wash on Wednesday as well with MT. My hair is feeling reall moisturized. I'm going to keep this up and see how it goes. I need to invest in some cute hats/scarfs to protect my hair from the cold weather when I go out. Then I'll only have my hair uncovered for a few hours in the evening when the hubby is home, at work, and at church. I'll check at the end of this month and see if this helped with retention at all since that's my problem.

What in the world is GHEing? I have seen it before. I know its similar to baggying right?

SimJam Thank you for the inspiration for my 1st long term (1 week :grin:) PS!

DSCF0103.jpg

DSCF0101.jpg

Ok so here are some of my cheats on the style. Bigger rows, I can never make exact size parts:spinning:. The very front of the style is actually just 2 strand twisted. My cornrows are finsished with a combo of 2 AND 3 strand twists. It really just depended on how much hair I was working with.

I'll see how it holds up for a week.

This is a terrible photo but it gets my point across...

I wore a wash and go for about 4 hours today, and then put it in 2 braids after I dampened my hair and added some Garnier Pure Clean conditioner as a leave-in. I'll moisturize my ends every morning and night, and I'll probably cowash/rebraid on Monday or Tuesday.

photo-6.jpg

I'm taking down my braids, which has takwn about 3-4 hours. What I've noticed is the need to be more careful when starting the braids. The roots were a little knotty because I had random loose pieces of hair out, which required more time to take then out. I also noticed that some braids were more moisturized than other parts of the hair, so I'll have to be more precise when moisturizing.

Sent from my ADR6300 using ADR6300

Think I'm going to bun for awhile-don't feel like doing a henna-buns cover grey better

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326036990.072176.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326036990.072176.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 37
Back