Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/2012-3/31/2012)

Washed, deep conditioned, re-twisted, moisturized and sealed then put on flexirods. My hair was still damp in some spots this morning so I pinned it up and threw a headband on... Twists look kind of fuzzy because I was rushing when I twisted. I will retwist a couple to freshen it up...
Photo%252520on%2525202012-01-09%252520at%25252016.32.jpg

I am wearing 2 strand twists in the front and a banana clip bun in the back. This is the first time I have worn a bun for a week and I like it. Because of the length, I can only get 2/3rds of my hair in a bun. I definitely think with more length buns will be part of my regular styles.

I am monitoring though this week to see how my ends and edges hold up and if the added manipulation of bunning is causing any noticeable issues.

Cowashed on Tuesday and put hair in two braids. I will wash, dc, detangle, and bun for the weekend I think. Maybe a wash and go pony. Either way, I'll be back to two braids on Monday.

I'm in! I'm already in the Cn'G challenge and will be doing my twists until this challenge is over, then maybe a set of extension twists...count me in!

Ladies, where can I get a nice 4a/b phony pony to buy online ... i see some that are huge, I dont want a phony puff, I want a phony pony.

any suggestions

Ladies, where can I get a nice 4a/b phony pony to buy online ... i see some that are huge, I dont want a phony puff, I want a phony pony.

any suggestions

I know I have seen them in different threads but I don't know right off hand. You may want to do a search on phony ponies.

[USER=285954 said:
itsjusthair88[/USER];15040335]I'm in! I'm already in the Cn'G challenge and will be doing my twists until this challenge is over, then maybe a set of extension twists...count me in!

Mention me when you complete the 1st post and add your pic and I will add you to the list of challengers.

Welcome!

faithVA, will you post a pic of your banana clip bun?

I'm in chunky twists this week...my hair shrinks so bad I can never pull them back or tuck my ends. Off to find out how to stretch/band.

Just thought I would share my bun style for today. It was a figure 8 fail turned..."I like it" style.

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 57
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 53
@faithVA, will you post a pic of your banana clip bun?

I'm in chunky twists this week...my hair shrinks so bad I can never pull them back or tuck my ends. Off to find out how to stretch/band.

I will try to remember to take a pic before I take it down tonight. It is going to look rough though because its going to be an end of the day shot.

Mention me when you complete the 1st post and add your pic and I will add you to the list of challengers.

Welcome!

faithVA Oh good! Okay, here's my first post:

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Twists/Bunning
What is your style maintenance regimen?
Shampoo/Light Protein/Moisture DC once a week, let-air-dry about 65% of the way and then blowdry and twist or bun, mid week moisture spray and use sulfur mix every other night
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
I's Natchal :look:
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Retain every inch I grow
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
If I wear it out at all? Then after 2 days, because it will just be a special weekend treat
Include Starting Pic(I decided to use my twists pic as my starting pic, the twists will be my last pic as well):
photo5.jpg

Just took my twists out last night after a week and a half. I'm going to rollerset my hair today and (as long as it lasts) I plan to wear it in a bun all week and then back to twists for 2 weeks. We'll see!

What in the world is GHEing? I have seen it before. I know its similar to baggying right?

Sorry I just saw this question! :drunk:
It's similar to baggying except you don't use a conditioner on your hair. So it can be done dry or after to m&S your hair, or on wet hair. The point it to let the heat open your pores and release sebum from your scalp to encourage hair growth, and it helps keep your hair protected and moisturized because it creates a steamy "environment". It makes my hair feel super moist. I usually do it on dry hair after m&s'ing.

Ladies, I'm with you from the sidelines!!! :yep: I'm still having phone issues that are preventing me from posting pics and now I'm waiting until Feb 1st for an upgrade. :angry2:

Anyway, here is my original posts and I'll have pics toward the middle of this challenge.

Start by Telling Us (Cut and paste)
  1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists and bunning are my primary styles, esp bunning since I've found a cute ballerina type bun by twisting my afro puff and pinning it down.
  2. What is your style maintenance regimen? I'm styling my hair once a week with twists or a bun and if its twists, I'll wear my twistout for 2 days tops, then shampoo and retwist.
  3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? I'm au naturale baby!! :lol:
  4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? My focus this year is length and health. I will be two years natural in May and I want my hair to GROW, GROW, GROW and protective styling works for me. :afro:
  5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? At most I will restyle after 3 days tops. My general rule is 2 days because I work out daily so the sweat is horrid on loose hair.
  6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). I know I'm a sideline unofficial challenger. :sad:
================================================
Share any suggestions for the challenge (other than extensions, wigs, etc).

Happy Growing Ladies! :yahoo:

I put in box braids. It wasn't as hard as I thought. It is my first time doing box braids. When I finished I didn't like it. My hair looked so thin. But as the day wears on, it is growing on me. I put the braids on perm rods so it has a curly look. I am feeling better about them.

It would be great it I could wear them for two weeks. We will see. I will try to post a pic tomorrow.

I put in box braids. It wasn't as hard as I thought. It is my first time doing box braids. When I finished I didn't like it. My hair looked so thin. But as the day wears on, it is growing on me. I put the braids on perm rods so it has a curly look. I am feeling better about them.

It would be great it I could wear them for two weeks. We will see. I will try to post a pic tomorrow.

How long did it take for you to put them in? How big are they?

I put my twists in two french braids last night. Attempted a braid out and didn't like it. Put some twists out in the front for bangs and pinned the rest up.

How long did it take for you to put them in? How big are they?

I put my twists in two french braids last night. Attempted a braid out and didn't like it. Put some twists out in the front for bangs and pinned the rest up.

It took me about 3 hours. And they are supposed to be 1" :look: My parting is terrible :lol: Considering it was my first time I don't think it was too bad. It would have been quicker too if I moisturized an entire section at once. But I put SM Hair Milk on each piece and that slows me down.

I will post a pic later tonight because I did actually take one. The good thing is that the braids actually show some length so although my hair looks thin, at least it looks longer than with the twist :ohwell:

I washed and conditioned my hair today, and am going into week 2 of these twists. The front needs to be redone, but I'm going to try to wait until next week before week 3. Goal is still to keep these twists in until the 28th. My hair really does thrive when I leave it the heck alone.

I washed and flat twisted my hair. Meh its iight. I might re-twist it using something else and doing it dry instead of wet.

I took down my braids after I had them in for about two weeks this past Thursday. I washed and twisted my hair this evening. I'm going to try to keep these in for two weeks as well. I used Kera Care's Twist and Define cream to twist my hair. I really like it.

I've been wearing a wash and go pony with queen helene's natural gel. I like it, very soft, moisturized, and cheap. Tomorrow I'll prepoo with grape seed oil, shampoo, condition, and moisturize for my two braids. I kind of like this new regimen.

Last edited:
futurelonglocks, can you share how you cowash/wash in your mini twists? I usually take my down because they end up looking fuzzy. TIA

Hey gvin89! I apologize, I'm just seeing your question. I don't do anything special. Just focus on my scalp with my condish and add condish to the lenght of my hair by smoothing it on with both hands. I found that the smaller the twists, the less fuzzy they get.

futurelonglocks i just watched a video by naptural85 where she said the very same tihng ... smaller twists = less frizz

http://www.youtube.com/user/Naptural85#p/u/0/TdlunJnsvmI

I ended up doing my bangs in mini twists after watching that video lol ... im gonna try keep these in for as long as possible and also test washing on them to see how my hair deals with it before I spend a whole wekend putting them in then look like a fuzzball the first time I wash ... i would not be happy at all.

Aww, if I had seen this sooner I probably would've joined. I'm kind of doing this right now. Wearing a bun during the work week and loose ponytail on weekends. All on twisted out hair of course-I never let my hair dry shrunken. I'm sooo happy I have enough hair to bun.

Imani there is no cut off to join ... come on in !!!

update

the style is getting on my last nerve, I cowashed this morning and now my scalp is itching like crazy and I have no time until the weekend to take it down.

I found a nice pony puff that i want to try out, I had to cut it down because it was too big, (actually i may trim it down some more) but I plan to put my ends in about 6 - 8 twists and baggy them under the pony puff.

Im gonna wear a bun for 2 - 3 days then twist back up. My hair will be stretched so i can make some nice twists on dry hair :)

Back